Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

They definitely seem to have got worse after the Charlemagne expansion though, everyone has a droopy eyelid now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

BBJoey posted:

Has it always been like this and I just haven't noticed? Or have Paradox started playing around with Mediterranean heads?

I've been playing a game 1066 Leon, and I've totally noticed this too. Whats weirder is that it seems to be purely confined to "Young" portraits. Whenever the characters grow up enough to reach middle aged portraits, the graphical bug completely disappears.

Speaking of my Leon game, I think I have a little bit of a suggestion for paradox: Please add an option to the "Son demands Land" which only activates when you are fighting a war of conquest, that allows you to tell your son that you'll give him the land you gain from the war. My little brat asked me for land while I was waging a holy war, so I wagered that I could complete the holy war before the arbitrary deadline ran out. It later turned out that the dude I was warring really didn't think that 95% war score and the complete and repeated annihilation of his armies were enough to give up quite yet, and the deadline ran out while I was still sieging. The child, who I presume was already pissed off by the law change to Seniority succession (Part of my attempt to try and unify the Jimenez lands), decided to actually go and become an adventurer so that he could invade me for some land. It was super annoying that I couldn't just tell him that I would give him the land I was conquering to satisfy him, and It would really be great if you expanded the event so that I could do just that.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
What Game of Thrones mod are you guys talking about? Looking in the workshop I can see a couple of bloodline mods, but no Westeros map.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

What Game of Thrones mod are you guys talking about? Looking in the workshop I can see a couple of bloodline mods, but no Westeros map.

For some really dumb reason, the Game of Thrones mod team hasn't put it up on the Workshop.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/crusader-kings-2-a-game-of-thrones-ck2agot

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing After the End. While it's good, it's sorely lacking in flavour. Being the President doesn't seem to grant any advantages, and there's no Holy Orders. And speaking of which, the Knights of St. John popped up, and the Event text is completely unchanged. Otherwise it's great.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'm playing After the End. While it's good, it's sorely lacking in flavour. Being the President doesn't seem to grant any advantages, and there's no Holy Orders. And speaking of which, the Knights of St. John popped up, and the Event text is completely unchanged. Otherwise it's great.

Remember it's only 2.0, and 3.0 with a bunch of new stuff is coming out sometime this week possibly.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

How are mods on Workshop supposed to work? I subscribed to one but it doesn't show up in the mods tab of the launcher.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Restart Steam.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I decided to try Ireland in the new earlier start time and was wondering why would you ever change to feudal or merchant republic before conquering Britannia? You get so many more troops as a tribal dude and can assassinate unwanted children to prevent gavelkind crap. When you change to either of the other types of government it severely reduces your levies and doesn't seem to increase income much at all. On top of all that when you do change all of your other holdings are still lovely tribal things but, now they have penalties associated with them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Azuth0667 posted:

I decided to try Ireland in the new earlier start time and was wondering why would you ever change to feudal or merchant republic before conquering Britannia? You get so many more troops as a tribal dude and can assassinate unwanted children to prevent gavelkind crap. When you change to either of the other types of government it severely reduces your levies and doesn't seem to increase income much at all. On top of all that when you do change all of your other holdings are still lovely tribal things but, now they have penalties associated with them.

Within a generation or two of changing to feudal or merchant, the benefits outweigh tribal by a ton. You can be making upwards of 20 ducats a month really quickly as a republic. The problem you would run into as a tribal conquering Britannia is that you would have a penalty for your feudal holdings in England, and then when you do switch, you're going to have to upgrade all of Ireland and Scotland. Not to mention you have to do it eventually, and you're going to get those levy and wrong holding penalties, and if you're trying to keep an empire together at the same time, you're going to have some issues with revolts. When I reformed svipjod to a merchant republic, I almost lost two different wars to a single county trying to claim my land. You won't stand a chance against a vassal kingdom.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 7, 2014

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Drone posted:

For some really dumb reason, the Game of Thrones mod team hasn't put it up on the Workshop.

There is a size limit on steam workshop mods.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Azuth0667 posted:

You get so many more troops as a tribal dude and can assassinate unwanted children to prevent gavelkind crap.

