Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
So I picked up the South Park:Stick of Truth game on the Steam fall sale and I've got to say, there's a ton of little things that make this "South Park: The Game" but the one thing I wasn't expecting was the music. And to a certain extent it's not really a little thing I suppose, but there's just this perfect little twist on the game's original music that takes it from "Generic RPG Soundtrack" to "Lovingly Taking the Piss out of RPG Soundtracks." The shining example I guess is that the "super epic" Latin choral for the world map is sung by Cartman. Oh, and the chiptune version of "Blame Canada".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xander77 posted:

The storms in this game look and feel really nice. At one point I was cresting a killer wave with a bunch of enemy ships getting crashed all around me, and could swear a kraken/Cthulhu was about to raise from the deeps any devour everyone involved (that would have been the best easter egg ever)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-H8N0ZDfpc

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Polaron posted:

In Dragon Age: Inquisition, there's a dragon in a starting area that's likely going to be the first dragon you end up fighting. As you run through the valley it lives in, it keeps flying by overhead and divebombing you with fire with you're assaulted by smaller dragonlings.

Then you reach the big open area where it's made its home. You see the dragon land in the distance, and then the music starts.

Slowly at first. And then as you get closer, the music starts getting more and more intense. And then when it really kicks into gear, your characters enter the arena proper and unsheathe their weapons. It does an amazing job of pumping you up to fight this giant creature the size of a house.

I hope you took Iron Bull as your tank because the follow up to slaying your first dragon with him in your party is the most bioware.txt thing you could possibly imagine.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That was... less impressive than I thought it'd be.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I was watching a stream of the HD version of Kingdom Hearts 1. It palette swaps most of the enemies in the game, and they were pointing out that the first boss that's been recoloured looks a lot worse, and it's just a garish jumble of colours instead of purple/black/silver:

It's a kinda ugly colour job that makes it look like a giant children's toy, but it's also a reference to the classic giant badly coloured children's toy, the Gundam:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Far Cry 4 is full of stuff for this thread but a recent discovery is so little and so appreciated. Once you get your first home, the Ghale homestead, it comes with a complementary pipe. If you use the pipe it teleports you to a random location and leaves you in a drug haze. Since I've beat the game and kinda run out of things to do, this pipe is perfect for when I wanna load up the game and just muck about in the wild.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Kotaku just had an article on the audio of Red Dead Redemption, which reminded me just how amazing and full of little things it actually was. There's the audio and music - which were mentioned - but here's some things from Red Dead that I love:

When you cross into Mexico and this song starts playing, it really hits home how far the narrative has changed and how far your character has come, as well as how far you have left to go.

How desolate the desert actually is. There is a palpable sense of loneliness when you look out at a vista at night, and hear a wolf howl.

The voice acting is drat near perfect, especially the snake-oil salesman you do some missions for.

There's some cool mysteries to certain sidequests - the haunted town and the Strange Man for example.

Great, now I have to play the whole game all over again.

I really wish they'd port this to PC. I play my 360 less and less nowadays, slowly transitioning over to Steam and goddamn if this isn't the top console exclusive for me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really wish they'd port this to PC. I play my 360 less and less nowadays, slowly transitioning over to Steam and goddamn if this isn't the top console exclusive for me.

The codebase is apparently really badly held together and fragmented to the point where a port of the game would require as much effort as programming an entirely new game, so it's pretty much out the window. Though, with the new consoles, I could see them finally putting in the effort. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

flatluigi posted:

The codebase is apparently really badly held together and fragmented to the point where a port of the game would require as much effort as programming an entirely new game, so it's pretty much out the window. Though, with the new consoles, I could see them finally putting in the effort. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Seems kind of like a bullshit excuse as it's already available on the PS3 and the 360, and every other game using that engine is on the PC.

Maybe the scripting and what not added is really hosed, I don't know. But it feels unlikely that they could gently caress things up that bad but then make it work on 2 out 3 platforms at the time.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jehde posted:

Far Cry 4 is full of stuff for this thread but a recent discovery is so little and so appreciated. Once you get your first home, the Ghale homestead, it comes with a complementary pipe. If you use the pipe it teleports you to a random location and leaves you in a drug haze. Since I've beat the game and kinda run out of things to do, this pipe is perfect for when I wanna load up the game and just muck about in the wild.

I thought that pipe was the reward for finishing the Yogi quests? Or at least it looks like the one they give you and I never noticed it in the homestead until after I completed their questlines. Either way it is still a fun little thing. I've only used it 3 times and each time its dropped me in a previously undiscovered location. I dont know if it always does that if there is one you havent discovered or I've just been lucky 3 times on the RNG.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Less Fat Luke posted:

Seems kind of like a bullshit excuse as it's already available on the PS3 and the 360, and every other game using that engine is on the PC.

