Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Didn't that series also have the weird time traveling Uncle Ben or something? That was really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yes.

The editorial mandates PAD got were pretty much do a Spider-Man book but don't use any of the main characters which somehow meant use alternate universe evil Uncle Bens.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

SalTheBard posted:

Was that the one where Vermin reverted mentally to a small child and started having flashbacks of being abused or something like that?

Yep, that'd be the one. And then I think I seriously started following the ongoing around the time JMS took over. These days, not so much, but hey, whatever Scarlet Spider is in usually ends up good!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Yes.

The editorial mandates PAD got were pretty much do a Spider-Man book but don't use any of the main characters which somehow meant use alternate universe evil Uncle Bens.

The only main characters JMS ever used was MJ and May. Sasca had his little mystical thing going on with Madame Webb and Black Cat and Thomas Rhineheart or whoever she was dating at the time. But PAD used Betty Brant, Robbie, Jonah, Flash, and Deb Whitman. I thought he had some interesting ideas in some cases, such as Deb writing a Tell All book because if there's one person Peter kinda hosed over in his romantic life, it was her. And his last issue with Jonah and Peter is still a really good read and really shows what kind of relationship they had for the .5 seconds he was unmasked. And the sad thing is we'll probably never get an honest Jonah again because the cartoon character version is just easier to write. But for the most part, the villains were uninspiring boardering on horrible (Hobgoblin 2299) and some of the interesting side plots are dropped due to the rush to end the series for OMD.

I mean, Jonah telling his father "to butter a roll and sit down" with Norman Osborn, a man who at one time bought out the Bugle and has personally threatened him and most of his paper's staff, was absolutely mind boggling, and that was from a writer I generally like (Kelly in American Son).

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My favorite Jonah was from Amazing Spidey with DeMatteis that for all his cartoon bluster and stiffing him on pictures, when it came down to it, he took care of Peter. Like getting him a good lawyer and taking care of his legal expenses during his trial and whatnot.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really don't like DeMatteis' run for reasons God of Paradise mentioned.

Almost every story he did was a non-entity or just Kraven's Last Hunt with Kraven swapped out for Vermin or Harry Goblin or something else.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Light The Night was fun. Electro thanking Spider-Man for defeating him after he realizes he bit off way more than he could chew is a defining character moment. Plus, Peter is introduced to the idea of doing a photography book, and full-blown rear end in a top hat Jonah is not only given a legitimate reason for being an rear end in a top hat, but realizes he's being one, and actually apologizes to Peter in the end.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite part of the PAD run is how in the alternate reality where Spider-Man never goes into the superhero business, it shows a newspaper headline about Green Goblin being revealed as Norman Osborn accompanied by a photo of Thor beating the everloving poo poo out of him.

Norman's really better off in a world with a heroic Spider-Man.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gavok posted:

My favorite part of the PAD run is how in the alternate reality where Spider-Man never goes into the superhero business, it shows a newspaper headline about Green Goblin being revealed as Norman Osborn accompanied by a photo of Thor beating the everloving poo poo out of him.

Norman's really better off in a world with a heroic Spider-Man.

Do you have a pic of that, because that sounds amazing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's kind of weird how so many alternate realities where Uncle Ben survives make Peter act like a douche. You've got the egomaniac movie star Peter from PAD's run, you've got the caped jackass superstar who ruins Jonah's life from the What If where he stops the robber, you've got The Spider who literally murders his alternates to become some kind of Sentry entity, and my personal favorite, the one from the What If where May dies instead of Ben, where Ben finds out Peter's secret identity and is a bit overbearing in running his life, causing Peter to rebel and go sleep in an alley in his full costume.

