Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Organs
Feb 13, 2014

aren't the center of galaxies just black holes?? like is this some sick fuckin prank to get gamers to spend a long time trying to get to the center of this procedurally generated galaxy just to get loving swallowed up by the black abyss?? jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If that's what It is then it's goty

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Organs posted:

aren't the center of galaxies just black holes?? like is this some sick fuckin prank to get gamers to spend a long time trying to get to the center of this procedurally generated galaxy just to get loving swallowed up by the black abyss?? jesus christ

If it was a true to life simulation maybe, but videogames are escapism, and usually fictitious. The center of the galaxy could be a giant loving tootsie roll if that is what they want it to be.

Most likely it will just contain a trophy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The center of the galaxy was inside your heart all along.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
At least the steam ff7 allowed you to cheat your stats, this probably won't even do that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

uncharted looked really really pretty in the hd video on playstation's youtube account. the order looked like it played decently given my low expectations.

no man's sky remains cryptic as hell. i just wish they'd showcase a random event/mission/objective/collectable anything.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The best thing about the limited edition PS4 is listening to people bitch about how their lives are ruined because they didn't get one. Thanks for the fun memories Sony!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Kirios posted:

The best thing about the limited edition PS4 is listening to people bitch about how their lives are ruined because they didn't get one. Thanks for the fun memories Sony!
The anniversary theme with the original PlayStation startup sound is good enough for me.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
That ps4 is cool and if I didn't already have one and I wanted to buy one today I probably would have tried but neither of those things are true so

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For what it's worth I very much could see No Man's Sky *not* coming out in 2015.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

blackguy32 posted:

At least the steam ff7 allowed you to cheat your stats, this probably won't even do that.

I don't think I have the ability get my characters to level 99 without having a mini panic attack about the amount of time I've wasted in my life doing such things as a child.

Gasp... or was it level 999? Ugh, I'm getting sick just thinking about leveling up my materia.

But on the plus side, wandering around in No Man's Sky looks pretty fun and relaxing. I hope you just explore space and look at cool poo poo and nobody comes by and blows up your poo poo and fucks with you just to gently caress with you.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

AxeManiac posted:

I don't think I have the ability get my characters to level 99 without having a mini panic attack about the amount of time I've wasted in my life doing such things as a child.

Gasp... or was it level 999? Ugh, I'm getting sick just thinking about leveling up my materia.

But on the plus side, wandering around in No Man's Sky looks pretty fun and relaxing. I hope you just explore space and look at cool poo poo and nobody comes by and blows up your poo poo and fucks with you just to gently caress with you.

This is why the shotgun and ammo count and fps hud concerns me. Really need to know more about No Man's Sky.

Telling you. I got that Spore vibe.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bombadilillo posted:

This is why the shotgun and ammo count and fps hud concerns me. Really need to know more about No Man's Sky.

Telling you. I got that Spore vibe.

It's possible that any non-idiotic universe explorer wouldn't land on foreign planets and walk amongst the flora and fauna and not have some kind of "DON'T loving EAT ME, AGGGH!" deterrent.

I doubt you'll be massacring other players and capturing flags or laying waste to armies... but it seems likely that if you got within 10 feet of an 8-armed zebra striped jellyfish horse with 4 inch long razor teeth, you might need to get combative...

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Good news Canadians, you still have a chance at getting the 20th Anniversary PS4s next week.

Bad news: It sounds it will be first-come first-serve as well.

What if they mark it up to CA$600 due to exchange rate? :allears: My guess would be CA$550.

from PlayStation Canada

quote:

CAN pre-orders for PS4 20th Anniversary Edition available next week on http://store.sony.ca/ Stay tuned for details

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Feenix posted:

See, I don't mean to disrespect anyone, but almost all of the complaints I hear like this just mostly sound to me like "I don't really enjoy discovery and exploring without a lot of meta-narrative/direction.".

They've already said the main point will be to ultimately make it to the center of the universe. I'm sure there will be more "game". But I'm also sure they are still trying to iron out their nearly infinite universe mechanics first...

The other half of the complaint though was that I think the way they are designing things is lazy. It's a bunch of procedurally generated poo poo slapped together. I'd much rather explore hand sculpted areas.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

War of the Monsters 2 when Sony?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just watched the whole Gamersyde footage of the Uncharted demo.

Holy poo poo is this gorgeous, but is anyone else a little disappointed it's the same old gameplay with a new coat of paint? I guess there are some innovations, such as the grapple hook and the climbing pick thing (that's totally lifted from Tomb Raider 2013, including wall textures).

Don't get me wrong, I'll play the hell out of this when it comes out and likely enjoy the hell out of it too, I guess I'm still waiting to see what gameplay innovations are (hopefully) coming in the new gen.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Totally agree and I'm a big fan of uncharted. The generous amount of cover everywhere somehow stands out to me more than before.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It wasn't a huge departure but the enemies definitely weren't bullet sponges, the aiming looked more responsive than in previous games, and I thought the level design was just fantastic.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Megasabin posted:

The other half of the complaint though was that I think the way they are designing things is lazy. It's a bunch of procedurally generated poo poo slapped together. I'd much rather explore hand sculpted areas.

