Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

The FL-600 seems OK, but it's pretty expensive. Is its smaller brother FL-300 much worse?

Edit: I mostly need it for indoor pics in crappy light over the holidays (little kids will be involved, so fast shutter speeds will be needed) and maybe some macro stuff. The FL-600 seems like overkill, but if the FL-300 really sucks I'll contemplate it.

FYI- regular 4/3 flashes like the FL-36R will run on m4/3 bodies and they're plenty cheap used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

8th-snype posted:

Overrated.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

DJExile posted:

FYI- regular 4/3 flashes like the FL-36R will run on m4/3 bodies and they're plenty cheap used.

Eh, that one costs almost as much as the FL-600 here. Might as well go for the newer gear.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just cancelled my A7ii preorder... I did it mostly so I could have the option of getting it before I left for Australia, but with the way the exchange rate is now it's actually cheaper at Sony Australia (even after GST), and I was really on the fence about it with whatever the A9 is just around the corner anyways. Think I'll let the dust settle and let whatever early adopter I buy mine from take the hit on initial depreciation.

In other news, ABOUT GODDAMN TIME.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They made the three best and cheapest E-Mount lenses already, I have good hopes about it if they decide to really get into E/F-E lenses.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

evil_bunnY posted:

You want TTL.

Reasons to get TTL:

1. you absolutely have to get the shot right the very first time you take the picture and can't afford to spend 10 seconds before hand taking a test shot or learning guide numbers/how flashes work so that you can just eyeball that poo poo

2. you don't like having money

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOJyBmDvp5c

That is just... wow :stare:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

holy poo poo

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Jesus gently caress. I have no use for it but i want it anyway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All that and sony makes *1* lens faster than 2.8. It's 55mm.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

All that and sony makes *1* lens faster than 2.8. It's 55mm.

That and no FE-mount pancake lens is what convinced me to switch to Fuji. Not to mention that the a7 has nothing on the X-T1 when it comes to looks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well, I'm sold, gonna go toss my rebel in the trash now.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

That video would be a lot funnier if people were bumping into each other in the dark.

I took this photo at ISO 51200, f/2.8, 1/5, handheld, at around 11PM at night:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Edward IV posted:

That and no FE-mount pancake lens is what convinced me to switch to Fuji. Not to mention that the a7 has nothing on the X-T1 when it comes to looks.

The Zeiss 35mm is sorta pancakey, if you're into wide lenses.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

If you think that is good this will blow your mind:

https://vimeo.com/108613669

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

keyframe posted:

If you think that is good this will blow your mind:

https://vimeo.com/108613669
I'm confused by the purpose of this.

I mean, from a technical standpoint it's very impressive, but the result isn't "true" to the scene so it looks weird, and it's also noisy and muddy as hell so it's not exactly a good substitute for daytime filming. As an example of lowlight capabilities it's nice I guess, but this specific example seems useless to me. What usage does that particular scenario have, other than simply a cool "tech demo"?

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Mr. Despair posted:

Reasons to get TTL:

1. you absolutely have to get the shot right the very first time you take the picture and can't afford to spend 10 seconds before hand taking a test shot or learning guide numbers/how flashes work so that you can just eyeball that poo poo

2. you don't like having money

?CONTEXT ERROR █

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I mean, from a technical standpoint it's very impressive, but the result isn't "true" to the scene so it looks weird, and it's also noisy and muddy as hell so it's not exactly a good substitute for daytime filming. As an example of lowlight capabilities it's nice I guess, but this specific example seems useless to me. What usage does that particular scenario have, other than simply a cool "tech demo"?

It's not "true" because your eyes aren't particularly sensitive to anything beyond contrast at low light levels; your statement would be about as accurate if you claimed any digital camera wasn't "true" to the scene when sensors don't perfectly mimic human vision.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Whirlwind Jones posted:

How else are you supposed to videotape white girls twerking on the beach at 3am? That is a use case.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Natural history documentaries? So much interesting wildlife behaviour happens after the sun goes down. Night vision and thermal have both opened up avenues to record stuff but both produce a result that isn't "less true" to the world we inhabit.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Who the gently caress thinks cameras are only supposed to produce something "true" to a scene?

