Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Raffles posted:

i don't think cm punk will do well at the sport of mixed martial arts

tbh he has enough money, contacts and free time that he can train intensely for six months with a good-quality team and be good enough to beat a hand-picked opponent who's basically a tomato can but not so much that it's obvious to people who don't watch MMA regularly. afterwards Chael Sonnen will come in the octagon, give him his purple belt, and they'll do a pose together and go to a strip club

if that isn't doing well, I don't know what is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I think Phil will work very hard and train his rear end off as long as the 'Hawks aren't playing and may even look competent in his UFC debut as long he sticks to the ground game because his stand up is going to be complete dogshit.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
i genuinely don't think he can do a full training camp without injury

he's broken down and mma is grueling

cams
Mar 28, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbh he has enough money, contacts and free time that he can train intensely for six months with a good-quality team and be good enough to beat a hand-picked opponent who's basically a tomato can but not so much that it's obvious to people who don't watch MMA regularly. afterwards Chael Sonnen will come in the octagon, give him his purple belt, and they'll do a pose together and go to a strip club

if that isn't doing well, I don't know what is
On the recent podcast with Colt Cabana, he mentioned several times that since he left WWE, he's pretty much been doing nothing but having fun, relaxing, and training as much as he possibly can.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Why do people use the term "Tomato can" to refer to people who are bad at fighting?

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Greetings mma posters. Why would nick Diaz be a good match for punk. Thank you

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Why do people use the term "Tomato can" to refer to people who are bad at fighting?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_can_%28sports_idiom%29

NickRoweFillea posted:

Greetings mma posters. Why would nick Diaz be a good match for punk. Thank you

nick diaz is stockton personified, hilarious, and would box the living poo poo out of punk and make his face look even more retarded all the while talking poo poo about him in the cage and capping it off with a stockton slap to a chorus of 209 bitch 209

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

you hit them and red stuff comes out. thats it.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Meat Recital posted:

you hit them and red stuff comes out. thats it.

lol

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
People usually just say "can" nowadays.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I've been watching fights for five years and never thought about the origins of the word 'can'. The more you know...

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
I think its really cool the UFC announced universal Reebok uniforms for a more professional look the same week they signed 0-0 professional actor Chick Magnet

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

:chanpop:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Nice macro.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

tbh he has enough money, contacts and free time that he can train intensely for six months

I know just what CM Punk needs

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Dexters Secret posted:

Punk is an incredibly driven individual and I think he has a decent chance of defeating another UFC rookie. But even if he doesn't, it's not gonna be a big deal, other than his next fight won't be as much of a draw. He's doing this for fun anyway, and is a writer for Marvel now.

I think all the remarks that Punk is gonna get literally murdered is comin' from people that are just upset deep down that this nigh-clenches the fact he's never returning to the WWE.

Most UFC rookies have extensive ametuer and semi-pro records unless they were super elite in another combat sport like wrestling or BJJ.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Yuriy posted:

i genuinely don't think he can do a full training camp without injury

he's broken down and mma is grueling

Batista was worse off when he started and he passed.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Hhhduqkmhn
anxiety is wowiow a young age and up the stairs

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

This just makes me mad that we didn't get enough Punk-Bryan matches.

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
I'm enjoying that guy who is impotently posting 3 pages worth of content bitching about the news.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
I'm 100% in Punk's corner when it came to him leaving WWE given how shady the company is, but personally I think he's a huge dickhead. So what I'm saying is either way this is a win for me

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

punk owns even if he'll probably lose

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Most UFC rookies have extensive ametuer and semi-pro records unless they were super elite in another combat sport like wrestling or BJJ.

I think this is what is making me not have any faith in Punk being anything but a name draw. In wrestling there are lots of dudes getting plucked from nothing to enter the bottom level/training stuff and work out, but in UFC even the rando dudes who make even the super fans go 'who?' have a strong background in some level of 'he beat up people pretty good'. Punk is literally coming from 'some experience' and a sport where the entire point is to make things LOOK bad but be safe to a thing where had injury is a goal. Even if he wasn't getting broken down I'd not have high hopes for him, but coming off so many head injuries and other things he's just gonna get fed nothing or someone who legitimately is a title contender in whatever his weight class is is going to beat the poo poo out of him.