Maybe the scripting and what not added is really hosed, I don't know. But it feels unlikely that they could gently caress things up that bad but then make it work on 2 out 3 platforms at the time.

Actually both the 360 and the PS3 used PowerPC processors, like older Macs. Whatever crazy poo poo they had to do to get that game working as well as it did, it apparently involved writing poo poo to the processor, which means a port to x86 would be nightmarish. I wouldn't even expect to see a PS4/XBOne port any time soon, if ever.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

SiKboy posted:

I thought that pipe was the reward for finishing the Yogi quests? Or at least it looks like the one they give you and I never noticed it in the homestead until after I completed their questlines.

Oh it very well could be, I only noticed it awhile after I beat the game, so. :v:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

slingshot effect posted:

I hope you took Iron Bull as your tank because the follow up to slaying your first dragon with him in your party is the most bioware.txt thing you could possibly imagine.
He doesn't actually have to be there, if you're talking about the celebratory drinking scene.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I like about the Assassins Creed America games is that they have crafting which you get from hunting. However if you don't feel like hunting or just have part of what you need you can just buy the materials.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I got Alien: Isolation last week but only got around to starting it this evening. When you first wake up from Cryosleep you're told to go find clothes. If you speak to Samuels before getting dressed he'll talk normally but at the end tell you to put clothes on before your meeting. Very like JC Denton in the Women's bathroom!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
It's not really a Little Thing, and I'm not sure why it stumbled into my brain, but whatever:

Morrowind's core plot is seriously hosed up, depending on your choices / interpretations, and I love it.

A world-spanning empire sends a common criminal to the one nation they didn't practically nuke-and-pave, because the criminal has a background that fits that nation's Jesus Archetype. They do this because said nation is obstinate as gently caress, and the Empire will have an 'in' with the country by saying "Hey, you obstinate folks! Your Jesus is one of us!"

Now, the Jesus Archetype itself? It's not really true. It's a creation of a demigod who was jealous that a bunch of mortals decided to become lesser demigods to help their people actively instead of relying on said demigods whose entire schtick is "they might help you, they might stab you in the back, depending on the hour of the day".

Morrowind is a story about one group exploiting another, using the rantings of a jealous ex-girlfriend to do so.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Except it turns out the prophecy is actually true and you really are the Jesus. You fulfill all the prophesized requirements, take down the Satan figure, then destroy the false gods who have descended into corruption and madness. If the archetype is fake, you still had Azura's backing to fulfill it.

As for the Empire, humbling local beliefs and strengthening imperial rule was a bonus- the main concern was actually taking out Dagoth Ur and the threat he poses to the world.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It kind of reminds me of The Addams Family, when the bad guys send in Gordon to rip off the family, because the dude looks a lot like Uncle Fester. Turns out, it actually is him, he just lost his memory.

Edit: I think that makes Jiub Cousin Itt or something, though I could be wrong.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Dec 8, 2014

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Judging by books in Oblivion, Morrowind went to complete poo poo after the events of the game.
- Two of the demigods have died, the last one has fled before the godly powers have completely waned (since the source of his/hers/its powers was destroyed).
- Remember that gigantic rock that was being held up in the air above the capital city as a display of power by said demigod? Well, it came crashing down leading to some kind of cataclysm where the volcano became active again and started spewing lava and ash everywhere.
- Aragonians invade the isle, being sick and tired of their brethren being enslaved by the local population.

And as for the main character, s/he went on a journey to a distant region and was conveniently never heard from again.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Judging by books in Oblivion, Morrowind went to complete poo poo after the events of the game.
- Two of the demigods have died, the last one has fled before the godly powers have completely waned (since the source of his/hers/its powers was destroyed).
- Remember that gigantic rock that was being held up in the air above the capital city as a display of power by said demigod? Well, it came crashing down leading to some kind of cataclysm where the volcano became active again and started spewing lava and ash everywhere.
- Aragonians invade the isle, being sick and tired of their brethren being enslaved by the local population.

And as for the main character, s/he went on a journey to a distant region and was conveniently never heard from again.

