Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Did you see the cyber Monday prices on the k5-2? $500 for the body. That's a hell of a camera for $500 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Elliotw2 posted:

Take your pick of ~$500 new cameras, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Nikon, or Fuji.

Any of these will be way better than an T5, though really your final decision should be based on what you're doing with the camera.

The Canon, Nikon, and Sony will be far better at tracking moving targets than the Fuji or Olympus, though they're going to be bigger (except the SL1 maybe.) The Sony, Fuji, and Olympus aren't as popular mounts, so you'll also have trouble finding new lenses in a store like Best Buy or Walmart, but you should really be buying lenses online where it's not as big an issue.

edit: Also what Execudork said. The T5 is trash because it's a 2008 camera being sold at 2014 prices. The sensor is junk, the autofocus is slower, the viewfinder is tiny and cheap, you don't get any of the articulating or touch LCD stuff other cameras get. There is literally no reason to ever buy a non-i model of a Canon Rebel.

They don't have freaking mirror lockup or spot meters. You get all the glory of the digital age with all the usability of a 70's era consumer SLR.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mightaswell posted:

Did you see the cyber Monday prices on the k5-2? $500 for the body. That's a hell of a camera for $500 bucks.

Absolutely. If this is the kind of thing we can expect every year around Yanqui Thanksgiving (and the retail-hellscape trend seems to be going strong), I'll be seriously considering an upgrade to my K-5 next year. My plan is to eventually pick up a K-3 whenever the next Pentax flagship comes out and the price on the K-3 falls.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

You forgot Hoya or who the gently caress ever.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

timrenzi574 posted:

They don't have freaking mirror lockup or spot meters. You get all the glory of the digital age with all the usability of a 70's era consumer SLR.

Even the D50 I'm shooting with from 2004 or 2005 has the ability to spot meter. It's quite ridiculous the stuff they left off. Its why I'm deciding to put my money where my mouth is when I upgrade next year, and get a D7xx rather than a 3/5 because I can't trust manufacturers to not leave things off that I'm used to (like the AF screw...)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

Even the D50 I'm shooting with from 2004 or 2005 has the ability to spot meter. It's quite ridiculous the stuff they left off. Its why I'm deciding to put my money where my mouth is when I upgrade next year, and get a D7xx rather than a 3/5 because I can't trust manufacturers to not leave things off that I'm used to (like the AF screw...)

Mid level camera models are traps. For what they cost you can get a used prosumer model that is a better camera. D5300 w/ kit is $600. You already have lenses and a used D7k body is ~$550.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly. Plus the 7200 has had some possible leaks in the press so hopefully that's on its way and might push a used 7100 down to that 7000 price right now. Hopefully it'll fix the burst issues and add some video modes to convince people with the older camera to 'upgrade'.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rebel SL1, T5i or D3200?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 6, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

codo27 posted:

Rebel SL1, T5i or D3200?

for what?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I usually use the word "versatility" whenever I buy pretty much anything. It will be the first DSLR for myself and the girlfriend. Leaning towards the T5i right now.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They can both do basically the same things, since they're the two major players. The SL1 will be very tiny though, something to keep in mind if you're looking at the T5i as well. All three cameras should be at a Best Buy or whatever, go see how they feel in your hands.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I sorta felt a bit cramped holding the SL1, and that was at a very short time. My hands are huge. I'm looking at a couple of bundles on amazon, there is $150 difference in one with a pile of goodies and another with the same extras + the 55-250mm lens. Should I spend the extra money to get the second lens?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Often the pile of goodies in my-first-DSLR bundles are a mix of crap, crappy crap, and mildly useful.

The memory card will be useful, though bigger and faster cards will be available for the same money. Don't let them snow you on a battery charger or a cable to transfer images to a computer - the camera body comes with that stuff (unless it's stolen).
Everything else - tripod, filters, bag, blower/brush, etc. - is utter shyte and should be thrown at the nearest commissioned salesperson.

Feeling cramped when fondling a camera is exactly the kind of thing to look for when considering cameras - eliminate the SL1 from your consideration, you won't enjoy using it, which is a big hit against that versatility quality you're looking for.

