Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yo here's the TVIV poll peeps were askin for link ok peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The characters in 'Mom' are now on their 5th house of the season. Guess they want to get their money's worth out of the team that builds sets for them.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Rarity posted:

If we're talking creepy relationships nothing beats Aria and Ezra on Pretty Little Liars.

The best thing the show did was make Ezra an actual overt "he really is a creepy stalker" bad guy for like half a season.

The worst thing was handwaving it almost entirely the following season within like five episodes so that Aria and Ezra could still be "true love".

(Handwaving guys being terrible creeper assholes just because girls are in love with them seems to be a running theme of this show.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Also pedophilia.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

hcreight posted:

Also pedophilia.

:ughh:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

choosing between Boardwalk Empire or Downton Abbey, looking for some help.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Both series are an absolute slog.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Boardwalk Empire has Michael Shannon as the world's most constipated man

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Mu Zeta posted:

Boardwalk Empire has Michael Shannon as the world's most constipated man
During the first season it's fun to imagine him as a malfunctioning prohibition robot. He's one of the best characters through the whole run of the show but he's never quite as fascinating as he is in those first two years where he's repressing so many things at once.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

blue squares posted:

choosing between Boardwalk Empire or Downton Abbey, looking for some help.

Well, Boardwalk Empire is a bowl full of your favourite ice cream, and Downton Abbey is a bowel full of your favourite ice cream.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Haha perhaps neither then?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Boardwalk Empire has plenty of problems but it's still worth watching. The production values are incredible and almost all the acting is good except for Paz de la Huerta in season 1.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Boardwalk Empire is one of the best shows of the last few years.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
except for most of the second and third season, maybe which is half of of the show.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Actually those were really great too.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rocksicles posted:

except for most of the second and third season, maybe which is half of of the show.

And the first and the last.

There's a reason it's final season was shuffled off unceremoniously. Even the creator got bored of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seasons 2/3 of BE were the best ones. I'm surprised to learn some disagree.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

To be fair I suspect I'm kind of an outside case too. I liked the show enough to watch it, but forgot about it between seasons. It certainly didn't feel like it was at the same quality of other HBO shows to me. Basically, it just never fully clicked. I thought Nicky was kind of a dull main character and the timeskip meant we missed most of the payoff.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Bown posted:

Agreed. I thought Season 1 and 4 were just "good", but 2 and 3 were great.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Manos del Sino posted:

Agreed. I thought Season 1 and 4 were just "good", but 2 and 3 were great.
I'd probably vote for seasons 1 and 3 as phenomenal, 2 and 4 as great and 5 as the ending to the series that you could probably watch if you had some free time.

EDIT: I swear when I wrote this post I didn't consciously realize that seasons 1 and 3 have the most Arnold Rothstein in them.

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 7, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for the discussion. I'll give B.E. a shot even though I found the pilot a little slow. But I try not to judge shows until I've seen a few eps.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Boardwalk Empire is a really, really good show that more than any other HBO show that aired alongside it understood that it worked in seasons so it changed its storytelling to have season-long arcs with payoff in the penultimate/finale episodes

So you look back on a season and realize that everything about each season that happened was part of a cohesive whole that pulled, as one, to its finale which always paid off its setup

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah BE is a really slow show, it's just that it does it on purpose as part of its storytelling rather than just kind of spinning its wheels waiting for something to happen like most boring/slow shows tend to do. I found each season super interesting, but I can kind of see the criticism from people who simply got bored and couldn't keep watching. Like Toxx said though the season finales/penultimate episodes are really worth it, and being able to binge through episodes should help with the whole "Nothing happened this week except some people calmly talked to each other" thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else going to watch The Librarians tonight? I've never really cared about the dtv movies but this does have some Leverage pedigree.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

Anyone else going to watch The Librarians tonight? I've never really cared about the dtv movies but this does have some Leverage pedigree.

