Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tendales posted:

Has anyone looked at Outbreak: Deep Space yet? We just got it in the store, and at first glance it looks like they're trying to be the Dead Space RPG. Just in time for, uh, Christmas!

It sounds like there could be some interesting ideas in there (no idea about the execution thereof) and I do like me some Dead Space, but man, RPG ad copy is always hilarious.

quote:

Fluid Chracter Advancements and Unique party Roles (be the 'morale center', or 'gun nut' of the group!).

Unique party roles like "the guy who loves guns," truly a thing no RPG has been ambitious enough to tackle before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think I might 'borrow' that copy before it goes on the shelf and give it a read.

Quick story: One of the devs (or someone involved in the game, anyway, wasn't too clear) came into the store to pitch the game to us. While we were yammering about rpgs in general, the conversation drifted to the upcoming FFG apocalypse quadrology, and I commented on how they're going to be 'stat yourself in the apocalypse!!!' games, which is like babby's first heartbreaker game pitch. He gave me a dead stare, and started talking about the game he's working on currently, where you stat up yourself in the apocalypse...

Awkward...

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tendales posted:

I think I might 'borrow' that copy before it goes on the shelf and give it a read.

Quick story: One of the devs (or someone involved in the game, anyway, wasn't too clear) came into the store to pitch the game to us. While we were yammering about rpgs in general, the conversation drifted to the upcoming FFG apocalypse quadrology, and I commented on how they're going to be 'stat yourself in the apocalypse!!!' games, which is like babby's first heartbreaker game pitch. He gave me a dead stare, and started talking about the game he's working on currently, where you stat up yourself in the apocalypse...

Awkward...

Well all of their scenarios are in space so it's completely different.

What is the system they use like? Why wouldn't I just use a generic system because the premises are pretty generic?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
It's bound to be better than Cold & Dark (the other Dead Space RPG) either way

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

What is the system they use like? Why wouldn't I just use a generic system because the premises are pretty generic?

Who, FFG, or the Outbreak guys?

Well, the answer in both cases is 'I dunno', since FFG's games aren't nearly out yet, and I'm still at work so I haven't snuck Outbreak home with me yet. Their previous game, Outbreak: Undead, was a pretty standard d100 system, if that helps any.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tendales posted:

Who, FFG, or the Outbreak guys?

I meant Outbreak.

quote:

Well, the answer in both cases is 'I dunno', since FFG's games aren't nearly out yet, and I'm still at work so I haven't snuck Outbreak home with me yet. Their previous game, Outbreak: Undead, was a pretty standard d100 system, if that helps any.

I hope they have some good material in the books because everything is sounding pretty boring.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Not super relevant, but my friend mentioned some guy doing a good job homebrewing the necromorphs of Dead Space into All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's the second time AFMBE's come up in the chat thread in recent memory. I could see it doing a Dead Space-esque game pretty easily, there was already a sci-fi book for it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I don't own AFMBE. Is it any good? Is it that one where you stat yourself?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Covok posted:

I haven't read my copy in years so I can't remember much of the rules but AFMBE is great. Its also perfectly capable of stating yourself but not expected or required. And I can easily believe it does necromorphs well since it has a great "zombie customization" system that can create all sorts of undead nasties. Creative use can create other kinds of monsters too.

And yeah it had a sci-fi supplement.

I should reread it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Covok posted:

AFMBE was put out by Eden Studios, they of Buffy RPG and Conspiracy X "fame," and it was essentially their own pocket "GURPS: Zombies" using the regular, non-cinematic Unisystem. They published a whole slew of zombie themed, genre-slanted sourcebooks, including sci-fi, kung fu, pirates/age of sail, and I kid you not pro wrestling, plus a "zombies of the world" sourcebook with undead monsters from various cultures and myths, and the thing is they were actually all pretty decent to good. This was all before nerd pop culture hit peak zombie, so they weren't as worn out at the time either.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I've been flipping through Outbreak, and so far... well. The layout is awful. Text bleeds into the margin art. Character creation is completely nonsense. Honestly, this book is reading like a collection of someone's design notes, arranged vaguely into categories. Sometimes those categories are labelled wrong. Almost all of the gamemaster section's pages are labelled 'the turn' for some reason.

