Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Gozinbulx posted:

I guess the special xbmc that comes with finless 1.8 really is necessary. I believe its by Oman. Search Oman xbmc amlogic

Gonna put finless on in the morning. Seems its to do with permissions in the stock install of xbmc. You can go into the dev folder and change them but its better to do the finless route as it sorts lots of issues. The M8 itself is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Brain Issues posted:

I'm having a problem that I can't for the life of me figure out with XBMC.

When my library updates TV shows, it doesn't scrape episode information from most shows, or display the thumbnail under recently added episodes.

If I actually click on Recently Added Episodes the new files will be displayed there but with no episode information. Refreshing episode information does not do anything.

The weird thing is that I have two XBMC installs on two different machines and one of them works perfectly. I've tried multiple different versions from 13.1 to Kodi nightlies, I've tried fresh intsalls, I've tried XBMCbuntu, OpenELEC. None of them will behave properly.

This is what it looks like from the home screen.

This is what the recently added episodes list actually looks like

And this is what it looks like on the installation that is working properly. As you can see all episodes have had the correct titles scraped and are added to the home screen recently added episodes.

I'm at my wits end here. Anyone know what is going on, why would two installs of the same version, loading files from the same library be behaving so differently?

Nobody has any ideas on what could be the problem here?

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

Brain Issues posted:

Is there anything in the logs? I had a similar issue once with a bad file that was causing one of my Openelec installs to abort during library updates, but the on another box the file was properly scanned and thus was never attempted to be re-processed after it had been corrupted. It was pretty obvious once I took a peek at the logs, though. Since then I've moved to a shared MySQL library database, so only one of the machines even does library updates anymore.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Brain Issues posted:

When you configured the source, did you set it's content to TV and make sure it is set to scrape, etc? That's what got me last time.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Puweyxil posted:

Is there anything in the logs? I had a similar issue once with a bad file that was causing one of my Openelec installs to abort during library updates, but the on another box the file was properly scanned and thus was never attempted to be re-processed after it had been corrupted. It was pretty obvious once I took a peek at the logs, though. Since then I've moved to a shared MySQL library database, so only one of the machines even does library updates anymore.

I got the log, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly.

Log is here -- http://goo.gl/i7Q5nM

Nothing sticks out like a sore thumb to me but I'm new to this. Do you see anything that could cause my issue?

Lowen SoDium posted:

When you configured the source, did you set it's content to TV and make sure it is set to scrape, etc? That's what got me last time.

Yeah, movies are set to scrape with The Movie DB and TV shows are set to scrape with TVDB.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I've been running an AppleTV as my media box forever, but I recently picked up a Fire TV stick with the intention of loving around with XBMC. I'm particularly interested in the PseudoTV add on.

I've never used XBMC (or any android device) before, and getting into it is a little daunting, as it seems like all the wiki posts and FAQs assume some familiarity with it already.

Will I be able to install XBMC directly from some Google store, or is it something I'll have to download separately and load via USB or something? Does my device need to be rooted for that?

And once I have it loaded, do I need to do all the configuration with the little Amazon remote? Or is it a case of me being able to load and config XBMC on my Mac, and then just export that configuration to the Fire stick? Also, all my media isn't on a NAS, but rather it's on a hard drive that's connected to that Mac. Will the stick even be able to see this hard drive?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

OldSenileGuy posted:

I've been running an AppleTV as my media box forever, but I recently picked up a Fire TV stick with the intention of loving around with XBMC. I'm particularly interested in the PseudoTV add on.

I've never used XBMC (or any android device) before, and getting into it is a little daunting, as it seems like all the wiki posts and FAQs assume some familiarity with it already.

Will I be able to install XBMC directly from some Google store, or is it something I'll have to download separately and load via USB or something? Does my device need to be rooted for that?

And once I have it loaded, do I need to do all the configuration with the little Amazon remote? Or is it a case of me being able to load and config XBMC on my Mac, and then just export that configuration to the Fire stick? Also, all my media isn't on a NAS, but rather it's on a hard drive that's connected to that Mac. Will the stick even be able to see this hard drive?

XBMC/KODI is not on the Google Play Store (yet), but that doesn't matter because the play store is not on the Amazon Fire TV Stick.

It's not on the Amazon store either, but don't let that stop you. It is very easy to get on there and you don't have to Root or anything like that.