Don't ever read about cinematography or really photography at all beyond instruction manuals and MTF diagrams

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

Sigma e-mount 30mm f2.8 Amazon lightning deal 12/5 till 6pm PST only
Didn't see this up, but the Sigma 30mm f2.8 is down to $149 as a lightning deal on Amazon for 12/5 only. Looks like it ends at about 6pm PST.

Searched and didn't see this posted yet. This is $50 lower than other retailer prices (B&H and the like) and this lens is highly reviewed as a "must have" for any e-mount system camera.

http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=747822..._p%3D1976422982

Its not as cheap as the old version from 2 years ago but is something.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, I'm sold, gonna go toss my rebel in the trash now.

I feel like a creep peeking silently in the dark. I hope Batman has this gadget.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

That would be amazing for chasing storms at night - you're usually restricted to trying to catch glimpses of tornadoes when the lightning illuminates them. Would be very helpful for tracking deadly tornadoes after dark.

There's a quarter mile wide EF-2 tornado in this video that took us quite awhile to actually see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YiZxlI9zYA&t=68s

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It'd also be a great camera to take for any sort of protests or whatever, since they're often poorly lit and run late.

There's a ton of use for crazy high iso, even if you won't use most of them 90% of the time

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Elliotw2 posted:

It'd also be a great camera to take for any sort of protests or whatever, since they're often poorly lit and run late.

There's a ton of use for crazy high iso, even if you won't use most of them 90% of the time

Not to mention how good it would be for any sort of poorly lit sports.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What camera does BBC use to film their 4k documentaries?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Whirlwind Jones posted:

:what:

what the hell does "true to the scene" mean?

I don't know how to explain to you why this is impressive if you can't think of any uses for a camera that can shoot in moonlight.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Guys stop this is headed the route of the portrait focal length derail, and that was loving stupid and bad

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered
I'm looking into getting a interchangeable lens system to do more photography with actually controlling exposure, aperture, and such; I've done this some on my old powershot SD750, but the controls made it hard. Most of my usage is family pictures and travel, so portability is a high priority. Because of this, I'm mainly looking at mirrorless systems.

I'm thinking I'd be best starting with and older, perhaps used, body, and focus on getting some decent lenses and getting good at actually using them. My budget with a body, prime, and ideally a kit lens is $750 or so.

Here's what I've found so far:
  • Sony has a range of lenses available, retail at the local best buy so I can try the ergnomics, and has been doing mirrorless long enough that there are older used bodies available. I handled the A6000 and it was really nice - just big enough to be comfortable, while still easy to transport; the A5000, on the other hand, was a little on the small side. Sony also doesn't seem have the best support reputation around here, and the upgrade path past the A6000 is going to their FF bodies; should that bother me? Looking at KEH, a used NEX-5r, kit zoom, and 35mm prime fit into my budget.
  • Olympus has similar pluses, along with a more obvious upgrade path (M10->E5 family->E1 family) and a better support reputation. Unfortunately, there's no Olympus retailer in town listed online; I'll be hitting local camera shops tomorrow to see what I can find. Amazon has the low-end E-PL5 w/ the 14-42 kit lens and 25mm f/1.8 online inside my budget.
  • Fuji doesn't have the older bodies, and most of their lenses are more expensive. Not sure what I think about the lack of a viewfinder, too. The X-M1 and 28mm f/2.8 sneaks under my budget with no kit lens. Similarly, the X-M1 with the fast f/2-4 18-55 kit lens used from KEH also fits in my budget, but with no prime lens. Like Olympus, we'll have to see what the local camera shops have so I can check ergonomics.

Are there any obvious older bodies in the Sony/Olympus lines to look at that I can probably get for a modest price and have good ergonomics? Any obvious ones to avoid? Things I've missed or forgotten?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Borachon posted:

I'm looking into getting a interchangeable lens system to do more photography with actually controlling exposure, aperture, and such; I've done this some on my old powershot SD750, but the controls made it hard. Most of my usage is family pictures and travel, so portability is a high priority. Because of this, I'm mainly looking at mirrorless systems.

