Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I just beat the chest for the first time, also the first time getting there, and I got Dead Boy. I think it's bugged though because I'm positive I took a few points of damage because my bloody lust was active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

LaughMyselfTo posted:

:confused: This was true in the original game, but not in Rebirth. In Rebirth, with The Habit and Book Of Revelations and no other Spacebar-item-modifying items, it should give you a sixth of a soul heart every time you're hit. The 9-Volt and the AAA Battery on top of that would only bring that up to a quarter of a soul heart every time you're hit.

I don't have Rebirth.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Eh, he's not that bad, it could be worse. They could've started him off without flight.

Yes he is. It being possible to be worse doesn't stop it from being garbage as is. That's the entire point of the character.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

LaughMyselfTo posted:

:confused: This was true in the original game, but not in Rebirth. In Rebirth, with The Habit and Book Of Revelations and no other Spacebar-item-modifying items, it should give you a sixth of a soul heart every time you're hit. The 9-Volt and the AAA Battery on top of that would only bring that up to a quarter of a soul heart every time you're hit.

You can still do this sort of thing in Rebirth, though. Habit + Blank Card + The Hierophant will give you 2 soul hearts for every four hits you take. Add in a wafer and maybe a 9-volt and you become totally unkillable.

e: For maximum ridiculous healing you can also do sharp plug + wafer + any healing item.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Lets Pickle posted:

I finally beat Suicide King. The deciding factor was Ringworm (and Ouija Board), of all things. It makes the trajectory of your Ipecac shots such that they pretty much always hit an enemy if you are aiming somewhat towards it.

i said it before, but ring worm can basically trivialize suicide king due to your shots being more interested in ramming into everything BUT you. even w/out anything to make your shot less deadly to yourself it's still pretty easy because all you have to do is aim well to make sure none of your shots swing back in your face

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Eschatos posted:

I don't have Rebirth.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - jesus loves you, can't you see

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there used to be a normal binding of isaac thread but it was closed by a mod because ???

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes he is. It being possible to be worse doesn't stop it from being garbage as is. That's the entire point of the character.

Yeah, The Lost isn't gonna be rebalanced. Aside from maybe nerfing the Holy Mantle, it's pretty clear that the devs are happy with The Lost as is. The unlocks are pretty neat at least. I wonder if the unlock condition is gonna be changed. Since the ARG is over, it's just kind of out of place. Getting all the no damage achievements or something would be a more sensible unlock condition.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Did you know that you can fight The Bloat in Depths/Necro 1 and then again in Womb 1? I didn't but I found out today.

I also got my first stream viewer today who got to see me tank a seemingly solid Hard ??? run in the Chest. I honestly think shielded tears are a liability against some of the later bosses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there used to be a normal binding of isaac thread but it was closed by a mod because ???

Everyone was posting about Rebirth in it. That and there's really no reason to play WoTL with Rebirth around.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Lets Pickle posted:

I finally beat Suicide King. The deciding factor was Ringworm (and Ouija Board), of all things. It makes the trajectory of your Ipecac shots such that they pretty much always hit an enemy if you are aiming somewhat towards it.

I beat Suicide King today as well. The deciding factor in my run was the Magic Fingers and a lot of money from early luck with blood donors.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Finally finished out my hard score cards for everyone today. I've died 4 times to Mega Satan on Hard as well and am going to give up on that for now. I feel like Devil Room odds are lowered in Hard making it even more of a pain in the rear end. Final stats:

280 hours played. I need a break.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Tried my hand at a hard mode run. And ended up with pretty much my dream run, Guppy and Lord of the Flies. :getin:

Also my first Purist run went smoothly. A D6 room gave me Tiny Planet, Gnawed Leaf, and Midas Touch, and then I picked up Fate on the same floor. Kind of surprised it ends at Mom's Heart now instead of Isaac.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Oh poo poo, found Dad's Key in the Chest. If I beat Blue Baby and die to Mega Satan, do I still unlock my item?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So I checked Steam's Global Achievements a moment ago and realized something. More People have all the no damage achievements than the Meat Boy achievement. There is something wrong here, I think.

