Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Yeah, the one I got has the disks inside the cases in the box. The SM3DW one was shrinkwrapped though while the Nintendoland one was not, is that a common thing or is my new console not as new as I thought despite ordering it online? Everything else seems to be pretty immaculate looking so I assume it just comes that way.

Also XtraSmiley you could've gotten back to me about not wanting my extra :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Argue posted:

I read the article and I don't understand what it means for their profit to triple. Given their performance last year, wouldn't... wouldn't that mean they're going to be losing thrice as much?

-36 to 0 can be represented as 100% improvement

Awesome! posted:

does the mario world bundle come with a code or disk

Disk

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Really not enjoying the challenges at the end of Toad. Are they even worth it? 5 mins to collect coins and climb a tower and then get randomly killed by turnips twice in a row.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

NES Remix is really cool and fun and I am glad I downloaded it. I just spent 2 hours getting 3 stars on all the Super Mario, Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, and Zelda levels. Also, the stamps are really cool and make me nostalgic as hell.

Is NES Remix 2 as good as the first one?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Hekk posted:

Is NES Remix 2 as good as the first one?

I think it has a better selection of games and some of the challenges are a little more interesting, but if you're seeking tough rainbow star times it's also definitely easier to a degree. If you liked Remix you'll like the sequel.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Waltzing Along posted:

Really not enjoying the challenges at the end of Toad. Are they even worth it? 5 mins to collect coins and climb a tower and then get randomly killed by turnips twice in a row.
Go up without collecting any of your Toad entourage, defeat the magikoopas, then handle the rest from there. Also, don't forget the Golden Mushroom behind the second green pipe. I think that the level you unlock for completing every level and every challenge is arguably worth it. As difficult as it is, it's a great show of just how amazing the gamepad can be for gameplay elements, even though using the gamepad-specific elements in that level is entirely optional.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ultigonio posted:

Go up without collecting any of your Toad entourage, defeat the magikoopas, then handle the rest from there. Also, don't forget the Golden Mushroom behind the second green pipe. I think that the level you unlock for completing every level and every challenge is arguably worth it. As difficult as it is, it's a great show of just how amazing the gamepad can be for gameplay elements, even though using the gamepad-specific elements in that level is entirely optional.

I've done that one and posted that same advice in the thread. I'm talking about the last level w/ the bird. I never got hit once until I started trying to do the coin challenge. I don't get it. I never got hit by those pea shooters dudes either until this challenge.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Waltzing Along posted:

I've done that one and posted that same advice in the thread. I'm talking about the last level w/ the bird. I never got hit once until I started trying to do the coin challenge. I don't get it. I never got hit by those pea shooters dudes either until this challenge.
Oh geez, yeah, sorry, I know exactly what you're talking about. I did exactly that, too - collected everything, got all the coins I needed, got to the boss, died like a moron - twice. I'll reiterate that it may still be worth your time for the level it unlocks, even though it's extremely frustrating to get to the end of one of the only levels that's so long it has a checkpoint, only to die.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ultigonio posted:

Oh geez, yeah, sorry, I know exactly what you're talking about. I did exactly that, too - collected everything, got all the coins I needed, got to the boss, died like a moron - twice. I'll reiterate that it may still be worth your time for the level it unlocks, even though it's extremely frustrating to get to the end of one of the only levels that's so long it has a checkpoint, only to die.

Yeah. Especially to an easy boss that has a random mechanic. And it takes so loving long to get up there. So annoying. It's made me stop playing.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Picked up Smash Bros tonight, hoping to try the multiplayer. It was a hopelessly laggy mess. Would buying an ethernet adapter help at all, or am I going to have to move the console or the router or something?

(edit) Or is Smash online just like that and I made Another Poor Decision to buy it for that?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 8, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ciaphas posted:

Picked up Smash Bros tonight, hoping to try the multiplayer. It was a hopelessly laggy mess. Would buying an ethernet adapter help at all, or am I going to have to move the console or the router or something?

