Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirius Sam
Apr 12, 2005

BUTTCHEEKS

Xeom posted:

So I am sort of at a crossroads. I've been playing for about 4 months and I really like the game. I've been playing boss sligh which is obviously a really cheap deck.

But I wan't to take the next step and build a $100 deck. I am considering either continuing with my red deck and building something like (http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8671&d=249576&f=ST), or switching to a UW heroic. Both decks seem really fun.

Which deck do you guys think will still be viable after fate reforged?

It is impossible to know what will be viable after a set we know nothing about yet is released. That being said neither of those decks are terribly expensive in the grand scheme of current standard and the expensive cards in either Rabble red or UW heroic are going to hold value/still be very playable for the rest of this standard (probably)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The next set comes out in like a month or so. I would just hold off.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Given the two cards we know, nonwhite Black control strategies will be helped by having access to a 5-cost wrath effect. That's saying nothing much you couldn't extrapolate yourself, though.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Samael posted:

Sorry, a bit late on this but been trying to brew something like this for a while and would like your opinions-

Why Magma Jet over Lightning Strike? There are plenty of 3 toughness things out there. Is the scry 2 that important?
Why Akroan Hoplite over something like Foundry Street Denizen or Bloodsoaked Champion? Why are the plus sides of that card?
How did the mana base work out? Did you have trouble with balancing pain lands/tap lands?

The mana base was actually not that hard to put together. I wanted 15 or so of each color, and put the temples on my more used colors to avoid taking more than I have to. My life total doesn't really matter in most matchups until it's near 0, jeskai aggro is the only exception. Basically my deck's gameplan is to lay down threats turns 1-3, then spend the rest of the game using spells to kill their threats, triggering the prowess creatures for additional damage and combat tricks, along with the lifegain that allows me to play a greedy mana base.

Now for why I'm playing Magma Jet over Lightning Strike mainboard. Using the prowess creatures, magma jet kills most of the relevant creatures in the format for me. Swiftspear blocked by courser into magma jet is fine, and the scry is pretty important to have because you do run more lands than most aggro/tempo type decks since you have to hit 3 colors by turn 4, preferably turn 3 (with this build I hit all 3 untapped colors on turn 3 almost every game). The only card that I would rather have in the strike against over the jets is against jeskai aggro, because dealing with mantis rider isn't always easy when you need to hold onto your stokes for either stormbreaths or ending the game, or crackling doom for stormbreaths or sharkhan. Usually how I kill mantis rider is with something like Akroan Hoplite Mardu Ascendancy, if they block the token I can jet to finish it or if they block the hoplite I could opt to sac my ascendancy to keep the creature on the board, depending on what I need. Magma Jet actually comes out in a lot of matchups (so would lightning strike), but I don't want to risk just getting wrecked by mono red (due to using 2-5 life per game in pain, before gaining it back somewhere) because I have lovely early spot removal and magma jet does that better than lightning strike because of the reasons above and red not having anything with more than 2 toughness. I don't need a bigger hedge against the heroic decks, I run 4 mainboard crackling doom along with tons of lifegain and they can't interact with me just flooding the board with creatures off of mardu ascendancy.

At one point I had both Bloodsoaked Champion and Foundry Street Denizens as a 4 of in the deck, and while sometimes those cards would overperform, neither of which hold up to a hordeling outburst worth a poo poo. Sure you can value grind out an outburst with 3 combat steps and 1B each one of those, but this doesn't help you end the game quickly and this is only if nothing else sees play that entire time. Foundry Street feels terrible to topdeck at any point really, and the fact that you could just lose a 10/1 to a goddamned elvish mystic is just goddamned insulting. There's also the part where you pretty much need a rabblemaster or mardu ascendancy to make the card worth anything, and with recent shifts of the deck, I've been using the ascendancy as an on-board combat trick that also does a hordeling outburst or two. I found myself sideboarding it out for more removal every game, and slowly removed all 4 from the deck While Bloodsoaked Champion has its' use in becoming lifelink fodder to the butcher, making the champion playable on turn 1 consistently is straining on your mana base when you're already heavily invested in red and white, and the value of doing so is minimal considering it can't get through anything abzan plays, or really any deck. So that just leaves you with the lifelink "trick" which is pretty bad. It didn't take long for me to cut these for really anything else. Akroan Hoplite was my 57-60 card slots originally going into this deck, but this card remarkably overperforms. You can stack the triggers of the ascendancy and hoplite to count the tokens from ascendancy, and this same trick works with goblin rabblemaster and ascendancy. The real difference between hoplite and denizen is three things, cost, the +1 toughness, and the fact creatures don't need to hit play this turn in order to trigger the +x/+0. Being able to sac a mardu ascendancy to keep your hoplite being blocked by a siege rhino is a pretty huge swing of tempo in your favor.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Xeom posted:

So I am sort of at a crossroads. I've been playing for about 4 months and I really like the game. I've been playing boss sligh which is obviously a really cheap deck.