From the Fire TV Home screen, select Settings
Go to System -> Developer Options
Enable both the ADB Debugging and the Apps from Unknown Sources options.
Go to System -> About -> Network, and take note of the Fire TV's IP address

If you have a Windows machine, go get this tool http://goo.gl/lUNWaT
Configure it with the IP address you got above
Go download the official XBMC release from their home page and use that tool to push it to the Fire Stick

If you don't have a a Windows machine, you are going to have to go get the ADB Utility for OSX and install the file manually. More on that here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Amazon_Fire_TV

Anything beyond that is optional, like using Llama to auto launch XBMC or what ever.

You can configure it using the Fire Stick remote, or you can write an XML file and push it to the Fire Stick (probably easier to just use the remote).

You should be able to see the files on the external hard drive if you have them shared on the network some how. XBMC can read from most kinds of networks shares.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ummm, Nexus player ? Is this thing any good ? Its cheaper than my android box

Edit: meh, just ordered two of them. I'll give them a flogging and report back. If they are nice I might put the m8's up for sale locally.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 18, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

jonathan posted:

Edit: meh, just ordered two of them. I'll give them a flogging and report back. If they are nice I might put the m8's up for sale locally.

It is a great product with limited apps right now. You can easily sideload though without any hacking. Once its registered to your google account you can install apps on the play store that dont show up on the devices app store (like es explorer and sideload launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb)

ES Explorer lets you network browse into your device and you can copy over xbmc apk for example, or retroarch or just about anything.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

jonathan posted:

Hey dude how much you want for one of those m8's?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

visuvius posted:

Hey dude how much you want for one of those m8's?

Well I got them for around $100 shipped, but locally they go for $300 after installing navi-x and 1channel etc on xbmc. I might sell them for cheap just to gently caress over the guys doing 300% markups.

I did the same thing with LED light bars awhile back to gently caress with the crooked 4x4 shops charging Rigid prices for Hong Kong knockoffs.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Don Lapre posted:

It is a great product with limited apps right now. You can easily sideload though without any hacking. Once its registered to your google account you can install apps on the play store that dont show up on the devices app store (like es explorer and sideload launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb)

ES Explorer lets you network browse into your device and you can copy over xbmc apk for example, or retroarch or just about anything.

Thanks! I use es explorer to grab music from my nas onto my phone while I sleep. If only there was a version for Chromebook.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

jonathan posted:

LED light bars awhile back to gently caress with the crooked 4x4 shops charging Rigid prices for Hong Kong knockoffs.

One day all of a sudden every lifted truck in town had one of these arrays on their roof.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What benefit does the nexus offer over the M8?? You can event get the android TV launcher for your m8 if your so inclined.

No hacking or "sideloading" needed either

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gozinbulx posted:

What benefit does the nexus offer over the M8?? You can event get the android TV launcher for your m8 if your so inclined.

Link? Ive seen an ouya port which doesn't exactly work well but thats it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
XBMC/Kodi teasing something for xmas:

https://twitter.com/XBMC/status/545934718412554240

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If its simply Kodi final im gonna yawn

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Anything good in the change log for kodi vs xbmc besides the name change? specifically for PC.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
h265 and VP9 support
Library/UPnP improvements
DXVA performance improvements
ATSC sub-channel support for PVR

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I mostly hope it stops crashing on startup every now and again!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sagacity posted:

I mostly hope it stops crashing on startup every now and again!

This never happens on my pc or adt1

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Don Lapre posted:

Same here. I haven't seen a crash on anything except my ATV2 in a LONG time.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How are they going to handle upgrades for end users? Will it be a fresh install with a tool to migrate settings and poo poo? Will they rename the directory if doing an inplace upgrade? Whats going on peoples?!

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

r0ck0 posted:

How are they going to handle upgrades for end users? Will it be a fresh install with a tool to migrate settings and poo poo? Will they rename the directory if doing an inplace upgrade? Whats going on peoples?!

From their notes on the release candidate:

quote:

A Few Warnings and Notices

This release marks the switch to the new name Kodi. When you install this release candidate, your library and add-ons will be moved to Kodi, making reverting back to 13.2 fairly difficult. As such, it is recommended that you back up your library as well as your settings before installing Kodi.

Also, as Kodi is an unsigned application on OSX, you may need to go through a slightly different process to start it the first time. After you have copied Kodi to the Applications folder, you will need to “right click” or “two finger click” Kodi from within the Applications folder and select “Open” and then accept the warning. You should only need to do this the first time you run Kodi.

There are links to back up your library and settings within there as well.

Here is a link to the page: http://kodi.tv/kodi-14-0-helix-release-candidate-3/

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Yes, the installer makes a new directory, backs up your data and "converts" the library and settings to KODI. All the add-ons are there but I noticed I had to redo my advancedsetings.xml file.

