Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Sorry, for somebody who's kinda drifted away from LP, what is the problem with the archives? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The LP archives are fine. It's the forum archives have been acting up. Threads past a certain date have some posts missing once they fall into the archives, and baldurk hasn't been archiving LPs because of that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ToastGhost posted:

Still, just looking for feedback and first impressions. I'd definitely be interested in continuing this, just wanted to get a test post out there to take a general pulse.

There's a lot of screenshots of text. You could cut a lot of images out if you transcribed them down yourself, however that is a lot more time consuming.

Somesthing like:

Baynes: Anything your Majesty.

Henry the Eighth: Very good. I'd like you to take command of a warship.

Oh boy!

etc.

would cut out a lot of the samey screenshots that don't add a whole lot. Also, better idea would be to add small avatars in front of whatever text a character says rather than Bold names.

E: Hell, with the way the text boxes are set up you could just cut and paste them together depending on the conversation.

ToastGhost
Jul 28, 2012

20% cooler

Jobbo_Fett posted:

There's a lot of screenshots of text. You could cut a lot of images out if you transcribed them down yourself, however that is a lot more time consuming.

Yeah, I figured this. That test post is not the shining example of effort since it was my third attempt after the first two were failed by each screenshot accidentally having having my mouse cursor in it. :hurr:

Small avatars is a good idea, especially for Otto and Matthew. Not that fucker Gilbert though. :colbert:

One last question is how I should handle the thread itself. I'm thinking from what I've seen in other LPs, that in a game with this much complexity, I should have a dedicated second post hyperlinking to each individual mechanics chat: one for ships, trading, naval-combat, sword combat, rpg elements etc. I guess I could save the first post for dedicated hyperlinking to updates and mechanics chat while saving the second post onward for actual updates.

Otherwise do people think this is ready or near ready for an actual first post in a thread? I'll come up with an OP detailing some of the development of the game and otherwise I just need to put in a bit of effort transcribing a lot of these screenshots, but the intro part to this game is easily the most wordy, so hopefully that's out of the way now.

Especially since I've done it three times now. :gonk:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A lot of those comments seem redundant or pointless, I mean the bits like "credit where credit is due". Now, I've never done an SSLP before, but I imagine you'd want to have something like content or a joke between screenshots as opposed to white noise like that.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

i recently started an LP for a few friends, & it seems to go down well, so someone suggested: why not post it on the forums? accordingly, a test post follows. criticism or suggestions appreciated.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

Let's_Hate Watch_Dogs

Ubisoft games, right? You've got a map with a lot of icons on it. The controls are very consistent, and you can climb on stuff. It's a pretty good formula. Watch_Dogs promised to shake that up by bringing out emergent modern-world gameplay, in a near-future Chicago where everything is computers. Announced in 2012 with an impressive gameplay demo, it was clear that this was going to be their next big franchise - huge ambitions, huge expectations, huge budget. Hacking and driving and shooting a gun at the same time was going to be the next-gen Thing.

By October 2013 it became apparent that there were problems. The game was delayed for six months because - according to Ubisoft! - it just wasn't fun. A complex open world relies on a lot of systems all coming together and interacting, and all of the promised innovations - "profiling" of your fellow citizens, environment manipulation, augmented reality - these hinged on that interconnected core. It's rare that a large publisher will slip a heavily-marketed game past the holiday period, so the delay was almost a sign of goodwill - Ubisoft wanted to get this one right, to polish it to a memetic level of glisten. So did it work? Yes, and also, no.

There was a brief furore at the game's release about a 'graphical downgrade', since it didn't live up to the E3 demos, but it still looks good. Chicago is rendered as a very pretty city, more colourful than most GTA imitators, and the presentation is as smooth as the controls. Many or most of those systems did come together after all; you have options for how to play and they're generally fun to engage with. Even the obligatory spread of minigames is entertaining. Unfortunately, the game's premise is total dogshit focused on the world's most sullen rear end in a top hat.

I finished Watch_Dogs and I could not believe my eyes/brain. I'd just come from playing Dark Souls, which made the transition extra-jarring; shoothacking phoneguns was fun enough, but the story managed to be infuriating at every turn, constantly asking me to sympathise with insane assholes and do nothing but create problems, fail, or create problems by failing. None of the thematic premises delivered, the protagonist wanted to be Batman, and half the game was about voyeurism. The ostensible good guys, the actual 'watchdogs', got a one line mention at the very end when the protagonist decided not to join them due to being too much of a dickhead.

