Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

This is probably more ignorant than anything Dan has said outside of his dumb TSA comment. You must not know a lot of people, because while Dan is an outlier, I know off the top of my head six people IRL that live life so absurdly carefree similarly(though perhaps not to the extent) to Dan. Also, consider that another host on the Bombcast is Jeff, someone who has probably dozens of hours of examples of his insane lifestyle. He's funny and smart as hell, but he also has had a pretty weird-rear end life to this point.

To be fair, I mostly associate with other super-stressed grad school students, so I think most of the carefree characters got weeded out.

Jeff is different, because his weirdness comes from cynicism. rather than naivety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

C-Euro posted:

Retronauts crew- the Silicon Knights X-Men game you were trying to name is X-Men Destiny. X-Men Legends rules and was made by the people who would go on to make Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, which rules even more...

I noticed this too. I also heard them skirt dangerously close to lumping Eternal Darkness in with that stuff but Bob pulled up at the last minute. :skeltal:

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
People really need to go back and listen to the couple of episodes of 1up Yours that Dyack is a guest on. That guy is just an absolute whack job.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Old Swerdlow posted:

People really need to go back and listen to the couple of episodes of 1up Yours that Dyack is a guest on. That guy is just an absolute whack job.

I remember that. He was getting in flame wars on neo gaf and quoting some sociologist to garnett.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bobulus posted:

To be fair, I mostly associate with other super-stressed grad school students, so I think most of the carefree characters got weeded out.

Jeff is different, because his weirdness comes from cynicism. rather than naivety.
Ironically most of the people I have known who were literally unable to boil water without loving it up, were college students - mostly from white, middle/upper class families. They'd just never had to cook anything more than a PB&J so they live on beer and take-out until they get marrieddiabetes. I don't know what school you go to, but I have known an still know tons of graduate students who're still in that "carefree" stage and who seem to feel that one day they'll be offered a job on a silver platter, and then they'll stop eating Little Ceasar's 3x a week because they've suddenly made it - sans life-skills. (I don't want to insinuate that all or most colelge students and or grad students etc are incompetent fuckwits - most I know are responsible and savvy people with lives and families and hobbies and poo poo, but the ones who aren't, are also pretty damned common, and they don't always drop out early because "perpetual student" is a killer gig if you can swing it, and frankly it's way easier and less emotionally draining to procrastinate papers until the last minute than it is to do telemarketing calls for 40 hours a week, for 1 year or 2, or be a caregiver, etc.)

Jeff gives the distinct impression that yeah, he's seen some "real life", and for the most part, it didn't involve waking up in the midst of a blackout, to find himself pissing on his father's DVD collection. Or even experimenting with "triple cheesing" boxed macaroni and cheese because hey if cheesy is good, why wouldn't just making an entire batch of it 3x as strong with 6x butter while throwing out those needless additions such as "pasta", not be better?

Some of Dan's "cooking experimentation" stories have made me actually nauseous. He is the car accident I cannot help but rubberneck, because there but for the grace of god, I might be if my parents hadn't taught me how to cook and balance a checkbook, etc. It's almost like a nature documentary on nerds who cannot logically still be living yet still survive and thrive, kind of like Idiocracy was.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 5, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The difference is that Jeff's a gently caress-off, but Dan's a gently caress-up.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I find itunes totally stupid. It will stop downloading podcasts that I listen too every week stating "inactivity". Then it will download podcasts that I have un subscribed too and never listen too. How does that work?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I would say that iTunes is the worst of all possible podcast management programmes, except that all of the other ones I've tried have been worse. Does anyone have any good suggestions for podcast apps?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

CottonWolf posted:

I would say that iTunes is the worst of all possible podcast management programmes, except that all of the other ones I've tried have been worse. Does anyone have any good suggestions for podcast apps?

Overcast or Pocket Casts. You'll get more answers in your smartphone OS apps thread in IYG.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can look forward to getting multiple answers, none which will guide you to the definitive iOS app for podcasts.