Also if you are on Windows you have to redo shortcuts because xbmc.exe no longer exists.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Gozinbulx posted:

Goz can you possibly link me to the M8 box you would recommend right now? The PC I'm using for XBMC is drawing way too much power and I'd like to switch over to a small android box finally.

Is it this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/M8-Amlogic-...s=m8+android+tv

There are like two or three others on Amazon.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Don Lapre posted:

It seems related to loading the recently watched movie thumbnails, because I do see the library scan progress indicator already running.

I'll just wait and see if version 14 has the same issue and, if so, do some debugging.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

visuvius posted:

Goz can you possibly link me to the M8 box you would recommend right now? The PC I'm using for XBMC is drawing way too much power and I'd like to switch over to a small android box finally.

Is it this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/M8-Amlogic-...s=m8+android+tv

There are like two or three others on Amazon.

Pretty much this. Works fine, no issues with mine. Im giving mone away as an xmas present so as long as it works smooth for them I may swap my PC out as a file server and get another one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Kodi is out.

http://kodi.tv/kodi-14-0-helix-unwinds/

quote:

On the output side, work continues, slowly but surely, on UPnP. Kodi is now significantly more compatible with servers like PlayOn and MediaBrowser, as client-related bugs have been dealt with. Further, communication between Kodi UPnP clients and Kodi UPnP servers continues to improve with proper or additional support for categories like date added, ratings, votes, and artwork, along with sorting for those new categories. UPnP search functions are also slowly working their way into Kodi.

Hooray!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Crap, that means I have to revise the OP. That'll have to wait till at least after christmas, but I have the week off after that so maybe I can knock it out.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Any compelling reason to upgrade from Gotham?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ugh, and I literally last night got XBMC setup again with a shared library and all that jazz.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
uPnP library sharing between Kodi devices is not complete yet, is it?

edit: Just tested it and uPnP still doesn't function the say that SQL library sharing does. Maybe next version.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 23, 2014

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

UPNP works okay, watched status sync and all that. Only real downer is you still can't actually add them to your library, file view only.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Just updated to kodi release. Getting a stupid error about no PVR clients when trying to play a new movie, any movie or TV show that I have previously watched plays fine. What gives?

edit: appears to be a problem with the ACE skin, doesn't happen with the default confluence skin.

from the log:

16:42:46 T:2084 ERROR: unable to load:c:\Users\r0ck0\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\skin.ace\720p\MyPVRTimers.xml, Line 0
Failed to open file

It only errors when I try and select a movie from the recently added window. If I go to the library list it plays fine.

edit2: fixed by using a new skin, lovely open source software.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 25, 2014

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hm there is a hotkey on the bottom row of the keyboard that usually brought up that error for me when I ran XBMC - I used to hit it on purpose because it would resync the framerate to my receiver if something brought it out of fullscreen. I wonder if playing it is triggering that to happen as well...

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Just picked up the M8 Amlogic S802 box. Can someone please link me to the rom I should put on this thing? I'm having trouble finding it on freaktab. Gozinbux mentioned Finless 1.8 but I don't see that.

The process is basically, restore to wipe what's on there, throw the rom apk on a USB and manually install it?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

visuvius posted:

Just picked up the M8 Amlogic S802 box. Can someone please link me to the rom I should put on this thing? I'm having trouble finding it on freaktab. Gozinbux mentioned Finless 1.8 but I don't see that.

The process is basically, restore to wipe what's on there, throw the rom apk on a USB and manually install it?

Yeah wondering the same thing, I can't find the rom he mentioned awhile ago. I'll keep looking.

Is yours a black box that just says M8 and on the bottom under model, does it say "M8N"? There are a hundred different devices all based on the same chipset and I am having a hard time telling what rom to apply.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 26, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Honestly my m8 with the shipped ROM worked awesome. I did a factory reset which deleted xbmc and a bunch of poo poo, then reinstalled xbmc and set it up how I like it.

It was rock solid and fast. The finless ROM just changed the interface some but it doesn't seem to work with Kodi.

Like, the big menu item won't link to Kofi.

Oh the fact that his ROM reports the hardware as "Xoom" to google play store is a huge benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

r0ck0 posted:

Just updated to kodi release. Getting a stupid error about no PVR clients when trying to play a new movie, any movie or TV show that I have previously watched plays fine. What gives?

The same thing happened to me using Aeon MQ5, also "fixed" by using a new skin.

These things happen with any new release really.