Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

SynthOrange posted:

I was in such an awful funk on Friday night that I couldnt sleep at all, and kept wondering if things would be improved by Scott Morrison being knifed by a crazed auspollermauled to death by lions.

Anidav posted:

What's to say a bunch of lions don't post on Auspol?

They would be the pride of Australia if they did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Freudian Slip posted:

They would be the pride of Australia if they did

:vince:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
propaganda is happening

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

I like how one of the questions in the quiz on the website apparently suggests that uni students are going to be rich anyway so gently caress em.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
First Bolt, now Jones.

Alan Jones berates Greg Hunt for endangering Tony Abbott's seat over harbour development

Radio announcer Alan Jones has suggested Tony Abbott could lose his seat because of the public outcry over a local aged care redevelopment and has accused the environment minister, Greg Hunt, of listening to “Labor hacks” in approving it.

In an angry 30-minute interview on Sydney’s 2GB, Jones repeatedly chastised Hunt, accusing him of “telling lies to my listeners” and of accepting advice from Labor appointees on

the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust about the proposal to build a privately owned, for-profit aged care home overlooking Sydney harbour at Middle Head.

“They are cheering and clapping their hands, they are saying ‘We’ve got Abbott on something else’ … [former prime minister Julia] Gillard appointed these people and they are laughing at you … they are rubbing their hands because Tony Abbott is in trouble with his own people and he may go the way John Howard went in Bennelong,” Jones said. (Howard lost the Sydney seat of Bennelong at the 2007 election).

“You will doom Tony Abbott if you start building an aged care facility there, I am telling you now,” he told Hunt, despite the fact that the prime minister holds the seat of Warringah by a very healthy 15.3% margin. “The prime minister is on the rack.”

In a six-minute, 30-second introduction to the interview, Jones said the Coalition was “on the nose” and this was not going to improve unless they started to listen.

“I am just telling them what the public will do if they don’t change … this is government completely out of control telling the people to get stuffed … and this is in Tony Abbott’s electorate and he has been hopelessly and dishonestly advised … the commonwealth consent authority was signed off by Greg Hunt, every aspect of this is a disgrace, and the minister Greg Hunt is on the line,” Jones said as he concluded his introductory monologue.

Hunt attempted to explain that his approval had been subject to the views of the rural fire service, and tried to give some history of the decision-making process, but was repeatedly interrupted by the broadcaster, who accused Hunt of lying and not knowing what he was talking about.

A Fairfax Ipsos poll published on Monday showed Abbott’s personal standing falling to levels equal to the lowest suffered by Gillard, and the Coalition at an election-losing 48% to Labor’s 52% in two-party-preferred terms.

But in a series of interviews Abbott continued to deny he had broken election promises on health and education and insisted his government had the “fundamentals” right. He shrugged off leadership speculation by comparing himself with Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan.

“The Howard government, the Thatcher government, the Reagan government all had rough patches in the polls, and I’m not the first leader to be subject to a bit of speculation,” he told Seven’s Sunrise.

Abbott is facing a revolt in Liberal branches in his electorate over the plan to redevelop the former defence site. It has also been criticised by one of his sisters who lives in the area, Jane Vincent.

The locals say the development is another broken promise by Abbott, who said in a speech in April 2012: “Largely at my instigation, the Howard government committed more than $115m to the Sydney Harbour Federation Trust to preserve the natural and built heritage of places like North Head and Middle Head.”

Jones had previously rounded on Hunt’s parliamentary secretary Simon Birmingham over the development, saying it was Abbott’s “Julia Gillard moment”.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/dec/08/alan-jones-berates-tony-abbott-and-greg-hunt-over-sydney-harbour-development

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Anidav posted:

Every time we pass Cairns hospital in a shuttle bus the drivers sing praise about how great the Queensland Government is. Did Newman promise anything to the Cairns hospital or do these bus drivers have to do it by contract?

Does this poo poo actually happen man?

You seem to live in a land of lefty dystopia (Queensland lol) where every day you have encounter and some ridiculous anecdote to an absolute T.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Adnar posted:

You seem to live in a land of lefty dystopia (Queensland lol) where every day you have encounter and some ridiculous anecdote to an absolute T.

Doesn't he just live in Australia then?

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I like how one of the questions in the quiz on the website apparently suggests that uni students are going to be rich anyway so gently caress em.

Beats suggesting higher taxes on higher incomes I guess.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

“But I think that the public are also focusing on performance and this is a government which has fundamentally kept faith when it comes to the big commitments we made to the Australian people.

