Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Magneto's hidden, secondary power. The Brown Noise. :v:

Magneto uses this power on a group of X-Men, with ugly results. Especially for the naked blue girl. The tables were turned, however, when it also gave Krakoa magmatic diarrhea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Man, Thing wears underpants even though he doesn't really need to. Blue girl really needs to learn some basic courtesy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Say Nothing posted:

The original Spider-Woman.

Spidey Super Stories #11.
She is so eaten by Morlun.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

and you can't, like, hypnotize someone with a fridge magnet.

You can't rip the blood out of prison guard with your magnetic power by injecting it with extra iron either.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yvonmukluk posted:

She is so eaten by Morlun.

No, see she's just using gadgets so she's not a "real spider" so she just gets rape threats thrown at her.

Spider-Verse is poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Bravo posted:

Somewhere, Chris Claremont is reading this post and kicking himself for not having thought of this first.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

SirDan3k posted:

No, see she's just using gadgets so she's not a "real spider" so she just gets rape threats thrown at her.

Spider-Verse is poo poo.

Sad thing is, I am not sure if this is true or not.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

"I? I am power! Men call me "You son of a bitch how could you do that to somebody?""

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

bunnyofdoom posted:

Sad thing is, I am not sure if this is true or not.

Of course it's true. Spider-Verse really is poo poo.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Alhazred posted:

You can't rip the blood out of prison guard with your magnetic power by injecting it with extra iron either.

I thought he just ripped the extra iron out of his veins sending the blood everywhere? Still stupid when you think about it but it made for a nice sequence.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Didn't she inject him with actual iron bits?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Opopanax posted:

Didn't she inject him with actual iron bits?

I thought it was mercury, and the whole "Extra iron in your blood" line was just supposed to be a witty pun.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

10 Beers posted:

I thought it was mercury, and the whole "Extra iron in your blood" line was just supposed to be a witty pun.

I'm pretty sure if you injected someone with that much mercury (or even significantly less) they would find a dead body in the bathroom stall and Magneto would stay in prison.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really can't think of any metal you could inject in someone's bloodstream and have them still come in to work the next day.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Well, iron fumes are the only welding byproduct you can inhale without getting sick, so the human body seems to be able to handle iron in weird places pretty well. Don't know how it'd fit through his arteries without clogging them up, though! :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Do I really need to be the guy who points out that it's a movie wherein special, magical people can control fire and ice, shoot laser beams with their eyes, and teleport?

Maybe Mitchell Laurio was a latent mutant whose superpower was being able to survive a lot of metal in his blood. There, resolved, gimme my No Prize.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Of course it's true. Spider-Verse really is poo poo.

Oh that's not true, it gives amazing side stories and one-shots, like the adorable tale of Penelope Parker!

Spider-Verse #1

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 7, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

TwoPair posted:

Oh that's not true, it gives amazing side stories and one-shots, like the adorable tale of Penelope Parker!

OMG! That's adorable.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Isn't the villain of that series traveling the multiverse, murdering Spider-People? Should I assume that cutesy kid-spider-girl gets mulched by the end of their one-shot?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nope. That one doesn't tie in to the main series at all. It's just a pilot to see if they should make more in the future. Everything besides the main series has been a lot of fun. Check out the Edge of Spiderverse one shots, Scarlet Spiders, Spiderverse Team Up, or the Spiderverse anthology that Peneleope Parker is from for some fun alternate Spider-Man action.

The rape threat was directed towards Lady Spider, the steam punk Spider Woman, in an otherwise solid issue of Spider-Man 2099. The dude gets what's coming to him if it helps.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Die Laughing posted:

Nope. That one doesn't tie in to the main series at all. It's just a pilot to see if they should make more in the future. Everything besides the main series has been a lot of fun. Check out the Edge of Spiderverse one shots, Scarlet Spiders, Spiderverse Team Up, or the Spiderverse anthology that Peneleope Parker is from for some fun alternate Spider-Man action.

The rape threat was directed towards Lady Spider, the steam punk Spider Woman, in an otherwise solid issue of Spider-Man 2099. The dude gets what's coming to him if it helps.