(edit) Or is Smash online just like that and I made Another Poor Decision to buy it for that?

Both options would work, but Sakurai or Nintendo or someone recommends getting an ethernet adapter to experience less/no lag. For the record, my router and Wii U are in the same room and I experience no lag at all.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
If you're having trouble on every match then it's your internet. Pretty much all of my matches run flawlessly.

People have said that turning off their phones and other wireless devices actually can help so try that.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Its PvP multiplayer, it could be you or any of the other people playing causing it to lag. Nothing you can do about it really.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Turn off your torrents and Netflix if you have that going.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also depends where you live and where you connect to. All of my matches are laggy because there's no regional select and it's probably matching me with people with 600 Ping to me

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

raditts posted:

Yeah, the one I got has the disks inside the cases in the box. The SM3DW one was shrinkwrapped though while the Nintendoland one was not, is that a common thing or is my new console not as new as I thought despite ordering it online? Everything else seems to be pretty immaculate looking so I assume it just comes that way.

Also XtraSmiley you could've gotten back to me about not wanting my extra :mad:

Yes same as your setup, NL no shrink. Sorry about not IMing you, I just got it Friday, and I'm trying to get my friend into getting one as well, hence the small chance he'll buy yours. I checked on the spare controllers I have and its two classics, not classic pros. I'm me if you're interested in them.

anyone else, I'd like a princess, Mario, and Luigi remote in case anyone would like to trade.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Does the NES Remix Pack have any content that the separate digital downloads don't have? Or is it just the two games on one disc?

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Also depends where you live and where you connect to. All of my matches are laggy because there's no regional select and it's probably matching me with people with 600 Ping to me

Yeah I don't understand why Nintendo didn't add region selection in Smash. Facing some Japanese person with the worst loving lag, is literally the worst and not fun at all.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Wootman posted:

Yeah I don't understand why Nintendo didn't add region selection in Smash. Facing some Japanese person with the worst loving lag, is literally the worst and not fun at all.

I was really hoping they had their online sorted after Mario Kart- that game plays perfectly for me 99% of the time, even on the worldwide playlist.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mariokart is a much simpler game to bring online. Most of it is just tracking everyone's positions/status, and if a racer is lagging a bit, there's some predictive leeway (ie, if someone was just driving straight ahead before they started lagging, it's not usually unreasonable for the software to assume they'll keep doing that for the next couple seconds).

The same kind of predictive leeway doesn't exist for a fighting game. There's a much wider variety of performable actions and states that fighters can be in, and it's all happening very quickly and unpredictably.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Yeah, one really telling thing about MK8's online that gives you an idea of how lenient on lag it really is; as you get close to the finish line on the final lap, your position number disappears because it doesn't want to give you the idea you're in a different place than you really are, then it pulls everyones finishing time from their local machine and uses that to determine final placing.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

LanceKing2200 posted:

Yeah, one really telling thing about MK8's online that gives you an idea of how lenient on lag it really is; as you get close to the finish line on the final lap, your position number disappears because it doesn't want to give you the idea you're in a different place than you really are, then it pulls everyones finishing time from their local machine and uses that to determine final placing.

Well that doesn't sound exploitable at all or anything.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Flagrama posted:

Well that doesn't sound exploitable at all or anything.

Oh no.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I bought a Peach amiibo as a Christmas present after I saw it in person. I was impressed with the level of detail and quality for the price. It is a trophy to celebrate my significant other finally learning how to play video games and beating SM3DW with Peach.

Not sure if it will get much action in Smash, but I could see myself buying a Dr. Mario in the future for a similar purpose. I guess I am one of the suckers who is tripling Nintendo's profits!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hell is 4895 coins.

