Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BlackIronHeart posted:

If I had to choose, I'd put the narrative above winning but if I can have my cake and eat it too, I'd like to win with a 'narrative correct' army, if that makes sense. My Ork horde in this campaign is supposed to be very Goff heavy so I use big mobs of boyz and walkers with little in the way of other vehicles. That said, I do own quite a few Trukks, a handful of Battlewagons and flyers so I've begun slowly introducing them into the campaign as Eldar are hard to catch. My opponent likes to only use painted minis and that hampers his army selection some but most of our narrative comes from the locations we're fighting in, not our army lists.

I'm really contemplating putting a PDF together for the campaign setting and special rules and this thread is only pushing me harder.

Yeah I have a similar attitude. I like to play and I like to win but to still use armies that use interesting and fluffy units. For example, If I play with my death guard I'll put the mark of Nurgle on anything that can have it and try and keep my unit sizes to factors of seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

easiest terminators I ever assembled

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Putting together the Tyranids half of the Deathstorm boxset. Holy crap painting these is going to be so weird compared to space marines.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Cataphract posted:

Yeah I have a similar attitude. I like to play and I like to win but to still use armies that use interesting and fluffy units. For example, If I play with my death guard I'll put the mark of Nurgle on anything that can have it and try and keep my unit sizes to factors of seven.

I like the cut of your jib. That's how I did my Nurgle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait didn't we havea 40k house rules thread, I seem to remember that existing.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
no it was a thread full of nerds petulant about 7th edition convinced they could make a better game than GW and it unsurprisingly lost steam after like 3 weeks

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
nah there's still a group of dudes having fun making some house rules to improve 7th, they just don't use that thread for it anymore

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

no it was a thread full of nerds petulant about 7th edition convinced they could make a better game than GW and it unsurprisingly lost steam after like 3 weeks

also lol

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I think most of us could make a better game than gw. Problem is that there's no point in making house rules if you ever play in public. No tournament will ever use them and nobody is going to want to do a pickup game at a FLGS with custom rules.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Master Twig posted:

I think most of us THINK WE could make a better game than gw.

Fixed that for you.

Most people don't realize how actually terribly difficult it is to make a game of this scale. I know I certainly couldn't, from the ground up, design a better game on my own that rivals 40k.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

As far as that thread goes with the people butt hurt over 7th edition and going to make a better version... Design by committee NEVER works well.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had a super fun game that included a walking tyrant with a venom cannon, hormagaunts, a sporecyst, and a unit of genestealers. I am the anti-gamer.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

Fixed that for you.

Most people don't realize how actually terribly difficult it is to make a game of this scale. I know I certainly couldn't, from the ground up, design a better game on my own that rivals 40k.

As far as that thread goes with the people butt hurt over 7th edition and going to make a better version... Design by committee NEVER works well.

I should rephrase. If given the resources of GW, I bet we could. You do need to have a committee to make it work, or else it becomes self serving (if I tried on my own, guaranteed I'd subconsciously make Tyranids overpowered.)

To make a game of this scale work it takes a lot of playtesting and communication and player involvement. With all the resources GW has, there's no excuse for the game to be as unbalanced as it is and I honestly believe I could do better if in their position.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Bolter Action would be cool and if you start with incremental changes from existing Bolt Action rules it would probably not be too hard for a single person or like a 2-man team to work on it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

Bolter Action would be cool and if you start with incremental changes from existing Bolt Action rules it would probably not be too hard for a single person or like a 2-man team to work on it.

I've already started work on it with a couple of nice people, alongside my entirely separate wholesale 40k rules project. It's like some kind of addiction.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Master Twig posted:

I should rephrase. If given the resources of GW, I bet we could. You do need to have a committee to make it work, or else it becomes self serving (if I tried on my own, guaranteed I'd subconsciously make Tyranids overpowered.)

To make a game of this scale work it takes a lot of playtesting and communication and player involvement. With all the resources GW has, there's no excuse for the game to be as unbalanced as it is and I honestly believe I could do better if in their position.

I think you would be better off with 2 to 3 designers rather than a committee. Every time I have seen someone try to organize something to make everyone happy - you end up flailing and failing, and wind up with no one happy. This is why you have positions such as "Lead Designer". People bring ideas forward and the lead designer has final say.

I'm actually referring to the CORE rules as opposed to adding things like the various armies. I think each of those could be designed separately but with oversight. Again, from the lead designer...