Some random guy just finds Spider-man in a web hammock next to a dumpster.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They did it in the animated series as well; the Spider-Man who stopped the burglar (and thus never learned to use his powers responsibly) is a multi-billionaire industrialist and national celebrity who's engaged to Gwen Stacy, has Wilson Fisk as his lawyer and J. Jonah Jameson as his godfather, owns a giant Spider-Man robot, and is so accustomed to winning that he never even considers the possibility of failure.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Metal Loaf posted:

They did it in the animated series as well; the Spider-Man who stopped the burglar (and thus never learned to use his powers responsibly) is a multi-billionaire industrialist and national celebrity who's engaged to Gwen Stacy, has Wilson Fisk as his lawyer and J. Jonah Jameson as his godfather, owns a giant Spider-Man robot, and is so accustomed to winning that he never even considers the possibility of failure.

He also had the Spider Armor suit. That guy was the best.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, and didn't it have lasers or miniature rocket launchers as well as web-shooters?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Lurdiak posted:

It's kind of weird how so many alternate realities where Uncle Ben survives make Peter act like a douche. You've got the egomaniac movie star Peter from PAD's run, you've got the caped jackass superstar who ruins Jonah's life from the What If where he stops the robber, you've got The Spider who literally murders his alternates to become some kind of Sentry entity, and my personal favorite, the one from the What If where May dies instead of Ben, where Ben finds out Peter's secret identity and is a bit overbearing in running his life, causing Peter to rebel and go sleep in an alley in his full costume.

Some random guy just finds Spider-man in a web hammock next to a dumpster.
There was definitely an old What If comic or something where Uncle Ben ends up buying a police scanner and drives around helping Pete find things to do.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Probably Magic posted:

Yep, that'd be the one. And then I think I seriously started following the ongoing around the time JMS took over. These days, not so much, but hey, whatever Scarlet Spider is in usually ends up good!

That's crazy because that's the first issue of spider man 8 ever read as well

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
After the alt Pete talk and esspecially the 90's Spidey cartoon armour guy, didn't that show end unresolved and dimension hopping? Every other shows been referanced so far right will we see Spidey looking for Mj amid a two page fight scene centre fold splash pages?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wouldn't call it unresolved. Everything is solved, he meets with his creator, who observes that he's grown as a person, then Madame Web says "Ok, I'm taking you to Mary Jane now."

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Agent_grey posted:

After the alt Pete talk and esspecially the 90's Spidey cartoon armour guy, didn't that show end unresolved and dimension hopping? Every other shows been referanced so far right will we see Spidey looking for Mj amid a two page fight scene centre fold splash pages?

Slott believes Unlimited to be the same continuity as the 90's cartoon. So that Spidey is already dead for Spider-verse, but did find MJ because she was in the first episode of Unlimited I guess.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On a happier note next week we got Miles teaming up with Ultimate Cartoon Spidey in 60's Cartoon Spidey's dimension. The art is perfectly on point for that dimension.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24931

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

On a happier note next week we got Miles teaming up with Ultimate Cartoon Spidey in 60's Cartoon Spidey's dimension. The art is perfectly on point for that dimension.

holy poo poo

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
That's going to be a great issue for the first story alone. The Spider-Goblin story looks really interesting too. I'd buy Spider-Verse Team-Up for the rest of the year at this rate.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The background joke and the title card are really nice touches. Finally, the part of this crossover I've been waiting for. :allears:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You can tell that is probably going to be good because it's written by Gage instead of Slott.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Going off that, yeah, an ongoing series for Spider verse as a replacement for What If or whatever might be a lot of fun.

The Spiders replace the Britain Corps as multiuniversal agents if that cover of thrm decimated is indication.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Discarded Spider-Verse characters picking up the slack and teaming up with the Master Weaver to protect the multiverse could be an awesome idea if not taken too seriously.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Castomira posted:

Discarded Spider-Verse characters picking up the slack and teaming up with the Master Weaver to protect the multiverse could be an awesome idea if not taken too seriously.

Yeah. I'd totally read that. They have a lot of great potential characters like Miles, Ben, Kaine, Spidock, Spider-Gwen, Spider-UK, and can come up with more, etc. Just slap a good team or rotating team on it like what they did with Amazing after reboot.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hah, all of New York looks the same in '67 Spider-Man.