But I wan't to take the next step and build a $100 deck. I am considering either continuing with my red deck and building something like (http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=8671&d=249576&f=ST), or switching to a UW heroic. Both decks seem really fun.

Depends what you're buying. If youre going from sligh to the Dezani list your big expenses are going to be the Sarkhans and the Ranblemasters. Remember that Ranblemaster and Chandra will only been in standard for another 9 months and the price will probably crater after that. Sarkhan you have over a year to play with during which time you probably won't see huge fluctuations in price.

That being said Rabblemaster is like the best creature in standard so it will be played in a viable deck for as long as it's legal.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
BOOM! Just won a GPT for GPVancouver, hello 2 byes!

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Tuned in to SCG open just in time to catch this Burn opponent punt to the freaking moon against Maverick. Maverick player has a Knight out with a +1/+1 counter, casts and equips Jitte, in response to which the burn player Fireblasts the Knight which the guy is able to respond to with an activation for a fetchland/wasteland, crack the land, and go up to 5/5 out of range.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Saeku posted:

How does this view reconcile with WotC short-printing MMA and FTVs, setting their MSRPs consistently below market value, and allocating them to stores based on tournament attendance? What's the point of the FTV allocation system if WotC doesn't do "retailer handjobs?"

That's all pretty minor and incidental to their key goal, keeping standard king because it makes them piles of money.

This thread loves to turn itself in circles about why WOTC did this or did that and loves to pretend they are just so BLIND to what would be good for magic. WOTC is happy to let Premium product provide a big boost to their retail partners, and they are happy premium products like Modern Masters are likely priced out of the hands of the average 12 year old playing at their kitchen table but that's not their primary motivation for doing things the way they do.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 8, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think that ten dollar packs of cards that people are going to buy every last one of doesn't need a complex explanation.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ciprian Maricon posted:

WOTC cares very little about retailer handjobs, the secondary market, new players feeling like they missed out or any of that.

Actually WotC cares very much about making new players feel like they can jump right in.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Actually WotC cares very much about making new players feel like they can jump right in.

Yes and standard being the de facto format of choice is a key part of that. Getting to play with their recent cards pretty much anywhere is far more important to making sure new players can jump right in. Naming the next modern reprints set Modern Masters 2015 so that people don't "feel left out" is a tiny concern by comparison.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 8, 2014

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Serperoth posted:

This looks crazy, have you any highlights from the earlier matches?

Nothing specific really, just overall very interesting to see what people have brewed for odd formats. There were plenty of tough interactions going on in the games in all five rounds, and plenty of player mistakes too thanks to unfamiliar formats and long tournament.

In BYOB Highlander a lot of people went for UW control, Ice Age - Worldwake - New Phyrexia was a pretty common mix. Several artifact based decks too, Scars of Mirrodin - Darksteel - Urza's Destiny for example. Decks here if you're interested.

In Manacost Modern Highlander most decks were unsurprisingly three colours at least partly, because you really start running out of options within just two colours. Esper Control, Junk Pod for value, Splinter Twin / Kiki-Jiki combo with URW were around at least.

It was interesting to see also what were the bids for the auction decks. You started with 8 starting cards and 25 life to bid with, cards trumping any amount of life in the auction:

Long 4/25
Flash Hulk 5/4
Jund 5/25
Broken Jar 5/10
Elves 5/9
Faeries 6/16
Trix 5/25
Academy 6/7
Affinity 6/5
Deadguy Red 5/5
Miracle Gro 5/9
The Deck 6/25
Dragonstorm 7/11
LauerPotence 8/25
ProsBloom 8/25
Caw Blade 8/25

Apparently Long.dec went 3-0, as did one of the 8/25 choices, but generally going down to 5 cards was pretty poisonous. One of the participants wrote about the decks here before weekend: http://www.gatheringmagic.com/maxsjoblom-120314-best-decks-through-history/

Top 4 in the end was pretty fun too. Higher seed chose the format from the three constructed formats to play first game with, loser of first game chose the format for the next second game from the two remaining formats.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 8, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Burrenton Forge-Tender is some pretty sick sideboard tech, yo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

I think that ten dollar packs of cards that people are going to buy every last one of doesn't need a complex explanation.

