Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Daniel Bryan posted:

Here's the thing, the career mode in 2K15 (current gen) is actually the best once since SDvsRAW '07, which had the season mode that we came to expect at the time.

Starting with '08, the first one available on PS3, they started screwing with the career mode and it hasn't been as good since. That said, starting with SDvsRAW '09, they added the "Road To Wrestlemania" modes which were good and lots of fun, but short. '09 also had a Career mode, but it's much lamer than 2K15's. No stories, no cutscenes, no drama, just play matches and win titles. Not very fun at all.

The later games on PS3 kind of focus on Universe Mode as the central part, so you really don't have any options for a meaty career mode. Universe mode is kind of a hybrid of the '09 Career mode and the old GM mode. The problem is that it's a master of neither. WWE '13's Attitude Era mode is awesome, and I liked 2K14's 30 Years of Wrestlemania mode too. Go with which one of these heavily scripted modes you'd think you'd like best. I remember hating WWE '12's mode just because it was too scripted, to the point you'd almost never finish matches. It was infuriating.

I can't even remember a WWE game past HCTP with a career mode that wasn't brutally repetitive and/or filled with poo poo like "win 5 handicap matches!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
The best career mode was whichever one where you run around backstage in first person and Stacy Keibler hangs around the concession stands telling you to gently caress off. Then you run on a treadmill with Brock Lesnar.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I can't even remember a WWE game past HCTP with a career mode that wasn't brutally repetitive and/or filled with poo poo like "win 5 handicap matches!"

Up until '08, I recall that the season modes at least had substance and storylines. They're all going to get repetitive at some point but they still tried.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
much like everything to do with wrestle games career mode has been all downhill since No Mercy

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

drat, I might grab 2K14 though, it sounds pretty good after giving it a look over.

How about the UFC games? I haven't played one of those in ages either, have they made any good career modes as of late?

UFC 3 is pretty standard career mode I guess. that's the last UFC game on Ps3.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Best career mode was the GameCube WWE game where Stephanie McMahon sends you on a mission to murder dockworkers, destroy merchandise and drive forklifts.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Best career mode was the GameCube WWE game where Stephanie McMahon sends you on a mission to murder dockworkers, destroy merchandise and drive forklifts.

Ahaha, holy poo poo I forgot about this. I distinctly remember playing as Matt Hardy and beating on dockworkers with a sledgehammer.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
The only console we have is a regular old Wii, and I was really itching for a new WWE game, so yesterday I went out and bought WWE 13. For some reason a used copy cost 50 bucks but whatever. I started the Attitude era and it was really fun and also pretty accurate from what I remember. The challenges haven't been too difficult yet but I fell like they might get to be after a while.

On the other hand, it looks like absolute garbage. Shawn and Hunter look insane. The crowd is made of ghostly blobs. The CAW options are exactly the same as on SVR11. Hopefully the PS3 and Xbox versions are way better.

I definitely play it long enough to get my money's worth, hopefully long enough until 2K15 comes out on PC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cardboard Box posted:

the best career mode ever was wwf raw for the xbox because it was entirely random and you'd end up with ric flair embroiled in a feud with lita over the world heavyweight championship

This is all I want out of a career mode. I want randomness. I understand you can't have infinite story lines, so by changing up the competitors kept it fresh. But idiots like those on IGN complained about that stuff and wanted character specific stories, so that meant every time you played through a career mode, you fought the exact same people over and over.

Give me the Punk/Cena pipe bomb storyline, but change it every time.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

hahaha i had that game at one point, it was a precursor to WWE Day of Reckoning and it was pretty bad

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cardboard Box posted:

hahaha i had that game at one point, it was a precursor to WWE Day of Reckoning and it was pretty bad

Nah, 19 was pretty solid. 18 was the one that was awful.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I remember playing some match where I was against Benoit in a warehouse and I had to climb up some ungodly large ladder. It was so big that you couldn't climb it without Benoit yanking you off. It was drat impossible.

And even with that it was a million times better than WWE 12's story mode.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Defending the European title (since there's no undercard belt for NXT in 2k15 and you can't make titles anymore) at Takeover, Tyler Breeze (looking like a face transplant recipient, thanks Community Creations) retained in a triple threat by hitting his spinning wheel kick on both opponents in succession, like dominos getting knocked over. Pinned Itami for the win. It's the little things that I enjoy.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

I can't see any way of getting over the Epic -> Legendary hump. I have my freebie Legendary, but every Legendary KOTR I've been in has had enough sandbaggers that my Epic team don't get anywhere near the finals. Playing Exhibition for the vague hope of a Legendary card once every 10,000 games isn't very fun.

