Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

evilweasel posted:

Bush I, Nixon. That's off the top of my head, there may be more.

Those are the only two and Nixon doesn't really count as he was MIA for 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nameless_Steve posted:

But when was the last time a Democratic VP was elected to a first term as POTUS? Just once: Martin Van Buren.

The problem with this is that Gore was (or nearly was) elected and the only reason that you're excluding Johnson and Truman is that they assumed office after their President died. Oh, and HHH nearly won in '68 and most likely would have won if Nixon hadn't illegally sabotaged the peace talks.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

computer parts posted:

Those are the only two and Nixon doesn't really count as he was MIA for 8 years.

I disagree - he wasn't MIA, he lost to JFK then came back and won when he got his second shot.

More to the point a quick count of the past VPs says that 14 of them later became President. That's not bad odds - considerably better than any other position I can think of.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
VP gets to ascend to the Presidency if something happens to the President (dies, assassinated, resigns), which happened quite a bit in the mid-20th century (Truman, LBJ, Ford all did it in a 30-year period). Medical science and improved security (recent lapses notwithstanding) mean fewer spot promotions to the big chair - it's been 40 years since the last one - but it still gives the veep a non-zero chance of becoming President without much effort.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Joementum posted:

The problem with this is that Gore was (or nearly was) elected and the only reason that you're excluding Johnson and Truman is that they assumed office after their President died. Oh, and HHH nearly won in '68 and most likely would have won if Nixon hadn't illegally sabotaged the peace talks.

I was under the impression that the disaster at the Democratic Convention was what helped Nixon win that election, but I haven't researched that election very much. An elaboration would be appreciated.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A lot of things contributed. LBJ was going to run for a third term until it became obvious that Vietnam would sink him. He didn't withdraw until March of '68. After that, RFK was supposed to win the nomination, until he got shot. Then there was the chaos at the convention. And finally, there was an 11th hour peace deal that the Nixon campaign scuttled by sending someone to the embassy and promising even more concessions if Nixon were to win. Turns out that by "concessions", he meant "bombs", but po-tat-OH, po-TA-to.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
If you want to group post-Civil War US history into partisan dynasties: (I forgot there were no colors, but that might have made this better)

1861-1933
Republican dominance: 12.03/18 terms
Lincoln-Lincoln/Johnson-Grant-Grant-Hayes-Garfield/Arthur-Cleveland-Harrison-Cleveland-McKinley-McKinley/Roosevelt-Roosevelt-Taft-Wilson-Wilson-Harding/Coolidge-Coolidge-Hoover

1933-1969
Democratic dominance: 7/9 terms
Roosevelt-Roosevelt-Roosevelt-Roosevelt/Truman-Truman-Eisenhower-Eisenhower-Kennedy/Johnson-Johnson.

1969-1993
Republican dominance: 5/6 terms
Nixon-Nixon/Ford-Carter-Reagan-Reagan-Bush

1993-present... Potential Democratic dominance(?) 4/6 terms
Clinton-Clinton-Bush-Bush-Obama-Obama

Since 1969, 7/12 elections have been won by Republicans. Carter and Clinton might have looked like blips before 2008, but potentially 1992 really did start a new age for Democrats.
Doing the math (5/(52*4)=0.025) to seeing how long Lincoln served out of his term made me surprisingly upset. I guess that's still a hot button for me.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

Joementum posted:

The problem with this is that Gore was (or nearly was) elected and the only reason that you're excluding Johnson and Truman is that they assumed office after their President died.

That's true, because being President already gives you an incumbent advantage. I'm optimistically assuming no Democratic President will die, resign, or be removed in the next 10 years, which would completely change the playoff picture.

Also true, Gore won the election, but obviously he wasn't elected. If the Electoral College had been comprised of nonpartisan upstanding members of the community, as originally intended, they surely would have recognized there was no objective winner in Florida and split their EVs, something I'm sure much more in line with the Founding Fathers' original idea for why the Electoral College existed in the first place. Seriously.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nameless_Steve posted:

That's true, because being President already gives you an incumbent advantage. I'm optimistically assuming no Democratic President will die, resign, or be removed in the next 10 years, which would completely change the playoff picture.