I'm thinking I'd be best starting with and older, perhaps used, body, and focus on getting some decent lenses and getting good at actually using them. My budget with a body, prime, and ideally a kit lens is $750 or so.

Here's what I've found so far:
  • Sony has a range of lenses available, retail at the local best buy so I can try the ergnomics, and has been doing mirrorless long enough that there are older used bodies available. I handled the A6000 and it was really nice - just big enough to be comfortable, while still easy to transport; the A5000, on the other hand, was a little on the small side. Sony also doesn't seem have the best support reputation around here, and the upgrade path past the A6000 is going to their FF bodies; should that bother me? Looking at KEH, a used NEX-5r, kit zoom, and 35mm prime fit into my budget.
  • Olympus has similar pluses, along with a more obvious upgrade path (M10->E5 family->E1 family) and a better support reputation. Unfortunately, there's no Olympus retailer in town listed online; I'll be hitting local camera shops tomorrow to see what I can find. Amazon has the low-end E-PL5 w/ the 14-42 kit lens and 25mm f/1.8 online inside my budget.
  • Fuji doesn't have the older bodies, and most of their lenses are more expensive. Not sure what I think about the lack of a viewfinder, too. The X-M1 and 28mm f/2.8 sneaks under my budget with no kit lens. Similarly, the X-M1 with the fast f/2-4 18-55 kit lens used from KEH also fits in my budget, but with no prime lens. Like Olympus, we'll have to see what the local camera shops have so I can check ergonomics.

Are there any obvious older bodies in the Sony/Olympus lines to look at that I can probably get for a modest price and have good ergonomics? Any obvious ones to avoid? Things I've missed or forgotten?

You can easily get an X-E1 and either kit lens or 35mm for your budget. Alternatively this goon's EM-5 and kit is within budget.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Panasonic has some highly decent poo poo also, for relatively few dollars.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
This is kind of interesting: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5-successor-has-sensor-shift-to-create-up-to-40-megapixel-images-on-the-fly/

43rumors is saying that the new EM-5 is going to be able to use sensor shift to increase resolution by stacking multiple exposures.

Hasselblad does this with one of their medium-format cameras.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

http://www.fujirumors.com/hot-deals-x-e1-with-18-55-for-699-ends-dec09-rokinon-12mm-deal-starts-soon-x-a1-with-double-zoom-kit-for-499/

Fuji X-E1 and the 18-55 for $700. Not bad.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Yeah, that's a pretty screaming deal. I'm going to see if I can find a fuji in town to handle today and see what I think.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you want to go cheap, nothing cheaper than an used Canon with a third party 2.8 zoom lens.

grack posted:

This is kind of interesting: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m5-successor-has-sensor-shift-to-create-up-to-40-megapixel-images-on-the-fly/

43rumors is saying that the new EM-5 is going to be able to use sensor shift to increase resolution by stacking multiple exposures.

Hasselblad does this with one of their medium-format cameras.

Don't you need to do it in studio/tripod.

I think its just a gimmick to get "30MP" printed on the box.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Borachon posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty screaming deal. I'm going to see if I can find a fuji in town to handle today and see what I think.

Neither local camera store carry any mirrorless (well, except one that has a Nikon 1). None of the local big boxes (Best Buy, Target, Office Max, Staples, Wally world) have anything mirrorless outside of Sony, either.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 8, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

whatever7 posted:

Don't you need to do it in studio/tripod.

I think its just a gimmick to get "30MP" printed on the box.

It would be nice for landscape photography.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Borachon posted:

Neither local camera store carry any mirrorless (well, except one that has a Nikon 1). None of the local big boxes (Best Buy, Target, Office Max, Staples, Wally world) have anything mirrorless outside of Sony, either.

Best Buy has Fuji X cameras on their site and people have reported seeing them in the stores lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

RustedChrome posted:

Best Buy has Fuji X cameras on their site and people have reported seeing them in the stores lately.

Yes, but I've looked both online and at the local stores, and both say there are no Fuji X cameras locally. On the other hand, CostCo also seems to have Fuji X-series cameras online; I can check there locally, as well.