Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Anal Surgery posted:

Yeah, I cranked the sustain up all the way. I layered just a little punch at the beginning but I've been letting the 808 sub kick do most of the work. In my studio headphones it sounds powerful but after exporting to an MP3 to play in the car, it sounds weak as poo poo compared to the others. I think I just really need to focus on mixdown and mastering it a lot better. My old nemesis strikes again!

it'd be a lot easier to help you if you posted the song in question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
drop an eq onto the sub bass kick sound and look where most of the bassy frequencies are - go through your other layers and check them to see if there's an overlap, and if there is drop an eq8 on it and cut a little notch for the bass to sit into. Might also help to use the eq8 on the kick to limit the bassy frequencies to a smaller range so it doesnt take up your entire lower end (funnily enough, you don't want this and it will make it sound less bassy)
you can layer a couple kicks up this way without it sounding muddy, so you've got your normal kick which is mostly mids with some low and then can add onto it this huge booming tail that has plenty of room in the mix to keep going without becoming mush. you'll have bassy frequencies above and below this notch for other sounds/lines to use. Trying to do it all with one sample is pretty difficult, every producer layers multiple kicks.
Give each instrument or sound it's own tightly controlled space to sit into and you'll have a much easier time achieving this sort of stuff - mixing isn't just changing volumes.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 26, 2014

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

d0grent posted:

If anyone's interested I have a series on YouTube called "Watch Me Produce" where I just film myself making a song from start to finish. It's kind of like a let's play for music production. Here's episode 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hnH2BZdSVM

I've watched the first 5 parts of this so far and am really liking seeing another person's workflow with every step explained.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

FadedReality posted:

I've watched the first 5 parts of this so far and am really liking seeing another person's workflow with every step explained.

Thanks man; good to know it's been helpful. I'm actually at the very end of the series and I'll be starting another one where I just do sound design.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Dicky B posted:

Somebody asked me to make one of these, so I made one :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUpF3Pjfv08

This is amazing! Reminds me of one of my favorite electronic artists, Mouse On Mars. What program are you using?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Thanks :xd: It seems people are comparing me to MOM more and more recently, which is no bad thing. The daw I'm using is Renoise

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Dicky B posted:

Thanks :xd: It seems people are comparing me to MOM more and more recently, which is no bad thing. The daw I'm using is Renoise

Yeah I hope you don't take offense to that. I'm actually wondering if you know any other artists that sound like MOM. I've loved them for years, but I haven't really heard much like them.

e: You're music is amazing. Following you on SoundCloud. I'm Paradoxiconduit, but don't have much on there.

LP0 ON FIRE fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 30, 2014

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I think it's hard to recommend music like MOM because their style has been all over the place. I was probably influenced mainly by their work in the late 90s. I would check out anything else from the Sonig label, and maybe Pingipung and Ache Records

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

d0grent posted:

it'd be a lot easier to help you if you posted the song in question

My bad. :)

https://soundcloud.com/gkchestertron/lil-trapper-bruh

So, I wanted to just do a gimmicky Trap-style remix of Little Drummer Boy. After endless tweaking, I figured that my car speakers weren't able to really do stuff below like 60-75 hz. So, I bumped up the key of the sub a little so that it came into cheaper speaker range. Still sounds a little weak but I've been fussing with this track for like 20 hours and that seems like a long time to spend on a gimmick remix. Now that I've gotten a silly one out of my system, I would like to sit down and produce a proper trap track just for the experience.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Dicky B posted:

I think it's hard to recommend music like MOM because their style has been all over the place. I was probably influenced mainly by their work in the late 90s. I would check out anything else from the Sonig label, and maybe Pingipung and Ache Records

Yeah, exactly. Sort of more like Niun Niggung, and stuff around that time. They've been really diverse over the years, and that's great. Thanks for the recommendations!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Anyone know of a good sample pack for whatever the gently caress it's called when like every bar or two there's an enveloped white noise buildup to the kick/clap? Really popular in prog/electro house around 2009-2011.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Just use a reverse clap/snare

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I need a bit of advice on which direction to go in in the immediate future with my music. I've only recently got into making music, in the last 4 months or so. I'd never thought of myself as a very musical person but always enjoyed listening too and discovering new music. But anyway I've been using fl studio to play about and learn the ropes, read Dance Music Manual, etc. and I can see a marked improvement in how I'm working although I'm nowhere near actually producing a full song yet.