Also true, Gore won the election, but obviously he wasn't elected. If the Electoral College had been comprised of nonpartisan upstanding members of the community, as originally intended, they surely would have recognized there was no objective winner in Florida and split their EVs, something I'm sure much more in line with the Founding Fathers' original idea for why the Electoral College existed in the first place. Seriously.
I dunno, using an ambiguity to decide things for the more Southern fellow's benefit would also be a use of the electoral college in line with the views of the Founding Fathers.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about this campaign I've heard rumors of to have blue states with Republican legislatures go to an EV-split situation? This seems like it could upend the map significantly, although if it just COINCIDENTALLY happens to be in three large Democratic-leaning swing states, at some point I think they're going to have a hard time explaining that in a way other than "gently caress you, we rule now, the First Tea Party Division occupies Washington."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Joementum posted:

A lot of things contributed. LBJ was going to run for a third term until it became obvious that Vietnam would sink him. He didn't withdraw until March of '68. After that, RFK was supposed to win the nomination, until he got shot. Then there was the chaos at the convention. And finally, there was an 11th hour peace deal that the Nixon campaign scuttled by sending someone to the embassy and promising even more concessions if Nixon were to win. Turns out that by "concessions", he meant "bombs", but po-tat-OH, po-TA-to.

I know that it happened, and it still astonishes me as the most blatant treason by a Presidential candidate in American history. Chennault urged a Communist group to continue shooting American soldiers in order to help Nixon win the election.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about this campaign I've heard rumors of to have blue states with Republican legislatures go to an EV-split situation?

It's not going to happen. All of this speculation is based on a bill in the Michigan legislature that didn't make it out of committee and that Rick Snyder said he would have vetoed anyway. The sponsor of that bill didn't run for re-election last year and it's not going to come up again in the next session.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nessus posted:

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about this campaign I've heard rumors of to have blue states with Republican legislatures go to an EV-split situation? This seems like it could upend the map significantly, although if it just COINCIDENTALLY happens to be in three large Democratic-leaning swing states, at some point I think they're going to have a hard time explaining that in a way other than "gently caress you, we rule now, the First Tea Party Division occupies Washington."

Won't happen because politicians support their own interests before the party interests and that would vastly dilute their national influence.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nessus posted:

Unlikely - states that do that suddenly stop being swing states (a close state with 15 EVs is worth fighting for because 15 EVs is so much more than 0; if it splits proportionately, then it goes 8/7 or 7/8 depending on who wins, and who needs that?). The politicians of the state lose a lot of influence and ability to bank favors from Presidential campaigns if they split their EVs.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Joementum posted:

I thought he sabotaged the peace talks for the 72 election, how did he do it for the 68 election too?

Chamale posted:

I know that it happened, and it still astonishes me as the most blatant treason by a Presidential candidate in American history. Chennault urged a Communist group to continue shooting American soldiers in order to help Nixon win the election.

Unless he was a lich or Nixon was a necromancer (not too much of stretch), it would be difficult since he had been dead for 10 years when Nixon was running in 68.

sullat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 8, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Nameless_Steve posted:

The next Democrat's VP slot will be worth only half of the usual bucket of warm piss.
Dems can win in 2016 and again in 2020, which is what we need to get a sane SCOTUS majority, but 2024 on top of all of those? Five in a row? I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic.

No party's held onto the White House for 20 uninterrupted years in a row since FDR-Truman, and before that, not since Jefferson-Madison-Monroe-Q.Adams. Voters like to hand the Oval Office over to the other party every 8 years or so just to make sure they still can. Even during eras of one-party dominance.

I'm worried that the tech bubble will pop before the 2016 elections, sending us back into recession, which will promptly be laid at the Democrats' feet. Even if the crash doesn't come until after the election, and Clinton is elected, what's stopping it from fouling up her reelection campaign in 2020?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hedera Helix posted:

I'm worried that the tech bubble will pop before the 2016 elections, sending us back into recession, which will promptly be laid at the Democrats' feet. Even if the crash doesn't come until after the election, and Clinton is elected, what's stopping it from fouling up her reelection campaign in 2020?

There's indication that it's relatively isolated for a bubble so even if there are downturns it won't effect the economy at large that much.

Also the ones that are most likely to get hurt by it are the ones that effectively don't exist anyway (i.e., the startups that rely on billions of VC money, not Google).

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A tech bubble burst would disrupt (heh) the Northern California economy, but nowhere near enough to put CA in play. This bubble isn't nearly as pervasive or out-of-control as the 1990s one. There's been nothing like TimeWarner buying AOL for $160bn (that's $220bn in today's money).

One of the problems of the tech bubble is that it doesn't actually employ very many people for all the valuation it generates (when Facebook bought Whatsapp for $21bn, Whatsapp had something like 80 employees) but at least when the bubble bursts it won't throw huge numbers of people out of work.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

Tech bubble? There's no tech bubble.

