Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

:smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Aaaaand my girlfriend just totaled her Subaru. She's fine, but the car's done. Let's end it strong, 2014.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, you remember that Scion for Soldiers contest last month I spammed here? Well, I didn't win, but that's no biggie. I did get this email, however

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for serving, congratulations once again.

At this time the winners of the Scion XB have been notified. However, with Scion every warrior wins. Scion is honoring every soldier whose video was posted on the scion for soldiers website with a check for $250.00.

I've attached a copy of the Ride & Event flyer for your convenience, and you do not have to be present to receive this award.

If you can make it we will have your V.I.P. tickets available for you at Hogs & Horses. Your ticket includes food, 2 drinks, and preferred seating. Please RSVP to this email if you have not already done so a this time.

Thank you again for serving and for giving us the opportunity to hear your story.

The final event on the Ride and Event flyer was in Hogs and Horses bar/grill up in Cave Creek. That's 45 minutes away, but worth it for $250 and some greasy bar food, right? Well, I reply to that email a few days ago when I got it, she confirms the RSVP and whatever "VIP" tickets are. The final stop on the flyer, Hogs and Horses, was scheduled to go from 1500-1800, with winners and prizes handed out at 1800, at the very end. I told her that I wouldn't be able to make it until 1600, she said that was fine.

So, I make it up there by 1645 because I vastly underestimate how loving far it is in traffic, and because this is our drill weekend and it ran a little longer than usual, but I'm still there. Out front there's the scion people, I talk to them, nobody knows what the gently caress I'm talking about. They confirm that there is a "VIP lounge" upstairs for all of the soldiers that had videos posted, but that all of the tickets were handed out already and I couldn't go up there. I give them my name, they say I'm not on the list (a first in my life - really loving bizarre. I've never been to a place with "a list" before). I snoop around a bit inside and try to talk to people, already really loving embarrassed because finding out where your free poo poo is that you don't even deserve but people insist on giving you is really loving embarrassing. They start announcing raffle winners around 1700 while I'm still looking around, and all of the drunk bikers and organizers are acting really shady and I feel like they're glaring at me.

Eventually, I left, and sent this email to the organizer:

quote:

I came all the way up to hogs n horses (I'm here now, 1705, a little late but the best I could do with drill), but couldn't find where to go for awhile, and then when I did find the right area, nobody had my name and it was confusing, so I'm going home. The raffle had just started, for timeframe. Thank you anyway, and have a happy holiday.

Then, on the way home, I suffered a puncture, and it looks like it was from the chip rock parking lot gravel they had at Hogs and Horses. A rock got stuck in my tread, and just a few miles down the road it punctured through (there was a vibration, yes, but Cave Creek road is a piece of loving pile of poo poo gently caress lovely condition gently caress lovely road that I didn't notice any difference than on the way up). My tires still have 80% tread left easily, and are only a year old, but no place is willing to put a plug in a loving center-of-tread pinhole puncture. Thankfully, last year my uncle bought me an AMA membership, and they were willing to come and tow my small car back to my house.

I know it seems weird to be butthurt about a contest loving up, but this was under the guise of helping soldiers etc, I was only late because I was at a National Guard drill (and she said there is no such thing as "late" unless I showed up after 1800), and now I'm out easily another $150 for a pair of tires, money I don't have in the loving holiday season. Everything about today was bullshit :suicide:

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 7, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh so you were that guy in the military :v:

Knew a guy who fell for those girls habitually. Last I heard he married a hooker from Subic Bay and was now supporting her and her entire family.

lol yep. When I was in Japan I was dating a Philippine chick for awhile until her sister told me her grand plan of marrying a GI to get citizenship in the US and bring her entire family over. When I told her I would never marry her I expected her to dump me and she did which was fine with me. I ended up marrying a Japanese girl and she was the exact opposite, hated the US and wanted nothing to do with it so I sent her home on a one way ticket :v:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Geirskogul posted:

no place is willing to put a plug in a loving center-of-tread pinhole puncture.