Why are there fun tie-ins in Spider-Verse for it seems like everybody but Spider-Girl, who just had her family murdered?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Why are there fun tie-ins in Spider-Verse for it seems like everybody but Spider-Girl, who just had her family murdered?

She's in Spider-Woman! So she gets to be drawn by Greg Land. :smith:

Edit: Whoops, you meant Mayday, not 616 Spider-Girl. I think they are doing a short in one of the anthologies, by the original Spider-Girl creative team

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 8, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Captain Bravo posted:

Can you think of a better power to use against people wearing unitards or brightly-colored spandex?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 8, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

10 Beers posted:

Mercury isn't actually all that magnetic.

Simplest answer, some kind of ferrofluid. There are medical applications and it doesn't kill people. Up the dose, add comic book science - done.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

A big syringe of unstable molecules.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alhazred posted:

There's a genetic disorder where the iron doesn't form hemoglobin properly and so you've got tiny bits of iron floating around your blood stream. People with this disease set off metal detectors and have a really bad time with things like cat scans and MRIs. So theoretically you could get those microscopic iron particles in a saline solution injected into a health person, then rip them out again. If your victim doesn't pass any mutants who control magnetism they'll pass all of the excess iron sooner or later. I don't think you could do it in the quantity that the movie shows, though.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Good old Superman, bringing joy to boys since 1960
(source: Superman Daily from 1960)

Anybody have this one in color from the comic book?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Good old Superman, bringing joy to boys since 1960
(source: Superman Daily from 1960)

IIRC, that's the story where they explain that Circe, the Greek witch that harassed Odysseus, was actually Kryptonian and that's why her powers worked on Superman.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

In the story, Superman actually runs into Circe's modern-day descendant, who's also named Circe. The original Circe was from Krypton, so when Superman realizes this he looks up "how to cure getting a lion's head from one of Circe's magic potions" in the Kandor library and mixes up the antidote.

Action Comics #243

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Just another day of our noble hero Superman wrecking the loving office out of vanity.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Silver age Superman is so insecure. I just don't understand how people growing up reading those got "Pillar of strength" from his character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Just another day of our noble hero Superman wrecking the loving office out of vanity.

Seriously, Jimmy works on nearly the top floor with Lois and Clark and the rest of the Planet staff, doesn't he? Superman must've tore through like 50 floors.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

TwoPair posted:

Seriously, Jimmy works on nearly the top floor with Lois and Clark and the rest of the Planet staff, doesn't he? Superman must've tore through like 50 floors.

I like to imagine Jimmy, tired of constantly dealing with Superman's poo poo, decides to take some alone time. Just head on down to the basement, and not have to worry about whatever hosed-up thing Supes has going on today. Then Superman blows through the floor, and is also a lion.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
knowing silver age superman purely from the front covers that get posted in here, supes probably had jimmy demoted to the basement a week ago just because he could

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

IIRC, that's the story where they explain that Circe, the Greek witch that harassed Odysseus, was actually Kryptonian and that's why her powers worked on Superman.

But... Why? Magic already works.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Silver age Superman is so insecure. I just don't understand how people growing up reading those got "Pillar of strength" from his character.

Superman is actually an Everyman. His insecurities are just normal insecurities writ large.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

PJOmega posted:

But... Why? Magic already works.

The story's from 1958. It might be a little bit before they codified that Superman was vulnerable to magic as well as kryptonite. Maybe even a while? I remember Bronze Age stories about Superman and magic, but not really any Mort Weisinger era stories.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

IUG posted:

I'm pretty sure if you injected someone with that much mercury (or even significantly less) they would find a dead body in the bathroom stall and Magneto would stay in prison.

Well yeah, but.... comic book movie.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Captain Bravo posted:

I though Brown Noise was a lame version of Black Bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Mousepractice posted:

I though Brown Noise was a lame version of Black Bolt

Oh man, imagine if people just shat themselves whenever you spoke. I'm pretty sure I'd keep quiet all the time too.

• Locked thread