Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

I like my iPhone 6. The screen size is good and I was a skeptic coming in.
This. I thought the 5 had the perfect form factor. I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kobayashi posted:

I really don't understand Photo Stream. I take a lot of screenshots for my job. iOS 8 has been great because I can AirDrop them to my computer and then delete them from my phone. I get the "photo will also be removed from Photo Stream" warning and tap OK. But, when I fire up iPhoto, which I do once every other week or so, it still pulls down the old photos. They do not show up in the iCloud Shared (Photo Stream) album, but in the auto-created, local monthly Photo Stream album. It's annoying to have to go in and clean out the poo poo that I don't need twice.

Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Library are two different things. iPhoto is still running the legacy photo stream. The application that will replace it (Photos) doesn't come out until next year. This upcoming app will be in sync and play nice with iCloud Photo Library.

The decision to release iCloud Photo Library (even in beta) while there isn't any way to really manage it on a Mac or PC is loving stupid as all hell.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I've had a 6 for a couple months now and still think it's too big.

Really wish they just put the A8 into a 5/5s phone and called it the 5sx or something.

I still like the phone a lot, but miss being able to do everything one-handed.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
While I love the overall design of the 6 and think the larger screen is glorious, I'm still not sold that it's the "perfect" size because it's still pretty unwieldy to use one handed, and I'm a 6'3" guy with big "palm a basketball" size hands.

That said, the pros definitely outweigh the cons and 85% of the time I'm using it it's not an issue, but where I could easily hold and navigate anywhere with the 5, the 6 is a bit of a struggle sometimes.

Anyone who tells you the 6+ is the perfect size is obviously just in denial about their huge goofy rear end tablet phone though, that's for sure.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Anyone who tells you the 6+ is the perfect size is obviously just in denial about their huge goofy rear end tablet phone though, that's for sure.

I have tiny hands "most girls who complain about their small hands are surprised when we compare and have the same size hands" and i love my 6+. My wifes 6 in comparison seems laughably small to me in comparison. I was really unsure about getting the 6+ when i ordered it but im so glad i did. Its phenomenal.

I sold my old 5 a few weeks back and literally laughed when i picked it up because it felt like a childs toy.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Whirlwind Jones posted:

While I love the overall design of the 6 and think the larger screen is glorious, I'm still not sold that it's the "perfect" size because it's still pretty unwieldy to use one handed, and I'm a 6'3" guy with big "palm a basketball" size hands.

That said, the pros definitely outweigh the cons and 85% of the time I'm using it it's not an issue, but where I could easily hold and navigate anywhere with the 5, the 6 is a bit of a struggle sometimes.

If they got rid of the huge bezels it would be the perfect size like the 2013 Moto X.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it's silly to laugh at the old phones. I picked up a used iphone 4 to test software on and I still admire it. I'm just glad to have the bigger screen on my new stupidly thin phone.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I like my 6+ a lot. It isn't perfect for everything but I watch a lot of HD video with it and I'm a big fan of the 5.5" screen and 1080p resolution (aka 2207^2)

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fleshweasel posted:

I think it's silly to laugh at the old phones. I picked up a used iphone 4 to test software on and I still admire it. I'm just glad to have the bigger screen on my new stupidly thin phone.
I actually love the size and design of the older phones and don't think they're "laughable" or "seem like toys" at all, but I do get an odd sense of claustrophobia when I use them with regards to the screen real estate. The 4/4S especially.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

fleshweasel posted:

Dont get me wrong. My first was a 4 and i loved it. Once i got a 5 the 4 seemed slow and sillly to me in comparison. Now that im on the 6+ the 5 seems equally silly to me. They were great phones while i had them, but now that i have something better id hate to go back.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I hope Apple gets the new Photos app for Mac right. Using iPhoto in conjunction with Photo Stream on iOS is so loving frustrating with things that stay saved on the Mac end despite having been deleted from the phone (and ostensibly the Photo Stream) on iOS.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

So a few months in, how is everyone liking their iPhones 6? I have an upgrade available at the start of February, although I had gotten a warranty replacement iPhone 5 back in September and was planning to just hold out for the 6S. That said, I'm mulling going ahead and upgrading, both to get on a cheaper single-line plan and to maximize resale/trade value of my 5.