Aiden Pearce

I hated Aiden Pearce so much that I immediately began replaying the game to record this hate. He's a violent petty criminal who makes a living picking digital pockets. Jerked loose from this life when, spoilers, his niece dies, he spends a year and a videogame going on a crusade of vengeance which is all about him - destroying the rest of his family in the process. He can't interact with anyone without violence, and takes out his rage on Chicago by beating people up for crimes he guesses they're about to commit and watching domestic scenes through hidden cameras. At every stage, saner people beg Aiden to turn from his destructive quest; they die off one by one and he ends by killing a helpless old man (also monstrous; most people in the story are monstrous). 'The vigilante known as the Fox' then details his plans to become a superhero in the sequel.

Aiden's powers are sweet freaking motorcycles, the ability to 'hack' objects by pressing X, and ultraviolence. He escalates his way through, say, 30 hours of gameplay, alternating between techno-stealth and cover shooting. You can level up, which is enjoyable because the numbers get higher. All this is in service of VERY lovely writing and a lot of frankly unnecessary edgy stuff. I particularly refuse to think about the sheer time it would have taken to craft each of the long, individualised voyeurism cutscenes, of which there are ~30 rendered in engine and somewhat more wireframed. People talk about the Profiler as potentially offensive but it didn't even register compared to the main thrust of this game.

Please enjoy this. People should see what was wrought.

Episode 1 (Polsy): Premises -- Tutorials -- Relative psychopathy -- Stealth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRBaFRvD3AQ&hd=1

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Dr. Fetus posted:

The LP archives are fine. It's the forum archives have been acting up. Threads past a certain date have some posts missing once they fall into the archives, and baldurk hasn't been archiving LPs because of that.

Forum archiving has been turned off for at least six months now, so I'm not sure why Baldurk wouldn't be archiving stuff.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Gul Banana posted:

watch_doges GOTY

There is a constant buzz in the audio which you can probably fix with noise removal in audacity or something.

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

You're right- I used too high a mic boost there. I've switched to a new setup now of turning down the game volume instead, so it shouldn't recur, and I'll look at whether the existing one is feasible to recut

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Gul Banana posted:

Let's_Hate Watch_Dogs

Sometimes it was a bit hard to hear you during the cutscenes, so you might want to turn the sound down a bit on that. Otherwise I am pretty interested in this game. It looked so cool when it was first shown, but even from the start it was pretty obvious the story was gonna be trash.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I remember my train of thought watching the first Watch Dogs trailer; growing more and more interested and impressed, thinking about how this could be the cool new thing in games, a real step forward, and then the player character took out a gun and hid behind cover and all I could think was "Oh....... "

Will definitely be following this LP.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ToastGhost posted:

I'm not saying your faith is misplaced but perhaps there are some things that don't need or deserve fixing.

So, uh, disregarding that post that got me banned or probated about eight pages back (which was the right decision), I've come back with a test post that I spent the better part of the night on and was looking for some feedback. You can find the test post here:

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21222

I'm not sure if I have any specific questions, but in general does this look acceptable? I used imgur to host the screenshots since I couldn't get lpix to do a batch upload, but this seems to have worked fine. I also meant to pepper it with some more smileys (especially some raging at that fucker Gilbert), but that'll come later. One question I did have would be what should be the proper length for something like this? I started with 99 screenshots and cut it down from there, but if you think it's too long or too short let me know, I think I got a good balance for this intro post, though with some more effort I could've transcribed some of the text as well.

Still, just looking for feedback and first impressions. I'd definitely be interested in continuing this, just wanted to get a test post out there to take a general pulse.

And apologies for what might have been posted by me prior. That was shortly after my identity and a lot of my personal info had been stolen and immediately prior to my hospitalization. I can't even remember writing that first post and I dread to think what else might be out there...

edit: I also need a title! Does "The Ballad of Baynes" sound too generic?

There are scripts online so you can just copy paste the story bits into your script then use Find/Replace to replace the names with images of the characters. This will save you a ton of time, and was how I did my shadowrun LP's, (which were bad and the people who read them were only humoring me.)