Kurtofan posted:

Oh poo poo, found Dad's Key in the Chest. If I beat Blue Baby and die to Mega Satan, do I still unlock my item?

Yes. you unlock your item the moment ???/The Lamb Dies.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ashsaber posted:

Yes. you unlock your item the moment ???/The Lamb Dies.

Thanks, beat Mega Satan anyway, I had insane damage thanks to maximum money is power and other stuff.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ashsaber posted:

So I checked Steam's Global Achievements a moment ago and realized something. More People have all the no damage achievements than the Meat Boy achievement. There is something wrong here, I think.

Well, that's kind of a subjective way to view it, the question is which one was intended to be rarer, I 'naturally' got the no damage achievements without even trying cause once you have a Poly + Brimstone + Tammy's Head run you're just not gonna get any damage, throw in holy mantle and it's pretty much guaranteed.

As for the meatboy/bandage girl, as you obviously know, that poo poo has a 0.001% chance to happen naturally at the course of a run, and given that monster manual is a pretty useless pickup otherwise most people won't carry it for an entire game either.

Coming from the previous version it seems odd but it's really just a super rare achievement now, dunno if that's 'wrong' or not. Given how underwhelming a fully evolved meatboy/bandage girl really is it does seem a bit stupid though.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Anyone else on the PS4 suffer damage for no reason during the Mom boss battle? I'll be in the middle of the room with no summoned beasties or even the shadow of the foot coming down, and get randomly hit by something that doesn't exist sometimes. :psyduck:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
How exactly do the alternate floors work? Do you just have a random chance if getting them each time? I thought initially they were always the second floor of each chapter. Also on the screen in between floors, what does a little timer symbol on a floor indicate?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
No :negative:

I had pyromaniac, traded away my last heart for a damage upgrade and then picked up kamikaze.

I could have been invincible :negative:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

??? wasn't that bad in WOTL.

If you want a megapowered Azazel run, E48K BTN6 is your man. Early Proptosis, Mom's Contact, magic Mushroom and Odd Mushroom, plus The Mulligan at the Boss Rush. Isaac died in two hits.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I come to this thread asking WTF it was that I picked up in a dice room. It gave me Lord of the Flies (which I understand) and a bunch of other stuff that I more or less got, but it also gave me this thing that I controlled, kind of like Epic Fetus or the Doctor's Remote, that pulsated and caused damage on the edges. It trivialized Mom's Heart and Satan, especially since it was combined with Spider Bite and a bunch of other wacky stuff.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The Leck posted:

I come to this thread asking WTF it was that I picked up in a dice room. It gave me Lord of the Flies (which I understand) and a bunch of other stuff that I more or less got, but it also gave me this thing that I controlled, kind of like Epic Fetus or the Doctor's Remote, that pulsated and caused damage on the edges. It trivialized Mom's Heart and Satan, especially since it was combined with Spider Bite and a bunch of other wacky stuff.

Ludovico + Technology

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ludovico + Technology
I suppose the pulse worm is what made it... pulse. Thanks! I've spent way too much time on the original, and I'm enjoying all this crazy new stuff.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
What's the point of playing with keys if you can't unlock anything at all?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Idea for balancing The Lost: start him with Breath Of Life and permanent Curse Of The Cursed. :getin:

But Breath of Life doesn't work for me? I've tried it before but I still take damage. How do you actually use it? :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doctor Goat posted:

What's the point of playing with keys if you can't unlock anything at all?
Seeds are just for fun or for sharing crazy insane runs you got. A common complaint about the original game was that there was no way to 'save' your runs and the only way to preserve them after the fact was screenshots etc. The seed entry system in Rebirth solves this issue while still keeping people from cheesing the whole game by just using seeds to get everything they want.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

You can also use seeds for challenges and still complete them. You just enter them under NG and then go to the challenge. :ssh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Any tips on the Family Man challenge. I barely made it through It Lives. Then I realized it went on to the Cathedral. :negative: Rotten Baby is like the only useful familiar in that challenge.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

Any tips on the Family Man challenge. I barely made it through It Lives. Then I realized it went on to the Cathedral. :negative: Rotten Baby is like the only useful familiar in that challenge.

