Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Browsing salvage auctions.

Driver probably lived, but he's never having kids again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
How's that saying go? "Mopar and No Kids"?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chevy had the rock crusher, here mopar gave us the nut crusher.

found this on copart, i desperately need higher detail images. It was jaw droppingly bad until i got to the last image, now i can't stop laughing.

:nws: yet totally rad paint: http://copart.com/c2/classic_auction_search_results.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e6s1&lotId=27124814&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
That is amazing. It's like driving a rap video made of metal album covers.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I'm terrible car stuff. I left my GTI at the airport for a week with the lights on. Of course I came home to a completely dead battery that no longer holds a charge. It was just over a year old, too. :(

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

smax posted:

I'm terrible car stuff. I left my GTI at the airport for a week with the lights on. Of course I came home to a completely dead battery that no longer holds a charge. It was just over a year old, too. :(

Warranty?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Like anybody ever keeps the receipt for their car battery.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

If it's like a 3 or 5 year warranty, and it's a year old, it's probably still been fewer than X years since it was produced. Don't these usually have a date code, or a sticker thing for coding manufacture date? Mine have.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 24, 2019

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
It's me, I'm the terrible car stuff! I haven't replaced my blades in two years...I guess I'd better order some so I don't die.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Extra posted:

People who enact warranties because of their own idiocy.

I flat battery should be able to at least recharge and hold a charge if it's relatively new, correct?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I do, because nothing gives me a bigger grin than watching the Canadian Tire parts weasel try to find a reason to worm out of a receipt he himself signed off on, and then failing when his manager appears and yells at him.

Usually I buy my batteries from Affordable, which can sell you 'factory seconds' (usually with blemished labels or whatever) for a lot less than the retail price. Had some great performance out of them over the years, but they're pretty far away compared to CTC when you've just come out to see a dead battery.

angryhampster posted:

I flat battery should be able to at least recharge and hold a charge if it's relatively new, correct?
Unless it's sulphated or you blew a cell. You can really dog-gently caress a lead acid battery with a long term vampire drain in cold weather. My rule of thumb is that if you don't see it leaking blue poo poo you can probably bring it back with a desulphation charger, but otherwise it's only good enough to charge it enough to drive to the store to buy a new one.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 7, 2014

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

angryhampster posted:

I work at a parts store, where batteries are hawked all day long. Under a year, it's very rare for a battery to be defective/bad. Regardless of the make, most will come back to life after a recharge. After a year, it's a crap shoot. Heat is the biggest factor, I'm in South FL so batteries only go for 2-3 years in ideal conditions anyway. Up North they last a bit longer but the vehicles also have higher demands in the cold.

FuzzKill fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 7, 2014

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thats surprising, Ive ruined a few batteries by running them down. Last one was in my Subie when I didnt drive it for a month or so and didnt know that the GPS was on. It was only a year old and wont take a charge anymore.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Jonny Nox posted:

Ok so look: I maintain that despite their reputation, Calgary drivers are no worse than you will find anywhere else but drat if this lady isn't making it hard for me to defend that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcsW48HHXM

She loving hit&ran that red car, too. :argh:

I hope she accidentally follows her gps off a bridge into a lake, which is likely based on how bad a driver she is, holy gently caress!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kastein posted:

She loving hit&ran that red car, too. :argh:

I hope she accidentally follows her gps off a bridge into a lake, which is likely based on how bad a driver she is, holy gently caress!

chances are this is her first winter driving in canada. it's supposed to melt and get super slushy in the next few days, so that BMW probably won't live to see 2015.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Powershift posted:

chances are this is her first winter driving in canada. it's supposed to melt and get super slushy in the next few days, so that BMW probably won't live to see 2015.

Can't blame snow for any of that though, that's just a fundamental misunderstanding of geometry.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MrYenko posted:

You get new tires when you can't see the wear bars anymore, right?

:iamafag:

gently caress no!

actually yes. if you can see Lincoln's haircut you need new tires. I was just super broke when I got that flat.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I get the Goodyear blades from costco. They have buy one get one free sales pretty regularly, enough that I usually have a set for one car and then the other about the same time they need to be replaced. They only cost $8 and work well enough/long enough for me to be happy.
yes! I stock up when they're on sale. I buy them for all the women in my life, because God knows they sure as poo poo won't.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 7, 2014

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Powershift posted:

Chevy had the rock crusher, here mopar gave us the nut crusher.

found this on copart, i desperately need higher detail images. It was jaw droppingly bad until i got to the last image, now i can't stop laughing.