You don't need that many images, look up online maps of the areas and throw some numbers around and screenshot the story important interiors. Gifs work very well for the more important story stuff. Use Gooncam.

A bunch of your screenshots have a cursor right in the center, but you're doing well with keeping the resolution close to native. You probably should end your update to at least the point where something interesting happens, like when you get out of port.

As for the game, a ton of the story stuff actually weaves together. There's part of Baynes story that gets dropped in Catalina's, Catalina is intertwined with Joao, and the other 3 actually interact with the first 3 a ton.

The PC version also has hookers, beer, and gambling. Just so you know.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Gul Banana posted:

Let's_Hate Watch_Dogs

If you are going to do this, I recommend you put your commentary on the events into a separate video. I can follow along with what you're saying because I beat this game, but someone who hasn't played the it before won't be able too. Specifically, you mention that Maurice is a sympathetic character way before the game lets you find this out for yourself. Try to space it out and talk about the individual components in individual videos. This will let the audience understand the point you're trying to make after seeing the game in action. I mean case in point, you give away events that happen in the final mission in Aiden's profile.

Now for the big thing. This is not a bad game, it's a mediocre one, but everyone thinks this is like EA's Sim City that killed their dog. As such, criticism of this game becomes circlejerky as gently caress. Space out the criticism so that your commentary does not become a constant rant. Because that's boring and unfunny. Plus this game has some genuinely cool features, like the online tailing.

I'd also show off the Bad Blood DLC because that's Watch_Dogs but much better. Then if you can show off The Palace, for a mission in the game that is actually loving broken (Day 1 special edition bonus thanks Ubi!).

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

OK, I can do most of that. I'm not going to present the story in its intended form spoiler-free and all because I have absolutely no respect for it, but I'll space things and show off good as well as bad. Thanks for the advice!

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mico posted:

Forum archiving has been turned off for at least six months now, so I'm not sure why Baldurk wouldn't be archiving stuff.

There's some threads from between Archives breaking and pruning being disabled that have missing posts. According to the Technical Thread in QCS, this is because Radium set it up so "copying to the archive server" and "pruning the live forums" were separately-run scripts, and when the former broke the latter continued working fine.

Radium was not a good programmer.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Is the data permanently lost?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

Is the data permanently lost?

I don't know if they have backups sitting somewhere, but as far as I understand the missing posts were literally deleted because the script assumed they were successfully copied to the Archives server, yeah.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Haha, crap, are we all waiting for something to be fixed that will never happen?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Blind Sally posted:

Haha, crap, are we all waiting for something to be fixed that will never happen?

Yes.

Like the archives and pruning functions may be restored eventually but that data's probably gone forever.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hopefully nothing of importance was lost.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hopefully nothing of importance was lost.

all forum posts are by nature unimportant. We're safe.

e: another joke here would be "it's okay, some of my posts got lost, therefore nothing important was lost"

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

all forum posts are by nature unimportant. We're safe.

e: another joke here would be "it's okay, some of my posts got lost, therefore nothing important was lost"

I wish this post was lost forever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Suspicious Dish posted:

I wish this post was lost forever.

The odds are pretty good that it will be, someday!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
lowtax stickied his own let's play thread so he wouldn't need to save the other ones

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I want to do one of those fake play-throughs where everybody shouts out ridiculous things as potential commands and then I generate images based on them, a'la A Slime Approaches!

Here are my starters.

Dialog will be displayed on the "screen", and I have templates set up for everything from maps to inventory to combat. My intent is to make as much of it in pixel graphics as possible, with as few prompts in the actual posts as I can get away with. Stuff like:

Your goblins enter REMOTE DESERT CAVE and see an OLD MATTRESS on the ground.

Your goblins are suffering from HUNGER.

I don't know if LP is even the right place for that kind of thread, but luckily you guys have this sandcastle thing to run tests in. Very smart.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
>Cast enlarge Goblin spell

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's been a guy whose thing is making a fake pixel game for gbs to give commands for, so if you want hundreds of commands to poo poo/wank on everything and kill everyone you could post it there.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Acne Rain posted:

There's been a guy whose thing is making a fake pixel game for gbs to give commands for, so if you want hundreds of commands to poo poo/wank on everything and kill everyone you could post it there.
and for that very reason I'd like to see one of these in LP

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I don't know if LP is even the right place for that kind of thread, but luckily you guys have this sandcastle thing to run tests in. Very smart.