What universe is this Goblin from?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

notthegoatseguy posted:

What universe is this Goblin from?
The promo says it's "a Peter Parker who never got over [Gwen's] death" so presumably it's a brand new Spidey who had a Killing Joke moment and became the new goblin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

You can tell that is probably going to be good because it's written by Gage instead of Slott.

I don't know, if it's gonna be faithful to TV Ultimate Spidey, it'll have to be horribly unfunny.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Spider-Gwen is the one with the hood, right?

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Yup.

Soooo Amazing was pretty decent. There were a couple of pretty shocking moments, though the really major one was maybe a little telegraphed. I was not expecting the Scion to be revealed as Benjy.

I think I'm only just now realizing that the whole Naamurah storyline from Edge #3 was never meant to be relevant to the event. We're halfway through it now and they've never shown up again. I guess the point of that issue really was just "Spider-Man died and yet the world refused to change."

Team-up this week is good for the first story, but the second one is really short and I don't see what the point of it was other than maybe to set up that Verna is specifically Gwen's antagonist, just as Jennix is the clone antagonist and Daemos is the Mayday antagonist. If so, that's cool, I guess.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Castomira posted:

Yup.

Soooo Amazing was pretty decent. There were a couple of pretty shocking moments, though the really major one was maybe a little telegraphed. I was not expecting the Scion to be revealed as Benjy.

I think I'm only just now realizing that the whole Naamurah storyline from Edge #3 was never meant to be relevant to the event. We're halfway through it now and they've never shown up again. I guess the point of that issue really was just "Spider-Man died and yet the world refused to change."

Team-up this week is good for the first story, but the second one is really short and I don't see what the point of it was other than maybe to set up that Verna is specifically Gwen's antagonist, just as Jennix is the clone antagonist and Daemos is the Mayday antagonist. If so, that's cool, I guess.

Wait, seriously? I thought considering how they repeatedly showed Mayday checking in on Benjy and what the word 'scion' means, I didn't think it could be anyone else, except maybe Mayday herself. Yay me, I guess? If this means Silk is going to be Benjy's surrogate mother, I'm going to punch Dan Slott in the throat.

Also, great job having Morlun literally walk up behind a gaggle of Spider-Men and grab the Scion without them reacting at all save Spider-Girl getting punched out in one panel, Slott! That's truly great storytelling, especially the part where Spider-Girl YET AGAIN doesn't have any actual agency in this story except to get beaten up by inheritors.

And it's amazing that the big villain is...SOME OLD VAMPIRE GUY! Move over Green Goblin, truly THIS GUY is Spidey's true nemesis, indeed the nemesis of EVERY Spider-Man!

How the gently caress is the guy who wrote Great Lakes Avengers and Spider-Man/Human Torch the same person who poo poo out this turd?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jeez calm down already.

The characters are in shock given that they've just seen what they thought to be the most powerful Spider-Man get chumped and are momentarily distracted.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

And it's amazing that the big villain is...SOME OLD VAMPIRE GUY! Move over Green Goblin, truly THIS GUY is Spidey's true nemesis, indeed the nemesis of EVERY Spider-Man!
Not to keep belaboring the Vampire the Masquerade comparisons, but Solus is almost literally an Antediluvian in this story. That's how he's being written almost exactly.

If I'm not mistaken, you're arguing that this fact in particular makes the story stupid, as if it would be better if he were Norman Osborn with the Infinity Gauntlet, or something.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

Jeez calm down already.

The characters are in shock given that they've just seen what they thought to be the most powerful Spider-Man get chumped and are momentarily distracted.

You're cool Waterhaul, but your defense of Slott always baffles me. That it involved the most powerful character getting worfed just makes it worse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Jeez calm down already.

