Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

GrimGypsy posted:

Can anyone tell me what the stinger thingy was post-event? I was there live and missed whatever was streamed after the finish :(

It shows a rural area where there's a big storm brewing. This middle-aged Jewish guy is skyping with his nagging mother while he's talking about how he's going to be a millionaire for inventing "the Rogaine of corn" or whatever. There's a huge lightning bolt outside and against his mother's wishes, he goes to investigate. He comes back with a bucket, excitedly talking about how the bolt left a huge crater with something in there. A knockoff of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" starts playing as he reaches into the bucket and pulls out a literal frog wearing a yellow cape. He holds it up and says, "Ma, have you ever seen anything like this before?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Gavok posted:

It shows a rural area where there's a big storm brewing. This middle-aged Jewish guy is skyping with his nagging mother while he's talking about how he's going to be a millionaire for inventing "the Rogaine of corn" or whatever. There's a huge lightning bolt outside and against his mother's wishes, he goes to investigate. He comes back with a bucket, excitedly talking about how the bolt left a huge crater with something in there. A knockoff of AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" starts playing as he reaches into the bucket and pulls out a literal frog wearing a yellow cape. He holds it up and says, "Ma, have you ever seen anything like this before?"

So I take it Estonian Thunderfrog has been reborn and will be back to play a major role in Chikara next year? If so, I'm already looking forward to the vignettes before the new season in which he grows from a frog to a toad to Gamabunta.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Germansimp posted:

So I take it Estonian Thunderfrog has been reborn and will be back to play a major role in Chikara next year? If so, I'm already looking forward to the vignettes before the new season in which he grows from a frog to a toad to Gamabunta.

Hopefully whatever they're planning will be a break from anti-Chikara forces invading Chikara, because that's getting a little old.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

shame about all those other wrestlers who Actually Died

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Somewhere a high school tuba player in Iowa is investigating a smoking crater and pulling out Archie's hat.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CombineThresher posted:

Hopefully whatever they're planning will be a break from anti-Chikara forces invading Chikara, because that's getting a little old.

I figure after Deucalion being taken out last night, the Flood will just be disbanded and will live on as a bunch of scattered heels. Just a group of trios, tag teams and solo acts who aren't connected anymore. The only one really affected by this is Volgar, but nobody cares about him and he can always just join the BDK and maybe tag with Nokken.

oatgan posted:

shame about all those other wrestlers who Actually Died

I like that all the deaths in the last year or so have just been a big spring cleaning for Chikara.

Dragon Dragon: The joke's run its course.
Darkness Crabtree: Another joke that's run its course.
Private Eye Jr.: Never actually wrestled, so it doesn't matter.
Kobald: Apparently needed surgery. Don't know if he'll be back. Either way, the gimmick didn't work all that well as a face.
deviANT: Generic "he's an ant, but EVIL" gimmick is obsolete thanks to XTREME Force and Soldier Ant. I'm sure whoever was under the mask has a new gimmick by now.
Tursas: Only seemed to come in as a favor, since he's been done with wrestling. Put over some dudes and gave Nokken a rub.
Estonian Thnderfrog: Needed hip surgery. Was never going to stay dead.
Latvian Proud Oak: Unnecessary without Thunderfrog around.
Equinox/CAW: Only had a couple matches, so it was no big loss. Used to build up Kid Cyclone and his angry handsomeness.
Archibald Peck: Nothing really left to be said with the character and also that ROH embargo.
Shard: Awesome wrestler, but he has no personality and the "evil Jigsaw" gimmick is completely pointless at this juncture when he's neither feuding with nor teaming with him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So how did the Icarus/Deucalion match shake out, anyway? If they were gonna have Deucalion do the job, why was it non-title?

Also for some reason the names Estonian Thunderfrog and Latvian Proud Oak and wacky poo poo like that makes me irrationally angry. Is it supposed to be funny?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sounds like a personal problem

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

epitasis posted:

sounds like a personal problem

Not saying it's not but someone explain it to me. Is it supposed to be funny? Is that what they're going for?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Chikara is very serious.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So how did the Icarus/Deucalion match shake out, anyway? If they were gonna have Deucalion do the job, why was it non-title?

I want to know too! What happened?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dangerous Person posted:

Chikara is very serious.

Sorry but "Estonian Thunderfrog" is basically the epitome of monkeycheese bullshit to me. And it's not an anti-Chikara thing, I think some of the comedy stuff they do is honestly funny. But anything that's just a wacky name rather than something that can actually be some kind of gimmick just doesn't register on my comedy radar I guess,

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Not saying it's not but someone explain it to me. Is it supposed to be funny? Is that what they're going for?

