Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Punk's spent over half his life putting on performance fights for an audience, and I think it's really silly to act like there's no skillset overlap between that and doing real fights.

He's going to train his rear end off and he's going to have access to the absolute highest quality of teaching available. I think he'll win at least one fight.

You may think that's stupid but idc :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Here is a video of Chael Sonnen for you people who do not know him -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpT2W4zRzzM

"He lives vicariously through himself" is actually a very accurate description of Chael Sonnen.

Also I could laugh my rear end off at Phil Baroni. He asked Chael questions about getting into pro wrestling on his podcast recently, and this is definitely his best chance. Vince Mcmahon would pay a man millions if he could beat up CM Punk. And if Vince saw those weird bodybuilding videos from when Phil was young he would probably pay him billions.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
Anyone laughing at and wishing ill upon elderly, worn-out stage fighter cm punk for following his (alleged, huge guaranteed payday) dream and becoming an actual fighter are basically the bad guys in a disney channel sports movie and I'm not sure how you could live with yourself in that case.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Dexters Secret posted:

Punk's spent over half his life putting on performance fights for an audience, and I think it's really silly to act like there's no skillset overlap between that and doing real fights.

There's negative overlap because he's spent his entire adult life working on NOT hurting people.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Punk's pretty much my favorite wrestleman and he's going to get killed and I don't know how to accept that.

Seriously, he lost a slapfight to Teddy Hart back in his indy days, I don't want to see him get bloodied in UFC. :(

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Fighters who have called out CM Punk.xls

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

K8.0 posted:

There's negative overlap because he's spent his entire adult life working on NOT hurting people.

I have faith that Punk can ignore his instinct to fake punch instead of real punch.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bunch of marks looking for the big payday.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Dexters Secret posted:

I have faith that Punk can ignore his instinct to fake punch instead of real punch.

It's not like he hasn't done it before, just ask that guy he slapped in the audience that one time

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

KoldPT posted:

I think he said he had taken painkillers in the podcast, though.
Nah, on the second one he answered fan questions and appearantly a bunch of people wrote in with SO SINCE YOU DON'T TAKE ANY DRUGS DOES THAT MEAN YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANESTHESIA DURING YOUR SURGERIES OR WHAT because wrestling fans.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
CM Punk gonna get his rear end kicked
CM Punk gonna get his wig split

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/bisping/status/541436522730242049

quote:

michaelVerified account ‏@bisping

I see @cmpunk wants to kick rear end, well he can kiss my rear end! Welcome to the Ufc, let's do this! @ufc @danawhite

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Perdido posted:

He's been involved with professional wrestling in some way or another since he was 18(?) years old, he's 36 years old now. He does not have much in the way of formal MMA training -- he started training BJJ at Gracie schools like 2 years or so ago and apparently has been doing "MMA training" for the past 6 months or so. He has no amateur record to speak of.

His knees are shot to poo poo and he's had several surgeries to deal with them, he's looking to compete in middleweight or light heavyweight.

He's better than your average professional wrestler because he's straight edge and has avoided PEDs, but he's never been one of the most athletic guys out there. His selling point as a wrestler was being more of a personality than as an athletic freak a la Lesnar. He was a good wrestler, but his strengths laid more in story telling and plotting out matches.

lol

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
I am also calling out CM Punk, I have the 0-0 cage fighting record that Dana specified so, let's do this.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

archerb posted:

Anyone laughing at and wishing ill upon elderly, worn-out stage fighter cm punk for following his (alleged, huge guaranteed payday) dream and becoming an actual fighter are basically the bad guys in a disney channel sports movie and I'm not sure how you could live with yourself in that case.

Actually Punk is the bad guy because he's taken a slot and money that should be going to up & comer Ben Askren with 0 credibility or any reasoning other than "he's kinda famous!!!"

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Yuriy posted:

Actually Punk is the bad guy because he's taken a slot and money that should be going to up & comer Ben Askren with 0 credibility or any reasoning other than "he's kinda famous!!!"

One day Askren says he wants to fight in the UFC, the next day he doesn't want to fight in the UFC.

That's partially on him. Make up your loving mind.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
Punk didn't create the machine man. He's just playing by the rules of it "Luck is for losers" - CM Pun Joe rogan interview, 2014

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

One day Askren says he wants to fight in the UFC, the next day he doesn't want to fight in the UFC.

That's partially on him. Make up your loving mind.