In the middle of a fight for their lives. Right. Because they'd not be trying to get out of there immediately or looking out in case one of the inheritors tries to sneak up on them. Maybe have a chat when they're not in mortal peril? That'd be a tad more dramatic, they manage to blindly flee to another Earth and try to make sense of what just happened only Oh poo poo, Morlun is right behind them.

And gain, the fact Benjy is the Scion, you'd think Old Man Spidey would've explained the significance of the Bride, the Scion and the Other as soon as one of them arrived in their midst? Since apparently they're important for no adequately explained reason.

Castomira posted:

Not to keep belaboring the Vampire the Masquerade comparisons, but Solus is almost literally an Antediluvian in this story. That's how he's being written almost exactly.

If I'm not mistaken, you're arguing that this fact in particular makes the story stupid, as if it would be better if he were Norman Osborn with the Infinity Gauntlet, or something.
At least with Norman Osborn there's a pre-existing connection (also, I keep hearing rumours Slott originally wanted it to be Norman with the Goblin Force, which is apparently a thing that exists). With the not showing him, I was kind of expecting more from the big reveal than 'big, old Morlun'.

I'm not denying the entire premise is stupid regardless.

Honestly, if I was going to do Spider-Verse, I'd have it as something not unlike that Marvel Team-Up story with Invincible, where 616 Spidey gets sent across the multiverse randomly. Maybe the Inheritors are specifically hunting Peter to get him back for killing Morlun, and are having the Master Weaver him bounce him around the multiverse to wear him down/make the hunt more challenging, with Daddy Morlun ordering that no Spiders can be eaten until Pete dies as a motivator for his offspring (also to avoid the gratuitous spider-murder). You could still have the Morlunverse idea as the big finisher, only instead of them having 'total domination over reality' (I daresay that guy with the funny name who's killing the multiverse in Hickman's Avengers would contest the idea), they just control one dimension and go out and hunt totems in the multiverse with the help of the enslaved Master Weaver, who it turns out sent 'our' Spidey bouncing round the multiverse to meet up with the other Spiders who have coordinated themselves to help, who ride in like the cavalry till 616 Spidey frees the Weaver, who then defeats the Inheritors and sends the Spiders home. Maybe in Spider-Verse Team-Up, you could follow some of the multiversal Spideys who are gathering the Spider-Army and having team-ups of their own in the process. A celebration of Spidey in his various incarnations, rather than random murder for cheap attention.

But I'm terribly uncreative

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 10, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

WickedHate posted:

You're cool Waterhaul, but your defense of Slott always baffles me. That it involved the most powerful character getting worfed just makes it worse.

It was a dumb fun book. The bad guy jumped a character and it cut away before we saw what happened after that point. It was also a book where Miles, Ultimate Spider-Man (from the cartoon, complete with cut away jokes) and 60's Spider-Man team up and rather than enjoying the fun of it we're getting dumb Dark Tittyfan and Red Hood levels of character adoration and whining.

And even still if there is a failure on the final scene it'd be on Coipel not showing Morlun getting the jump on Spider-Girl rather than on Slott's dialogue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Waterhaul posted:

It was a dumb fun book. The bad guy jumped a character and it cut away before we saw what happened after that point. It was also a book where Miles, Ultimate Spider-Man (from the cartoon, complete with cut away jokes) and 60's Spider-Man team up and rather than enjoying the fun of it we're getting dumb Dark Tittyfan and Red Hood levels of character adoration and whining.

I totally enjoyed the fun of that team up, just as I enjoyed Spider-Gwen and Spider-Evangelion, but that doesn't erase the bad or make the overall event any better.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Waterhaul posted:

And even still if there is a failure on the final scene it'd be on Coipel not showing Morlun getting the jump on Spider-Girl rather than on Slott's dialogue.

On the other hand, the couple of fun pages are lead up to stuff in Team-Up, which is the actual entertaining book of the week, so I wouldn't be surprised if those couple pages were more written by Gage than Slott.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Norman showing up with the Infinity Gauntlet would be 1000% better than anything Slott has come up with thus far.

• Locked thread