I have a 6 and I Love it. It's fast, screen is good for video, size is fine, battery life is fantastic. Decent amount of use today and I'm at 28% from 830am to 11:15pm.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

illcendiary posted:

I hope Apple gets the new Photos app for Mac right. Using iPhoto in conjunction with Photo Stream on iOS is so loving frustrating with things that stay saved on the Mac end despite having been deleted from the phone (and ostensibly the Photo Stream) on iOS.
The problem lies more in the horrible disjointed philosophy Apple has had with regards to PhotoStream and now iCloud Photo Library (which are essentially the same thing but different implementations).

Basically the entire iCloud ecosystem is a disjointed mess of a bunch of different ideas and they've never bothered to unify it or work towards getting it seamless. I'm excited for the OSX Photos app but I have no real feeling that it'll fix anything with regards to iCloud.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
My main concern about the upcoming Photos app is how it handles locally stored stuff. Is there any word on this? iPhoto and Photostream are a mess right now but I kinda like that iPhoto'll just suck in everything and keep it safe somewhere I can back up. Tighter integration with the cloud is cool and all but if things aren't permanently saved to my machine, I'm not sure I trust Apple enough not to mess something up (or trust myself not to absent mindedly delete a photo from my phone and find that it's been deleted everywhere).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I've got an 5c and the camera keeps freezing every single time I try and use the back-facing camera. It either freezes entirely, or a solid purple line covers up 4/5ths of the screen and then it freezes, too. Is there a fix to this? Resetting the phone and closing the app doesn't fix this at all. I don't have a case over it. Phone has never been dropped. The camera is just non-functional. Should I take it to get repairs?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Flameingblack posted:

take it to get repairs

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sounds like normal behavior to me.

edit: It is obviously broken, take it back to Apple.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I've got an 5c and the camera keeps freezing every single time I try and use the back-facing camera. It either freezes entirely, or a solid purple line covers up 4/5ths of the screen and then it freezes, too. Is there a fix to this? Resetting the phone and closing the app doesn't fix this at all. I don't have a case over it. Phone has never been dropped. The camera is just non-functional. Should I take it to get repairs?

Sounds like a bad camera module (had similar symptoms on my 5 after a screen repair). Take it in.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I think the photostream stuff works fine on windows. It just stuffs Everything in a folder. I wish it worked like that on OSx instead of using iphoto.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Am I the only one who hates the loving awful new location of the off button on the iphone 6? As a right-handed user any time I'm using the camera that damned button is right under my thumb with all the phone's weight on it and I've lost track of the number of times I've accidentally shut off the phone in the middle of recording or photographing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Have you considered turning the phone so it is on top? Alternatively, stop recording videos in portrait.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered turning the phone so it is on top? Alternatively, stop recording videos in portrait.

Seriously. If you're doing anything kind of video in portrait you need to be shot.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

It can be annoying, especially if you want to use volume up as the "take picture" button since you need to squeeze and my thumb naturally lines up with the power button.

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..
I like that it's easy to press while holding. However, I constantly press power instead of the volume button when I'm listening to a podcast with the phone in my pocket.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Stop and think about how the phone's weight could be on a side button if I were holding it vertically. It couldn't. Seriously, your awesome username is the only thing keeping me from virtually cockpunching you for accusing me of being stupid enough to record vertical videos.

As for flipping the phone 180 degrees, it makes it impossible to use the volume button as the shutter button, and instead I have to try to hit the red dot on the screen with the same hand that is holding the phone (or with my left hand angled funny so as not to obscure the screen, but then again we've lost one handed operation).

Edit for lovely illustration:

Diametrically opposing the shutter and off buttons is beyond :psyduck: to me and I'm shocked Apple did it, but since nobody else seems to know what I'm talking about maybe I'm nuts.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 9, 2014

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Stop and think about how the phone's weight could be on a side button if I were holding it vertically. It couldn't. Seriously, your awesome username is the only thing keeping me from virtually cockpunching you for accusing me of being stupid enough to record vertical videos.