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Nut Bunnies posted:

I remember playing some match where I was against Benoit in a warehouse and I had to climb up some ungodly large ladder. It was so big that you couldn't climb it without Benoit yanking you off. It was drat impossible.

And even with that it was a million times better than WWE 12's story mode.

You mean like this?

I guess this is a good place to say that if you're curious about a career mode in any modern-ish WWE wrestling game, newLEGACYinc have pretty much played them all. The best ones from what I've watched are Raw 2 (a normally lovely game enhanced by a batshit insane career mode, but was only released on the original Xbox) and basically any game that has Road to Wrestlemania in it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I wish balancing TEW2013 mods wasn't so rough. There's such a gap between cult and national - been trying to figure out a way to wrangle GFW into a present-day mod that would allow them to absorb all the castoffs from the newly dead TNA while still not quite nipping at the heels of the WWE. Basically, the way popularity and hiring tendencies work, you have the top guys on international TV-listed feds, who will only sign with international TV-listed feds, and you've got the kings of the indies, who will sign with most anybody at regional and above, but there's such a big gap between the two. There are a lot of guys who will pretty much only take offers from WWE, and as such there's no room at all for a larger fed. You get big penalties for not having workers with B-something popularity, and the only guy I could get in that range was CM Punk. Everybody else didn't want to play ball.

I mean the counter-argument is "build your own megastars" but goddamn if I don't want to start a war right now

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Prozach posted:

You mean like this?

I guess this is a good place to say that if you're curious about a career mode in any modern-ish WWE wrestling game, newLEGACYinc have pretty much played them all. The best ones from what I've watched are Raw 2 (a normally lovely game enhanced by a batshit insane career mode, but was only released on the original Xbox) and basically any game that has Road to Wrestlemania in it.

Like all original X-Box wrestling games, Raw 2 is a really, really bad game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

CoughDefJamCoughCough

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Genericide posted:

I can't see any way of getting over the Epic -> Legendary hump. I have my freebie Legendary, but every Legendary KOTR I've been in has had enough sandbaggers that my Epic team don't get anywhere near the finals. Playing Exhibition for the vague hope of a Legendary card once every 10,000 games isn't very fun.

The way it used to work is that you'd just keep trying KOTR until you found one that you could squeak through to the semis in. Once you get your first Legend pair then it gets easier.

Of course now you have to WIN the thing to get a pair, so I am not sure the best way to go about it.

Yesterday I was grinding for points and faced someone who had a Pro NWO Hogan. Before the contest even ended. drat people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Remember Wrestlemania 20 for Xbox and how it was so broken at launch that they had to issue a patch via the Xbox's firmware because there was no way for the game to connect to the Live servers?

Good times.

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

triplexpac posted:

The way it used to work is that you'd just keep trying KOTR until you found one that you could squeak through to the semis in. Once you get your first Legend pair then it gets easier.

Of course now you have to WIN the thing to get a pair, so I am not sure the best way to go about it.

Yesterday I was grinding for points and faced someone who had a Pro NWO Hogan. Before the contest even ended. drat people.

Even if you win the thing, you don't get a pair, just two random cards. It makes it a tedious grind of hoarding Legendaries until you get lucky.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheJoker138 posted:

Remember Wrestlemania 20 for Xbox and how it was so broken at launch that they had to issue a patch via the Xbox's firmware because there was no way for the game to connect to the Live servers?

Good times.

WrestleMania 21, actually. Because THQ thought it would be a great idea to assign the game to the studio whose only other credit was motherfucking Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Genericide posted:

Even if you win the thing, you don't get a pair, just two random cards. It makes it a tedious grind of hoarding Legendaries until you get lucky.

Seriously???? Wow, somehow I missed that! I had just assumed it would be a pair.

Thank god I got a couple Legendary pairs before they clamped down on that, then.

I'm over 10,000 matches in Exhibition and I have never got anything worthwhile from a random drop haha.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I started playing about a month ago and I definitely think I hit a wall. I've been at Super Rare in KOTR for two weeks or so and can't seem to tick the thing up even with the handful of Super Rare's I get from finishing in the semifinals or quarter finals of KOTR or the occasional exhibition drop. I'm not sure how to win a KOTR unless I'm at my iPad for the full 9 hours of the playoffs to refresh my team with energy and give boosts.

I'm not really into grinding this. I'll play through a board until I get a Rare or Super Rare every few hours when I swap my KotR cards around but I've just around 1000 matches. It just seems like the only way to advance is to grind, grind, grind and set your life around the KotR playoffs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The whole game is a horrible grind and not even fun and you should just delete it and be much happier.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Endless Mike posted:

The whole game is a horrible grind and not even fun and you should just delete it and be much happier.