Versatility is one of the main reasons to buy a DSLR rather than a P&S - lens options, lighting options, low-light sensitivity, autofocus speed & accuracy, all of these things count highly towards being able to use the camera in lots and lots of different situations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Well, you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't expect any of it to be amazing. Here is the more expensive bundle. Locally the T5i is 649 (CAD), and 799 for the bundle with the second lens. For 799 on Amazon I can substitute the second lens for all the extras, which I figure at least might be cool for me to play with and try to get a handle on what they can do. Again, do I need the second lens at all right now? Is it something that should be deemed necessary, for us just starting off? Guy at the camera store said the second lens is $400 by itself.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Literally all of that extra stuff that isn't the camera/lens+other lens is absolute garbage that you'll have to throw away.

I always get nervous about buying expensive things in those bundle listing on Amazon like that, so I'd suggest getting the fuffilled by Amazon t5i with just the kit lens.

If you decide you need the 55-250mm (or any other lens) you can always get it later used.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay, well that looks about the same as what I'll get in store for 649 then. For an extra $210, do you think I'd be better off with this bundle from Best Buy, including the second lens, camera and tripod?

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

codo27 posted:

Well, you get what you pay for, and I wouldn't expect any of it to be amazing. Here is the more expensive bundle. Locally the T5i is 649 (CAD), and 799 for the bundle with the second lens. For 799 on Amazon I can substitute the second lens for all the extras, which I figure at least might be cool for me to play with and try to get a handle on what they can do. Again, do I need the second lens at all right now? Is it something that should be deemed necessary, for us just starting off? Guy at the camera store said the second lens is $400 by itself.

$400 for EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II?

Looked at Pentax K-30 or K-50?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm pretty much set on the T5i, especially seeing I don't think I'd be able to get my hands on the Pentax to try anywhere locally.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

codo27 posted:

I'm pretty much set on the T5i, especially seeing I don't think I'd be able to get my hands on the Pentax to try anywhere locally.

Just fyi 400$ for the 55-250 II would be ridiculous. You can get the newer better STM for less than that. A lot less if you get it refurb from canon

250$ - http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses/ef-s-55-250mm-f4-5-6-is-stm-telephoto-zoom-lens-refurbished

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

erephus posted:

$400 for EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II?

Looked at Pentax K-30 or K-50?

I was about to mention that the K-50 is a pretty much a big step up from what he's looking at and still cheaper. The only thing it doesn't do particularly well is video. Here's the amazon link: http://www.amazon.ca/Pentax-K-50-DA-18-55mm-Kit/dp/B00DBPKAAG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417899351&sr=8-2&keywords=pentax+k-50

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

"Do not buy this camera if you are going to use it for videography! It has a video mode, but the quality is not good"
Video is something I'll be using it for on times

edit: At this point it looks like Best Buy is sold out but FS has them on hand, I think I'm just gonna go for the camera with the kit lens and worry about accessories (and making sure I get quality) later on. SD cards. Should I make sure I get class 10, or what else should I look out for?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 6, 2014

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

codo27 posted:

"Do not buy this camera if you are going to use it for videography! It has a video mode, but the quality is not good"
Video is something I'll be using it for on times

Would video be a dealbreaker or a nifty/good thing to have? The T5i and STM is a pretty (drat) good combo for video, but I would think again depending on how important the video are for you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I would say that I will take videos frequently and it is important they be of good quality, relatively considering its not a stand alone video camera

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Get a camera, one lens (18-55mm -or thereabouts), and nothing else.

Buy a memory card on-line for 1/10th the price of any bricks-and-mortar store.

Yes, get a class 10 card.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
I would rather gop with the extra lens, STM, before extras. Otherwise execdork told you what to do.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Anddd the T5i is now in my possession, along with a 32gb class 10 card. Girlfriend is more excited about it than me, was expecting me to order it online, I ran out and picked it up while she's napping. Battery is charging now, first photo I'm gonna take is her waking up and seeing the camera

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

codo27 posted:

Anddd the T5i is now in my possession, along with a 32gb class 10 card.
Excellent!

codo27 posted:

first photo I'm gonna take is her waking up and seeing the camera
Creepy stalker photos as the first use of the camera, also excellent!