Last time, it was fueled a bunch of all-hat-and-no-cattle dotcoms, like pets.com, Epidemic.com, onmoney.com, etc., who were buying huge servers and airing Super Bowl ads before they had cash inflow.
Maybe today Google and especially Facebook are overvalued, but it wouldn't make too much of a dent in the economy if reality ensued. For the internet, you have Amazon, who have learned well from the last bubble and now have a bunch of real-world infrastructure, valuable assets and reliable revenue. Lots of cattle, yeehaw.

The zeitgeist is just too pessimistic right now for us to be in a bubble. For more thoughts, see: http://www.businessinsider.com/tech-bubble-2014-9

Our current wealth/income disparity may be a destabilizing force (see late 18th century France), but otherwise this economy is stable and growing.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nameless_Steve posted:

Tech bubble? There's no tech bubble.

Last time, it was fueled a bunch of all-hat-and-no-cattle dotcoms, like pets.com, Epidemic.com, onmoney.com, etc., who were buying huge servers and airing Super Bowl ads before they had cash inflow.
Maybe today Google and especially Facebook are overvalued, but it wouldn't make too much of a dent in the economy if reality ensued. For the internet, you have Amazon, who have learned well from the last bubble and now have a bunch of real-world infrastructure, valuable assets and reliable revenue. Lots of cattle, yeehaw.

The zeitgeist is just too pessimistic right now for us to be in a bubble. For more thoughts, see: http://www.businessinsider.com/tech-bubble-2014-9

Our current wealth/income disparity may be a destabilizing force (see late 18th century France), but otherwise this economy is stable and growing.

Uber quite clearly would not exist without billionaires wanting to pump money into it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nameless_Steve posted:

The next Democrat's VP slot will be worth only half of the usual bucket of warm piss.
Dems can win in 2016 and again in 2020, which is what we need to get a sane SCOTUS majority, but 2024 on top of all of those? Five in a row? I'm optimistic, but not THAT optimistic.

No party's held onto the White House for 20 uninterrupted years in a row since FDR-Truman, and before that, not since Jefferson-Madison-Monroe-Q.Adams. Voters like to hand the Oval Office over to the other party every 8 years or so just to make sure they still can. Even during eras of one-party dominance.

How many political parties in American history have been as blatantly bad about everything and as unlikeable to anyone who isn't them, ever, outside the goddamn Confederacy? If the Republicans can field a sane candidate in 2024 who doesn't openly hate the America of 2024, yeah, they may win. And if a rat was capable of photosynthesis, I might keep one as a pet.

Analysing trends and voter patterns doesn't work if one side fields a potato.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There are a lot of "app" companies with zillion-dollar valuations and no viable business model. It's an overheated sector and it'll fall down sooner or later, but it's a pale shadow of the size and insanity of the 1990s bubble.

Uber is currently rated as more valuable than the entire taxi and livery sector of the economy and they're still able to raise piles of money. This can't go on indefinitely.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hedera Helix posted:

The real danger isn't the tech bubble bursting, it's the Republicans pulling the trigger on something like the debt ceiling or other "must pass" legislation. There's every reason to believe that no matter how brazenly sociopathic they are a bad economy will be a zero-sum loss for Democrats.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FMguru posted:

There are a lot of "app" companies with zillion-dollar valuations and no viable business model. It's an overheated sector and it'll fall down sooner or later, but it's a pale shadow of the size and insanity of the 1990s bubble.

Uber is currently rated as more valuable than the entire taxi and livery sector of the economy and they're still able to raise piles of money. This can't go on indefinitely.

Note: higher than the entire taxi and livery sector of the world economy not just the US.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

computer parts posted:

Uber quite clearly would not exist without billionaires wanting to pump money into it.
Exactly. The millionaires and billionaires who are invested in these inflated stocks have diversified portfolios and can take a hit. Nobody depends on these companies, which is the surest sign they're inflated. As long as ordinary people's 401ks are invested in more than Uber and Facebook, the economy is strong.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
I suppose it could actually be good for the economy if billionaires stop trying to play the startup lottery and actually invest money into the real economy.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

Fulchrum posted:

How many political parties in American history have been as blatantly bad about everything and as unlikeable to anyone who isn't them, ever, outside the goddamn Confederacy? If the Republicans can field a sane candidate in 2024 who doesn't openly hate the America of 2024, yeah, they may win. And if a rat was capable of photosynthesis, I might keep one as a pet.

Analysing trends and voter patterns doesn't work if one side fields a potato.