As for flipping the phone 180 degrees, it makes it impossible to use the volume button as the shutter button, and instead I have to try to hit the red dot on the screen with the same hand that is holding the phone (or with my left hand angled funny so as not to obscure the screen, but then again we've lost one handed operation).

Edit for lovely illustration:

Diametrically opposing the shutter and off buttons is beyond :psyduck: to me and I'm shocked Apple did it, but since nobody else seems to know what I'm talking about maybe I'm nuts.

Maybe it's just be, but it really isn't that hard to manage not hitting the lock button while pressing the volume button to take a photo.

I could see where it might be annoying, but it isn't difficult.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Taking pictures like that looks like a fantastic way to drop your phone from 5-6 feet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Amber Alert posted:

Taking pictures like that looks like a fantastic way to drop your phone from 5-6 feet.

"You're holding it wrong"

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

carry on then posted:

It can be annoying, especially if you want to use volume up as the "take picture" button since you need to squeeze and my thumb naturally lines up with the power button.

Volume has priority since 8.1. So if you press them both at the same time, it'll take a picture.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Some rear end idiot phone holders in this thread tonight.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Since I'm procrastinating on a huge paper and feeling generous, I've gone and presented you with proper one-handed technique for taking pictures with your phone. (Please do not take one handed pictures with your phone.)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It really doesn't matter since 8.1 fixed this issue.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Amber Alert posted:

Since I'm procrastinating on a huge paper and feeling generous, I've gone and presented you with proper one-handed technique for taking pictures with your phone. (Please do not take one handed pictures with your phone.)

Heh, that's exactly how I hold it when I'm eating and don't have to worry about dropping it more than a few inches. But its not secure enough for one handed photos or video. Incidentally, I drop my phone all the time coming out of my pocket before I get a solid grip on it, but I've never dropped it while doing one handed camera use. That grip is plenty secure.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Amber Alert posted:

That looks unnecessarily awkward.

Seriously, I use a 6+ with maybe slightly smaller than average hands, and taking a 1 handed picture with the volume button isn't complicated in the slightest. I don't even see the need to post examples because it really seems like common sense and you goons seem to overthink everything.

In other words, you're holding it wrong.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

empty baggie posted:

That looks unnecessarily awkward.

Seriously, I use a 6+ with maybe slightly smaller than average hands, and taking a 1 handed picture with the volume button isn't complicated in the slightest. I don't even see the need to post examples because it really seems like common sense and you goons seem to overthink everything.

In other words, you're holding it wrong.

I find it weird that people use it 1 handed on its side and aren't holding it like she is in the picture. You must be holding it wrong yourself.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Are my hands that pretty? ;-*

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Jus use the volume buttons.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Amber Alert posted:

Are my hands that pretty? ;-*

You have very delicate looking hands if you are a male

:wink:

You should be a hand model.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Sleep/wake button directly opposite volume up is mildly annoying. For me it rarely has to do with taking photos but generally just locking the phone itself; sometimes I press both buttons.

Having had a 6 since launch day the one thing that I still mind is not being able to text that easily one handed while lazily laying in bed on my side. Also swipe to go back barely works for me using one hand. It was touted that they envisioned the curved glass side of the phone ever since they introduced the gesture on iOS 7 or whatever but the sides of the screen don't respond that well for me. Whether swiping to go back in the Awful app or even just scrolling alphabetically by artist in the Music app.

I like the size of the screen but I prefer the hard edges of the 4/5 still. Easier to grip and the edges of the screen responded better in my experience.

I also got to play with a friend's 6+ and the bezels are absolutely ludicrous. I can only imagine next year we're going to get the same models with an S version and it still won't be updated until 2016 which just makes me giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ShoogaSlim posted:

Sleep/wake button directly opposite volume up is mildly annoying. For me it rarely has to do with taking photos but generally just locking the phone itself; sometimes I press both buttons.
I found that an issue as well at the start. I don't know why they changed from the top mounted button