The Estonian Thunderfrog is a frog with thunder powers who is from the nation of Estonia. The Latvian Proud Oak is a tree from Latvia with a strong sense of personal pride. Hope that helps.

E: also they're based on comic book characters.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

E: also they're based on comic book characters.

Thaaaat explains it. Okay then.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Sorry but "Estonian Thunderfrog" is basically the epitome of monkeycheese bullshit to me. And it's not an anti-Chikara thing, I think some of the comedy stuff they do is honestly funny. But anything that's just a wacky name rather than something that can actually be some kind of gimmick just doesn't register on my comedy radar I guess,

How are you not aware of Thor?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

rotinaj posted:

I want to know too! What happened?

Deucalion took off all his cool Bane gear so that he was just dressed in black pants, looking like Corporate Kane. Icarus came out with Thunderfrog's hammer, showing that he's "worthy," but leaves it outside the cage. Icarus spends a lot of the match working Deucalion's choking arm. He goes for several spears, but it takes a while for them to take effect. Otherwise, Deucalion dominates, though Icarus was able to hit him with a Blu-Ray into the cage. Barely even a two-count. Over time, the other Chikara guys walk out to show support.

Towards the end, Icarus climbs up the cage and demands Deucalion follow him up there, calling him a coward. Deucalion climbs up there, they brawl and Icarus does a hurricanrana off the cage. Deucalion kicks out and gets up first. Icarus climbs again, but this time Deucalion grabs him by the throat for the choke-breaker. Icarus reverses it into the Chikara Special and Deucalion taps out.

As Icarus celebrates, Deucalion calls for the Flood. They walk out, but Jacobs tells them not to go. He sees that Icarus has the hammer, so he tells Deucalion, "You made your bed, now die in it!" Icarus hits Deucalion with the hammer off the top and the show ends.

It was non-title because in Chikara you need to win three singles matches in a row to get a title shot and this was Deucalion's first singles match.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
So who joins up with Condron? We've already got Snow Troll it seems and I wouldn't be surprised to see Jigsaw and 17 either.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I really want Kobald to come back. Dude is a lovely evil goblin, but a cool dude. He used to FB message me about stuff asking for my opinion about random wrestling stuff.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

While I'm at it, here's the rest of the results for those who skipped the show but are curious:

- Heidi Lovelace vs. Missile Assault Ant was the pre-show. The rest of the Colony XTREME Force was at ringside, but Heidi still won cleanly and won the Young Lions Cup. She broke down in the ring, which got really awkward when Gavin Loudspeaker came into the ring to hype up the iPPV while ignoring her.

- Ashley Remington vs. Juan Francisco de Coronado was really good. Juan Francisco came out with two women wearing completely ridiculous, colorful conquistador outfits. Ashley then came out with four women. Juan Francisco hit a couple German suplexes, including onto the apron, but couldn't put him away. Ashley eventually won and gave him a fruit basket. Juan Francisco left it in the ring and walked off in a huff.

- Eddie Kingston vs. Jimmy Jacobs with Volgar and Snow Troll in Jacobs' corner. Solid match with Kingston winning with two backfists. After the match, Kid Cyclone appeared and hit Kingston with a wrench. He cut a promo about how he didn't want any of this, but he did what was expected of him. Like how it was expected that he'd wear this mask and maybe lose it down the line as a sting to his pride. Instead, he removed his mask and started calling himself by his real name Kevin Konrick. Pulled off a good promo and then yelled at Jacobs, who was beginning to come to, to get him his cape. Jacobs did that and Konrick just discarded it. He then freed Snow Troll and handed him the wrench. Snow Troll wandered away, confused.

- Throwbacks vs. Devastation Corporation was the match of the night, easily. First fall came from DevCorp hitting the Death Blow on Touchdown. Second fall, they hit it on Dasher, but when Smashmaster went for the pin, Touchdown rolled him up. Third round, another Death Blow was hit on Dasher, but he kicked out. Throwbacks seemed to have it in the bag, but Bakabella interfered. Touchdown grabbed him by the hair and it came off, showing that Bakabella is completely bald. DevCorp then took out Touchdown with a new finisher called the Master Blaster.

- UltraMantis vs. Delirious had the crowd booing the whole "loser leaves" rule. Delirious looked awesome with with all this dirty, green body paint. The two kept going for Preying Mantis Bombs again and again. Delirious also broke UltraMantis' staff across UltraMantis' ribs. UltraMantis finally won. Hallowicked and Frightmare came out to celebrate. Then Delirious pulled out the Eye of Tyr and used it to make Hallowicked and Frightmare lay out UltraMantis. Delirious then laughed at UltraMantis and walked away.