After sniveling elitist weaklings Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis, who would have seen Bill Clinton coming? After Hoover, who would have foreseen Eisenhower? There are a lot of midterms between now and 2024. Plenty of time to rebrand the Republican party, if they're smart about it. Maybe this time, it will be a good version of the party, instead of the perverted version of anti-scientific corporatist racist pidgeon-hawks we see today. Something a bit more libertarian to fit with the younger crowd, probably.

That, or they could exploit the complacency caused by 16 years of economic growth and find some wedge issue to motivate their base while the Obama/Clinton coalition forgets to vote because it's such a nice day outside.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hodgepodge posted:

I suppose it could actually be good for the economy if billionaires stop trying to play the startup lottery and actually invest money into the real economy.
A lot of 'real' companies in Silicon Valley (like Intel, Cisco, Oracle, etc.) resent the current App bubble companies because their outsized valuations make it very hard for older, established companies to hire top engineering talent (too hard to compete with no-rule frathouses that might generate an eight figure equity payout for you if they take off) and would probably welcome the collapse of that bubble.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nameless_Steve posted:

After sniveling elitist weaklings Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis, who would have seen Bill Clinton coming? After Hoover, who would have foreseen Eisenhower? There are a lot of midterms between now and 2024. Plenty of time to rebrand the Republican party, if they're smart about it. Maybe this time, it will be a good version of the party, instead of the perverted version of anti-scientific corporatist racist pidgeon-hawks we see today. Something a bit more libertarian to fit with the younger crowd, probably.

That, or they could exploit the complacency caused by 16 years of economic growth and find some wedge issue to motivate their base while the Obama/Clinton coalition forgets to vote because it's such a nice day outside.

I see a flaw.

Carter, Mondale and Dukakis were bad candidates. Hoover was a bad president. The Teapublicans are, at their core, a bad party. Their solution to everything is always to go further right, and they'd need someone to stand up and say thats not working. Forget getting people to follow that person, when has saying that not resulted in them tearing that person to shreds?

They'd need to break their cycle of behaviour before they can come back and redeem themselves, and its been made very clear no force on this earth or any other will break that pattern. The momentum is simply too strong, it has become self perpetuating.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fulchrum posted:

no force on this earth or any other will break that pattern.

Losses big enough to shut a party out of majorities in both houses of Congress and the Executive for at least a couple of election cycle would do it, but we are gerrymandered out of the possibility of that for now, in addition to the crappy feckless campaigning by the Dems in non Presidential years.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
This is a dumb argument, there are only a handful of Democratic politicians in the country whose political stature would not be monumentally elevated by being their party's Vice Presidential nominee and those consist entirely of the men who've been previously nominated for the top of the ticket and Hillary Clinton.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 8, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

sullat posted:

Unless he was a lich or Nixon was a necromancer (not too much of stretch), it would be difficult since he had been dead for 10 years when Nixon was running in 68.

His wife. Look farther than the first google result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Chennault

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fulchrum posted:

I see a flaw.

Carter, Mondale and Dukakis were bad candidates.
Carter was one hell of a president :(

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
I still await the day the Republicans unironically use the Carter Doctrine as cassus belli.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Brought out the Bible thumpers to be sure.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't deny that. A Christian in power actual Christians could be proud of. But he was terrible at explaining to the people why they needed to be adults, why Americans couldn't just chase easy answers and empty rhetoric. Making him bad as a candidate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Carter was a decent campaigner, but pretty terrible at managing his Presidency. He staffed the White House with a bunch of people from his Georgia Gubernatorial staff and didn't work with Congress on his initiatives. That, along with the flailing economy, is what led Kennedy to challenge him in the primary and by the time the convention started his approval rating among Democrats was in the 40s. He did alright once the actual campaign took off:

Then he had a bad debate performance, the hostage negotiations in Iran broke down (possibly due to interference by the Reagan campaign), and inflation kept ticking up.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

In reality, he was mediocre. His Georgia Mafia was ignorant of how Washington operated and alienated everyone. He tried to bully Congress who just got mad and refused to cooperate with him. As a result, he was not good at getting anything done and got blamed whenever anything went wrong.

He's been a fantastic ex-President, probably one of the best ever. In office, though, he wasn't much to write home about.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

His wife. Look farther than the first google result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Chennault

Wife, eh? Guess my patriarchy must be showing, didn't think to check her bio.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Deteriorata posted:

In office, though, he wasn't much to write home about.

Cough cough Camp David Accords cough cough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Howard Dean is Ready for Hillary.

• Locked thread