Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

holy moly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

whys it called hove??

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

made a program in C# that automatically downloads the Astronomy Picture of the Day and sets it as your desktop background, lets you control how much space to use to store them, what wallpaper style to use (fill is usually best given the aspects) and a context menu option to quickly visit APOD so you can figure out wtf you are seeing. todays was pgood:

quote:

Explanation: Headed for two orbits of planet Earth and a splashdown in the Pacific, Orion blazed into the early morning sky on Friday at 7:05am ET. The spacecraft was launched atop a United Launch Aliance Delta IV Heavy rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Its first voyage into space on an uncrewed flight test, the Orion traveled some 3,600 miles from Earth, about 15 times higher than the orbital altitude of the International Space Station. In fact, Orion traveled farther into space than any spacecraft designed for astronauts since the Apollo missions to the Moon. The Orion crew module reached speeds of 20,000 miles per hour and temperatures approaching 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit as it re-entered Earth's atmosphere about 4.5 hours after launch.

space loving rules

download link if you also want cool space images everyday.

source code so you can ponder how i manage to breathe writing such terrible code.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

whys it called hove??

?? i just named it the first thing that came to my head

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
echi i have been not really following your saga and i played that video 3 times in a row

wow holy dang

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks 290 it means a lot

as im nearing functional completion (which unsurprisingly, the goalposts keep moving as i realise whats missing/buggy) i am getting nervous as i am going to have to focus on content, which is going to be a make or break thing really. hacking around in a game engine is fun and "easy", using my imagination and creative skills to create a fun set of levels and areas etc? i feel thats when i will start to hit my skill limit :/ still though, i've never ever had a idiot spare time project that i've put so much time and thought into, and continue to spend entire saturday nights etc poured into. i proud of what i have produced so maybe i will continue to surprise myself

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also lol that video is fl.ux'd its not quite that colour irl

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mo_Steel posted:

download link if you also want cool space images everyday.

source code so you can ponder how i manage to breathe writing such terrible code.

I downloaded your thing :tipshat: do i have to logout and back in to make it work for the first time

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Idiot spare time project #457: make images explode into :science: PARTICLES :science:

It mostly works, but is slow as gently caress.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3npAWRJxSEY

:gizz:

Took 10 minutes to render a 1080p@60fps sequence. The simulation is pretty quick, but the renderer is slow. 80k+ particles and it's rendering them in software, takes about 1 second per frame.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 7, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

now do it with Goatse

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:catdrugs: :catdrugs:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

Idiot spare time project #457: make images explode into :science: PARTICLES :science:

It mostly works, but is slow as gently caress.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3npAWRJxSEY

:gizz:

Took 10 minutes to render a 1080p@60fps sequence. The simulation is pretty quick, but the renderer is slow. 80k+ particles and it's rendering them in software, takes about 1 second per frame.

thats fuckins col

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

anyone know anything about nes homebrew? I already know 6502 assembly from the atari. I have a bunch of famitracker songs I dinked out and wrapping them in a music player might be a fun project.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

now do it with Goatse

It'sa me, Goatse Mario!

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer

Doc Block posted:

It'sa me, Goatse Mario!

Nice!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

?? i just named it the first thing that came to my head

thats where i lived :greencube:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
:2bong: Hey man, our bodies are 70% water! What if Mario's body was, like, 100% water? :2bong:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
make a converter that feeds the Madden giferator into this and you will obtain a million bloghits.

looks great dude

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

watch out siggraph there's a new cowboy in town

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

:2bong: Hey man, our bodies are 70% water! What if Mario's body was, like, 100% water? :2bong:

my god its full of stars :magical:

Sabretooth
Sep 18, 2004

You look delicious. Care to join me for dinner?
Pillbug

Doc Block posted:

You could probably do both the simulation and the rendering in realtime on any reasonably modern GPU with time to spare. Fill the particle initial states with a position and color sampled from the input image, simulate in a compute shader, render as a big list of point primitives. Could also replace the color with texel coordinates and fetch the particle colors from a texture, then either decode a video into it or use something like WGL_NV_video_capture to explode yourself via webcam.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
didn't you say the other day OSX didn't have compute shaders?