Um, the gently caress?
I mean, toward the end of my tire career I started pushing the limits and fixing just about everything regardless of what my company said was unrepairable (but still sticking to the Rubber Manufacturers' Association guidelines) just to see what I could get to hold together reliably without separating, but that doesn't sound remotely unrepairable unless you ran on it flat. Hearing stories about tire guys in the US always confuses me, much in the same way as hearing stories about life in the USSR.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
From what I understand, it's the easiest, safest plug to do, and I didn't run it on flat or anything. Just the local area, I guess.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get a plug kit and plug it yourself? It's not difficult in the slightest.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

leica posted:

Get a plug kit and plug it yourself? It's not difficult in the slightest.

I mean I don't like external plugs except as a temporary solution in a pinch (they tend to cause separations) but if the shops are refusing to fix it there's no reason to take it out of service, pop one in and keep rollin'. Then find a tire shop that isn't full of dipshits to remove that plug and stem-plug+patch it properly at your convenience.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I've never had Discount refuse to plug a tire that wasn't either punctured on the shoulder or worn to hell. The latter one, I plugged myself and it worked alright (the tire was drat worn after all).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's just a bullshit day and I have to get up at 3AM to be at the unit by 4AM to do this loving Muster.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sigma X posted:

Aaaaand my girlfriend just totaled her Subaru. She's fine, but the car's done. Let's end it strong, 2014.

Jesus christ dude. How many cars is she going to go through?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

Well I went and checked out what was there and came home with nothing. The 2005 Tacoma with 208k on it had a reserve of $6,000. No, that is not a typo.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So a long short story to explain why today was pretty awesome:

I reconnected with an old friend about 6 weeks ago. He saw my contact info on Facebook and gave me a buzz, I found out he was in the hospital about 3 hours away.

Went to visit, found out he is in late stages of AIDS. He wasn't getting the care he needed, family had cut him off because GAY, was living alone in the middle of nowhere.

Was heartbroken and made some calls when I got back home. Rounded up good medical care options, good community groups that could help and that he could give back to. Told him if he was willing, I could put him up for a couple of weeks if he wanted to investigate the resources and consider a move.

Today was moving day. He's been seeing a local clinic specializing in AIDS care, and they've been able to resuscitate his kidneys (creatine has dropped from 4.6 - near failure - to 2.9 and he's been able to pee without a catheter intermittently for the first time in 3 years). They swapped up his HIV meds and it seems to be helping. Also addressed some other miscellaneous blood issues impacting his health.

He has an apartment and some great people helped him move in today. I'm looking forward to helping him unpack over the next few weeks.

He's also reconnected with his family, and while there is a lot of work left there, progress is tangible.

As if all of that weren't awesome enough: he is the king of awesome stuff. He gave me tons of old school MTV swag along with other cool TV and movie memorabilia. He also gave me his video collection which he promises is full of cool random stuff. About 500 Beta and VHS from the 70s - early 90s.

So far, the one tape I dropped into my conversion rig was an audition tape for voice actors for the Snuggle Bear commercials. It was both awesome and frightening at the same time. I'll have to throw that one up on YouTube soon.

I also may buy some of his other cool swag, including a new in box Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Genesis, and a gazillion games.

Did I also mention he has a freaking Lambchop puppet? Like one of the real Shari Lewis ones? And a real Elmo puppet? And remember the Pets.com puppet? Yep, one of those too.

Moving was amazing - just peeking in every box to figure out what room things should go in brought a new surprise.

We worked together many moons ago in TV - me as an intern, he as a writer. I knew he had exposure to some cool things because he gave me some cool experiences. But I had no idea he had been hoarding random bits and pieces all those years.

Anyway, today (and the past weeks of helping) have been a bright spot in an otherwise crappy year.

He still has challenges ahead, but at least now he has a fighting chance to start living again.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 7, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I'm also making so much at my job, it makes little sense to keep working for people that don't really like me anymore.

My employer hates me and pays me comfortably. That's the hosed up part.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My employer hates me and pays me comfortably. That's the hosed up part.

I've held so many jobs like that.

Even my shop. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Finally got around to replacing the stem seals in the master bath shower today. I'll throw some pictures up in the "not to code" thread when I get them off my phone, but besides the valve seats being hilariously eroded, I discovered that the previous owners who had remodeled the bathroom (as far as I can tell, they replaced a tub with a enclosed shower) mounted the plumbing too far from the actual shower wall. They had to cut down both the escutcheon and the knobs to get the knobs to even reach the splines on the stem. This really sucked because I bought a kit that included new stems with seals and knobs, mainly because replacement knobs and escutcheons would have cost about the same as the whole kit. If I'd know I was going to have to re-use the old knobs or modify the new ones, I would have just gone with the $8 replacement rubber washers, seats, and packing would have cost. My stems were fine.
Ended up just cleaning up the old knobs and reusing them. At least the valves didn't give me any trouble, other than one of the screws to remove the knobs requiring a new slot to be cut to remove it.