At that point though, what it sounds like you're interested in is a very different game from what No Man's Sky is looking like. I think for the game's target audience, the procedural generation is a big part of the appeal

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

echronorian posted:

Totally agree and I'm a big fan of uncharted. The generous amount of cover everywhere somehow stands out to me more than before.

I honestly laughed when Drake ducked behind that thin patch of rock that made no geologic sense.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I thought the climbing pick was more closer to Enzio's hook thing from ACrevelations, though I suppose that was a higher jump, not really stab into rock mechanic.

I'm super loving excited for Uncharted4, it looks great, and has some of the improvements that TLoU implemented, like the * around the cross-hair for headshots. The grapple hook reminded me a lot more of Indiana Jones with his infamous whip, which I guess adds to the charm and pulpy nature it already is going for.

Does anyone have a gif of the live broadcast with the guy falling through the level? I missed the stream, but it sounded funny as poo poo when I read the posts in this thread, while at work.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

goferchan posted:

At that point though, what it sounds like you're interested in is a very different game from what No Man's Sky is looking like. I think for the game's target audience, the procedural generation is a big part of the appeal

Yeah, this gets back to what I was saying before about (respectfully) saying "this game maybe isn't for you."

The idea that this world wasn't hand created (because that puts limits on a size and scope of a universe.)(A team of thousands could only create so much, even...) is what is most appealing to me.

It has more of a realistic feel to me, to be procedurally drawn. It also allows for a lot more variance.

Hand Crafted world: Smaller in scope and size, created by "god" if you will...

Procedural Universe: Larger, more crazy poo poo to explore, created by evolution and science.

The idea that I may end up not only on a world that the developer has never even seen, but that I may end up face to face with a beast the developer never even 'created' is about as close to exploring the universe as I may ever get. It just sounds appealing to me.

Also this game was loving MADE for PS4 Video sharing capability.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I like cool procedural generation but nothing they've shown has seemed like a particularly interesting use of it. The first trailer was literally just a bunch of real animals and plants from earth like sharks, brachiosauruses, stegosauruses, and rhinos with minor variations. Either they've developed an evolution simulation so profoundly advanced that this game is a tragic waste of brainpower or, other than the very simple noise-based terrain generation, it was all a bunch of really obviously handcrafted poo poo with a few random variables.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Meowbot posted:

You know guys there are a lot of good people out there who don't deserve your ire for liking things. I don't make fun of pony lovers for liking ponies, or go into a skylander collector's house and kick around his collection and say "nice toys human being" but this is how it makes me feel when I just was trying so hard to get my hands on one of these pieces of history and you guys piled all over me. FOr the record I Do not have a plsytation 4 and due to factors outside of my control I've been unable to afford one. However, ever since hearing of this announcement I Have worked many hours of overtime (seems like countless) in the past few days to make sure I would be able to secure the funds to purchase this treasure provided to us by Sony. IT isn't about the number, or the color, it is about the experience and after being part of the playstation experience this morning I felt a connection to Sony and felt it necessary to bestow them with hard earned money in exchange for such a limited piece of history. This item may live on to be the golden cartridge that everyone desires from Nintendo days, for all we know. After my failure to get the console I took a nap only to wake up to mean posts and rude things thrown my way simply because I had a passion for a "thing".

FIrst, a little back story, back when the playstation came out it was my only friend and using video games like jumping jack flash, toshinden, and my mom sold my super nintendo and my SKIS without telling me so it basically limited my entire social life since no one had a playstation. My friends thought I was gay because they had a sega CD or Atari and that was so much better back where I lived. I bit my lip and knew that one day (where you at 20 years later atari?sega?) playstation WOULD be successful. Sure it didn't have the best titles (it seems like there is a history of no games even 20 years later!!) but eventually we got ultimate mortal kombat 3 and that was thebest game on the playstation and all I played. Eventually my mom sold that too and not tell me because you could beat up girl characters (we already had this conversation with the super nintendo morrtal kombat, but she still insisted it was evil) so I threw a huge tantrum and she bought me some more skis. Now I Could go skiing and I didn't play as much playstation back after that so it has been 20 years since I've played a playstation. I just wanted to relive that memory and kind of be like "well gently caress you mom, look what I have afforrded with my life, I have worked hard for this". It wasn't about the number or anything I Don't even want a normal playstation 4 but at this point I feel defeated and itseems that until the sun sets on this day it will be nothing but shame. Perhaps someone out there feels the same and undersands why this was so personal today. We all have our own moments with our own "limited edition playstation 4", this was mine.

