Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I hope it's good. Seems like a cool sadbox, if the can pull off the fun game portion of a sandbox game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

You got what you were asking for, and yet you're still acting like a whiny bitch about it? Jesus christ.

not really. i'm actually worried that the introvert british guy thinks he made a good "we made progress in the last 6 months" trailer

VVV
why can't the guy explore while spamming attack like i very much want to do?

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 7, 2014

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Real hurthling! posted:

so why are their trailers so boring? fire that guy

I thought their trailers are the exact opposites of boring. I can look at other stuff for explosions and fisticuffs.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

not really. i'm actually worried that the introvert british guy thinks he made a good "we made progress in the last 6 months" trailer

well they did for being a tiny indie team who didn't expect their little project to be getting so much attention

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is only a 5 man team. If you're blowing No Man's Sky into being something it's not, then that is your problem. The team making this game has marketed it beautifully so far and has shown everything they have promised so far.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

This is only a 5 man team. If you're blowing No Man's Sky into being something it's not, then that is your problem. The team making this game has marketed it beautifully so far and has shown everything they have promised so far.

yes i agree and i'll stop after this post super promise, but it doesn't look fun enough to play for 50 hours yet at all to me personally.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

it's only a 5 man team are you expecting something good

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's almost as if different people want entirely different things out of games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FishBulb posted:

It's almost as if different people want entirely different things out of games

What does that have to do with the argument that No Man's Sky hasn't been marketed correctly? Which we have already established is not the case.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

The weather update for DriveClub comes out tomorrow. Here is the final version of what it looks like; https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=737415383009491&set=vb.423631211054578&type=2&theater Which is to say it looks pretty drat good.

As neat as that is, it's hard to throw a parade for a feature that most games include out of the box.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Is there a PS+ version yet

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I said come in! posted:

What does that have to do with the argument that No Man's Sky hasn't been marketed correctly? Which we have already established is not the case.

Bullshit. 50% at least of the people posting have reservations about what's been shown vs what the game actually is.

That's not marketed good.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

I said come in! posted:

The weather update for DriveClub comes out tomorrow. Here is the final version of what it looks like; https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=737415383009491&set=vb.423631211054578&type=2&theater Which is to say it looks pretty drat good.

maybe instead of adding weather effects into their game they can work on making the game actually fully playable

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's been marketed as a thing that some people aren't at all interested in, mostly focusing on things that some people don't care about. Acting like one off mentions or examples of something in the totality of the advertising is "correct" or "good" is silly, it's about the entire gestalt of the advertising, and the advertising most people see. You can't blame people in any audience for not seeking out all the advertising and hype, there is just too much of it out there.

There was a big presentation yesterday that many saw, that's the advertising freshest in people's minds. It's not their duty to look up old advertising and decide how accurate it all is, advertising consumption should be a passive activity at best, not something you do research on to do it right.

It's just games. People are not maligning the game maliciously. They are reacting to what they saw.

FishBulb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 7, 2014

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

As neat as that is, it's hard to throw a parade for a feature that most games include out of the box.

true. the bizarre extended dlc release schedule of driveclub was probably a response to the game having no hope of being complete (issues with the server code aside)

robodex posted:

maybe instead of adding weather effects into their game they can work on making the game actually fully playable

i heard they just got it fixed this week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Bullshit. 50% at least of the people posting have reservations about what's been shown vs what the game actually is.

Because they don't pay the gently caress attention, not the fault of the developer. Most of the posts have been "why wasn't this shown?" when in fact it has been.

robodex posted:

Already happened like two weeks ago.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

robodex posted:

It is, all the online features (even the challenges now, which were the last real holdout) are working properly.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Fateo McMurray posted:

Is there a PS+ version yet

Nope. They really need to hurry. I am itching to get a racing game and am seriously considering that crew game just to have something to drive around in. I have the Vita NFS game now so hopefully it can hold me over until the racing games slated for early next year drop.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bombadilillo posted:

It's marketed fine for a game that is the game that it is. If it was colony wars or call of space duty then they'd be failing their marketing. Sorry if this game doesn't appeal to everyone. You don't see me bitching about realtime strategy games and how they aren't showing what I want.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

jabro posted:

Nope. They really need to hurry. I am itching to get a racing game and am seriously considering that crew game just to have something to drive around in. I have the Vita NFS game now so hopefully it can hold me over until the racing games slated for early next year drop.

don't get the crew it is an open world ubisoft game with fighting replaced by races but you need to grind car handling skill points instead of rhino pelts.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Feenix posted:

It's marketed fine for a game that is the game that it is. If it was colony wars or call of space duty then they'd be failing their marketing. Sorry if this game doesn't appeal to everyone. You don't see me bitching about realtime strategy games and how they aren't showing what I want.

I've seen like 30 minutes total of footage with ammo counter on the screen and one picture of a laser being shot. And zero of what's shown matches the bullet lists of all the cool fleets and police killing you will do in the game.

The walking simulator doesn't match what they are saying the game is.

Sorry the game you think it is doesn't exist.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

oknope posted:

it's only a 5 man team are you expecting something good

I was actually wondering if part of the skepticism came from the awful state some recent AAA games have released in.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
No Man's Sky is a really unique idea and I commend the developers for their thought process. For a team of 5, the game looks incredibly impressive. There haven't been many good space sims lately and I sure as gently caress am not going to put my hopes into Star Citizen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

seiferguy posted:

No Man's Sky is a really unique idea and I commend the developers for their thought process. For a team of 5, the game looks incredibly impressive. There haven't been many good space sims lately and I sure as gently caress am not going to put my hopes into Star Citizen.

No Man's Sky this much going for it; we don't have to buy $1000 space ships in order for the developer to stop threatening to not release the game with promised features.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Star Citizen.

i don't know anything about SC except that i heard its less a game and more of like a suite of different game modes that all relate to being in space. its very confusing. like a totally separate company is making the fps module that they will slap onto the space sim game which will also contain 50 other modules.

why does it all have to be one game? if the devs haven't embezzled all that money and bought houses overseas to flee to yet then they're doing it wrong.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i don't know anything about SC except that i heard its less a game and more of like a suite of different game modes that all relate to being in space. its very confusing. like a totally separate company is making the fps module that they will slap onto the space sim game which will also contain 50 other modules.

why does it all have to be one game? if the devs haven't embezzled all that money and bought houses overseas to flee to yet then they're doing it wrong.

It's been wild to see how much feature creep has been shoved into that game. It started off as a Wing Commander inspired space sim that would have a strong single player campaign, and basic dog fighting multiplayer. Now its turned into a space-sim MMO with a pay to win model.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

It's been wild to see how much feature creep has been shoved into that game. It started off as a Wing Commander inspired space sim that would have a strong single player campaign, and basic dog fighting multiplayer. Now its turned into a space-sim MMO with a pay to win model.

GB podcast said its going to have multiple executable files or something to run all the parts of it. its not even one game anymore.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Bombadilillo posted:

I've seen like 30 minutes total of footage with ammo counter on the screen and one picture of a laser being shot. And zero of what's shown matches the bullet lists of all the cool fleets and police killing you will do in the game.

The walking simulator doesn't match what they are saying the game is.

Sorry the game you think it is doesn't exist.

You're being mad pedantic. There will be guns and shooting and stuff. The game is like a year away. Are you new to the Internet or something? Early footage without complete systems are shown all the time. But to expect that guns and combat are such a main focus that they would be the first things shown is completely naive.

:siren: IT'S A GAME ABOUT EXPLORING A PROCEDURALLY CREATED UNIVERSE. :siren:

Everything else is going to come secondary to that.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Real hurthling! posted:

VVV
why can't the guy explore while spamming attack like i very much want to do?

Considering his offices got flooded, yea he made progress.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Let's turn our attention to games a little closer to release and more worthy of scrutiny at this time.

The new Tomb Raider top down game. It comes out Tuesday. I've not heard a lick about it. The first game was surprisingly fun, mired only by my not having any good friends to co-op with.

Have their been any write-ups I've missed?

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Real hurthling! posted:

GB podcast said its going to have multiple executable files or something to run all the parts of it. its not even one game anymore.
It never was all one game, it's actually two different games. Squadron 42 can be player entirely offline like the original Wing Commander games while Star Citizen is an online Freelancer style game with a pile of players.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So I missed yesterday's stuff. Are there going to be streams and stuff happening today?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

oknope posted:

say what you want but I have been a big playsation fan for 2 decades now and even I think what they are doing strikes me as bit arrogant. why is a specific, celebrated, console sku dedicated to literally minutes for fans? it doesn't make sense to me why I, being a fan for so long, can't get in on the action because i have a wife to love and a chilid to feed. so now my option is to go ebay and to pay an unimaginable price for this.

At the same time it's just a gray playstation. Paint your PS4 gray if it's that exciting to you.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If they really wanted to create an anniversary console, they should have just stuck the PS4 innards into a PS1 shell, just a little bigger probably.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wait, are people still whining about that anniversary PS4? Come on goons, it's a gray Playstation. I think your life will still go on after this...perhaps you need a reality check?

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Is The Witness real? loving maze puzzles the entire game? This could be an app.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ometeotl posted:

If they really wanted to create an anniversary console, they should have just stuck the PS4 innards into a PS1 shell, just a little bigger probably.

While the gray PS4 is quite snazzy, a PS4 in a PS1 cabinet would have all my money. Not a custom job, but an officila Sony machine would be incredible.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Everyone is discussing the PSX edition PS4 as its the only thing exciting the ps4 has. Sony also sold it at $499.99

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Kirios posted:

Wait, are people still whining about that anniversary PS4? Come on goons, it's a gray Playstation. I think your life will still go on after this...perhaps you need a reality check?

If I wanted your opinion I would camp the special edition release of it and then whine when I couldn't get it thankyouverymuch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kirios posted:

Or maybe open up to the reality that a few million people would have wanted it.

• Locked thread