I also replaced the toilet supply valve because it stated leaking after I shut it off to replace the toilet. I probably could have rebuilt it, but it was pitted and UGLY. Probably original to this 1964 house. Wish I'd have thought to do it while the toilet was out...

I also discovered a ham-handed concrete patch under the carpet in front of the toilet when I pulled out the carpet (I know, right - carpet in a bathroom!) that got we from the leak. Putting tile in is going to be a little harder now. Not so bad a little leveling compound won't fix it, though.

Damned POs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I've never had Discount refuse to plug a tire that wasn't either punctured on the shoulder or worn to hell. The latter one, I plugged myself and it worked alright (the tire was drat worn after all).

I've talked Discount into plugging one that was right at the wear bars before (2/32, one spot was 1/32). They didn't want to at first, but I told them I couldn't afford to replace the tire for a few weeks - and planned to come back to that store for 2 new ones when I got paid. Also did a slight sob story about needing it for work, since I did delivery.

They patched it, but told me to replace it ASAP. I was back up there a few weeks later getting both fronts replaced (this week actually). Good customer service goes a long way; they've always been good to me at that store, and even when they're slammed I've never been stuck there over an hour, so I generally go to that location. Only downside to that location is there's nothing interesting within a mile except a 7-11 and a liquor store, so I'm stuck in the waiting room listening to the "light rock, sometimes Christian rock" station (DFW goons, it's the one at Custer and 121). If I go to most other locations, I can at least walk somewhere and do some browsing.

Goober Peas posted:

I reconnected with an old friend about 6 weeks ago. He saw my contact info on Facebook and gave me a buzz, I found out he was in the hospital about 3 hours away.

Went to visit, found out he is in late stages of AIDS. He wasn't getting the care he needed, family had cut him off because GAY, was living alone in the middle of nowhere.

Was heartbroken and made some calls when I got back home. Rounded up good medical care options, good community groups that could help and that he could give back to. Told him if he was willing, I could put him up for a couple of weeks if he wanted to investigate the resources and consider a move.

This literally brought tears to my eyes. :glomp: You're a good dude.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hey STR, what OBDII reader/bluetooth dongle are you using and with what android app? One of my friends is really interested in getting one.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I spent the extra cash and got the PLX Kiwi Bluetooth (it's usually about $80-100). I've used it with both Torque for Android ($5), and with Dash (free). It's overkill I guess, but I've had it almost 3 years now, and the only problem I've had is the top cover broke off. I just have it wrapped in electrical tape to protect the guts and keep the cable in the relief slot.

There's a shitload of cheap :10bux: OBD2 Bluetooth adapters out there, I just got sick of them breaking all the time. And a lot of the cheap ones have issues with late 90s-early 00s Fords. If you get a cheap one, get it from Amazon, and make sure it's from a seller that's listed as "fulfilled by Amazon" - that way if it breaks, you're dealing with Amazon's customer service, and it's also shipped from within the US that way. Most of the time, you'll get a decent one, but I had 3 of them die in as many months before I decided to spend the extra money. When I got it, the PLX Kiwi was what the author of Torque recommended as the best one - he now recommends this, which is a bit cheaper, and seems to have an auto sleep function.

Torque is fantastic for diagnostics, and can also clear codes (but doing so resets the readiness monitors). Dash is neat in that it gives you real time statistics in a much more user-friendly format, right out of the box. Torque can do the same, but it takes some work to set it up the way you want it, and frankly doesn't look as nice. Dash's "range till empty" seems a lot more accurate than Torque's.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 7, 2014

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

Today was moving day. He's been seeing a local clinic specializing in AIDS care, and they've been able to resuscitate his kidneys (creatine has dropped from 4.6 - near failure - to 2.9 and he's been able to pee without a catheter intermittently for the first time in 3 years). They swapped up his HIV meds and it seems to be helping. Also addressed some other miscellaneous blood issues impacting his health.

He has an apartment and some great people helped him move in today. I'm looking forward to helping him unpack over the next few weeks.

He's also reconnected with his family, and while there is a lot of work left there, progress is tangible.

As if all of that weren't awesome enough: he is the king of awesome stuff. He gave me tons of old school MTV swag along with other cool TV and movie memorabilia. He also gave me his video collection which he promises is full of cool random stuff. About 500 Beta and VHS from the 70s - early 90s.

So far, the one tape I dropped into my conversion rig was an audition tape for voice actors for the Snuggle Bear commercials. It was both awesome and frightening at the same time. I'll have to throw that one up on YouTube soon.

I also may buy some of his other cool swag, including a new in box Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Genesis, and a gazillion games.

Did I also mention he has a freaking Lambchop puppet? Like one of the real Shari Lewis ones? And a real Elmo puppet? And remember the Pets.com puppet? Yep, one of those too.

Moving was amazing - just peeking in every box to figure out what room things should go in brought a new surprise.

We worked together many moons ago in TV - me as an intern, he as a writer. I knew he had exposure to some cool things because he gave me some cool experiences. But I had no idea he had been hoarding random bits and pieces all those years.

Anyway, today (and the past weeks of helping) have been a bright spot in an otherwise crappy year.

He still has challenges ahead, but at least now he has a fighting chance to start living again.

We need more feel good moments like this.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Went on a lunch date with a girl today and it went pretty well. She had to run before too long because of work (she's a gymnastics instructor) but she said I was way cuter in person and wanted to go out again tomorrow (today? Sunday.). We're going ice skating tomorrow and I'm really excited.

She's really cute and I was hoping she'd want to go out again :3: I really hope I don't do something dumb like catch the toe pick and faceplant. That would be decidedly un-smooth.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bandman posted:

Went on a lunch date with a girl today and it went pretty well. She had to run before too long because of work (she's a gymnastics instructor) but she said I was way cuter in person and wanted to go out again tomorrow (today? Sunday.). We're going ice skating tomorrow and I'm really excited.

She's really cute and I was hoping she'd want to go out again :3: I really hope I don't do something dumb like catch the toe pick and faceplant. That would be decidedly un-smooth.

Wear a gropro.

Uhh I mean good luck.

Or just wear hockey skates like a man.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

bandman posted:

Only if you don't have a reversal of fortune by playing your cards right to get a sympathy gently caress. If you do bail and she bails, don't sweat it because she was psycho anyway. In anybcase, have fun and if you do screw up, well.. Whatevs, no biggie. I mean.. As long ad you don't do it while being a tremendous doice in the process then it's on you.

Edit: note to self, late night cell phone posts never autocorrect right and I give terrible advice.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Goober Peas posted:

You are a Good Person. May you reap much good karma for being this kind of awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just got the message that grandma died 20 minutes ago :(

My aunt (who works at another retirement home) was with her and noticed that she was getting critical, so they managed to get most of the family there to hold her hand and say the proper goodbyes and that it was OK to stop fighting and let go.

I'm grabbing a few things and heading over there right now. It's a 1.5 hour drive, but I feel like I really need to be there for them, especially my dad. He's a bit wooden usually when it comes to showing emotions, but losing one's remaning parent is a tough blow for anyone.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've been using a cramped 2.5x4.5 ft folding table as a desk for the past 6+ months. If I so much as sneezed, the desk was suddenly "oh poo poo" messy. And partly why I went through keyboards every few months - there was barely enough room on the desk for a glass of any kind of drink. PC, 2 monitors, 2 bookshelf speakers (which the monitors were sitting on), keyboard, mouse, random poo poo..

Found a 4x6 ft folding table in the garage. It's across the room - one end is at the foot of the bed, the other is partly blocking the closet doors (which I've been planning to remove for awhile anyway - I can still open the doors enough to get in there). I can actually fit the PC, both monitors side by side, and one of my printers on the desk - with tons of room to spare. Downside is now the TV and stereo are on the other side of the room (though I have a 25 ft HDMI cable, so I can still stream from the PC to the TV).

I'm giving serious thought to mounting the TV above the closet, which would leave it viewable from both the desk and bed, and since all of the speaker wiring is exposed (plus the receiver has 2 sets of outputs for front speakers), it'd be a trivial matter to move the receiver and rearrange the speakers. Still have to leave the router and TV tuners on the other end of the room, but I have enough long cat5e cables to tie up every unwanted child in China. I may wind up having to get some dedicated PC speakers for whenever I game though; the receiver shuts off the subwoofer whenever "speakers B" are turned on.