I'm more upset that drafting will cost $30, I suck at drafting but everyone was talking about how awesome MMA drafts were so if they can replicate it here it'll be the most expensive 0-2 drop(s) of my life. I'm a little better at Sealed but what crazy person would pay $60 to do that?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

C-Euro posted:

I'm more upset that drafting will cost $30, I suck at drafting but everyone was talking about how awesome MMA drafts were so if they can replicate it here it'll be the most expensive 0-2 drop(s) of my life. I'm a little better at Sealed but what crazy person would pay $60 to do that?

At least it won't be that much on MTGO? I don't think I could justify spending $30 on a draft ever, I guess it depends on how many prize packs would be involved and whether or not I could put them towards future drafts I guess. I'll probably do a few drafts online though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Tuned in to SCG open just in time to catch this Burn opponent punt to the freaking moon against Maverick. Maverick player has a Knight out with a +1/+1 counter, casts and equips Jitte, in response to which the burn player Fireblasts the Knight which the guy is able to respond to with an activation for a fetchland/wasteland, crack the land, and go up to 5/5 out of range.
That wasn't a punt. Its almost impossible for a burn (anyone really) player to beat a jitte, fireblasting the Knight tapped it out and prevented jitte counters. It was a situation where the burn player was pretty doomed and neither option was good.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Xeom posted:

Right now I feel like U/W Heroic is better positioned against the current meta spike of Whip decks, since you don't care about Courser and can punch through Siege Rhino's life drain just fine. Whip being a terrible matchup for Mardu also means your worst matchup is being driven out. Who knows what Fate Reforged will bring though, if pure control decks come back in a bigger way, RDW might be very strong.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

With the threat density of current decks I can't even imagine what would need to be printed for pure control decks to rise up again. It's probably not happening at all during this Standard.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
How much would a Modern Masters 20XX box hypothetically run you?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

BOOM! Just won a GPT for GPVancouver, hello 2 byes!

Awesome man. Congratulations.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Alris posted:

How much would a Modern Masters 20XX box hypothetically run you?

Really depends. Last set I sold a bunch in SA Mart for somewhere around 250 I think?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

JerryLee posted:

They should at least have given the opportunity of doing drafts that were collated properly, even if they didn't want to offer packs of Prophecy in the store.

Like, you join a draft with three packs of Masques Block, but the actual draft is Masques-Nem-Prophecy.

That's what they did. I'm not sure when they started doing it, but for at least a year now, when Alara or Masques drafts are offered, you get the proper three pack format and can enter the event with either the normal boosters or the combined ones.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Deckit posted:

Awesome man. Congratulations.

Thanks! It was modern, I ended up going through R/W/U Control, ScapeShift, And TarmoTwin in the top 8 with Bogles.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

with Bogles.

on behalf of UWR players everywhere let me officially congratulate you on being the literal devil

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

C-Euro posted:

When the spoiler is out just proxy up a mm15 Cube and draft that directly with your friends, it'll rule. A buddy of mine did the same for mma1 and we drafted it like a dozen times, poo poo was great.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Wadjamaloo posted:

That wasn't a punt. Its almost impossible for a burn (anyone really) player to beat a jitte, fireblasting the Knight tapped it out and prevented jitte counters. It was a situation where the burn player was pretty doomed and neither option was good.

If he cast/equipped the Jitte that turn, wouldn't you want to save the fireblast to respond to the attack and before damage, so the Knight is already tapped and can't do the trick it did? And if it doesn't attack, fireblast in response to the activation of the ability later in the turn or next turn or something.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

a dozen swans posted:

When the spoiler is out just proxy up a mm15 Cube and draft that directly with your friends, it'll rule. A buddy of mine did the same for mma1 and we drafted it like a dozen times, poo poo was great.

This sounds super cool. but how do you decide how many of each card to proxy? Do you just straight run one copy of each card?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheKingofSprings posted:

on behalf of UWR players everywhere let me officially congratulate you on being the literal devil

My opponents deck was completely foiled out too (snaps, geists, cryptics, fetches, everything!) but he couldn't stop ol Mugsy Bogles, and me singing "hold me closer spiritdancer"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Dungeon Ecology posted:

This sounds super cool. but how do you decide how many of each card to proxy? Do you just straight run one copy of each card?