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

This is probably a dumb question, but how does the 0.45x screw-on filter/converter that comes in that bundle work? It seems like you can always just use a narrower portion of the FOV and magnify it, but I don't understand the reverse: I can't see how you'd increase FOV beyond what the lens it's screwed on to sees.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's additional glass that changes the way light enters and exits through the lens. You're basically adding a new front element to the lens. They're also generally really garbage because of this.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
You can do it at the back with a focal reducer/speed booster also. But it requires shortening the registration distance so you can only get them for mirrorless cams

Edit: this is of course assuming you have enough image circle to work with :). When you're going to a smaller format you def do, but some lens designs have a good amount of extra image circle anyway

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 7, 2014

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Fwiw I don't think dslr video is really worth doing for casual users. A smartphone, a good p&s, or like a nikon 1, pretty much anything with a smaller sensor than a dslr. Smaller sensor means more is in focus at once so there's less likely to be missed focus.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Dren posted:

Fwiw I don't think dslr video is really worth doing for casual users. A smartphone, a good p&s, or like a nikon 1, pretty much anything with a smaller sensor than a dslr. Smaller sensor means more is in focus at once so there's less likely to be missed focus.

Recommending a Nikon 1 should get you kicked. Like, literally kicked.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They're actually surprisingly usable. You should still never buy one.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The nikon one does one thing amazingly well: it leaves a sour taste for mirrorless in your mouth so you go and buy nikon's dslrs instead

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

They're actually surprisingly usable. You should still never buy one.

:agreed:

for home movies they are actually quite good :shrug:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
A friend of mine is looking to pick up a camera and has a budget of ~400 or so. I let her borrow my copy of Understanding Exposure and my old S90 since all she had was her camera phone; she liked the size of the S90 but would prefer something that'd be able to interchange lenses. I own a Canon so I would imagine that a T3i or a Nikon equivalent with the standard zoom would be available used for roughly that price, but would some sort of a mirrorless setup be viable here? It'd probably be closer to the form-factor of the S90 but also have the ability to change lenses, I just don't know enough about mirrorless systems to to speak to them well.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Strongly consider a M4/3 camera. The lower end Panasonic and Olympus basically looks and feels like a S90 except you can take the lens off. The NEX-3N/A5000 would also be about the right shape/layout/price for what you're looking at.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 7, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Elliotw2 posted:

Strongly consider a M4/3 camera.
This p much. You can get not-quite-latest bodies for a song.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

The NEX-3N/A5000 would also be about the right shape/layout/price for what you're looking at.

I love that that's being sold as a "mirrorless DSLR."

edit:

Elliotw2 posted:

It's additional glass that changes the way light enters and exits through the lens. You're basically adding a new front element to the lens. They're also generally really garbage because of this.

Thanks for replying, but is there a more technical answer? How is the filter changing the lightpath to increase FOV? I've tried googling around, but since they're garbage/newbie bait everything I can find is just people warning others not to buy them.

junidog fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Look, Sony has learned that new terms don't sell well after SLT never took off, they're covering their bases now. That's also why my camera is the Sony Alpha NEX-5.

junidog posted:

Thanks for replying, but is there a more technical answer? How is the filter changing the lightpath to increase FOV? I've tried googling around, but since they're garbage/newbie bait everything I can find is just people warning others not to buy them.

That basically is the more technical answer. You add additional lenses in front of the ones already inside the original lens, so it changes the optical qualities and way that light goes through the lens. It basically works the same as how if you wear glasses it changes the way that light enters the lens in your eye, changing where and how light focuses.

It's worth noting that there are a few wide angle/macro/clip on teleconverters that aren't complete poo poo, but they're so expensive it's usually worth just buying a dedicated lens and get better quality instead.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 7, 2014

• Locked thread