Can we expect this to be a crossover/sequel to "Adventures of Satan"? If not, I'm going to be highly disappointed.

Also, you'll probably want to post this in GBS. As The Nofriendo Zone is for serious LP work only. Plus this wouldn't pass the 3 month rule, (nobody cares if you're the content creator), people will get mad at you for doing this joke, mostly just because LP. So basically, I'm all for this thread, and support it 100%. Of course, you could always just give the Goblin anime eyes, have it shoot at things coming from the top of the screen, call it a Touhou, and post in the Shooting Gallery, and you'll get high ratings!

All that nonsense aside,

Putty posted:

>Cast enlarge Goblin spell

OOPS! YOU TOUCHED IT!

>Throw Thermal Pod At The House Shaped Like Dog poo poo

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Would Traditional Games be appropriate? Or perhaps the main Game forum instead of Nofriendo? The point is well made that GBS quickly devolves into foaming insanity, and I was kinda hoping to actually play this fake game through to a real ending instead of the usual rage-quit or oops-didn't-save joke. I want to pixelcraft an unreasonably badass Goblin King with some anticipation behind him but I know GBS will never get that far, basically.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Would Traditional Games be appropriate? Or perhaps the main Game forum instead of Nofriendo? The point is well made that GBS quickly devolves into foaming insanity, and I was kinda hoping to actually play this fake game through to a real ending instead of the usual rage-quit or oops-didn't-save joke. I want to pixelcraft an unreasonably badass Goblin King with some anticipation behind him but I know GBS will never get that far, basically.
This is basically a CYOA albeit with a neat gimmick, and Traditional Games is good for those.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Wherever you do end up posting it, please just drop a line here so we can follow it.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

What are you talking about. GBS had Satan go through a TON of stuff, and even ended it with a conflict between Satan and Zordon...I mean God. AND the thread went gold.

Of course, that was back when you could make threads like this, and not get clogged down with "OH HOW UNSOCIAL JUSTICY OF YOU" posts. So your mileage may vary. But it will in LP as well.

I'd suggest just picking a forum, Nofriendo is fine, or GBS if you prefer a larger response, and :justpost:. The worst you will get here is people getting mad and upset over it, which is entertaining in it's own right, and a possible opportunity to turn the thread into a "Let's gently caress With LP: The LP".

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Don't overthink this.

Post it here. If it's really so inappropriate a place, I'm sure it'll get moved on its own. Asking for opinions is just going to lead to 1000 conflicting ones.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Let me just suggest you go with a less obnoxious font. Don't forget that really old games used graphics with double-wide pixels. Here's an example of something both old and easy to read:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

BMS posted:

Plus this wouldn't pass the 3 month rule, (nobody cares if you're the content creator)

It would take a really messed up person to deny themselves permission to LP their own game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:justpost: here. We love fun gimmick CYOAs in LP and we want more of them. Neb777's classic Tie Fighter LP is still well-remembered and paid homage to by shallow imitations. There's a bunch of gimmick LPs still on the active forum that will never die, so you should totally post it here.

BMS posted:

Of course, that was back when you could make threads like this, and not get clogged down with "OH HOW UNSOCIAL JUSTICY OF YOU" posts. So your mileage may vary. But it will in LP as well.

CYOA in GBS still happen and are still accepted and loved. There were sequels to the Satan CYOA.

Nidoking posted:

It would take a really messed up person to deny themselves permission to LP their own game.

The unfortunate part is there are people who do not get jokes and would take BMS's remark at face value and get upset about it.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Sally posted:

The unfortunate part is there are people who do not get jokes and would take BMS's remark at face value and get upset about it.

This guy gets it. 95% of my posts are not meant to be taken at face value, and/or are meant purely to stir things up.

The question is.....is this post part of the 5%? :ohdear:

But yeah, post it man. People will get involved. Although I would take the advice about doubling up on the pixels for the font, because as it is, it's fairly difficult to read with any ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Thanks everyone. I'll spiff the fonts up and start tomorrow morning here in Nofriendo.

• Locked thread