I use Downcast myself.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Jippa posted:

I find itunes totally stupid. It will stop downloading podcasts that I listen too every week stating "inactivity". Then it will download podcasts that I have un subscribed too and never listen too. How does that work?

iTunes is complete garbage, and somehow keeps getting worse. Downcast is my go-to for podcast management.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

I used to use downcast but switched to overcast as it feels simpler. I do most podcast listening on my phone but overcast also lets you log into it's (very simple and not feature rich) website to pick up where you left off if you'd like. It's mostly just an iOS player, though - the website is a nice side bonus but it's not a full featured podcast management cross-platform ecosystem or anything - but it's more than enough for my needs and I appreciate its cleanliness.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I have an android phone, so I find myself resorting mostly to Soundcloud for my podcasting needs on a day to day basis (or website streaming audio). I really appreciate that the duckfeed and IdleThumbs content mostly ends up soundcloud. The Level has turned into my favorite "round table game discussion" podcast, and it's entirely because it was on Soundcloud when I was looking for stuff to listen to.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I appreciate that. The continuing SoundCloud migration is kind of a pain (I've been putting off getting The Level its own pro account because of the time commitment), but it's ultimately been better than dealing with Libsyn.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I said this in the wrong thread.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
So running lean on podcasts lately, I decided to dive in to Watch out For Fireballs.

I have now listened to the vast majority of the episodes, along with all of Bonfireside Chat up to Dark Souls 2 which I haven't played yet.

I really love the podcast. Your dynamic, voices, and checklist of references are all great. Keep it up.

P.S. You guys are bad at Metroid Prime.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Thank you!

Metroid Prime is a contentious one, yes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
BeyondPod recently changed their UI and color scheme but it's been the best podcast listening app I've found. I can tell it what times to update, how many episodes to keep, and once you make a playlist and add the "play newest of each new podcast" rule, it works pretty good.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Woffle posted:

Metroid Prime is a contentious one, yes.

Obviously you should make it up to everyone who likes that game by giving Metroid Prime 2 the WOFF treatment. :kheldragar:

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
I got Pocket Casts on Android because I was like "You know, I listen to enough podcasts I should just buy a popular podcast app so I have a good one."

I liked it at first but over time problems have arisen, I find that it seems to randomly delay playing/pausing, deciding which episodes to keep, tracking of where you are in an episode leaves something to be desired overall, and it seems to crash randomly when I do certain things on my phone.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

BeyondPod recently changed their UI and color scheme but it's been the best podcast listening app I've found. I can tell it what times to update, how many episodes to keep, and once you make a playlist and add the "play newest of each new podcast" rule, it works pretty good.

Yeah, this is the one I use, and even though I still prefer the older version, I'm starting to get used to the update. I wish it was still light on a dark background. I also like that you can delete all played from the top right corner now and free up space. I don't think you could do that on the old version.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

HMS Boromir posted:

Obviously you should make it up to everyone who likes that game by giving Metroid Prime 2 the WOFF treatment. :kheldragar:

Maybe the joke is going over my head but Prime 2 isn't nearly as good as Prime 1. Then again I've been sitting on a copy of Prime Trilogy for a few years and they allegedly smoothed some things out in the re-release, so maybe I should marathon those two back-to-back and see how that feels (I never played Prime 3)

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I got Pocket Casts on Android because I was like "You know, I listen to enough podcasts I should just buy a popular podcast app so I have a good one."

I liked it at first but over time problems have arisen, I find that it seems to randomly delay playing/pausing, deciding which episodes to keep, tracking of where you are in an episode leaves something to be desired overall, and it seems to crash randomly when I do certain things on my phone.
I've been using Pocket Casts on android for ages and the only time I've ever had an issue was on an old phone that was having some pretty serious memory management issues in general that caused it to crash if I opened a big page in Chrome or something. That was an issue with the phone/whatever lovely ROM I was using at the time though, not Pocket Casts (which is great and totally worth the $5, in my opinion).