...what? how? you can't plot against your children and the assassination diplomacy was removed back in 2.1

e: of course you can always imprison/execute if you can take the massive tyranny/kinslayer

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Excelzior posted:

...what? how? you can't plot against your children and the assassination diplomacy was removed back in 2.1

e: of course you can always imprison/execute if you can take the massive tyranny/kinslayer

Your edit was my method of doing it.

So did I make a huge mistake by adopting feudalism without having enough money to upgrade the rest of my territories to feudal governments?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Depends on the size of your demense. If it is big, there is a higher chance that you will have vassals who really don't like you, who the -30 malus will not help with. Smaller ones are less of an issue.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And speaking of which, the Knights of St. John popped up, and the Event text is completely unchanged. Otherwise it's great.

Clearly the answer is to make them the Knights of St. Johns.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Martello posted:

Restart Steam.

I should point out I subbed to it 3 days ago. Steam's restarted a bunch of times in those days.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Drone posted:

The really dumb reason has to do with filesize limitations on the workshop, which is also why we haven't gotten the postapoc mod up there yet.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Another GoT mod question: Anybody know whether you can edit the costs of traits in the ruler customiser for GoT? I.e. turn them all to 0 years via an .ini? There's a cheat mod that does this but not for the GoT mod. I ruddy luv breeding my insane godlike ruler and seeing his perfect genes dilute throughout the generations, occasionally throwing up a mega-alexander every couple generations.

I just wanna gently caress around with custom wildling Targs riding dragons.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 8, 2014

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

The really dumb reason has to do with filesize limitations on the workshop, which is also why we haven't gotten the postapoc mod up there yet.

Yeah, I'm sure theres a good reason for Valve to do this, but it essentially means no worthwhile mod for any game is on the Workshop.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

nopantsjack posted:

Another GoT mod question: Anybody know whether you can edit the costs of traits in the ruler customiser for GoT? I.e. turn them all to 0 years via an .ini? There's a cheat mod that does this but not for the GoT mod. I ruddy luv breeding my insane godlike ruler and seeing his perfect genes dilute throughout the generations, occasionally throwing up a mega-alexander every couple generations.

I just wanna gently caress around with custom wildling Targs riding dragons.

Lower the trait costs in defines.lua and then batch search and replace ruler_designer_cost with # in the traits folder with notepad++ or whatever.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Kainser posted:

Lower the trait costs in defines.lua and then batch search and replace ruler_designer_cost with # in the traits folder with notepad++ or whatever.

Thanks! Always wanted to start rummaging around in CK2's guts. Lets hope it still runs after I've stumbled around in it.

As another question, a couple pages back theres a screenshot of someone with England and Scotland as the kingdom of Mann. How do you form the Kingdom of Mann rather than the Kingdom of England or whatnot? Is it just making the title primary or can you rename Kingdoms now?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
You can rename anything. I played til 1453 with the Empire of Sicilia. And played AoE til the end with the Empire of Great Jersey.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He could have also had the duchy of mann as a title and made the titular kingdom of mann, then had kingdom of mann as his title and made the titular empire of mann.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Drone posted:

Thanks. I've installed it, but I can't play it properly: when I try to start a new game and select a character, the 'play' button is greyed out.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
After the End 0.3

Mexico, a Brazilian invasion, compatibility with Charlemagne, and much more.

e: last-minute fixes

Sam. fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 8, 2014

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

nopantsjack posted:

Yeah, I'm sure theres a good reason for Valve to do this, but it essentially means no worthwhile mod for any game is on the Workshop.

Dunno if it's feasible for CK2 mods, but Total War got around this years ago by just splitting their mod into multiple parts.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Kalos posted:

Dunno if it's feasible for CK2 mods, but Total War got around this years ago by just splitting their mod into multiple parts.

Do you reckon they could still put a Third-Age style total overhaul on there? I guess they could upload it as a collection.

Also I just noticed Rome Total Realism 2 is on there, well thats my night.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I am pretty sure you could split the files up, but it would be really onerous to do so and update them.

The biggest single file in a mod will usually provinces.bmp because it's going to be a bitmap bigger than 2048 x 2048, with non-indexed colour, so it can often come out to around 30mb, but it does compress down really effectively(can acheive around 1% of its original size), but I have no idea how or if the Workshop does compression.

You'd need to split the character graphics into quite a few different downloads.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Its a bit of tense game with The Abbisids always waiting in the wings to gobble up your Arabian holdings and the Tulnuids always able to carve into the Christians before you can. But kicking the Abbisids is a sublime joy you will come to understand.