To get to the point, my laptop has finally packed in (needed a new one anyway) and I've got some Christmas money with which to a) get a new laptop and b) finally get some hardware. The thing is, I'm not sure whether I want to spend that on some DJ stuff and go that route and then get some production stuff later on, or spend it all on production gear (midi controller, studio monitors, a mic etc.).

If anyone had any advice it'd be much appreciated. I am interested in playing to crowds but I have to admit I prefer the idea of playing my own stuff/using loops and samples live over straight up dj'ing (although that seems awesome too). I'd probably go for a Traktor Kontrol S2 if I went the DJ route, and I was looking at a Novation Launchkey 49 for the production side?

I guess what I'm really asking is if it's 'better' to go the dj route a bit more first as someone new to music production and creation of any kind? Just any advice at all would appreciated. I know this post is a bit of a mess, sorry about that. I'm just nervous about making the wrong decision.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Just wait until the next sale and get Live 9 Suite and Push and never buy anything else.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I would say Push or Maschine.

If you're more into making things from scratch as opposed to from loops you could look into getting an older electribe since the new ones are coming out soon and they'll probably drop in price, or get an old RM1x and experiment with that.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Jakabite posted:

I guess what I'm really asking is if it's 'better' to go the dj route a bit more first as someone new to music production and creation of any kind?

If you're interested in production then focus on that, there isn't really much overlap in terms of skill set with DJing. The main way DJing helps with production that you are hopefully doing a lot of active listening to music, but you don't have to DJ to do that.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I've been using FL Studio, would you say it's worth making the switch to Ableton or is it equally as good to stick with FL. Opinions seem to conflict quite heavily on this.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Play with the 30-day trial and decide for yourself. There's no right answer.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A Winner is Jew posted:

I would say Push or Maschine.

If you're more into making things from scratch as opposed to from loops you could look into getting an older electribe since the new ones are coming out soon and they'll probably drop in price, or get an old RM1x and experiment with that.

I'd agree with this, plus if you get a Maschine there are pretty good Traktor mappings out there so you can use it as a controller for that with little fuss.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Jakabite posted:

I need a bit of advice on which direction to go in in the immediate future with my music. I've only recently got into making music, in the last 4 months or so. I'd never thought of myself as a very musical person but always enjoyed listening too and discovering new music. But anyway I've been using fl studio to play about and learn the ropes, read Dance Music Manual, etc. and I can see a marked improvement in how I'm working although I'm nowhere near actually producing a full song yet.

To get to the point, my laptop has finally packed in (needed a new one anyway) and I've got some Christmas money with which to a) get a new laptop and b) finally get some hardware. The thing is, I'm not sure whether I want to spend that on some DJ stuff and go that route and then get some production stuff later on, or spend it all on production gear (midi controller, studio monitors, a mic etc.).

If anyone had any advice it'd be much appreciated. I am interested in playing to crowds but I have to admit I prefer the idea of playing my own stuff/using loops and samples live over straight up dj'ing (although that seems awesome too). I'd probably go for a Traktor Kontrol S2 if I went the DJ route, and I was looking at a Novation Launchkey 49 for the production side?

I guess what I'm really asking is if it's 'better' to go the dj route a bit more first as someone new to music production and creation of any kind? Just any advice at all would appreciated. I know this post is a bit of a mess, sorry about that. I'm just nervous about making the wrong decision.

Unless you have your heart set on DJing, I would get some nice monitors and a decent midi controller and start with that. I would get something cheap like the launchkey before a push/maschine and see how you work and what you want in terms of hardware.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Jakabite posted:

I've been using FL Studio, would you say it's worth making the switch to Ableton or is it equally as good to stick with FL. Opinions seem to conflict quite heavily on this.