I agree GW, with their resources, SHOULD have a better and more balanced game. (Regardless of difficulty). However, I strongly believe that it is a LOT more difficult than most critics give it credit for. If it was that easy, every gamer who is a "wannabe" game designer would have an incredibly successful Kickstarter out there.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Ghost Hand posted:

I agree GW, with their resources, SHOULD have a better and more balanced game. (Regardless of difficulty). However, I strongly believe that it is a LOT more difficult than most critics give it credit for. If it was that easy, every gamer who is a "wannabe" game designer would have an incredibly successful Kickstarter out there.

Yeah, very much agreed. It is actually REALLY hard to make a game interesting, balanced, and simple enough to be playable; anyone who's ever read through a fandex can probably attest to how awful most results end up being.

That being said, however, GW does a pretty terrible job of it as well. Given that their designers have years- or decades- of experience with the system from an internal perspective, there's no excuse for the sort of rules they regularly crank out (e.g. Wave Serpents, Firebase Cadre, Transcendent C'tan, etc.) The fact that they seem to be actively opposed to getting any kind of input from a source outside their hand-picked playgroup of casual gamers certainly can't be helping things any at all.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Master Twig posted:

I should rephrase. If given the resources of GW, I bet we could.

I'm not so sure. Many have tried, and I don't know of any who have succeeded. The Mantic games are solid, but too simplistic. WMH is good, but falls apart at larger scales. Spartan games are even more random. DSC is supposed to have some pretty big balance issues and a lot of trap units.

Look over at the roleplaying side of the industry and none of the big companies do particularly good jobs. Look at the 5Es of D&D and SR for just the two most recent examples.

Making a good game is hard. Board game companies have the most success, but board games are closed systems with a lot less variables, and you still end up with stuff like AH more often than not.

MTG may be the one truly well made big name "trad" game, and it has a ton of resources behind it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ghost Hand posted:

Agreed. That thread was a train wreck from the moment it started. Design by committee doesn't work, but you *do* need people to playtest what gets designed.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

I think most of us could make a better game than gw. Problem is that there's no point in making house rules if you ever play in public. No tournament will ever use them and nobody is going to want to do a pickup game at a FLGS with custom rules.

As someone who designs and runs day long mega-games for 500+ people it's loving hard to have a rule set that is fair and balanced that simultaneously serves the spergs and their hypothetical scenario bullshit yet simple enough for newbies to understand and absorb. And at the end of the day there's always someone who thinks something is bullshit...

This is the game by the way
http://www.zedtown.com

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Perhaps a better statement would be "given a look at the current state of 40K, most of us could probably iterate it into a better version much better, or at least more quickly, than GW."

That's a much smaller task than coming up with an entirely new system ex nihilo, and more importantly it's all anybody sane is asking GW to do--nobody wants them to completely rebuild it as a d20 system using the Nethack character creation rules, or whatever else might serve as a strawman of unreasonableness.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Perhaps a better statement would be "given a look at the current state of 40K, most of us could probably iterate it into a better version much better, or at least more quickly, than GW."

That's a much smaller task than coming up with an entirely new system ex nihilo, and more importantly it's all anybody sane is asking GW to do--nobody wants them to completely rebuild it as a d20 system using the Nethack character creation rules, or whatever else might serve as a strawman of unreasonableness.

This is a much better way of saying what I was going for. Yeah, I definitely couldn't write a better system from scratch, but there's things I know would improve the game if implemented.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Cataphract posted:

Holy poo poo this is awesome :orks101:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Ghost Hand posted:

It really isn't. 90% is not reinventing the wheel. Move your mans: check. Roll dice to shoot: check.

Games Workshop just farts out Codex books without playtesting them or taking even a passing moment to wonder how certain rules will interact badly. They did tighten up the rules considerably in 7th edition, though. I actually like how much hand holding they do in the core rules, reiterating the same concept several times and pointing out specific wrong examples. Helps keep the autists in check.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

JerryLee posted:

This is better, but I'm still not sure I agree. I'm not sure the problem is with the designers, but with their design process. They could probably improve a great deal by expanding their playtesting pool and hiring some mathematicians to check and tweak numbers.

Post 9-11 User posted:

It really isn't. 90% is not reinventing the wheel. Move your mans: check. Roll dice to shoot: check.

How far do your mans move in one phase and how big is the table and how long do you want the two sides to maneuver beforep engaging and what about different types of mans and terrain? What dice do you roll and how many and what number do you need and when can your mans shoot and what happens to your mans when they're shot? And who goes first and do they move and shoot all their mans first or do the players switch off in some way?