This is actually an appallingly unpolished sophomore effort.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Sounds like the latest FATAL & Friends sensation.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Nah, that's probably going to be John Wick's next book of advice for GMs.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I'm considering it, but I suspect I'd just end up wearing out the question mark key on my keyboard.

'So the GM rolled an E%...' He did???? Why???????

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tendales posted:

I've been flipping through Outbreak, and so far... well. The layout is awful. Text bleeds into the margin art. Character creation is completely nonsense. Honestly, this book is reading like a collection of someone's design notes, arranged vaguely into categories. Sometimes those categories are labelled wrong. Almost all of the gamemaster section's pages are labelled 'the turn' for some reason.

Welcome to FFG.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yawgmoth posted:

Welcome to FFG.

FFG is pretty bad about things if my Rogue Trader book is anything to go by. But I don't think they did Outbreak.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

Nah, that's probably going to be John Wick's next book of advice for GMs.

Please, no more.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Please, no more.

Honestly I'm legit curious to see if John Wick's GMing advice remains the same or if his supposed play style has changed any over the years. Not curious enough to pay for the privilege, mind you.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

My friends and I have been working on fine tuning a larp rules set we've been playing with for a couple years that's based loosely on Houses of the Blooded with the Wick stripped out. I'd like to eventually release it, but I worry... what if there's still too much Wick? What if I have to deal with him?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tendales posted:

That'll be an interesting conversation when that guy comes back into the store, then.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Honestly I'm legit curious to see if John Wick's GMing advice remains the same or if his supposed play style has changed any over the years. Not curious enough to pay for the privilege, mind you.

I actually went to his website to see if he wrote anything that showed any positive growth and there was a 2 part interview with Zak S. I'd wager that he hasn't changed much.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, at the height of the Consultantpot Dome Scandal, I recall Wick pimping some rambling Hangout on his YouTube where he and Zak bullshit about being too edgy and truth-telly for all the normies.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Plague of Hats posted:

Yeah, at the height of the Consultantpot Dome Scandal, I recall Wick pimping some rambling Hangout on his YouTube where he and Zak bullshit about being too edgy and truth-telly for all the normies.

Yep, and omfg it's a proclick just to realize they both sound exactly like you'd imagine they do.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
The highlight of that video was Zak S. warping Goldilocks and the 3 Bears into D&D rules.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

AFMBE was put out by Eden Studios, they of Buffy RPG and Conspiracy X "fame," and it was essentially their own pocket "GURPS: Zombies" using the regular, non-cinematic Unisystem. They published a whole slew of zombie themed, genre-slanted sourcebooks, including sci-fi, kung fu, pirates/age of sail, and I kid you not pro wrestling, plus a "zombies of the world" sourcebook with undead monsters from various cultures and myths, and the thing is they were actually all pretty decent to good. This was all before nerd pop culture hit peak zombie, so they weren't as worn out at the time either.

One of the Living is especially worth picking up because it deals entirely with the whole idea of life in a zombie apocalypse, trying to rebuild some semblance of civilization, fulfilling basic needs, etc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
There weren't really many books for the line that were bad except I guess the fiction anthology and some mini-supplements full of pregenerated archetypes which were thoroughly average. Eden's kind of an unsung bygone these days which is a shame, though I'm glad to see them Kickstarting more ConX2.0 stuff. Beyond Human never really materialized and that City of Heroes RPG was probably a bad idea from the outset (which also never materialized).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Please, no more.

At least I posted it out over only two days, just imagine what it would've been like if I had done my usual "post once a day" F&F policy.