also you can answer this about LPVs.. is it a thing that they are "slow"? as if light propagates less than instantly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

light does propagate less than instantly

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

secret funy dovetail yos box update

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

light does propagate less than instantly

thanks for the physics lesson, certainly relevant video game design

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my current idiot spare time project: programming radios and designing wiring diagrams for this robotics competition. we got one of the robots hooked up and driving last night and of course the first thing the kid does is drive it full speed into a wall. we're using two motors on our sub-30lb robots; normally we use four of the same motors to drive a 120lb robot. so double the power-to-weight ratio that we usually have. no bumpers installed yet so there's a nice chunk taken out of the wall and the battery (a third of the robot's weight) broke loose and went flying and nearly crushed the electronics board. it was awesome :iamafag:

so the programming i'm doing now is adding trim features to help the bots drive in a straight line, and a dual-mode switch so that they can restrict the power output to 50% for finer control. i try to impress upon the kids that a smoothly operated robot that doesn't crash and grabs the ball every time reliably usually does better than a super fast powerful one that's out of control...but they're high schoolers and have the "well i'm sure i can handle full speed and sensitivity and reprogramming the radio with my own leet custom turbo power layout" attitude

gonna be a fun competition

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 7, 2014

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sabretooth posted:

You could probably do both the simulation and the rendering in realtime on any reasonably modern GPU with time to spare. Fill the particle initial states with a position and color sampled from the input image, simulate in a compute shader, render as a big list of point primitives. Could also replace the color with texel coordinates and fetch the particle colors from a texture, then either decode a video into it or use something like WGL_NV_video_capture to explode yourself via webcam.

The rendering could be done on the GPU but :effort:. Would have to relearn OpenGL. IDK about the particle simulation; the particles interact with each other, which seems like it would be hard to parallelize.

The simulation is done at a fixed 240 steps/second, which slows is slower, but gives a quality simulation.

Before that, it just did a couple steps per rendered frame, which had artifacts. Like in the video of YOSPOS BITCH getting hit, where you can see some particles stayed in place after the bullet passed them because the particles are so small and the bullet is moving so much per frame that it just stepped over them. The Mario GIFs were done with the 240hz fixed simulation rate and done have that problem.

Anyway, I'm using a 3rd party physics engine, and haven't tuned it yet. Once it's tuned better it'll probably be faster.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 8, 2014

Sabretooth
Sep 18, 2004

You look delicious. Care to join me for dinner?
Pillbug

echinopsis posted:

didn't you say the other day OSX didn't have compute shaders?

also you can answer this about LPVs.. is it a thing that they are "slow"? as if light propagates less than instantly

Right, that (and the reference to the WGL extension) was assuming a windows target. On OS X you can use OpenCL and share objects with GL for the same effect, and I think the video-to-texture functionality is somewhere in CoreVideo.

It's not an intrinsic property of LPV that it is 'slow', but some implementations (including the UE4 implementation) average the light contribution over a few frames to avoid flickering artifacts you'd otherwise get from the fairly coarse spatial sampling. UE4 averages over 10 frames by default, configurable in the top of Engine/Shaders/LPVCommon.usf

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

and a dual-mode switch so that they can restrict the power output to 50% for finer control.

you're smart for basically adding valet mode and more designers should do exactly this

ive seen so much dumb poo poo done by exceeding inputs on a full power thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sabretooth posted:

Right, that (and the reference to the WGL extension) was assuming a windows target. On OS X you can use OpenCL and share objects with GL for the same effect, and I think the video-to-texture functionality is somewhere in CoreVideo.