One of each mythic, two of each rare, I guess three of each uncommon and six of each common?

You won't be exactly mimicking what a real draft looks like since you don't know what the print runs are, you just want enough copies of a card that the odds of getting multiples of a card work out to about the same.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Archenteron posted:

If he cast/equipped the Jitte that turn, wouldn't you want to save the fireblast to respond to the attack and before damage, so the Knight is already tapped and can't do the trick it did? And if it doesn't attack, fireblast in response to the activation of the ability later in the turn or next turn or something.

Correct, that would be the best way to do it.

Jabor posted:

One of each mythic, two of each rare, I guess three of each uncommon and six of each common?

You won't be exactly mimicking what a real draft looks like since you don't know what the print runs are, you just want enough copies of a card that the odds of getting multiples of a card work out to about the same.

There are now so many print runs that emulating them is not a serious concern for cubing, the bigger problem is creating packs with exactly one rare and three uncommons. That's something you could hypothetically do as part of pack creation, but I don't know anyone who's that obsessed with cube accuracy anyway.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Very interesting! I am liking akroan hoplite even more, I'm just realizing the power of the card with hordeling outburst, ascendancy and rabblemaster running around. What do you say was your worst match-ups and how did you sideboard against certain matchups like abzan, jeskai etc? I am going to playtest this until sunday and give it a go, it looks like a great brew.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Modern Masters is 10 dollars a pack because it will help make sure standard remains the most accessible and popular format first and foremost.

I'm sure that's why they're organizing a huge multi-event, across the world, all featuring Modern Masters and Modern Masters side events and whatnot.

Of course Standard will be more accessible, but if they didn't want Modern to be a thing, they wouldn't make it at all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

On behalf of everyone who's just trying to play creatures and resolve spells, ditto.

But seriously I hate playing against both of those decks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Wadjamaloo posted:

He could have waited until his opponent went to combat and possibly attacked (since he cast and equipped Jitte pre-combat, it seemed somewhat likely he wasn't playing around Fireblast and may have attacked) which would have resulted in his Fireblast actually killing the Knight. And if the Maverick player did respect the possibility of Fireblast, he would have not attacked in which case the Burn player could sit and do nothing and Jitte would be a non-factor. Proactively killing the Knight before seeing if any of those other lines took place seems to have been the worst choice out of those other options.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 8, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It goes to show how Burn has a lot of tricky lines that come up, even though the deck itself is not too complicated. I'd say Burn, like Dredge, is a deck where it's really crucial to understand your opponent's deck in order to succeed.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Archenteron posted:

Fireblasting in response to the activation wouldn't have done anything because the land is sacrificed as a cost rather than as part of the effect. He really needed his opponent to attack there OR to be in a position where he could realistically win by taking advantage of the extra turn before Jitte became active. Fireblasting there was, as MiddleEastBeast says, pretty clearly the worst of the 3 options.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

LGD posted:

Fireblasting in response to the activation wouldn't have done anything because the land is sacrificed as a cost rather than as part of the effect. He really needed his opponent to attack there OR to be in a position where he could realistically win by taking advantage of the extra turn before Jitte became active. Fireblasting there was, as MiddleEastBeast says, pretty clearly the worst of the 3 options.

Well, the sacrificed land only gets the Knight up to 4 in the example. The ability needs to resolve and then the found land needs to be put into the graveyard to get it out of Fireblast range.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So after cracking $80 of card and steamrolling 2HG sealed yesterday, I've just been given a sweet new job so can afford to go to Utrecht in May!

If any other Euro goons where thinking of going but where unsure, it's an absolutely cracking city and you can do dismally in the main event day one and about six limited side events and still have an amazing time. I also mean to visit Amsterdam properly this time, pretty much just shot through the airport for the last GP.

How are byes handled for limited GPs? Do you have to register pools and decks with everyone else or are there separate deck building sessions for the first 4 round?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Oh, I think I misread the situation. I was playing skyrim on the other monitor when it happened. I thought the player had an untapped wasteland already in play to save knight anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

My opponents deck was completely foiled out too (snaps, geists, cryptics, fetches, everything!) but he couldn't stop ol Mugsy Bogles, and me singing "hold me closer spiritdancer"

Time to get some alters done.

• Locked thread