I ripped that bandaid off lightning-quick, all things considered.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Tendales posted:

Every two months the same discussion comes up where it turns out everyone else but me apparently hates "stat yourself up" games :mad:

Lots of new people in the thread last month, though--any of you new folks also have nothing but good-to-great-to-best-campaign-ever experiences with games that start with something like "O.K., you are all sitting around this table in our gaming room when you hear an explosion outside?"

Edit: I mean when I found out about the Fantasy Fight Games Quadrology Of The Apocalypse or whatever they call it, I forwarded it along to my classic gaming group and 3/4 of them literally responded like OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AMAZING SOMEONE ELSE FINALLY UNDERSTANDS THAT THIS SHOULD BE FORMALLY PUT TOGETHER

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I'm not sure whether it involved statting oneselves or not in the end (sadly I couldn't attend that particular game), but a fellow goon did a hilarious campy take on "Escape from New York" based on an infamous district of a city we live in.

Let's just say it began with a Tupolev crashing down over the local hive of scum & villainy and the rest is history.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Quarex posted:

Every two months the same discussion comes up where it turns out everyone else but me apparently hates "stat yourself up" games :mad:

Lots of new people in the thread last month, though--any of you new folks also have nothing but good-to-great-to-best-campaign-ever experiences with games that start with something like "O.K., you are all sitting around this table in our gaming room when you hear an explosion outside?"

Edit: I mean when I found out about the Fantasy Fight Games Quadrology Of The Apocalypse or whatever they call it, I forwarded it along to my classic gaming group and 3/4 of them literally responded like OH MY GOD THIS IS SO AMAZING SOMEONE ELSE FINALLY UNDERSTANDS THAT THIS SHOULD BE FORMALLY PUT TOGETHER

It's always been boring as hell. Nobody really wants to play themselves in an RPG because most people are either boring or don't want to reveal their darkest secrets at the table. So while playing a vampire hunter or something, you can come up with an alcoholic dude who killed both his kids in a car accident and is also a detective, but ''John, the GameStop guy'' isn't really that interesting in play.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And now, an overly complex solution to a well and solved problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUkGxaLVfE

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Waffleman_ posted:

And now, an overly complex solution to a well and solved problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAUkGxaLVfE

So it's basically an uglier version of Tabletop Simulator.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ratpick posted:

So it's basically an uglier version of Tabletop Simulator.

It's also incredibly impractical.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I once tried to stat myself in AFMBE... I had to exaggerate quite a few of my skills to meet the points buy limit even for a "Norm", nevermind getting close to "Survivor" level. :sigh:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

My curiosity got the best of me and I watched this. Holy gently caress. It is the dumbest poo poo I have ever heard. "to stay true to history, role playing games came before D&D" "Ok, I'll accept that premise." They just stake out random positions on pointless poo poo, and refuse to budge in the face of reality. "A roleplaying game has no fluff." Every sentence is wrong. I'm coming to think that "RPG designer" is a step below idiot making GBS threads their pants and smearing it on their face like warpaint.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

"A roleplaying game has no fluff."

Creates a roleplaying game based around a strict, class based society and a metaplot that can't be deviated from.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

My curiosity got the best of me and I watched this. Holy gently caress. It is the dumbest poo poo I have ever heard. "to stay true to history, role playing games came before D&D" "Ok, I'll accept that premise." They just stake out random positions on pointless poo poo, and refuse to budge in the face of reality. "A roleplaying game has no fluff." Every sentence is wrong. I'm coming to think that "RPG designer" is a step below idiot making GBS threads their pants and smearing it on their face like warpaint.

There are plenty of designers who aren't jackasses, but as is often the case you don't know it because they don't do stuff like make videos about how awesome they are.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I think it might be like the difference between "gamer" and people who play games. Like Greg Stolze just calls himself a writer, because he can write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Those "stat yourself" games sound like they'd be loving awesome if the last thing you do at character creation is pass your character sheet to the left.

• Locked thread