Well, maybe they should have taken the money they're spending on a guy who has never fought before and has no skill set to speak of and use it to pay Ben enough to get him to come to the UFC instead of beating up asians for six figure paydays

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

cant believe cm punk is going to ruin the legitimacy of ufc. brain damaged 42 year old james toney didn't train for 2 months for it to come to this.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Yuriy posted:

Well, maybe they should have taken the money they're spending on a guy who has never fought before and has no skill set to speak of and use it to pay Ben enough to get him to come to the UFC instead of beating up asians for six figure paydays

He was just on Inside MMA saying he didn't want to fight in the UFC.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bellator wants Del Rio and Lesnar

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/90045/ufc-not-the-only-mma-game-in-town-looking-at-professional-wrestlers.html?p=1

quote:

UFC NOT THE ONLY MMA GAME IN TOWN LOOKING AT PROFESSIONAL WRESTLERS

By Mike Johnson on 2014-12-07 12:00:21

Coming off UFC's announcement last night that they have signed former WWE champion CM Punk to a multi-fight contract kicking off in 2015,

PWInsider.com has learned that Bellator MMA is also looking into bringing in professional wrestlers for their MMA promotion.

PWInsider.com has confirmed with sources within SpikeTV and close to the Bellator promotion that a gameplan has been devised with the idea of bringing in current and former pro wrestlers to augment the Bellator roster, which currently features former TNA champion Bobby Lashley.

The idea, as it was explained, is to utilize the wrestlers' natural speaking ability as a way to create "storylines" and garner attention for the SpikeTV-owned MMA company.

Bellator's recent relaunch under former Strikeforce owner Scott Coker featured a number of pro wrestling-inspired elements.

While we cannot confirm any wrestlers have been contacted as of this writing, the two names that were floated to us as an example of the style and level of talents they would be looking at were Alberto Del Rio and Brock Lesnar.

Del Rio, who has fought MMA before, recently settled his breach of contract issues with WWE. Lesnar, a former UFC Heavyweight champion, is currently under a WWE contract until April 2015.

archerb
Mar 3, 2005

thehappyprince posted:

cant believe cm punk is going to ruin the legitimacy of ufc. brain damaged 42 year old james toney didn't train for 2 months for it to come to this.

Punk Toney UFC 200 main event do it right dana

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Let's just hope they don't try to turn Del Rio face, that really didn't go over well the last time

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Punk will almost certainly lose but i still will watch to hope he wins and good for him doing something he's always wanted to do. Those are my in depth thoughts on the subject

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

archerb posted:

the bad guys in those teen Disney movies always wore leather jackets and backwards baseball caps and looked way cooler than the dweeby rear end lead with his glasses and mid-parted bangs and jean shorts and band of plucky supporters who somehow overcame everything including physical inadequacy and a decade disadvantage in experience to win the 4-on-4 roller skating competition while their parents never believed in them

the bad guys are the real winners sometimes

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

It's fitting that this is being announced on December 7th because this is an even bigger tragedy

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Yuriy posted:

It's fitting that this is being announced on December 7th because this is an even bigger tragedy

Hahaha

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I don't understand any of this but hopefully it means UFC gets a good pay per view bump out of him once or twice before he retires.

Also he's a loving straight edge guy, I thought those weirdos died out in the 90s.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Yuriy posted:

Ben Askren is boring and no one in America wants to see him fight, much like the Klitchkos.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I want to see Ben Askren fight,

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

I know you've hated Punk for years and it's fair to dislike the fact that a beat up pro wrestler with no legit background is getting a shot over dudes with far better credentials due to name value.

You know drat well why this is happening though, this has already gotten publicity from plenty of mainstream news sources and Lesnar has shown that a popular WWE guy will draw fans who otherwise wouldn't purchase a show.

Yes, Lesnar obviously had infinitely more potential to be a top level guy due to his amateur background and size, but that's not necessary to build excitement and draw. It's not like there's not plenty of precedent for MMA orgs to do poo poo to make money that's not in the best interest of pure competitive sport value either.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 7, 2014

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Miching Mallecho posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xn7L3ISYVs.

Punk and UFC are gonna make money, but I wish Punk wasn't going to get his face rearranged.

sonnen looking super young there

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Punk gonna sell some tickets, and possibly make Bisping have a meltdown along the way. I don't see how anyone (other than CM Punks swollen brain) are going to lose out of this.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't D-Bry have more MMA training than Punk

I wonder if he'd ever make the jump

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yuriy posted:

b-but the sanctity of ufc! won't someone think of the children?!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

EugeneJ posted:

Doesn't D-Bry have more MMA training than Punk

I wonder if he'd ever make the jump

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
ben askren is cool

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Well look at it this way: whatever unknown they get to fight him is going to get a lot more publicity then he'd normally get with a potentially bigger pay packet to boot, and when he wins: he can claim to be MMA's saviour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
no one feels insecure about mma. no one is going to be upset if cm punk wins a fight or is good.

• Locked thread