I think it's a pretty objective statement to say that Ableton is more organized and intuitive in it's layout/design. For beginners it's definitely easier to learn in terms of where everything is. Fl studio has a few niche capabilities that Live lacks however. One example is that FL has a device called the "peak controller" which lets you route any knob or fader to be controlled by the volume of any instrument. Another example would be that FL studio has curved automation, except that Ableton has just implemented this within Live in version 9. If you are still new, my personal recommendation would be to move to Ableton. However if you feel quite comfortable in FL studio, there's nothing wrong with sticking to it.

EDIT: If you get the MaxForLive addon for Ableton, my argument about FL's extra capabilities is invalid.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah I'm getting quite comfortable with FL at this point but I'll definitely be trialling Ableton, thanks a lot!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

d0grent posted:

I think it's a pretty objective statement to say that Ableton is more organized and intuitive in it's layout/design.
That's the opposite of an objective statement.

I found Ableton's UI to be quite horrible to learn. I'm not sure I would have begun to figure it out if they hadn't been kind enough to include a built-in tutorial.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
If you leave ableton in arrangement view, it isn't any easier or harder to learn than any other timeline-based daw. the issue is getting your head around session view and how the two interact.

in other news, i can't stop remixing slightly out of date top 40 stuff https://soundcloud.com/selfishdudes/shower-becky-g-selfish-dudes-go-big-and-go-home-bootleg

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Speaking of session view/performance stuff, I'm putting together a template (once again, but I mean it this time) to play out live with some external gear and an APC40, and it's going really well but I've got a pretty simple problem that I'm wondering how to go about solving. Live handles two tracks with about 100 of 'the classic breakbeats' on them, and naturally there are discrepancies in volume levels between a lot of these breaks. The breaks are secondary to my TR8 so I've applied a bit of sidechain compression to let the transients from the TR8 shine through, but there are still some particular breaks I hit that are way too loud. Is aggressive limiting of the breaks appropriate in this context, or will that crush the drum sounds too much for live purposes? I'm assuming it's most effective in this case to apply the limiter to the group of drum tracks rather than one on each break track?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'd just go with individually making the offending ones quieter first instead. Not a Live user, but I see Clip View has a volume slider for samples.

Once you've got everything sounding more or less at the same level, you can still put a limiter on the channel to prevent fuckups in a live situation.

Notice that you'll now probably be limiting (shaving the tops off) the samples that were relatively quieter-sounding before your level adjustments. Assuming all your samples were normalized before, you're now reducing dynamic range of the overly dynamic ones only -which is what a limiter is made for- instead of squashing the life out of the ones that probably were the most compressed ones already as well.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Dicky B posted:

That's the opposite of an objective statement.

I found Ableton's UI to be quite horrible to learn. I'm not sure I would have begun to figure it out if they hadn't been kind enough to include a built-in tutorial.

As opposed to FL's UI? Maybe intuitive is up for debate but I really can't see anyone making the argument that FL is more organized. Besides, any beginner is going to/should use a tutorial to learn the UI of any DAW. They are all very complex programs.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I was easily able to figure out FL, Reaper and Renoise without touching a tutorial. Cubase, Live and to a lesser extent Reason were the ones that made me go "what the gently caress is going on" and reach for the documentation.

My dad managed to grok FL in a matter of hours and the most complex thing he does with a computer is Candy Crush.

For more fun anecdotes you can simply take the text of this post and rearrange all the names of the DAWs. That's is why my answer is always "just try all of them and see which one you like best" :3:

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Dicky B posted:

For more fun anecdotes you can simply take the text of this post and rearrange all the names of the DAWs. That's is why my answer is always "just try all of them and see which one you like best" :3:

This exactly. I clued in on Reason very early because I was a weirdo who liked to plug his guitar into as many weird effects as possible so the rack and cables made perfect sense to me, but the routing in Digital Performer and Live took me a while to grasp. Different things work for different people who think and learn differently.