Orbitals help a whole lot, especially against Isaac. They are automatically giant orbitals.

Most upgrades are useless, so feel free to reset the run a lot.

Damage upgrades DO affect the rotton baby's flies, so get those for sure.

I wasn't able to get a brimstone baby, but if you get the chance: get a brimstone baby

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ror posted:

You can also use seeds for challenges and still complete them. You just enter them under NG and then go to the challenge. :ssh:

what the

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Oh goodness, is this the re-emergence of the bug that let you quickly cycle left or right to choose any character for a challenge run in the original? :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ror posted:

Anyone has a seed with a dice room that shuffles items?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

9L2C BBLN

This seed has lil Brimstone in the first devil room, and Humbling Bundle is in the shop on the second floor. Goat Head is in the first cave curse room too. Unfortunately The Haunt is the first boss. Good luck.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jibo posted:

Did you know that you can fight The Bloat in Depths/Necro 1 and then again in Womb 1? I didn't but I found out today.

I hope you did boss rush like I did and had to fight 3 Bloats in the same run. I was kinda hoping for another one in the Chest.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I can't remember if people like or hate Azazel. I had my furthest progression with him though. I got a dark bum fairly early on and had enough money to buy a habit when it came up in the first few floors. I didn't have a spacebar item yet but I went for it. Then I got book of revelations. And the devil room for that level gave me (...gimpy? I think it is?) The only bad part is my damage was still mediocre. I had lil brimstone which was my only real saving grace. I got monstro's lung for the first time ever (which obviously didn't work) and then got cricket's body. I was still making GBS threads out so many soul hearts that I sailed up to satan with ease. But the short range meant the spawning exploding things killed me in pretty short order.

My next run I was able to kill Isaac. I didn't even get anything remarkable that run. Just plenty of damage upgrades. Azazel just clicks with me apparently.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ugato posted:

I can't remember if people like or hate Azazel. I had my furthest progression with him though. I got a dark bum fairly early on and had enough money to buy a habit when it came up in the first few floors. I didn't have a spacebar item yet but I went for it. Then I got book of revelations. And the devil room for that level gave me (...gimpy? I think it is?) The only bad part is my damage was still mediocre. I had lil brimstone which was my only real saving grace. I got monstro's lung for the first time ever (which obviously didn't work) and then got cricket's body. I was still making GBS threads out so many soul hearts that I sailed up to satan with ease. But the short range meant the spawning exploding things killed me in pretty short order.

My next run I was able to kill Isaac. I didn't even get anything remarkable that run. Just plenty of damage upgrades. Azazel just clicks with me apparently.

Azazel annoys me because he's so one-note. I play this game for all the crazy things I can get to alter my setup, but Azazel can already fly and his "tears" already pierce terrain and enemies and are changed by almost nothing. I haven't touched him since I got his unlocks.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Azazel is pretty strong. He's pretty much easy mode. But if you don't find something like Brimstone, Tammy's Head, or something to deal with his short range, it becomes really annoying to deal with on the later floors. Aside from that he's pretty strong. Free flight is one of the strongest things about him.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Azazel is basically easy mode but he wore on me quick later just because there aren't many good synergies and finding Tammy's Head will instantly win your run.

There should be a Bloat mode, get The Peeper and any two of Brimstone, Mom's Eye, or Anemic and you get double Peepers and dual Brimstones(like the Bloat basically a double shot Brimstone firing up or down and if you fire left or right it fires a beam in the opposite direction too) and a big blood splatter when you walk.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed
Luckily I have a bomb, but if I didn't how are you supposed to get through this room? It seems impossible. What am I missing :confused:

Only registered members can see post attachments!