It's not an intrinsic property of LPV that it is 'slow', but some implementations (including the UE4 implementation) average the light contribution over a few frames to avoid flickering artifacts you'd otherwise get from the fairly coarse spatial sampling. UE4 averages over 10 frames by default, configurable in the top of Engine/Shaders/LPVCommon.usf

oh I'll muck around with that. the effect it gave was more of a lag than average but I guess I know nothing so... Thabks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh i built it so that in "valet mode" it has roughly 50% of the full power, but even in red-key mode i maxed it out at 90%. partly because of how i implemented the trim but also because i suspect from watching the cheap chinese motor controllers we're using that they have poor maximum-output behavior. instead of a smooth pwm like the rest of the range, when you send them 100% they seem to just go full bore on the MOSFETS (it seems, cause you can't hear the pwm frequency any more). and while the controllers are rated for 320a peak current and our motors only hit 65 in stall, the battery can easily push five hundred amps and i've found that a good rule of thumb with chinese parts is never exceed a quarter of what they can supposedly do sooooooooo

(reminder that in the last season we calculated the overall maximum current draw of our robot at nine hundred amps and were finding that we had to cool the 4-gauge battery wires with upside down cans of dust-off between matches or we'd see reduced performance)

in any case i'm more worried about physical damage than electrical problems. the kids are allowed to set up their drivetrain however they want as long as it only uses the same two motors as everyone else, and some of them are gearing them down as low as <3:1...with four inch wheels and a motor capable of 6500rpm. so that's uh like 25 miles an hour on a field that's only 30 feet long, and the bots have at least ten pounds of lead battery in the base for maximum ramming inertia. the full size matches have some spectacular crashes resulting in broken welds and sheared bolts, and these guys have twice the power to weight ratio...and kids with little to no training operating them.

also doesn't really help that the "pro" teams all use "tank drive", ie one joystick for each side of the robot, so the kids all want to use tank drive too. the other option is "arcade drive", where one stick controls everything through software mixing of the l/r motor channels. arcade drive is way more logical for a newbie to use, doesn't require extreme precision coordination to drive in a straight line, and the way i programmed our software both arcade-drive and tank-drive are capable of exactly the same movements. so there's basically no advantage to tank-drive. but the kids want to be like the pros (who themselves are kind of surly about their choice of control because ??? never figured that one out) so we're gonna have at least a few teams who can't even drive in a straight line but can do it FAST

safety glasses for all spectators, i'm thinking

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 8, 2014

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

and to think that for many years this competition didn't even require you to put protective bumpers on your robot, and teams got away with dumb poo poo like building wedges to intentionally flip opponents.

Sagebrush posted:

also doesn't really help that the "pro" teams all use "tank drive", ie one joystick for each side of the robot, so the kids all want to use tank drive too. the other option is "arcade drive", where one stick controls everything through software mixing of the l/r motor channels. arcade drive is way more logical for a newbie to use, doesn't require extreme precision coordination to drive in a straight line, and the way i programmed our software both arcade-drive and tank-drive are capable of exactly the same movements. so there's basically no advantage to tank-drive. but the kids want to be like the pros (who themselves are kind of surly about their choice of control because ??? never figured that one out) so we're gonna have at least a few teams who can't even drive in a straight line but can do it FAST

safety glasses for all spectators, i'm thinking

my old team tried tank drive but it was very bad, so one of the guys brought in his saitek 3-axis flight sim joystick and we used that instead and it was incredibly good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah i've seen a ton of different control mechanisms at the competitions. most common is probably 2 or 3 joysticks -- 1-2 for the driver depending on arcade or tank mode, and one for the guy operating the pickup, shooting, etc. other functions. but i've also seen a joystick and a throttle like a fighter jet, a steering wheel with a hand throttle, a couple of xbox gamepads (especially for the omnibots that can translate in any direction). i don't know why xbox controllers aren't more common...the kids have tons of experience with that input method already

the weirdest/most clever thing i saw was a kinect. they didn't actually use it for driving, but in the 30 second autonomous period where you aren't allowed to touch the controls. it doesn't say you can't control the robot, just that you cannot be within ten feet of the driver's station. so they stuck a kinect on their thing facing the driver and could do gestures to select one of a couple different pre-programmed movement patterns once they saw what the other teams we doing autonomously. pretty smart. after that our programmer built in a thing that would watch the laptop driver station's webcam and our driver could hold up a colored card for similar functionality. worked great actually except the main breaker kept blowing in the matches because the custom student-designed gearbox kept failing and getting locked in high gear, and then a robot would shove us around and the motors would all stall as the driver tried to get out cause we couldn't drop down for more torque, and blam