That said, when I first got into electronic music production, FL Studio was still known as FruityLoops and was considered a toy by most of my friends on the local raver message board. They'd have big arguments over the best DAW at least monthly and poor FL got poo poo on every time.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Just looking for some ideas since my SC pro is about to run out and I'm not going to renew until after new year's. Still not fully comfortable producing, but usually I just put stuff out when I give up and figure someone might want to play it out anyway. Mostly happy with moombah/glitch/disco vibes, so my favorites that I made are these two(which are remixes):

https://soundcloud.com/aeglus/claude-francois-alexandrie
https://soundcloud.com/aeglus/girls

Normally I'd just shelve it and ask for input after I get a better idea, but wanted to make a simple remix and not sure what else to really add to it. Right now it's just a simple formulaic remix to stick in as filler though I guess I wasn't really looking for much more than that. If you guys have any thoughts though, would be cool.

https://soundcloud.com/aeglus/bon-jovi-you-give-love-a-bad-1

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

killhamster posted:

That said, when I first got into electronic music production, FL Studio was still known as FruityLoops and was considered a toy by most of my friends on the local raver message board. They'd have big arguments over the best DAW at least monthly and poor FL got poo poo on every time.
This amuses me because my own non-data-driven completely anecdotal perception is that, since it first came out, FruityLoops and now FL Studio have probably jumpstarted more "careers" (for lack of a better word) in electronic music -- on a pure numbers basis -- in several different genres, before the rise of things like Reason and Live, with the possible exception of ACID. I know I've heard plenty of stories of people starting with FruityLoops and later moving off of it and on to "pro" things like Nuendo (e.g. deadmau5) and the like.

Not to say there weren't popular gateway programs before FruityLoops either. But the fact that ravers on a message board would be hating on it when it probably made or had a hand in making most of the stuff they were listening to...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

minidracula posted:

on to "pro" things like Nuendo (e.g. deadmau5) and the like.

bit overkill for making electronic music that isnt it? I didnt know he'd started scoring films.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

When Cubase and Nuendo were at 3.2, I remember preferring Nuendo as well. I can't remember why. There were some extra features in the mixer maybe, perhaps bus routing was more flexible or something. Or more slots for vst plugins. I really don't remember but that I considered it vital. The programs were pretty much the same otherwise and if you didn't touch any of the video poo poo, you wouldn't even know it was there.

I think it was about something that would be found in Cubase 4 after the great rehaul and that we would now consider trivial, but then Cubase 4 didn't get cracked for a long time. Which, I wouldn't be surprised, could be a factor in how Deadmau5 made his choice as well.

If you're using cracked software, like I'm sure a lot of people starting out were at the time, switching DAWs could depend on a single feature the other one did better. You'd call it going 'pro' because the other DAW would be more widely (legitimately) used in in professional circles and it wouldn't necessarily be an indictment of the software you're abandoning. Seems crazy now, being all grown up and having the disposable income to buy software. Paying for stuff, you tend to appreciate more what you've got and learn to work around minor shortcomings.

And, yeah, somewhere between trackers and Ableton Live there was a period where FL straddled the divide between pattern based and linear sequencing perfectly, which worked very well for electronic music. It had (has) this thing where your loops and licks existed outside of the timeline (like patterns), but you still had a timeline for your songbuilding and your automation lanes. And you could layer patterns, so that unlike most trackers, you wouldn't be copy pasting everything you wanted to reuse into a new pattern all the time. Buzz Tracker admittedly had the same thing, but the UI wasn't as friendly to new users (had to memorize hex numbers for automation, for one) and everything, including using commercial vsts was more than a bit buggy. I'm sure there were some other niche programs that had the same idea; FL just did a good and relatively reliable job with an idea that was sort of revolutionaty.

Live worked out that idea to something that could trigger clips live, which is something fairly essential that was sorely missing a good implementation in FL Studio at the time. Of course FL Studio has grown into adulthood as well since then.