There's a reason 40K lumbers along with the same basic skeleton inherited from WHFB back in '86. Just coming up with decent resolution mechanics is a lot of work.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Besides the normal GW fluff, is there any word/rumors if there will be new rules for these traits?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Got some more painting done this weekend, so posting the results, per ANAmal's request. This time it's more Thousands Sons. Almost done with the first squad, plus I finished the dreadnought and the first of the terminators. Mostly done in poor lighting with a lovely camera:

Squad (8/9 done):

The Rhino:

The Dreadnought:

Terminator:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Which is different from this thread because

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Got some more painting done this weekend, so posting the results, per ANAmal's request. This time it's more Thousands Sons. Almost done with the first squad, plus I finished the dreadnought and the first of the terminators. Mostly done in poor lighting with a lovely camera:

Squad (8/9 done):

The Rhino:

The Dreadnought:

Terminator:

yes

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost Hand posted:

PeterWeller posted:

Making a good game is hard.

This is all very true. I worked in games for 4 years before burning out and everybody thinks they can make games better than you. Half the time your audience doesn't even know what it wants and you spend valuable time guessing and or figuring it out.

That said, there are industry practices GW could commit to doing in order to create better products. They don't.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

This is all very true. I worked in games for 4 years before burning out and everybody thinks they can make games better than you. Half the time your audience doesn't even know what it wants and you spend valuable time guessing and or figuring it out.

That said, there are industry practices GW could commit to doing in order to create better products. They don't.

There are also plenty of ways to clean up the game if your primary focus isn't moving product through rules. One of the big problems with the Space Marines as a faction is that they have too many units that do too many things, so you have lots of units that are basically obsolete because they do the same thing or serve the same role as another unit, with only small differences. Part of this is a result of releasing new units with every codex, so 20+ years later you're left with a mess where you have 15 units whose job it is to fight in close combat, some of which are just better, more expensive versions of each other. This is why the Tau and Necron codexes feel more coherent from a design standpoint than most--with clear strengths and weaknesses--simply because they are the newest factions.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Bulbasaur and The Chirurgeon both make good points, but the latter wins because that hawk headed terminator totally loving owns. :v:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah it seriously owns. If I was making a 'Merica themed army it's the only head I would use

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

CyberLord XP posted:

Holy poo poo this is awesome :orks101:

here's guncam footage from a guy who played this year.

http://youtu.be/3AuEm8ZRZZs

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

GW can do balance. Fantasy is in a decent place right now. It's not perfectly balanced, but most armies are very close together with only a few outliers. I don't know how they keep missing the target in 40k.

And honestly, balance isn't the worst thing about GW rules. Ambiguity and bad wording and such is way too prevalent in current books, you'd think this was their first time writing rules. They should really look into hiring a specific person in charge of rules management, a la MTG.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Slimnoid posted:

THIS thread didn't lose steam in 3 weeks. More of a slow burn.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ojetor posted:

GW can do balance. Fantasy is in a decent place right now. It's not perfectly balanced, but most armies are very close together with only a few outliers. I don't know how they keep missing the target in 40k.

And honestly, balance isn't the worst thing about GW rules. Ambiguity and bad wording and such is way too prevalent in current books, you'd think this was their first time writing rules. They should really look into hiring a specific person in charge of rules management, a la MTG.

Army by army balance isn't really the problem. "Most armies are very close together with only a few outliers" is something you can say about both games. The real problem is that whole types of units are weak, which is also something you can say about both games.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Slimnoid posted:

this thread has people complaining about people being petulant too

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cataphract posted:

As someone who designs and runs day long mega-games for 500+ people it's loving hard to have a rule set that is fair and balanced that simultaneously serves the spergs and their hypothetical scenario bullshit yet simple enough for newbies to understand and absorb. And at the end of the day there's always someone who thinks something is bullshit...

This is so freakin badass. I wish I knew more about this when we met so we could discuss it at length....

This is awesome in a class all its own! Well done man.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Well I done did it. I'm hopping on this 30k bandwagon. I ordered the the 2 mini rulebooks,the bundle deal that is a tac squad and rhino, and Lorgar. Now to wait till it all arrives and for my wallet to recover.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

The Sisko posted:

Well I done did it. I'm hopping on this 30k bandwagon. I ordered the the 2 mini rulebooks,the bundle deal that is a tac squad and rhino, and Lorgar. Now to wait till it all arrives and for my wallet to recover.

Welcome to the fold Word Brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
One-of-us one-of-us

• Locked thread