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

C-Euro posted:

Maybe the joke is going over my head but Prime 2 isn't nearly as good as Prime 1. Then again I've been sitting on a copy of Prime Trilogy for a few years and they allegedly smoothed some things out in the re-release, so maybe I should marathon those two back-to-back and see how that feels (I never played Prime 3)

Prime 2 is fine, it's 3 that's really hosed. Neither are as good as the first, to be fair.

E: I use Podcast Addict because I searched for "podcast" on the play store and it was the most popukar result. It does everything I want, but I mean that really just means it downloads and plays podcasts and also has a widget so I don't have to have it open fullscreen to use it.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 7, 2014

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Gary, I think you need to either just look things up with your mechanical non silent keyboard or get a silent keyboard that you use when recording. Saying "I would look this up but my keyboard is too loud. Kole could you get that?" like once a week on some podcast or another is as bad or worse than keyboard noise.

Just my most minor of objections.

To be fair I've never actually heard the keyboard maybe it's really frigging loud.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Prime 3 is great. It has much better pacing than either 1 or 2. The problem with Prime 1 going back is that everything takes forever to kill which screws up the pacing on a replay. I think 3 manages to strike the best balance there, even if it's lacking in other areas.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Timett posted:

Gary, I think you need to either just look things up with your mechanical non silent keyboard or get a silent keyboard that you use when recording. Saying "I would look this up but my keyboard is too loud. Kole could you get that?" like once a week on some podcast or another is as bad or worse than keyboard noise.

To be fair I've never actually heard the keyboard maybe it's really frigging loud.

I've always assumed Gary has a normal keyboard that doesn't make any noise, and that he enjoys having Kole do his bidding.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Timett posted:

I like to think Gary doesn’t use his keyboard anymore because he can feel the intense seething jealousy of people when he uses his keyboard.

I just like his clunky heavy sounding keyboard,

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, at this point it's sort of a joke. I didn't realize it was annoying.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Annoying is too strong a word but it definitely didn't ever read as a joke to me.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop
The next episode needs to have Gary looking something up, while this plays in the background

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Timett posted:

Annoying is too strong a word but it definitely didn't ever read as a joke to me.

I'll look up stuff on Abject Suffering from time to time and Kole has called it out in an exaggerated fashion but it's been a long time so I don't blame you for not remembering. It's not actually a funny joke or anything, just one of those running podcast things.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

EC posted:

I've always assumed Gary has a normal keyboard that doesn't make any noise, and that he enjoys having Kole do his bidding.

In fairness, it's a safe assumption that I'm always looking things up, especially on Bonfireside Chat but frequently on WOFF! as well. Odds are good that if Gary asks me to look something up, I'm already in the process of doing so.

My keyboard isn't even exceptionally quiet. It's a ten year old Saitek Eclipse II that's the auditory equivalent of an early-2000's standard Microsoft keyboard. I type very gently, use a microphone with a tight pickup pattern, and have my pre-amp set to cut most noise that isn't my voice.

For people who don't believe Gary's stories of his mighty keyboard, I assure you that the full force of its power creates a waveform that looks like a bar code.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've worked with people who refused to give up their old PS/2 khaki "clackity" keyboards. They do have a nice force-feedback when typing but you can hear them 50 feet away in a quiet office. When you start buying machines without any PS/2 plugs, people can freak the gently caress out because they can't imagine giving up their 20 year-old "ergonomic" monstrosity keyboards.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 7, 2014

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The keyboard is as much a part of the podcasts as Gary's cat. Both are good.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

True.

Also I always read it as a joke.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The keyboard is as much a part of the podcasts as Gary's podcat. Both are good.

Fixed that for you

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I forgot about the ongoing discussion and thought you were talking about the musical instrument.

Miss you, "Dictionary!" guy.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Oh poo poo, I can bring that back.

Also, thanks to everyone in this thread who donated to our live stream. I had the humbling experience of presenting a giant novelty check to Transactive tonight and it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The latest Bonfire Side Chat on the Crown of the Sunken King is an absolute masterpiece. Gary is just on fire throughout.

Thanks for doing these, guys.

• Locked thread