:nws: yet totally rad paint: http://copart.com/c2/classic_auction_search_results.html?_eventId=getLot&execution=e6s1&lotId=27124814&returnPage=SEARCH_RESULTS

You know what's worse? Look at the engine bay photo. They removed the air box for the HVAC. It now has no blower (which would be at the end of the box under the fender) and is pulling air from the engine bay. It's got no fan, but t will still allow heat and smells in from the engine.
I know it's a convertible, but you still need defroster, vent, and heat occasionally.
And yeah, that paint. Poor '69 Cutlass.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Oh the wiper blade derail is over? drat I was going to bust this out:
Post Terrible Wiper Blade Stuff ITT

also this thing's probably been around but...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tommychu posted:

Usually complemented by...

Led washer nozzles

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tommychu posted:

Those are remarkably inexpensive for what look like billet aluminum cnc milled anodized gimmicky double wiper blades.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Safety Dance posted:

Those are remarkably inexpensive for what look like billet aluminum cnc milled anodized gimmicky double wiper blades.

It's definitely painted plastic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jamal posted:

It's definitely painted plastic.

I know at least one company makes metal ones, I saw them when part searching for the Civic. Like $100 for a set.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sappo569 posted:

Usually complemented by...

Led washer nozzles
You look like a wanker.
You drive like a wanker.
But how does everyone know you're a wanker?
Wanker lights!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tommychu posted:

One good pothole and it's over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Kingdom posted:

One good pebble and it's over.

A little more likely.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Mister Kingdom posted:

One good pothole and it's over.

Which end over? And how many vehicles would be listed on that accident report?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Tommychu posted:

I refuse to believe that's not a photoshop.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's that a prius and a Baja? How's it driven? If it's prius-driven where's the battery? (Normally under the rear seats)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh fun. The previous owner on my Jeep was an absolute fuckhead.

The last time I had to fix battery terminals, it was in the parking lot at Georgia Tech in the rain. I guess a parking garage when the air temperature is right around freezing is a slight improvement. Gonna have to find one of kastein's 500 posts on how to properly terminate a battery cable. The negative terminal is in good shape and appears to be OEM.

Further evidence of fuckery: the drat oil filter. I couldn't get it off for the life of me yesterday, so I ordered an oil filter wrench from Amazon so it would be delivered today.

This doesn't quite do how much I had to destroy the filter to get it off justice. I probably punctured the filter's skin in two or three places. Had to remove the battery, one of the grill supports, and the air intake hose to get leverage on that fucker.

Off to go dispose of used motor oil in an environmentally sound manner!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Safety Dance posted:

Off to go dispose of used motor oil in an environmentally sound manner!
Down the storm water drain?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm gonna find a box of kittens and pour it on them.

No, for real, Advance Auto is open for another three hours.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Safety Dance posted:

Oil filter stuff

Aside from not tightening it too much (spin til the gasket touches, then 1/4 to 1/2 turn past that, is all you need), make sure you lube the new gasket with oil. If it goes on dry, the heat and pressure will sort of melt the very surface of the gasket and mold it into the metal, which is how it sticks so bad. I've had a few where the gasket was so stuck that even once the filter started turning, I was having to drag it across the gasket to get it all the way off.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Jonny Nox posted:

Ok so look: I maintain that despite their reputation, Calgary drivers are no worse than you will find anywhere else but drat if this lady isn't making it hard for me to defend that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcsW48HHXM

I felt really disappointed after I realized that Daletech did not, in fact, record this

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I'd already had the battery replaced under warranty. Basically, the battery that came with the car lasted 2.5 years before crapping out, and it had a 2-year warranty from the factory. The dealership decided to comp it anyway, but with the understanding that the replacement would only carry a 1-year warranty (it would have been 3 or 5 if I had bought it).

Anyway, new battery, new warranty. Oh well.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

It took me a second to realize that truck had not been in a fire. Goddamn.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Boat posted:

It took me a second to realize that truck had not been in a fire. Goddamn.

Well, fire is just rapid oxidation, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Sometimes it's the simple things.