“There are a lot of things which people have said and frankly a lot of these so called commitments were commitments that people attributed to us post the election.”

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

froglet posted:

Coworkers take on it. "Well, now the dalek has gone we will no longer have to hear her bleat on about the NDIS".

:suicide:

Jesus christ

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone else getting the feeling that Abbott is being put out there to at the moment to look ineffective so that he can be replaced? He hasn't come off very well at all lately but he keeps going out there and reminding people why they hate him.

Also, what's the thread think about:
"What should the Prime Minister do with his proposed paid parental leave scheme?

A) Stick to the original plan that he took to the election
B) Alter the proposal to include means testing and further funding for childcare
C) Ditch the proposed scheme altogether
D) Other"

And finally, what's happening with the NDIS?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

Anyone else getting the feeling that Abbott is being put out there to at the moment to look ineffective so that he can be replaced? He hasn't come off very well at all lately but he keeps going out there and reminding people why they hate him.

Also, what's the thread think about :
"What should the Prime Minister do with his proposed paid parental leave scheme?

B) Alter the proposal to include means testing and further funding for childcare
D) Other"

D: Kill himself.

I think that might be what they're doing, but they're not doing it very well. The only minister who hasn't made a fool of themself recently is literally Hitler Eichmann.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

D) Other"

This question is complicated.

"What should the Prime Minister do with PPL to maximise chance at election?" -> Keep his proposal untouched, and implement further childcare funding

"What should the Prime Minister do with PPL to maximise the benefit to Australia?" -> Scrap it, move all the funding across to Childcare and do something about affordability and availability.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I think the question is about what outcome you want from the policy. How does keeping it maximise his chances at election? Is it the policy itself, or is it the narrative of weakness/ineffective?

I would have said B, personally.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I honestly don't see how scrapping it would hurt him more than what he has already lied about. At this point you either know tony abbott is a lying shitfuck or you will deny that to your dying breath, and no amount of new evidence can change that.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

I think the question is about what outcome you want from the policy. How does keeping it maximise his chances at election? Is it the policy itself, or is it the narrative of weakness/ineffective?

Agreed.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Personally I like the idea of both. State funded / subsidised childcare AND paid parental leave. The more we can remove economic impediments to having children, the better off we are long term.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Les Affaires posted:

Personally I like the idea of both. State funded / subsidised childcare AND paid parental leave. The more we can remove economic impediments to having children, the better off we are long term.

I believe that this should be the case for the first two children. I don't think we should encourage people to have more children than replacement numbers. This is purely from an environmental position. I love the idea of large families (I come from a family of four brothers) but I don't believe the Earth can sustain continued population growth.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

That collides with the Liberal view that only their people should benefit, because more neoliberals is a good thing but all poor people produce are lefties. It's a common thread in their policy platform.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Freudian Slip posted:

I believe that this should be the case for the first two children. I don't think we should encourage people to have more children than replacement numbers. This is purely from an environmental position. I love the idea of large families (I come from a family of four brothers) but I don't believe the Earth can sustain continued population growth.

Not funding third children would cause a lot more harm than good. Few people in this country want to have big families anyway, so it's unlikely to become a serious issue.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

There's a lot more than just economics that informs the choice of parents to only have one or two kids, but we can probably leave the argument about fetishising the female body, motherhood and commodities to a different thread.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Adnar posted:

Yes. The diving company sent me a CD-ROM with all my underwater photos and they also included photos of the reef that didn't include me.

These beautiful photos of a living reef appear to be from...

Reef in 2003:
Reef now:

It almost makes my weekend in Cairns kinda saddening. Besides the Reef dying, the rainforests were rad.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Anidav posted:

Yes. The diving company sent me a CD-ROM with all my underwater photos and they also included photos of the reef that didn't include me.

Reef in 2003:
Reef now:

It almost makes my weekend in Cairns kinda saddening. Besides the Reef dying, the rainforests were rad.

There needs to be a growing :catstare:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Anidav posted:

Reef in 2003:
Reef now:

Don't worry, those can be clear cut or burnt down, or just die from climate change.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Abbott had three types of policy. "Gonna get rid of it": carbon tax, boats. "Gonna bring it in": PPL. "Not gonna touch it": everything else. The third one is down, the second is looking shaky, and the first is less of an issue at the moment. If he bails on PPL, it'll look like Rudd walking away from the greatest economic and moral issue of our time, or whatever it was he called climate change.