I'm going to watch it at some point, it looked ok and we're slowing down into the winter tv wasteland.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

VDay posted:

Yeah BE is a really slow show, it's just that it does it on purpose as part of its storytelling rather than just kind of spinning its wheels waiting for something to happen like most boring/slow shows tend to do. I found each season super interesting, but I can kind of see the criticism from people who simply got bored and couldn't keep watching. Like Toxx said though the season finales/penultimate episodes are really worth it, and being able to binge through episodes should help with the whole "Nothing happened this week except some people calmly talked to each other" thing.
I feel the same about BE. The way the seasons are structured was really interesting, at least more than other shows. I mean, yes, the show did occasionally call back to previous years but each year almost felt entirely self-contained, like you were reading a book in a series. I honestly don't think BE ever really had any like CLIFFHANGER FINALE moments, or where the last 5 minutes becomes setup for next year's arcs with characters doing a thing or bumping into a person or something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The 2nd season of The Transporter started up on TNT, so I'll probably spend the winter catching up on that and The Librarians.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

The 2nd season of The Transporter started up on TNT, so I'll probably spend the winter catching up on that and The Librarians.

Like the Jason Statham movies The Transporter?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Transporter is not very good, redeemed only by its (mostly tepid) action sequences. Season 2 is a slight improvement due in part to a much better female lead, but still only worth watching if you have nothing better to watch. Some episodes have sufficient action to be diverting, others are painfully boring.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't forget that tonight is the Discovery special where the guy gets eaten alive by the snake.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Like the Jason Statham movies The Transporter?

Yes, but without Jason Statham and really lovely and poorly acted.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this? posted:

Don't forget that tonight is the Discovery special where the guy gets eaten alive by the snake.

Oh right, that thing. I'll certainly fast forward through most of that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Yes, but without Jason Statham and really lovely and poorly acted.

So just without Jason Statham then.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Even with these exciting finales functioning well as a seasonal apex unloading plot and theme with great catharsis, Boardwalk Empire is stylistically just a slow and ambient period drama. It's not rushing anywhere like say Breaking Bad, it's a different type of greatness. It's more similar to something like Mad Men or The Sopranos as this casual stroll where you basically need to be willing to walk alongside and smell the roses, focusing on where you are without worry where you're going. Those times when it gets crazy it does get really crazy, but for the most part it's about the journey and detours. One of my favorite aspects is how it often it touches rarely explored viewpoints of the era that have large bearing on the story and characters, but would and have been overlooked in more traditional takes on prohibition.

The initial question how other realms of society effected (or were affected by) prohibition allows for introducing so many import areas: the war and post-war institutions, the women's rights movement, the life of immigrants, the negro communities, importance of The Chruch and religion, etc. And back to the "main" story beat, it also goes beyond that struggle between gangsters and prohibition officers. We delve from existing political-oriented crime structure into a changing from the old guard to the new--gangs getting stronger, more violent, and branching out both geographically and into "new" ventures like the heroin trade. Erstwhile, on the law's side, we start with this clear struggle to enforce a law they're massively under-equipped to handle before jumping behind the scenes to the corrupt policy makers lining their pockets compared to some of the "true believers" in the justice department as they struggle to convict (and get promoted).

With less insight than those huge areas but still with important, interesting angles there are a number of smaller detours too. We get the IRA, the FBI (when it was just the BI), hospitals and mental institutions, brothels and working girls, sexual identity, and there's even some insight into show-business of the era, with everyone's favorite: Eddie loving Cantor.

It's a broad, wonderful period drama that covers a lot of ground, so naturally it's pretty drat rough to jump into. No doubt about it, it's pretty slow and honestly it comes off even slower that first time around. Not very easy to binge either so that can make it seem less appealing than alternatives you might be wanting to catch up with. It's one of those shows like The Wire where it's so much better on your second run through when the plot beats are no longer at the front of your mind and you already understand the character motivations enough that the nuance clicks and you can just... breathe it all in.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hope that everyone who enjoys watching and/or reading about awful television is suitably excited for The Newsroom tonight:
https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/541447311239286784
https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/541741429924433920

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GraPar posted:

Hope that everyone who enjoys watching and/or reading about awful television is suitably excited for The Newsroom tonight:
https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/541447311239286784
https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/541741429924433920

oh god

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:stare:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

It's going to be about a white man killing a black man isn't it?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's a lot of anti-hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

It's going to be about a white man killing a black man isn't it?

According to one of the linked tweets, it's about campus rape.

• Locked thread