it's quite an experience yes

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 8, 2014

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

last year one of the students used the kinect to trigger the ball launcher if it detected that you were hipthrusting. he demoed this at an all-school assembly, which was an incredibly pro move imo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

man i wish we'd had frc when i was in high school. sometimes i'm a bit envious of the kids on the team. i mean i really enjoy mentoring, and undoubtedly it's more fun being the 28-year-old expert instead of the socially awkward 15 year old hacking away on aluminum scraps, but i feel like it would have kept me from wasting hours and hours after school playing starcraft and that would bhave been just great.

also sometimes you just wanna be the guy driving the robot, y'know? gad drat it looks like fun to play in those matches.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i did have the fortune to be on an frc team in high school. it definitely kept me from doing a bunch of dumb lame poo poo after school and i learned valuable lessons about engineering, leadership, communication, and interpersonal relations.

i'm trying to remember weird stuff we did but i'm not coming up with a lot, i think because i lived it firsthand and it all kind of runs together. one time i sent a robot to the field with an important motor and gearbox just sort of stuck on because there wasn't enough time to fix it properly (it worked and we won).

during the elimination rounds one year (2012?) one of our alliance members had an automatic ball shooter that worked well and one had a shooter that didn't work. to get the maximum number of points in the autonomous period we loaded up the broken bot's internal conveyor with balls and programmed it to reverse its ball intake after ~5 seconds. we stuck it human centipede style against the front of the working robot so it would collect and shoot both sets of balls. it worked really well actually.

i was the guy who stood behind the drivers and yelled at them, and if we did well and made it to the finals i also got to yell at the other teams' drivers.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
you folks make me feel real dumb for modifying stupid rasppi projects to my own needs, like testing various minerals in soil, or making a stupid environmental sensor for my server room. . .

or being happy when the 1.5 acre site to site shot with wifi bridges works fine and I can stream plex from my house 50 miles from my parents, to my parents, then over that site to site, to some jank rear end redneck network built by a bunch of drunken rednecks, to an HD projector shooting a 20 foot diagonal image on a wall.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

enotnert posted:

or being happy when the 1.5 acre site to site shot with wifi bridges works fine and I can stream plex from my house 50 miles from my parents, to my parents, then over that site to site, to some jank rear end redneck network built by a bunch of drunken rednecks, to an HD projector shooting a 20 foot diagonal image on a wall.

that is kinda neat tbh

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPV1YEQoZn0

a good idea, thanks. its the last of the remaining placeholder crates anyway which is why it looks generaic

this looks fun, please add bangin background tunes and release for OS X and iOS so I can play tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i've seen a ton of different control mechanisms at the competitions. most common is probably 2 or 3 joysticks -- 1-2 for the driver depending on arcade or tank mode, and one for the guy operating the pickup, shooting, etc. other functions. but i've also seen a joystick and a throttle like a fighter jet, a steering wheel with a hand throttle, a couple of xbox gamepads (especially for the omnibots that can translate in any direction). i don't know why xbox controllers aren't more common...the kids have tons of experience with that input method already

the weirdest/most clever thing i saw was a kinect. they didn't actually use it for driving, but in the 30 second autonomous period where you aren't allowed to touch the controls. it doesn't say you can't control the robot, just that you cannot be within ten feet of the driver's station. so they stuck a kinect on their thing facing the driver and could do gestures to select one of a couple different pre-programmed movement patterns once they saw what the other teams we doing autonomously. pretty smart. after that our programmer built in a thing that would watch the laptop driver station's webcam and our driver could hold up a colored card for similar functionality. worked great actually except the main breaker kept blowing in the matches because the custom student-designed gearbox kept failing and getting locked in high gear, and then a robot would shove us around and the motors would all stall as the driver tried to get out cause we couldn't drop down for more torque, and blam

it's quite an experience yes

:pcgaming: