Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I would've thought Persona 4 and all the spin offs would've been worse than FFXIII

He did Kanji's voice in like 3 of those games and maybe the anime too then I think jumped ship when P4A2 and Persona Q came along. The guy that replaced him mimics Troy Baker's voice really well though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

To be fair if you could make millions by doing no work at all why the gently caress would you not?

A lot of people are still put off by the really dated character models, although I find them pretty charming. I know some fan-made mods try to replace them with more detailed or realistically-proportioned ones, but they still have the original animations, and they never get round to updating all the NPCs to the same quality.

I'd be really happy if they kept the same backgrounds, but used the Itadaki Street designs. Battles could use similar character models to Crisis Core.

I don't know why they're still updating that ancient PC port, since it means that battles run at 15 fps and everything else at 30. I'm assuming that Grim Fandango is just the old assets brought over to a new engine, and that also relies on 3D characters on pre-rendered backgrounds.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

I would've thought Persona 4 and all the spin offs would've been worse than FFXIII

He did Kanji's voice in like 3 of those games and maybe the anime too then I think jumped ship when P4A2 and Persona Q came along. The guy that replaced him mimics Troy Baker's voice really well though
I don't think him dumping P4 was really a 'gently caress this' thing. He had to stop doing the anime mid-show because he got married, and then he was probably just too busy getting paid by every single AAA game dev studio to take a no doubt smaller payday.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Didn't FFX/X-2 HD not do so well? It looks like people only want to buy FF7 over and over

Yes, it did so terribly that it sold over a million copies worldwide and exceeded Square's expectations. Oh wait... Stop with the crazy talk. It did exceedingly well and it's likely we will get FFXII HD because of it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Thats kinda funny, considering he said pretty much the exact opposite at the time.

http://t.joystiq.com/all/2012-05-30-troy-baker-the-industrys-new-nolan-north#1

Some time gives people perspective. Also a lot of potential clients dinging him on that work.

Anyway, the FF7 thing was funny but who gives a poo poo. That screen time should have been dedicated to a new IP or plans for a new Vita game or anything, god. It's sad that I get more excited about what Level5 has to say these days.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

bloodychill posted:

Some time gives people perspective. Also a lot of potential clients dinging him on that work.

Anyway, the FF7 thing was funny but who gives a poo poo. That screen time should have been dedicated to a new IP or plans for a new Vita game or anything, god. It's sad that I get more excited about what Level5 has to say these days.

Or Silicon Studio. The Bravely Second demo hits in Japan on the 10th.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Maybe SE will decide to do a port of SaGa Frontier for PSN/Vita and as an added bonus they'll go back in and finish the game so we can play Fuse's storyline, and Lute's will be longer than 5 minutes. :unsmith:

We can laugh at the fools who aren't playing Xenoblade Chronicles X.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was MIDI on the PS1 as well.

The PS4 version of FF7 is going to have its entire soundtrack done by Smooth McGroove:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfrsvfcZ8ZE

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe SE will decide to do a port of SaGa Frontier for PSN/Vita and as an added bonus they'll go back in and finish the game so we can play Fuse's storyline, and Lute's will be longer than 5 minutes. :unsmith:

Lute's story was probably never planned to be that long, honestly. All the SaGa games have a character with no story events, so that you can move on to the nonlinear stuff as quickly as possible. There's a character in the PS2 Romancing Saga whose entire storyline is that she danced at a bar once.

Fuse, on the other hand, we got screwed out of.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

oblomov posted:

Yes, it did so terribly that it sold over a million copies worldwide and exceeded Square's expectations. Oh wait... Stop with the crazy talk. It did exceedingly well and it's likely we will get FFXII HD because of it.

I honestly remember hearing it didn't do that well! It also went 50% off within 2 months.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Lute's story was probably never planned to be that long, honestly. All the SaGa games have a character with no story events, so that you can move on to the nonlinear stuff as quickly as possible. There's a character in the PS2 Romancing Saga whose entire storyline is that she danced at a bar once.

Fuse, on the other hand, we got screwed out of.

Lute's story was pretty much that, hell according to official timelines, his is finished last because he's recruitable in everyone else's story. drat shame about Fuse, Asellus and anyone else in that game with bits cut from their story. Come to think of it, I think the three complete stories were Blue, Red, and Riki. So cool, awesome, and a waste of goddamn time.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I honestly remember hearing it didn't do that well! It also went 50% off within 2 months.

wikipedia posted:

During its first week on sale in Japan, the PlayStation 3 and Vita versions of the game sold 185,918 and 149,132 copies respectively.[55] The total sales for all versions in its first week was over 339,000 copies.[32] The individual PlayStation Vita versions of X and X-2 sold 31,775 and 16,355 respectively during their first two weeks.[56] The two versions of HD Remaster were also successful in North America, selling 206,000 units within a month of its release.[57] The game was the fifth best-selling game for PS3 and the top-selling title for Vita on the PlayStation Network.[58] The title's overall sales were cited by Square Enix as a reason for its improved financial situation at the end of the 2013/14 fiscal year.[59] The remaster has received favorable reviews in the West. On GameRankings, the Vita version holds a 89.90%, and the PS3 version an 86.21%.[43][44] On Metacritic, the Vita version holds a score of 86/100,[45] and the PS3 version an 85/100.[46]

Seems like it did pretty swell since SE stated it was the reason it did well at the end of 2013. And since the remaster probably didn't cost anywhere near the price of the original, it didn't need to sell as much to profit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TARDISman posted:

Lute's story was pretty much that, hell according to official timelines, his is finished last because he's recruitable in everyone else's story. drat shame about Fuse, Asellus and anyone else in that game with bits cut from their story. Come to think of it, I think the three complete stories were Blue, Red, and Riki. So cool, awesome, and a waste of goddamn time.

It's sad, because Asellus is my favorite storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUvL1hMSsjI

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TARDISman posted:

Fuckin' Riki. The Armic of Saga Frontier.

But did you ever play Romancing Saga PS2? That's a good game, but I think people passed it over because Unlimited Saga was... Unlimited Saga.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

But did you ever play Romancing Saga PS2? That's a good game, but I think people passed it over because Unlimited Saga was... Unlimited Saga.

I tried it about 3 or 4 years ago, never really got anywhere in it. I only was really grabbed by SaGa Frontier I and II and FFL3. I'm probably going to try it again once I get a PS2 that doesn't poo poo itself or get damaged by my cat.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

unlimited saga has an amazing soundtrack

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

unlimited saga has an amazing soundtrack

Unlimited Saga has amazing everything, but people didn't like it regardless.

Except for Armic. Nobody likes Armic.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Unlimited Saga has amazing everything, but people didn't like it regardless.

Except for Armic. Nobody likes Armic.

ya amazing everything....except gameplay.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's sad, because Asellus is my favorite storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUvL1hMSsjI

It's probably wishful thinking, but I'd love to see a SaGa Fronter remake in the same vein as the Romancing SaGa remake.

... if only to get more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eYtwFJQvsE

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 7, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Varance posted:

It's probably wishful thinking, but I'd love to see a SaGa Fronter remake in the same vein as the Romancing SaGa remake.

... if only to get more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eYtwFJQvsE

That's not the Alkaiser theme!

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

With optional voiced version.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Gologle posted:

I just want Square to come on stage or announce online in a huge booming text that nobody, not even themselves, actually remembers how FF7 really went and so there's really no way they could remake it so shut up, please shut up about a remake, you don't even know the game you actually want.
No one remembering VII sounds like the plot to a FF game. Reality the true Final Fantasy VII.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Butt Ghost posted:

No one remembering VII sounds like the plot to a FF game. Reality the true Final Fantasy VII.

Squall was Cloud but the GFs made him forget.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Raruna posted:

That is incredibly disingenuous. No, they didn't indicate that, but Square-Enix isn't completely deaf to their fan's expectations.
An on stage presentation is absolutely not the appropriate platform for them to announce the 3rd time they're porting a game to another console. People expect this kind of thing to be announced through a small press release.
They know very well that any mention of FFVII has to be prefaced with whether or not it's a remake, and that they should announce it at the appropriate venue so as not to have fans feel like they're being toyed with. It very much is their responsibility to communicate with them while taking into account their expectations.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

SE: "Well here's that game, now on PS4!"

FAN: "They My expectations trolled me so hard! They should have announced they were finally remaking it when they made no indication that's what was happening!"

As people have said, why remake a game when the original keeps selling?

At an event called the 'Playstation Experience™', I think it's plenty appropriate to announce they're bringing the game to PS4 as Final Fantasy VII is a 'Playstation Experience™' being there from the beginning and rising up to become this legendary thing. By not remaking they make sure no matter what age the player is or when they play it they have the same 'Playstation Experience™' as those when it first came out.

Sounds like you're trying to tell a company how to run itself and the expectations and desires of the viewers of the 'Playstation Experience™' more or less trolled themselves. But again, I didn't really like FFVII and the more I think about it the more I dislike it so I don't get all the fuss. I think they should just add in analog controls and leave it at that, it looks fine, it plays fine (bar movement) and if you really need pretty graphics to play a game from '97...well...hmm.

Gologle posted:

I just want Square to come on stage or announce online in a huge booming text that nobody, not even themselves, actually remembers how FF7 really went and so there's really no way they could remake it so shut up, please shut up about a remake, you don't even know the game you actually want.

It would be glorious :allears:.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 8, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

citation needed

anyway some people are being a little silly but it's also perfectly reasonable to want a remake of a game you like. just because you didnt like it doesnt mean everyone who does like it is an idiot

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like FF& and want a remake of it,, but I also do not want Square to go under.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Final Fantasy Ampersand: Conjunction

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So with ff13 and every other final fantasy game they've released for PC doing fairly well, what do you guys think the chances for ff15 on PC are?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ohtsam posted:

So with ff13 and every other final fantasy game they've released for PC doing fairly well, what do you guys think the chances for ff15 on PC are?

Probably pretty high, but that's more because the PS4 is a much easier system to port PC than the PS3.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Evil Fluffy posted:

I want to live in the world where SaGa fans are allowed to have nice things.

Also, regarding Blue's story...was the ending really supposed to just be that? I don't think I ever got more confused as a kid than when that happened. Knowing how much poo poo was cut from the game, I can't help but wonder if that was on the list too.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So as someone who likes all the final fantasies but has never played a Suikoden game, am I going to want to get Suikoden 1 and 2 when they come out on Vita in 2015 as revealed at the PSE today?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Read Cake Attack's post again.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Suikoden 1 & 2 are to final fantasy as Citizen Kane is to Grown Ups.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

So as someone who likes all the final fantasies but has never played a Suikoden game, am I going to want to get Suikoden 1 and 2 when they come out on Vita in 2015 as revealed at the PSE today?

Pretty sure they're supposed to be available on PSN next week. Yeah, December 9th.

So are their stories direct sequels? Should I play Suikoden 1 before playing 2?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
There are some big connections and they exist in the same world but aren't 100% direct sequels. You can play Suikoden 2 before 1. You should still play 1->2 because while 2 is one of the best RPGs ever, 1 is still a fun and solid game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Plus, you get to carry over some cool stuff to 2 if you have a save file from 1.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
While I did laugh at the FF VII on the PS4! announcement, it makes me wary of Sony's plan for the PSX (and maybe PS2) backwards compatibility, which most people assumed would be implemented by the use of software sometime in the future - to be precise, it made me question if there actually is such a plan; I don't recall Sony ever officially saying so, but if the PS4 will now get straight ports of PSX games sold as new ones then :lol:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah the same thing happened when the PS3 took out PS2 compatibility. It started with "Oh they talked about Software emulation! I'm sure they can do it!" And constant speculation on that front. Then it turned out the "software emulation" they figured out was to sell every PS2 game to you again digitally.

Right now if you want to play PS1, PSP, or select PS2 games again you want to get a Vita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ohtsam posted:

I think there is a very good chance of it appearing on PC, even if the game is not day and date with the console versions. They have an x86 build of the game and the game is presumable being developed in a PC environment. The Luminous Engine was supposed to facilitate cross-platform development including PC.

At the very least, they seem to be keen on getting all of their games on their Dive-In cloud streaming service. So we'll end up with a workable PC version one way or the other. Kingdom Hearts 3 is on Unreal Engine 4 which makes it very easy have your game on multiple platforms.