This poo poo's harder than Champion's Road.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Un-be-fuckin-lievable. I did it. I finished Bayonetta. It was pretty cool, except for the way too long bike and Space Harrier (what?) sections. The turret was poo poo as well. Also some QTEs being instakills and some not? Uncool.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
I just started Bayonetta 2 today and at around the same point where there was a chapter-ending instakill QTE in Bayo 1, there has been nothing of the sort in Bayo 2, just boss finishers that actually make sense (like stomping the boss uses the kick button).

Basically what I'm saying is Bayo 2 already seems a lot better than 1 so get on that poo poo, man.

I also seem to be activating Witch Time a lot easier, but I don't know if they actually extended the window for it or if I'm actually better at the game despite having to kick the first one down to Easy mode.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wild Knight posted:

I just started Bayonetta 2 today and at around the same point where there was a chapter-ending instakill QTE in Bayo 1, there has been nothing of the sort in Bayo 2, just boss finishers that actually make sense (like stomping the boss uses the kick button).

Basically what I'm saying is Bayo 2 already seems a lot better than 1 so get on that poo poo, man.

I also seem to be activating Witch Time a lot easier, but I don't know if they actually extended the window for it or if I'm actually better at the game despite having to kick the first one down to Easy mode.

I went directly from the demo of 2 to playing 1 and noticed immediately I was worse at activating witch time in 1.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Bayonetta 2 is better than 1 in every way possible and fixes pretty much every gripe I had about the first game. Bayo 1 is still good and you should definitely play it first, but Bayo 2 is game of the year with or without awards shows declaring it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The first game definitely has stricter timing on triggering Witch Time, it took me a while to get used to it after I finished playing the second one a couple of times. 2 is an easier game overall and has a less impressive end but whatever, it's way better everywhere else.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Strange, I have no problems activating witch time outside a few poorly timed dodges so it's good to hear Bayo2 is easier on that front. I'm halfway through my first playthrough and and having virtually no issues outside the occasional stupid death and am consistently getting bronze to gold medals. The game is surprisingly intuitive.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I generally find most of Platinum's games do a terrible job explaining how to play it. A bunch of people warned me that Bayonetta was some Devil May Cry "learn 98 moves to be used uniquely" super complex affair.

And although that side of the game exists, I got through Bayonetta 1 largely by timing my dodges correctly and then whaling away on buttons.

Also, kudos to the game for highlighting the items that are most helpful to newbies in the shops too.

I hear Bayo 2 is even better in this regard, can't wait to get to it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The final level of Captain Toad is the most difficult thing I've ever encountered in a Nintendo game. I thought it was bad before, but it just keeps ramping up even further. This is not the cute friendly game the rest of it was.

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

RyokoTK posted:

Does the NES Remix Pack have any content that the separate digital downloads don't have? Or is it just the two games on one disc?

As long as you are talking about the Wii U disc version, this is the Wii U thread so I'm sure you are, yea it has all the stuff. Apparently the 3DS physical game is missing a few games though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Un-be-fuckin-lievable. I did it. I finished Bayonetta. It was pretty cool, except for the way too long bike and Space Harrier (what?) sections. The turret was poo poo as well. Also some QTEs being instakills and some not? Uncool.

After hearing how everyone hates it, I was kinda surprised to love the Space Harrier level :shobon: It's definitely way better than the second shmup level in W101 (though both are worse than the Star Fox level)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Witch time is easier to activate in Bayo 2 but to make up for it the duration is more flexible so you have to dodge more dangerous attacks to get full witch time duration.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also dodging taunted enemies gives you a piddly amount of witch time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

If Starfox U ends up controlling anything like the level in Bayonetta 2 (spoilers) then I'm skipping it. Miyamoto's a perfect specimen, though, so that won't happen.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Looper posted:

After hearing how everyone hates it, I was kinda surprised to love the Space Harrier level :shobon: It's definitely way better than the second shmup level in W101 (though both are worse than the Star Fox level)

It would be fine if it was 1/4 as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would be fine if you didn't have to play to get to the rockass Jeanne boss fight.

• Locked thread