This is what I did.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its folded into the background of poo poo I just open when I'm really bored and looking to kill 10 minutes on a commute or waiting for something. I think its just a matter of time before I give up on it and delete it. That's usually how these games go.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

the best career mode ever was wwf raw for the xbox because it was entirely random and you'd end up with ric flair embroiled in a feud with lita over the world heavyweight championship

Raw 2 had the amazing time in season mode when my best friend lost the tag team titles that he and another friend of ours held to Stone Cold and that well known partner of his, Terri, in a tables match, when Terri back body dropped him through a table.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

hahahah i miss when wrestling games let intergender matches happen

raw and raw 2 were bad games but they were pretty fun in a really stupid way

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 8, 2014

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Endless Mike posted:

One of us, one of us. Gooble gobble, gooble gobble.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
For those of you who are unable to bring yourselves to delete Supercard, they're slowly putting out info on the new mode:

quote:

It has been a week since we announced our upcoming new game event and I wanted to give you a little bit more details on the cards you should be building up now in preparation. After much playtesting we’ve settled in that you’ll need 22 cards for the event. 16 SuperStars, 4 Divas, and 2 Supports. Divas will getting a little something special too for this event. So get your decks ready. I think you’ll really enjoy what we have coming for you.

quote:

it will be a permanent mode but periodic like PCC

4 divas lol

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

triplexpac posted:

For those of you who are unable to bring yourselves to delete Supercard, they're slowly putting out info on the new mode:

4 divas lol

yep that did it, I gained the power to uninstall

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I think I can just about field 3 divas of legendary tier plus, really gonna have to scrape for a fourth. My superstars list is pretty extensive but still only runs to about 11 at epic pro+ level, I suspect everyone will be hurting for depth but it's hopefully gonna be an interesting alternative to sandbag KOTR.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
They released a patch for WWE 2K15

quote:

PlayStation 4 and Xbox One – Patch 1.02 Highlights

TOTAL NUMBER OF PATCH UPDATES: 190+; improvements include the following items:

MAJOR FIXES

Fixed issues that could affect a player’s save data and downloadable content
Fixed an issue that could impede progress in MyCAREER
Addressed several issues related to downloadable content presentation and intercompatibility
ONLINE MATCHES

Custom Superstar names now properly display on the loading screen of a Ranked Online match
Addressed an issue affect COM selection in Online Private Matches
GAMEPLAY & USER INTERFACE

Improved gameplay presentation related to the performance of certain moves.
Improved AI behavior in Tag Team and Royal Rumble matches
Springboard attacks against grounded opponents who are reacting or recovering will now animate more naturally.
Players are now able to use Tag Team Finishers properly with a custom-created tag team.
Comebacks should now be easier to perform
Clarified numerous message prompts to offer more useful information to the player
Addressed inconsistencies in text presentation in WWE Universe mode
Addressed scrolling issues for selecting Divas in the Superstar selection screen
Addressed a menu flow issue in Community Creations
CREATION SUITE

Addressed several issues related to downloadable content presentation and intercompatibility
Addressed a number of display issues when editing in WWE Creations
VISUAL PRESENTATION

Reduced the occurrences of visual distortions that can occur during entrances featuring characters with long hair
Characters who wear hats during entrances will no longer have two hats if you assign a hat in an alternate attire.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

triplexpac posted:

4 divas lol

Would have been really nice to know this yesterday because as cool as my survivor Sting is I would absolutely have let myself drop to the legendary AJ pair

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Raw 2 was fun because I liked to imagine that in some alternative universe 2003 Raws had small segments in between every match and promo where my guy, let's say Scott Steiner would follow someone, say Mark Henry, around all night begging him to be his manager, let him be my manager, form a team, rob him, etc. All while Trish was in week 13 of her Undisputed Title reign.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

don't forget attempting to drop boxes on peoples' heads backstage

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I guess I'll buy a ps4 and 2k15 now that they've fixed that two hat problem.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Quick question about TEW 2013. I just bought the game last night on my Windows 8.1 laptop and the game is screwy, all the images are pushed over to the left and the buttons don't work unless you click under where they display.

I checked the official forum and the best I got was "Adjust your display" and I'm running at the highest display possible. Anyone else have this issue? I'd post pictures but I'm at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That's a problem on Windows 7 too. I can't recall the specific steps needed to fix it, but it runs fine for me at 1366x778. The problem occurs because the resolution is too big, not too small. That's the sort of thing that happens with super-indie spreadsheet games. I could probably program this interface in Access.