Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Gatts posted:

Unless it's scripted (like wrestling, HAW!) I'd think whoever is put against Punk if is an existing fighter, I mean like someone on a downswing in career, will have something to prove and go really aggressive on him.

Like how Wrestling politics used to have it that if you got your rear end kicked and didn't prove you were tough, they'd job you out. I wonder if the UFC has something similar of a mindset to see him as a wannabe and will use it to prove a point.

Why would they kneecap a draw for no good reason? It's not wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
me and arf will buy a part of your fight banner. it will contain one of my posts.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Charles Gnarwin posted:

The UFC doesn't give a poo poo about wannabes. They care about money, something that Punk will make them a lot of.

My mistake, I don't mean the UFC itself. I mean the fighters in the UFC. You're exactly right about that tough. I should have said the mentality of the fighters.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Would that BJJ tournament mobn did make him overqualified to fight Punk?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Meat Recital posted:

me and arf will buy a part of your fight banner. it will contain one of my posts.

hope its this one

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634084&pagenumber=150&perpage=40#post434319779

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Gatts posted:

My mistake, I don't mean the UFC itself. I mean the fighters in the UFC. You're exactly right about that tough. I should have said the mentality of the fighters.

Well I assume the people fighting him will try to win, yes.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

Turns out Punk just had an ingrown hair. Ban him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Skinty McEdger posted:

Ha! Alright, point taken.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skinty McEdger posted:

They should bring in Peter McNeeley for credibility - dude was so good they chose him to fight Tyson for his big comeback!

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

fatherdog posted:

His first fight is almost certainly going to be on the televised prelims on a show in Chicago.

In his interview with Ariel Helwani he basically said his debut fight will be on PPV.

e: Also it probably won't be in Chicago because the next Chicago show they're running is a bit too early for him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lloyd Boner posted:

In his interview with Ariel Helwani he basically said his debut fight will be on PPV.

e: Also it probably won't be in Chicago because the next Chicago show they're running is a bit too early for him.

I hope it is in LA so the Kings mascot can heckle him.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MassRafTer posted:

Mobn could never make 185

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
i don't know much about cm punk but a lot of people seem angry about this so whichever way it goes it'll probably be funny also the ufc is in dire need of ppv draws right now and whatever keeps my gay sport afloat i'm in favour of.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

It might be rushing it for a dude with no MMA experience, but I hope Punk fights before the Reebok deal because I want to see what type of sponsors he can drum up. Maybe he can finally get his Slim Jims deal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Snap into a Slim Jim!

*picture of Punk's arm breaking after being in an actual submission hold*

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
You owned cm punk by juxtaposing his inexperience in MMA with a dead man's popular ad campaign for slim jims from 1996, a comprehensive and brutal destruction.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
cm punk will need to use 1-800-call-att to collect call the hospital after he gets a carrot top of his own, from his head bleeding.

Sir Jebus
Feb 9, 2010

The only hero left for man is weed.

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

You owned cm punk by juxtaposing his inexperience in MMA with a dead man's popular ad campaign for slim jims from 1996, a comprehensive and brutal destruction.

Actually he was juxtaposing his inexperience in MMA with the fact that he recently revealed he was offered a Slim Jim sponsorship deal.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

cm punk will need to use 1-800-call-att to collect call the hospital after he gets a carrot top of his own, from his head bleeding.

hahaha

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He should fight Jeff Jarrett, MMA enthusiast.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

:drat:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
https://twitter.com/colemillerATT/status/541502143736594433?s=09

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

lol

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I would love to see CM Punk take on Jason David Frank as one of his 8 fight's, JDF has been banging on about it for a long time.
Of course it'd only work if when signing to the UFC Frank agree's to play up the former Power Ranger as much as possible.

