Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The second and third episodes of this season were actually drat good. But yeah the latest was back to crappy so this doesn't surprise me at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how the defining characteristic of executive producer Mackenzie is fretting over her wedding plans.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Great posts about Boardwalk Empire. Thank you. I'm still torn over whether I should watch it. I'm not sure I'm willing to give it the patience and attention it seems to warrant

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Librarians is almost aggressively whimsical.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

muscles like this? posted:

"Bigfoot is real but Dracula isn't. I know this because I killed him" :allears:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

What the hell does this even mean?

For reference, what I consider whimsical are things like Pushing Daisies or Jane the Virgin (which is a bit of a stretch).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Librarians so far is literally like Warehouse 13 and Leverage combined into one show. Also with the added bonus of John Larroquette which is fun.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sober posted:

What the hell does this even mean?

For reference, what I consider whimsical are things like Pushing Daisies or Jane the Virgin (which is a bit of a stretch).

Like Pushing Daisies cranked up a notch. Although it does calm down a little once the plot actually kicks in.

Edit: The second episode seems like its going to be a better indication as to what the series will be.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 8, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An example of the whimsy is the second episode had a death scene for a sword.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
They cast Bruce Campbell as Santa Claus. That sums up all I need to know.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay well now I need to watch. Does it require having seen the movies?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

It kind of helps in that they kind of establish the craziness of the world but it isn't necessary.

An example of the whimsy is the second episode had a death scene for a sword.

That for instance is one way in which seeing the movies would have helped more probably.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 8, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Nah, the only character they keep from the movies is Noah Wyle's, who isn't even going to be a regular on the show and since all of the characters are new to the whole "Library" thing they get everything explained to them.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

blue squares posted:

Great posts about Boardwalk Empire. Thank you. I'm still torn over whether I should watch it. I'm not sure I'm willing to give it the patience and attention it seems to warrant

The first three seasons were great, the fourth was pretty good and I stopped watching the last season after I saw that it had navelgaze flashbacks covering stuff that had already been explained in all the previous seasons and the first episode didn't have a single scene with a single character I cared about following anymore.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Dec 8, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GraPar posted:

Hope that everyone who enjoys watching and/or reading about awful television is suitably excited for The Newsroom tonight:
https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/541447311239286784
https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/541741429924433920

:holymoley: that was bad. I'm glad I stopped watching this show after season 1.

I can't believe they killed Charlie :v:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

GraPar posted:

Hope that everyone who enjoys watching and/or reading about awful television is suitably excited for The Newsroom tonight:
https://twitter.com/tvoti/status/541447311239286784
https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/541741429924433920
Never watched Newsroom, should I tune in anyway?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. The Newsroom isn't even that bad, it's just really disappointing coming from Aaron Sorkin since everyone thought Studio 60 was a fluke.

e: the show is still bad but there's plenty that's worse.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I need a new show. I've watched and enjoyed The Wire, Breaking Bad, Deadwood, True Detective, Game of Thrones, Fargo, Hannibal, Fringe, Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, Justified, Terriers, Veronica Mars, Arrested Development, Parks & Recreation, Childrens Hospital, South Park, Venture Bros., Party Down, Louie, Rome, Carnivale, Masters of Sex, Penny Dreadful, The Shield, Lost, Archer, The Americans, Orphan Black.

I currently watch and enjoy Arrow, The Flash, Agents of SHIELD, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Comedy Bang Bang, The Birthday Boys, Marry Me, Constantine, and believe it or not, Mulaney.

My public library recently started offering a free streaming service called Hoopla, which gives me access to Magic City (two seasons) and Spartacus (four seasons). Are either of them worth watching? I also have Amazon Prime, but I feel like I'm out of shows I want to watch on it, and I won't resubscribe to Netflix until Daredevil comes out next year.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 8, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yes to Spartacus, watch it all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spartacus is a great show once you get past the first 4-5 episodes. Highly recommend it. The Americans and The Good Wife are also streaming on Amazon.

http://www.avclub.com/article/ithe-good-wifei-has-proven-itself-a-worthy-success-56168

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just notice the evil chick from The Librarians is Naevia 1 from Spartacus.

It's such a cool show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Spartacus is a great show once you get past the first 4-5 episodes. Highly recommend it. The Americans and The Good Wife are also streaming on Amazon.

http://www.avclub.com/article/ithe-good-wifei-has-proven-itself-a-worthy-success-56168

Thing in the Pit is episode 4, it starts to get good the episode before. So it's really only the first two episodes that are sub par.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I only just started The Librarians, but it looks like John Rogers doing an unofficial version of Doctor Who. And because Rogers loving loves Doctor Who, this should be neat.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So did that one dude get eaten by the snake or what?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

I only just started The Librarians, but it looks like John Rogers doing an unofficial version of Doctor Who. And because Rogers loving loves Doctor Who, this should be neat.
So likely it could be eventually better than current DW.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

VDay posted:

So did that one dude get eaten by the snake or what?

He chickened out. The snake sucked face with him for a little while, but it didn't make it to second base.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Spartacus loving owns. Anyone who hasn't watched it should go watch it and should also ignore the fact that the pilot is terrible.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Deadpool posted:

The Librarians so far is literally like Warehouse 13 and Leverage combined into one show. Also with the added bonus of John Larroquette which is fun.

I was thinking it could be called Leveragehouse 13, or The Leverarians. But that is ok since there hasn't really been a quirky fun adventure show on tv since Leverage ended. I enjoyed what they had to show us in the preview for the next few episodes as well.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

PostNouveau posted:

Spartacus loving owns. Anyone who hasn't watched it should go watch it and should also ignore the fact that the pilot is terrible.

Gonna echo everyone else here and say that Spartacus is awesome. I still need to watch the final season though.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Gonna echo everyone else here and say that Spartacus is awesome. I still need to watch the final season though.

You really, really do.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

For what its worth, the final season is a huge improvement on the 2nd and totally worth watching. Everybody brought their A Game for the final season, and it shows.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nah, the only character they keep from the movies is Noah Wyle's, who isn't even going to be a regular on the show and since all of the characters are new to the whole "Library" thing they get everything explained to them.

how do you adapt the smash hit movies into a TV series and not bring along televisions most handsome gentle doctor from the 90s????

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I wish someone would adapt Smash TV into a scripted series.

Big money. Big prizes. I like it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

For what its worth, the final season is a huge improvement on the 2nd and totally worth watching. Everybody brought their A Game for the final season, and it shows.

It wasn't a question of getting tired of the show. Once it got going I was 100% in, I just haven't happened to watch the last season yet. Doesn't help that I've gotten super busy with school.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aye Doc posted:

how do you adapt the smash hit movies into a TV series and not bring along televisions most handsome gentle doctor from the 90s????

They basically set it up so that he's going to be a recurring guest star. His character is still going to be running around the world doing "Librarian" things while the actual cast of the show are "Librarians in Training."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It wasn't a question of getting tired of the show. Once it got going I was 100% in, I just haven't happened to watch the last season yet. Doesn't help that I've gotten super busy with school.

The last season has Julius Caesar and Marcus Crassus kicking rear end and they are awesome while also being the villains.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The last season has Julius Caesar and Marcus Crassus kicking rear end and they are awesome while also being the villains.

That sounds like my kinda poo poo. It's on my to-watch list for sure.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

That sounds like my kinda poo poo. It's on my to-watch list for sure.

Not to oversell it, there's a cumshot in one of the first few episodes that makes Game of Thrones' cumshot seem downright tasteful.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Don't forget the whole Caesar getting rear end-raped out of NOWHERE plot device. That was rather shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Caveat imperator

• Locked thread