I'm sad I missed the No Man's Sky stream but even sadder I missed this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I like cool procedural generation but nothing they've shown has seemed like a particularly interesting use of it. The first trailer was literally just a bunch of real animals and plants from earth like sharks, brachiosauruses, stegosauruses, and rhinos with minor variations. Either they've developed an evolution simulation so profoundly advanced that this game is a tragic waste of brainpower or, other than the very simple noise-based terrain generation, it was all a bunch of really obviously handcrafted poo poo with a few random variables.
The question I have is, how long will it take to see all the handmade art assets? Once I have, I think I will lose interest, unless they are combined in far more interesting ways than usual for procedurally generated environments.

I mean, either that, or this game doesn't actually have handmade art assets and then it's the most amazing thing yet produced by humanity, but that seems very unlikely to me.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I'm sad I missed the No Man's Sky stream but even sadder I missed this.

My hope is Sony comes out with a special edition limited run PS4 every year so we can get these sob stories every year.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Some of the melee and stealth in uncharted 4 looks to be taken from the last of us - a wise and easy choice.

Uncharted 2 was the game that convinced me to switch to a ps3 (well that, and the lack of region locking), but the third entry felt tired and much more sluggish.

I'm just hoping Uncharted 4 finds a way to bring back the humanity to the series. Uncharted 2 for all of its insane set pieces, always gave you a narrative reason to be doing something.

As opposed to uncharted 3, which literally grinds the loving narrative to a halt and goes "LOOK AT THE BOAT WE MADE!"

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

The question I have is, how long will it take to see all the handmade art assets? Once I have, I think I will lose interest, unless they are combined in far more interesting ways than usual for procedurally generated environments.

I mean, either that, or this game doesn't actually have handmade art assets and then it's the most amazing thing yet produced by humanity, but that seems very unlikely to me.

There was interview where he said someone was asking him what the name of some flying creature was in the trailer and he said "it doesn't have a name. it's unique to that planet" or something along those lines so I assume there is some sort of evolution system in place.
I just like exploring. I love adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress and I like going through caves in Minecraft and poking around. Dwarf Fortress is the extreme of unique things you can witness and Minecraft being the same old same old but I still never tire of it so I really think this is the game for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

There was interview where he said someone was asking him what the name of some flying creature was in the trailer and he said "it doesn't have a name. it's unique to that planet" or something along those lines so I assume there is some sort of evolution system in place.
I just like exploring. I love adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress and I like going through caves in Minecraft and poking around. Dwarf Fortress is the extreme of unique things you can witness and Minecraft being the same old same old but I still never tire of it so I really think this is the game for me.
I dunno about Dwarf Fortress but in Minecraft you can collect and manipulate things, not to mention fight. If you could do that stuff in this game, wouldn't they have shown that by now? The latest trailer is also just passively observing the world.

Maybe they're just presenting it wrong, or maybe I am looking at the wrong trailers for it, I dunno. Either way, I have not really enjoyed exploring a procedurally created environment yet, since pretty soon it all starts looking the same.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Dec 7, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

No Man's Sky is getting really weirdly marketed trailer-wise, I've read a bunch of previews that talk about space dogfighting and hunting dinosaurs and whatever but every trailer is "hey look at this cool planet lets get in spaceship zoooooom now we're on another planet cool huh".

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno about Dwarf Fortress but in Minecraft you can collect and manipulate things, not to mention fight. If you could do that stuff in this game, wouldn't they have shown that by now? The latest trailer is also just passively observing the world.

Maybe they're just presenting it wrong, or maybe I am looking at the wrong trailers for it, I dunno.

They've said there is some sort of crafting system and resource management along with stuff you can buy and sell from vendors (I guess) but they have also said explicitly that there will be no missions or objectives. My point was that even though there are things you can do in Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft like fighting and killing, I personally just like exploring and discovering new things. I'm a weirdo.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

There was a video s couple days so. 30 minutes of the dev talking/demoing. Let's take ships for example: it sounds like they create a base module, and then the algorithms make minor and major variations. What was shown is a sheet of a ton of different-looking and different-flying ships.
Same thing with the creatures...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

No Man's Sky is getting really weirdly marketed trailer-wise, I've read a bunch of previews that talk about space dogfighting and hunting dinosaurs and whatever but every trailer is "hey look at this cool planet lets get in spaceship zoooooom now we're on another planet cool huh".
Talk is cheap, so I am not inclined to believe any of that stuff is happening until I see it in a trailer. Just going off the trailers (and again maybe I missed one), I would enjoy the game for about half an hour.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

reverse star citizen

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 7, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70170

Video from 21 min to
About 26 min talks variety in ship and animal and flora, etc...

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
edit: well, nevermind, then!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I actually know more than you think. There is a hidden message at the beginning of the first trailer. Some text pops up on the screen that says "Every Atom Procedural" and while I can't reveal the key because it would blow my cover, I can tell you that the message decrypts to "We're full of poo poo"

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Hey guys maybe they're just making a cool space game that lets you explore randomly generated planets and stuff and fly around and go pew pew and there is a response to a trailer that is somewhere between overblown hype and massive cynicism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This genre has a long history of ridiculous promises. I still remember Battlecruiser 3000AD.

• Locked thread