- The Cibernetico mostly had the faces dominant unless Soldier Ant was in the match. He took out at least half of the faces and, as someone pointed out in the iPPV thread, wrestles like a Terminator. He's very precise and no-sells most offense. Final two were Fire Ant and Soldier Ant after spending the match teasing the showdown. Soldier destroyed Fire Ant and Fire didn't really seem to want to fight back all that much. Soldier won and then marched off alone.

During the intermission, Chuck Taylor came out to ask Quack for a title shot against Icarus as the next show in January, which was granted.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

rotinaj posted:

How are you not aware of Thor?

Well, to be completely accurate, there has been a Frog Thor who was actually Thor and there has been a Frog Thor who was not actually Thor. The former was Thor ensorcelled by Loki, the latter was a human transformed by a gypsy into a frog who found a tiny sliver of Thor's hammer and turned out to be worthy.

And when Thor, who had been a frog and had then been Frog Thor but got better, found out about the Second Frog With The Power Of Thor, he was completely cool with the concept.

Why is this third Frog of Thunder from Estonia? Maybe Quack likes Eurovision.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The whole Bloc Party/Baltic Siege seems to rely way too heavily on "look at the wacky foreigners with their CRAAAAZY passports" schtick

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Wow crazy foreigners in wrestling drat too wild for me to wrap my head around

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LobsterMobster posted:

The whole Bloc Party/Baltic Siege seems to rely way too heavily on "look at the wacky foreigners with their CRAAAAZY passports" schtick

Yeah it was kind of a random thing for the company to suddenly devote multiple gimmicks to, but it's still a nice touch of the wackiness that I've missed from Chikara. This self-serious comic book wrestling identity they've been working through is interesting, and I still like it, but I really just want Player Uno kicking a Koopa Shell into Max Boyer's knee.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I appreciate the effort to teach kids about post-soviet geography.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
During the first fall of the Throwbacks/Destruction match, Bakabella had Dasher by the leg so he couldn't break up the fall.

That was definitely match of the night.

honeymustard
Dec 19, 2008

Shut up cunt.
I just bought a ticket to the London show. Anyone here going?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Bryce and LFC talking about how much they loved Ben DeLaCreme was the greatest thing on the show for me. :allears:

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Someone has bought me a ticket to go see Chikara in London, obviously knowing my love and respect for the promotion and it's high quality product.

Quick question: Are there still ants on the roster?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Skinty McEdger posted:

Someone has bought me a ticket to go see Chikara in London, obviously knowing my love and respect for the promotion and it's high quality product.

Yes

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Skinty McEdger posted:

Eight of them at this point?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

My levels of anticipation for this show have now reached levels I did not know were possible.

I will say that if anyone is looking to go to the Cardiff show that the promotion they're co-promoting with has some pretty good young talent that I honestly think deserve to be better showcased. Hopefully this will help.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If thunder frog is coming bag, I hope he gets another chance to be new hardscores champ.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
I genuinely worry about the UK shows. CHIKARA's promotional partner Fight Club: PRO has a lot of enemies that could tip off UK customs that the wrestlers are coming over. Just hope CHIKARA gets the guys work visas.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Rovert do you know who Chikara's partnering with in London, as everyone I've asked from the decent London promotions seem to know nothing about it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Skinty McEdger posted:

Rovert do you know who Chikara's partnering with in London, as everyone I've asked from the decent London promotions seem to know nothing about it.

Yeah I don't know either. It was PROGRESS's old building obviously.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

rovert posted:

I genuinely worry about the UK shows. CHIKARA's promotional partner Fight Club: PRO has a lot of enemies that could tip off UK customs that the wrestlers are coming over. Just hope CHIKARA gets the guys work visas.

They're probably not on twitter, though.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Capsaicin posted:

Eight of them at this point?

Seven.

The Colony:
Fire Ant - speedy occasional high-flyer
Silver Ant - submissions expert
Worker Ant - tubby brawler

The Colony Xtreme Force:
Arctic Rescue Ant - snowboard enthusiast
Orbit Adventure Ant - from outer space
Missile Assault Ant - MISSILE! ASSAULT! ANT!

Soldier Ant - brainwashed cyborg terminator

There were two other ants-- DeviANT and CombatANT, but CombatANT hasn't been seen since National Pro Wrestling Day in February and was still wearing a neck brace, and DeviANT done got murdered by Deucalion back in June.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I got tickets to the London show due to it being mentioned in this thread. Thanks, goons!

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

There's a London show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

There's a London show?

They're touring the UK next year, April 3rd through the 6th. Two shows in Wolverhampton, one in Cardiff, and one in London.

http://www.chikaratix.com

• Locked thread