As someone who knows next to gently caress all about Pro Wrestling past Wrestlemania 9 and only a small amount about MMA Fighters (I know a bit about the sport having trained and even an amateur fight myself) I can't help but feel Punk will add that level of showmanship that literally 90% of MMA fighters (that I've seen) lack.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I will watch him fight for the same reason i watch all fights - to see a man die

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Ahaha

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If there's no champion due to fight in that month (something the UFC have control over), I can totally see CM Punk both headlining a PPV, though probably a 3 rounder rather than 5, and it being the best selling PPV of the year.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I've never seen a MMA or UFC fight in my life but I will buy the first ppv punk is on especially if it annoys MMA enthusiasts welp that's my reply k thnx BITW

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Interesting development.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Besides going straight to the PPV main card, it'd make the most sense to throw Punk on Fight Pass for the first 1-2 fights and get some subs out of the whole deal. I can't see him ever going on free tv if its not part of a favor or deal wih Fox.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Everyone calls me a human being

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

This isn't true at all, there's almost no correlation between prelim ratings and PPV buys. They did huge prelim numbers for shows like Coleman/Couture and then the actual PPV did poorly. Sometimes the major shows do big prelim numbers, sometimes they don't. There was a closer correlation between prelim ratings and Superbowl Saturday than with PPV buys.

That was an unimaginably weak card. That it did 275k buys is a complete miracle.

To be more clear: the ufc feels confident that a strong prelim headliner creates more buys than they would otherwise get.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I think if he doesn't injure himself in training hardcore for 6 months and actually gets a fight in 2015, he'll surprise a lot of people in how well he does win or lose. I want him to win just as much as I want him to lose because the salt will flow either way.

Also-

https://twitter.com/WWEAJLee/status/541940811093798912

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Stokes posted:

I think if he doesn't injure himself in training hardcore for 6 months and actually gets a fight in 2015, he'll surprise a lot of people in how well he does win or lose.

Okay I'm just curious as to what you have to back this feeling up or is this just one of the "I like him a whole bunch so think he'll do well" things.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I know they're talking about getting another 0-0 guy or whatever to fight Punk, but I feel they should go in the opposite direction and have him fight Shannon Ritch.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Okay I'm just curious as to what you have to back this feeling up or is this just one of the "I like him a whole bunch so think he'll do well" things.

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly how Punk is going about training, or exactly how prepared he is/is going to be, but I'd like to think that Dana and Lorenzo have learned from the James Toney situation. I'm sure part of the reason they signed him was to keep him away from Bellator/WSOF, but if he is as criminally unprepared to fight a scrub as a lot of people in this thread and others say he is, I would think Dana and Co. would let him go embarrass himself in another fight organization. Of course maybe I'm wrong and they haven't learned, but like i said:

Stokes posted:

I want him to win just as much as I want him to lose because the salt will flow either way.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Stokes posted:

I'm not going to pretend to know exactly how Punk is going about training, or exactly how prepared he is/is going to be, but I'd like to think that Dana and Lorenzo have learned from the James Toney situation. I'm sure part of the reason they signed him was to keep him away from Bellator/WSOF, but if he is as criminally unprepared to fight a scrub as a lot of people in this thread and others say he is, I would think Dana and Co. would let him go embarrass himself in another fight organization. Of course maybe I'm wrong and they haven't learned, but like i said:

he is a white belt at bjj, but apparently he's a very good white belt. he mostly trains with a gi. he's never trained mma. when asked if he could fight he didn't talk about his training, or who he is sparring with. he said that fighting is in our dna, so every one can fight.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
cm punk will look absolutely spectacular relative to everyone else with his experience, because he'll be able to train full time. i would imagine that once he starts to get real fights he will have a lot of trouble making it through a training camp uninjured.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
He is criminally unprepared, but the guy he'll be facing will also be criminally unprepared. However if the other dude has 1 regional bullshit mma fight under his belt that's literally an infinite amount more experience than CM Punk has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!

david carmichael posted:

he is a white belt at bjj, but apparently he's a very good white belt. he mostly trains with a gi. he's never trained mma. when asked if he could fight he didn't talk about his training, or who he is sparring with. he said that fighting is in our dna, so every one can fight.

He described himself as a lifelong white belt and doesn't believe in the ceremonies and stuff, he just wants to learn as much as he can. I imagine he'd probably be close to purple but who really knows.

• Locked thread