Like, to be clear I don't think he's going to enter the ring and someone's just gonna punch his loving jaw off, but I don't think he's going to get very far unless White's goal is to just put "AND CM PUNK" on the posters as much as he can.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Well considering that outside of Anderson Silva no UFC fighter has even close to half of Punk's twitter followers he is completely just signed to be "and featuring CM Punk"

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

punk owns even if he'll probably lose

Yeah. He's never gonna be a champ and he's gonna make some money and fight some fights and do something he's wanted to do. :cool: in my book.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Anyone rooting for Punk to lose is going to have a while to wait, because he's going to be matched up with 0-0 scrubs by a promotion that has every incentive to see him win. Unlike most 0-0 guys Punk has the time and money to train full time with a full range of top-flight coaches, which means that even given the handicaps of age, pro-wrestling-induced wear-and-tear, and (presumably) lack of PEDs, he's going to have an enormous advantage over the first (at bare minimum) two or three opponents he faces, and that's going to take us through the first year or two of his fight career.

He's never going to be a champion or even (probably) in the top 30 of whatever division he's in, but he'll pop some buyrates beating up scrubs, fight one or two bad-but-recognizable-names, and then retire with a fatter wallet and quite possibly a commentary or Fox analysis job.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think this is what is making me not have any faith in Punk being anything but a name draw. In wrestling there are lots of dudes getting plucked from nothing to enter the bottom level/training stuff and work out, but in UFC even the rando dudes who make even the super fans go 'who?' have a strong background in some level of 'he beat up people pretty good'. Punk is literally coming from 'some experience' and a sport where the entire point is to make things LOOK bad but be safe to a thing where had injury is a goal. Even if he wasn't getting broken down I'd not have high hopes for him, but coming off so many head injuries and other things he's just gonna get fed nothing or someone who legitimately is a title contender in whatever his weight class is is going to beat the poo poo out of him.

Like, to be clear I don't think he's going to enter the ring and someone's just gonna punch his loving jaw off, but I don't think he's going to get very far unless White's goal is to just put "AND CM PUNK" on the posters as much as he can.

considering brock lesnar's debut drew ridiculously large numbers despite him having not been in a WWE ring for three years, having the charisma of a bag of apples, and being booed out of his final match, I don't think Dana White will really give a poo poo as long as they can promote having a guy who got 1m+ views for a two-hour podcast doing Ryback impressions and bitching about how he didn't like his job

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
CM Punk's first fight is gonna do big business don't worry about that

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Brock Lesnar was incredibly charismatic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Brock Lesnar was incredibly charismatic.
brock lesnar is charismatic until he opens his mouth

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Have you never heard the coors light speech

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Have you never heard the coors light speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_JNTCNH2k

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Anyone rooting for Punk to lose is going to have a while to wait, because he's going to be matched up with 0-0 scrubs by a promotion that has every incentive to see him win. Unlike most 0-0 guys Punk has the time and money to train full time with a full range of top-flight coaches, which means that even given the handicaps of age, pro-wrestling-induced wear-and-tear, and (presumably) lack of PEDs, he's going to have an enormous advantage over the first (at bare minimum) two or three opponents he faces, and that's going to take us through the first year or two of his fight career.

He's never going to be a champion or even (probably) in the top 30 of whatever division he's in, but he'll pop some buyrates beating up scrubs, fight one or two bad-but-recognizable-names, and then retire with a fatter wallet and quite possibly a commentary or Fox analysis job.

Not only this but Punk has an advantage in that performing on a big stage in some capacity is second nature to him. The 0-0 fresh faces they pluck out of some fight gym with amateur experience fighting in front of their parents will be overwhelmed by the lights, media, action.

They will make this work... for a while at least. Everyone involved is a professional.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

considering brock lesnar's debut drew ridiculously large numbers despite him having not been in a WWE ring for three years, having the charisma of a bag of apples, and being booed out of his final match, I don't think Dana White will really give a poo poo as long as they can promote having a guy who got 1m+ views for a two-hour podcast doing Ryback impressions and bitching about how he didn't like his job

I don't think anyone's doubting that any match with Punk in it is going to sell like hotcakes. I just think it's a little lovely that after spending how many years bitching about being a commodity he's signing on to literally just be a name on a poster.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Brock Lesnar is a human moose. I don't care who you are, if you hear that a human moose is gonna get in a ring and punch a dude you're gonna want to see it.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
brock and gsp tapped into that incredible lucrative white supremacist demographic in a way that few other people really can

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sadly we'll never see another Lesnar level marketing strategy.

"Hey you gonna buy the UFC fight coming up?"

"Uh, yea, the shaved bear that walks among us as a man is gonna be in it."

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

brock and gsp tapped into that incredible lucrative white supremacist demographic in a way that few other people really can

Actually according to mma.tv racists were very disappointed in Brock for marrying Sable (used to gently caress a half-black) and training with Pat Barry

Also I assume that white supremacists hate the french and therefore didn't like GSP, but that's purely speculation on my part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Marc Mero was half black?

• Locked thread