There's a perfect space above the closet to mount the TV (older 720P 32" LCD) that leaves it viewable from both the desk and bed

(that speaker in the shot is currently a rear surround speaker, fan is just there for a moment, etc)

Although I do have a Chromecast, and Android 5 lets you cast everything. Plus I have Plex on the PC, so...

tl;dr room is way more open, and will be even more open once I figure out the other half.

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm grabbing a few things and heading over there right now. It's a 1.5 hour drive, but I feel like I really need to be there for them, especially my dad. He's a bit wooden usually when it comes to showing emotions, but losing one's remaning parent is a tough blow for anyone.

As much as they drive me nutty (particularly my mother), losing my parents is my worst nightmare. And I know it's going to happen someday. I'm a bit like your dad - I try not to show emotion (except for happiness or neutral), but when I fall apart... I really fall apart.

I lost my grandmother about a year and a half ago. I think I took it harder than my mother did (she was her last remaining parent). At least my grandmother was unconscious when she passed (she'd had a heart attack the day before and was in a medically induced coma).

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KozmoNaut posted:

Condolences KN.
Sorry you couldn't be there and for what you're going through.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Just some of the whatnot I got yesterday.
I'm totally not a saint, just had the knowledge and resources to help. It was a no-brainer, and believe me, it has helped me grow as a person in ways I can't articulate.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I got hosed up last night. Apparently I bought a fleshlight on eBay.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

gently caress December :quagmire:?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

bandman posted:

(she's a gymnastics instructor)

You are doing this right.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Goober Peas posted:

This is great, you are great for helping your friend so much :3:

KozmoNaut posted:

My aunt (who works at another retirement home) was with her and noticed that she was getting critical, so they managed to get most of the family there to hold her hand and say the proper goodbyes and that it was OK to stop fighting and let go.

Sorry about your grandma and yes its the worst to lose a parent so youre doing good by being there for your dad.

e: spellin'

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 7, 2014

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Man drunk purchases can be interesting.

I bought a kite once.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Goober Peas posted:

Just some of the whatnot I got yesterday.
I'm totally not a saint, just had the knowledge and resources to help. It was a no-brainer, and believe me, it has helped me grow as a person in ways I can't articulate.

A lot of people ignore situations like this. No-brainer or not you went out of your way to help someone and made a massive difference in their life, and you deserve a hell of a pat on the back for it.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

Wear a gropro.

Uhh I mean good luck.

Or just wear hockey skates like a man.

I went to a rink a while ago that didn't have hockey skates past size 12, so I had to get the figure skates. It didn't end well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm sorry, dude. It's good that you're going to be there for your family.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Post your ride thread? :gonk:

This morning:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Hey Extra, if you have the money for one you should look at the FR-S/BRZ instead of a ZX2. It's 500 pounds lighter and has close to twice the horsepower of the zx2, and it looks better (most important part obviously).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My grandpa died a year ago.

Went to the doctor (after lots of persuation from my dad) because his left leg hurt so much he hadn't slept in days. This was on december 14th or so. Bone metastasis in the femur. X-ray showed a tumor the size of two fists in his left lung (that also must have hurt like hell). Median life expectancy with metastasis from lung cancer is 4 months, they said. I've never seen my uncle cry, before or after that day.

On the way home from the x-ray he fell and broke the leg with the metastasis in it. They operated and put some plates and screws in, and of course he was put in the orthopedic ward instead of hospice. He was in the hospital on christmas, he was in hospital on new years. And my grandma refused to visit. Or rather, she came up with excuses for why she couldn't. Me, dad and uncles did everything short of forcing her to go, and maybe we should have. A couple of days after new years, grandpa started saying he wanted to go home. Grandma basically said "what good will that do, he should be in the hospital". On the night between january 6-7, grandpa died.

I haven't asked, but I just can't get my head around not doing everything to make life as easy as possible *and* refusing to see your partner of 50 years in what any person could see was his last days. I don't know if she couldn't face him knowing he was going to die or something, but in my mind refusing a dying man his wish to come home is just incredibly low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hahaha some kid is breakdancing down a crosswalk at one of the busiest intersections in my city.

• Locked thread