If anything, I think that a lot of the online reputations of DAWs are stuck ten years ago, when every would be producer in his late teens was just giving all this then new stuff a shot and tossing whole lines of promising software out based on not being feature complete to today's standards. The only new argument you see is that a lot of controllers came out aimed at integrating with Live specifically, which is a big thing, admittedly.

Current day FL Studio certainly doesn't deserve the derision it gets.

EDIT: After some googling, Nuendo had indeed more flexible bus routing that allowed you to set up makeshift sidechaining using sends where it wasn't at all possible in Cubase at the time. E2: And possibly would make the New York compression trick (mixing in unaffected signal with a heavily compressed version) a bit easier.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 18, 2014

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I just switched to ableton after using FL 9-10 for a couple years and I love it. I like the flow a lot more and how effects/sends/automation are done, the groove templates are awesome as well. The layout is a little odd at first when you're used to FL but zooming and moving and everything becomes natural. Also warping is super cool.

Here's what I'm working on / just finished:
https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/royal/s-GxlCj
https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/0o2
https://soundcloud.com/swanconnley/mpo

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I haven't produced any tunes in ages, and making mixes is more fun right now so I'm trying to hone that. I know I'm pretty rusty with mixes; this is just for fun at the moment. Strictly amateur for friends parties and bike riding or what have you.

Here's a set I just threw together:
https://soundcloud.com/car1337o/thank-motherfuckin-god-its-motherfuckin-friday

track list:
tydi - good dream [barnes & heatcliff remix]
empire of the sun - we are the people [sam la more remix]
robyn - dancing on my own [buzz junkies remix]
lazerhawk - electric groove [original mix]
markus schulz - without you near [judah radio edit]
deadmau5 - 1981 [sasha carassi remix]
designer drugs - the terror [album mix]
day din - heaven & hell [day din & dj fabio remix]
cosmic gate - exploration of space [cosmic gate's back 2 the future remix]
gabrielle and dresden - tracking treasure down [original mix]
tiesto - urban train [cosmic gate remix]
markus schulz - destino [extended mix]

Any constructive critical feedback is great. PM me(?)
I really want to work on the following:
track to track transitions
track length (ie, does it get too repetitive, or drag on too long before transitioning)
mood (ie does the energy build up to the end of the set; does it stay upbeat throughout the songs, etc.)

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

just uploaded my new jams to the cloud https://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/sets/vestiges

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just finished (sort of) my first ever actual track. It's not very good and needs way more space (I think), but hey it's something and I'm proud of it. I'm thinking for my next little project I'd like to really get to know a more advanced synth. I've been using Harmless, little brother to the more advanced Harmor, both of which come with FL Studio. I'm trying to decide between trying to master Harmor, or going for Massive since that seems to be something of an 'industry standard'? I like the electro-poppy sort of sound if that helps. Any advice would be much appreciated.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Just finished (sort of) my first ever actual track. It's not very good and needs way more space (I think), but hey it's something and I'm proud of it. I'm thinking for my next little project I'd like to really get to know a more advanced synth. I've been using Harmless, little brother to the more advanced Harmor, both of which come with FL Studio. I'm trying to decide between trying to master Harmor, or going for Massive since that seems to be something of an 'industry standard'? I like the electro-poppy sort of sound if that helps. Any advice would be much appreciated.

A link would help pal

edit: to your song I mean. As far as which soft Synth to master, massive is a much better Synth overall than harmor, but you can do lots of cool stuff with harmor so if you're comfortable with that, master that first.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 23, 2014

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oh sorry I wasn't planning on uploading it but hey, maybe I will! I'll do it when I get home. To be honest I'm not very comfortable with Harmor at all. I understand that the resynthesis thing can do some really cool stuff but it's just not very intuitive. I think I'll have to give Massive a demo and see what I think.

While I'm here, can anyone recommend a good filter VST? Fruity Filter is pretty lacking, what with having no envelopes, LFOs etc. I am willing to drop a bit of money but I don't want to do so blindly, or if there are good free filters out there. Frohmage seems to get decent reviews but looks horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Drop is the best filter VST currently, but it is not free.

• Locked thread