Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

In case you couldn't tell from the province distribution, nation set up, and what I presume to be the base tax values here, the board game itself was made by a french company. This is probably what resulted in a very particular legacy carryover involving a blue nation in western europe that we are all highly aware of :v:.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I like that Moscow is apparently migrating south since 1492. And so is everything else...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Cyprus, the Peloponnese, Sinai, and Jutland all look like turds.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

VerdantSquire posted:

In case you couldn't tell from the province distribution, nation set up, and what I presume to be the base tax values here, the board game itself was made by a french company. This is probably what resulted in a very particular legacy carryover involving a blue nation in western europe that we are all highly aware of :v:.

Yeah, the pink numbers on each province are tax value. Ship icons are each a trade zone, marked with the bonus income for monopolizing them. Each one with a country name on it is their home zone, where get some competitive advantages.

The storm clouds are hazard ratings for naval attrition. A fleet gets infinite movespeed, able to go anywhere in they like within the span of a turn, but the harder you push them the more of your boats will be eaten by bad weather and unexpected rocks.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Europe:

World:

On one hand, converting this into a computer game is a pretty sound move given that it doesn't look like it's possible to play that by hand and retain your sanity.

On the other hand, I am kinda amazed that somebody actually found it, played through it and presumably enjoyed it enough that he thought it'd be a good idea to invest the time, effort and money needed to turn it into a computer game.

Anybody have any idea what the original board game designers think of EU4?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tomn posted:

Anybody have any idea what the original board game designers think of EU4?

I believe the game was designed by Philippe Thibaut, who's one of the guys behind the AGEOD games. Yeah, I imagine there must be some mixed feelings at having your boardgame bought, turned into a successful computer game, merging (being bought?) by the people who adapted it, and then being cut free by them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

VerdantSquire posted:

France being the richest country in Europe makes sense. For the EU period, France gained a lot from having a much richer core than Spain or England. What doesn't make sense is how Northern Italy isn't right up there. Northern Italy was really rich and productive, this is why France and Spain fought over it so much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That just reminded me how ridiculous pre-nerf France was. I think they had at least 2 major "reduce base tax and manpower" passes in EU3, from what I recall the numbers on the board game there were ported straight to EU and didn't change from EU1 to 3 until patches / expansions happened.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Disco Infiva posted:

I like that Moscow is apparently migrating south since 1492. And so is everything else...

And Kazan was once west of Nizhny Novgorod. And not on the Volga.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

VerdantSquire posted:

Nah, the big pain was always Austria until about midway through EU3's development cycle.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Beamed posted:

Nah, the big pain was always Austria until about midway through EU3's development cycle.

BWB was big in EU2, and then EU3 came with Austria being red :v:
But yeah, France got buffed in In Nomine, and it's like that ever since.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

France really was a juggernaut for most of the last millennium, so that's actually accurate. It was only by the nineteenth century that they started getting cut down to size, mostly due to demographic stagnation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I never realized so much of the province layout in EU1 were copied directly from the board game.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

France really was a juggernaut for most of the last millennium, so that's actually accurate. It was only by the nineteenth century that they started getting cut down to size, mostly due to demographic stagnation.

France was on a collision course with mediocrity in the 18th century, but was rescued by the Revolution.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Phlegmish posted:

The problem with France in EU is that the nations around her aren't very good at banding together to stave off French aggression. It gets better if Austria inherits the Netherlands, but the AI has no idea how to use all the mountainous Austrian provinces to win battles.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Dibujante posted:

France was on a collision course with mediocrity in the 18th century, but was rescued by the Revolution.

Is this really the case? Near as I can tell, all it would have taken was one great leader to rejuvenate and reform the government - the Revolution provided that, just rather..violently. It was still huge culturally and economically. Just look at Voltaire.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Drone posted:

There used to be forum Balance of Power games run fairly regularly in TG, but I haven't seen one in awhile. It was pretty much exactly this.

The folks who did the first Balance of Power games were part of a community I was on before I joined Something Awful. Way long time ago. I honestly didn't like that game very much though.

I have run a number of games on Something Awful in GBS though that are similar, but they have more structure. The last one I did was History of the World:

http://retributiongames.com/history/

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580849

The first version of HotW I did on GBS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3123362

I also did a couple of games called Divided We Stand, also on GBS/TG but they were about assuming control of a group of individuals following World War 3 and trying to rebuild society from the ashes.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Beamed posted:

Is this really the case? Near as I can tell, all it would have taken was one great leader to rejuvenate and reform the government - the Revolution provided that, just rather..violently. It was still huge culturally and economically. Just look at Voltaire.
What was probably needed was to rejuvenate and reform the economy though, which might be a bigger task. A concerted effort at industrializing would have allowed the cities of France to absorb excess rural population that historically emigrated out of France, meaning more men to man more guns. Remaining in control of Wallonia probably wouldn't have hurt either, both for its own potential, but also for what it could do for the rest of France.