Les Affaires posted:

They're both important and would have a pretty big impact on improving the quality of life for a lot of people.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Deal with it even morer

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So much salt is in these last two weeks

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Amoeba102 posted:

Unless Abbott gets abducted by a Chinese submarine while surfing I can't see him being replaced before the elections. It would make them look as shambolic as the Labor party was in 2010; people may not like Abbott but I really doubt they think factional infighting is how he should be removed. Especially if it ends up with someone as divisive as Morrison.

quote:

D) Other"
B). I'm fine with the idea of PPL recipients getting money proportional to their income, I just think it's an insufficient approach. Abbott can probably pass something if he gets his own house in order since the Greens plan isn't too dissimilar either.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Anidav posted:

Reef in 2003:
Reef now:

You have nothing to fear my friend, the reef will be protected!

quote:

The Member for Capricornia has told WIN News she's 'fair dinkum' about protecting the Great Barrier Reef.

In a major announcement today, Michelle Landry endorsed a $31 million reef research fund, to help manage water quality in tropical Queensland.

SAVED!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Unless Abbott gets abducted by a Chinese submarine while surfing I can't see him being replaced before the elections. It would make them look as shambolic as the Labor party was in 2010; people may not like Abbott but I really doubt they think factional infighting is how he should be removed. Especially if it ends up with someone as divisive as Morrison.

You'd have thought Labor would have been smarter than to allow for leadership speculation to plague them, but you know how it went.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

So much salt is in these last two weeks

Yeah, don't read the comments.

Rowan Dean posted:

Apparently, a majority of us think Bill Shorten would be a better prime minister of our country than Tony Abbott.

Let me run that past you again – slowly this time, really slowly, because it’s obvious there are some pretty slow people out there: a … majority … (in other words, enough voters to win an election) … think … (i.e. have apparently used what passes for their brains and come to this conclusion) … that Bill Shorten … (a bloke who is so empty-headed he once said: “I don’t know what Julia Gillard said, but I agree with every word of it”) … would be a better prime minister … (in other words, be making every single decision every single day for three years that will determine the prosperity and financial success of every one of us and all our children) … than Tony Abbott (a bloke who, regardless of whether you like him or not, has as his sole focus a single-minded determination to fix the economic mess that this country is in).

Come again? Are we for real?

Wait, that's not in the comments. That's in the article.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The media speculation about Leadership can be traced back to Peter Costello where there was heaps of fanfiction in both Newspapers and Liberal backbenchers. After the Howard Government fell and Rudd turned out to be a weirdo, the revived interest has been with us ever since.

EDIT: You missed the most bitter part of the article

quote:

With Labor back in charge of our money – fuelled by the barely functioning intelligent life form known as the Greens and those guardians of greed the unions – our economy would nosedive into Euro-style stagnation and high unemployment faster than a Euro bullet train. Already in Victoria, only a week after the Libs lost, union thugs are shutting down businesses.

How stupid are we as a nation that we’re not even prepared to pay a tiny amount (the cost of two cups of coffee, or a Happy meal) to visit the doc? Even the Kiwis figured out that a decent healthcare system costs dosh.

How thick are we that we think everybody can go to uni for free? (Who’s supposed to pay for all those computers, teachers, buildings, labs etc that allows students to graduate and get rich? You.)

Anidav fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 8, 2014

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

You'd have thought Labor would have been smarter than to allow for leadership speculation to plague them, but you know how it went.
I would have put cash money on them not replacing Gillard with Rudd, because the switching back and forth was totally insane. Luckily I didn't have time to open a betting account. And so ended my foray into political gambling.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

The media speculation about Leadership can be traced back to Peter Costello where there was heaps of fanfiction in both Newspapers and Liberal backbenchers. After the Howard Government fell and Rudd turned out to be a weirdo, the revived interest has been with us ever since.

EDIT: You missed the most bitter part of the article

Yep, union thugs are shutting down businesses like crazy down here :rolleyes:

The Murdoch media is really getting desperate

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is there a comprehensive list of businesses shut down by Union thugs since last week?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
We voted Abbott in so it's pretty hard to argue against us being the dumbest nation on earth

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Anidav posted:

Is there a comprehensive list of businesses shut down by Union thugs since last week?

The CFMEU shut down an Aldi construction site which tipped off a bunch of libtards on facebook.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
RIP ALDI

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Gough Suppressant posted:

We voted Abbott in so it's pretty hard to argue against us being the dumbest nation on earth

You just don't get it, if we have free university education we'll end up an unproductive economic failure like Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Shanakin posted:

You have nothing to fear my friend, the reef will be protected!

SAVED!

I wonder if "improving water quality" will include putting fluoride back in the drinking water. :qld:

• Locked thread