I'm not kicking the Arabian Empire (not Abbasid anymore, thanks decadence revolt that did only slightly north of poo poo-all to Arabian stability!) in my Zunist game yet, but the tide is starting to turn as far as resource gathering and my emergency backup steppe escape pod is fully operational :haw: .

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Sam. posted:

After the End 0.3

e: last-minute fixes

AHHHHHH it's here but I have to work tomorrow. :(

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Sam. posted:

After the End 0.3

Aw yee

e. trying to start a new game causes a CTD :/

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 8, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Thanks. I've installed it, but I can't play it properly: when I try to start a new game and select a character, the 'play' button is greyed out.

Are you trying to play in the Iron Islands without having The Old Gods DLC? Or any of the republics in Essos without having The Republic?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Nobody Interesting posted:

I should point out I subbed to it 3 days ago. Steam's restarted a bunch of times in those days.

You need to start the game launcher from Steam for it to appear. If you added mods and the Launcher crashes then don't panic, it will be there.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

e. trying to start a new game causes a CTD :/
Are you running 2.2.1 or the beta? It's meant for non-beta atm, we're gonna start getting beta compatibility sorted after we get the first wave of reports back in and see if we've blown it all or not.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Supeerme posted:

You need to start the game launcher from Steam for it to appear. If you added mods and the Launcher crashes then don't panic, it will be there.

I've done that. It doesn't show up in the launcher at all, I can't even click the mod tab.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Nobody Interesting posted:

I've done that. It doesn't show up in the launcher at all, I can't even click the mod tab.

Try unsubscribing from the mods verifying your game cache then starting the game to the main menu, then resub start the game to the main menu, then check the tabs. Make sure your not set to offline in steam it sometimes stops automatic downloads.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So I decided not to start out in the Byzantine empire in my HRE rebuild attempt and was going to start slow as a Bulgarian count yada yada. Then my third (grand)son became a demon spawn. Then something went weird regarding his greek mother who inherited something and he went to the byzantines for a little while at like 15.8 years of age. I immediatedly died, took him over and got the popup about regenerating (someone castrated and/or blinded him).

And currently, despite being a gay, violent, possessed glutton who speaks in babbling tongues and is busy listening to jesus for war advice (and a satanic fish for spy advice??) while having an affair with my monk brother, my wife won't stop getting pregnant with daughters and I knocked up 2/3rds of my witch counselors. I know the MTTH is 500 years but i desperately want to be cucked by satan. I think my personal martial skill is like 50 and state martial 70 with a staggering 3 in diplomacy.

I weep bloody tears for all the little tengri counties and duchies nearby, I'm not going to stop conquering until my dude is rendered to shreds or dies of a heart attack in a foursome with his siblings and witch-mistresses.

Sidenote, I know the event fires only for the player, but can you trigger it for a character and swap to another to let the event play out for the AI, or does it go away? Any idea what the event code is?

Synnr fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 9, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
:stare:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Synnr posted:

And currently, despite being a gay, violent, possessed glutton who speaks in babbling tongues and is busy listening to jesus for war advice (and a satanic fish for spy advice??) while having an affair with my monk brother, my wife won't stop getting pregnant with daughters and I knocked up 2/3rds of my witch counselors. I know the MTTH is 500 years but i desperately want to be cucked by satan. I think my personal martial skill is like 50 and state martial 70 with a staggering 3 in diplomacy.
This is beautiful. You are beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Synnr posted:

So I decided not to start out in the Byzantine empire in my HRE rebuild attempt and was going to start slow as a Bulgarian count yada yada. Then my third (grand)son became a demon spawn. Then something went weird regarding his greek mother who inherited something and he went to the byzantines for a little while at like 15.8 years of age. I immediatedly died, took him over and got the popup about regenerating (someone castrated and/or blinded him).

I weep bloody tears for all the little tengri counties and duchies nearby, I'm not going to stop conquering until my dude is rendered to shreds or dies of a heart attack in a foursome with his siblings and witch-mistresses.

Sidenote, I know the event fires only for the player, but can you trigger it for a character and swap to another to let the event play out for the AI, or does it go away? Any idea what the event code is?

Games>Crusader Kings II: I desperately wan't to be cucked by Satan.

• Locked thread