PittTheElder posted:

The problem with France in EU is that the nations around her aren't very good at banding together to stave off French aggression. It gets better if Austria inherits the Netherlands, but the AI has no idea how to use all the mountainous Austrian provinces to win battles.
The game could probably do with a feature that identified the strongest regional power, and made other countries more likely to band together against them, even if they hadn't been aggressive for a while.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Drone posted:

There used to be forum Balance of Power games run fairly regularly in TG, but I haven't seen one in awhile. It was pretty much exactly this.

Most of the BOP GMs I know just got tired of running the game, I think.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Beamed posted:

Leading up to the Revolution, dozens of great men all tried very hard to overcome France's inertia and failed. Ultimately, France's established potentates (king, aristocracy, clergy) were all unwilling/unable to reform, even when they wanted to. By 1789, France was broke, starving, and in internal disarray, but that was just a market correction that put the price of French stock where it had really been for a while.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Phlegmish posted:

To quote Napoleon: "You cannot stop me, I spend 30000 men a month."

The revolutionary wars were an incredibly bloody affair.

quote:

By 1789, France was broke

France, interestingly enough, has pretty much always spent tax revenue two years in advance since Louis XIV.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Merry Christmas season, Paradox goons. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ntpw4PJ0QM I've always had a soft spot for Riu Riu Chiu because it sounds almost exactly like Falalan. A (very) few notes off, but it sounds so close to a copy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I've been slowly working on a Cold War turn based strategy game. It's heavily inspired by the ancient game Balance of Power. I posted about it back in the Spring but couldn't work on it for a long time, but I've gotten back to it recently and have made a ton of progress.

Here are a few screenshots! (pretend it's not 1999 :blush:)

I wish you had PMs available, this looks really promising and I'd be interested to hear more about your plans.

Edit: Whoops, I overlooked a later post where he explains his plans in a lot more depth.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 13, 2014

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Thread's been kind of dead this week.

So....those Nazis, right? I mean aside from the whole Holocaust....pretty cool? Right guys? Guys?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

So....those Nazis, right? I mean aside from the whole Holocaust....pretty cool? Right guys? Guys?

That's some weak trolling, bro.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If Hitler had invested in lots and lots of Ju-87s instead of Tiger tanks, Germany would have won rather handily.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's called Developing Reich, not Third Reich!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

If Hitler had invested in lots and lots of Ju-87s instead of Tiger tanks, Germany would have won rather handily.

No, Hitler should've built only inf.

Mans posted:

:vince:

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Mans posted:

Close the thread, we're not coming back from this.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 13, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
:golfclap:

We're done, can't top this.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Mans posted:

Suddenly, that bloody silly derail is redeemed and made good in the eyes of man.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mans posted:

:eyepop:

Also where's my goddamn HoI4 update!!!!!!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mans posted:

I feel dumb and don't get the joke, please send help :(

Oh wait got it, :)

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 13, 2014

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Tomn posted:

Suddenly, that bloody silly derail is redeemed and made good in the eyes of man.
Nah, no matter how good this joke is, that derail still was the worst.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I feel dumb and don't get the joke, please send help :(

There was a derail over using third world to describe countries outside the west.

Goons did not react well, went straight up Paradox forums on it, and I assume he is making fun of that.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

There was a derail over using third world to describe countries outside the west.

Goons did not react well, went straight up Paradox forums on it, and I assume he is making fun of that.

Right just remembered that. I swear I'm cool and funny usually, gang :)

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

CharlestheHammer posted:

You know... What really triggers me is using "The West" to describe first world nations. I live in Brazil, it's located in the west but no one is thinking about Brazil when they use that term. What a loving bullshit terminology is that?

Discuss.... for the next 5 pages.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kanthulhu posted:

You know... What really triggers me is using "The West" to describe first world nations. I live in Brazil, it's located in the west but no one is thinking about Brazil when they use that term. What a loving bullshit terminology is that?

Any terminology that is intentionally vague and self important is going to be bullshit, no need to discuss.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I prefer "normal countries" vs "lovely countries" myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kanthulhu posted:

BRIC is highly suggestive of a primitive and, frankly, fat nation. Also bricks are used to smash windows, so it objectively paints these countries as violent. It's disgusting.

• Locked thread