-You kill one of them yourself in the first Morrowind expansion. Vivec was either abducted by Daedra or also killed by the player.
-It's even better than that- with Vivec missing, they build this device powered by souls to keep it afloat, and when one guy tries to rescue his wife's soul, it breaks. When that happens, the rock doesn't just drop, it drops with all of the momentum it had when it was first thrown- and since it was an asteroid, it's a lot. Vivec City turns into a fantasy Chicxulub Crater, Red Mountain begins sending lava and ash everywhere, and Morrowind as a whole is so hosed up it basically falls apart and out of the empire.
-Slavery had been banned for several years by that point, but the Argonians decided it was time to put the shoe on the other foot, so they seceded and invaded.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The Elder Scrolls books also have magic spaceships and moonbases, swords so sharp that they cause nuclear explosions because their edge can split an atom, a race of catpeople where the phase of the moon you were born in determines whether you're a sentient man-cat or a giant feral cat, and the implicit acknowledgment that the universe is a game and the ability of the player character to pause it and chug a bunch of recovery potions or reload a save when they die is canon.

What I'm saying is that the Elder Scrolls owns, even if 20 years of accumulated fiction with one of the main writers being an unstable drug addict couldn't possibly be fully realized in any game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Mierenneuker posted:

But on the upside, that guy you arrived with on the boat to Morrowind went on to personally kill every single Cliff Racer, before retiring to a nice, peaceful life in...

Well, Kvatch. But Morrowind was happy!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cleretic posted:

But on the upside, that guy you arrived with on the boat to Morrowind went on to personally kill every single Cliff Racer, before retiring to a nice, peaceful life in...

Well, Kvatch. But Morrowind was happy!

He died the greatest hero Tamriel has or will ever know. I still twitch when I hear Cliff Racer sound effects.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Kavak posted:

Except it turns out the prophecy is actually true and you really are the Jesus. You fulfill all the prophesized requirements, take down the Satan figure, then destroy the false gods who have descended into corruption and madness. If the archetype is fake, you still had Azura's backing to fulfill it.

You literally missed the entire point of Morrowind if you think this is true. The game like, literally tells you that the entire idea of prophecy is self-fulfilling, and that plenty of people had met all the requirements before you and were deemed Nerevarine except they died, and the only reason the prophecy is "true" in your case is because you didn't.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Kavak posted:

He died the greatest hero Tamriel has or will ever know. I still twitch when I hear Cliff Racer sound effects.

The greatest hero who sends you on a tedious fetch quest in Skyrim. But the reward is pretty cool I guess.

I also like that even after death Sinderion is still doing the same poo poo in Skyrim as he did in Oblivion.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Kavak posted:

-Slavery had been banned for several years by that point, but the Argonians decided it was time to put the shoe on the other foot, so they seceded and invaded.

It took a while, because prior to Oblivion the Argonians couldn't wear shoes :v:

This may be unique to Morrowind, but don't nitpick my jokes, n'wah.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:24 on Dec 8, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

-You kill one of them yourself in the first Morrowind expansion. Vivec was either abducted by Daedra or also killed by the player.

Vivec is actually the one who is still alive. Almalexia had already killed the third of their panthenon before you arrived.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The Elder Scrolls books also have magic spaceships and moonbases

Wait, what? Where was this?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Comstar posted:

Wait, what? Where was this?

The spheres of Oblivion that the Daedric princes rule over are other planets. Expeditions into them is effectively interstellar travel except through portaling rather than ships, although that's not unheard of either. The Battlespire, where the ES spinoff game of the same name takes place, is just kind of floating through space and was constructed when the Imperials figured out how to make equipment that would let them survive in a sea of magic/space, which they did well before the first game ever takes place, they just decided space travel was a bit much when one continent was hard enough to manage.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kimmalah posted:

I also like that even after death Sinderion is still doing the same poo poo in Skyrim as he did in Oblivion.

When I accidentally activated the quest "A Return to Your Roots," I just laughed and kept walking, which is what I should've done the first time I met the fucker at the West Weald Inn back in Oblivion.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Heavy Lobster posted:

The spheres of Oblivion that the Daedric princes rule over are other planets. Expeditions into them is effectively interstellar travel except through portaling rather than ships, although that's not unheard of either. The Battlespire, where the ES spinoff game of the same name takes place, is just kind of floating through space and was constructed when the Imperials figured out how to make equipment that would let them survive in a sea of magic/space, which they did well before the first game ever takes place, they just decided space travel was a bit much when one continent was hard enough to manage.

I've always loved this aspect of Elder Scrolls. It's still mostly a fantasy themed game, but there's actually quite a bit of sci-fi mixed in if you dig deep enough into the lore.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Esroc posted:

I've always loved this aspect of Elder Scrolls. It's still mostly a fantasy themed game, but there's actually quite a bit of sci-fi mixed in if you dig deep enough into the lore.

Might and Magic was a lot less subtle.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

When I accidentally activated the quest "A Return to Your Roots," I just laughed and kept walking, which is what I should've done the first time I met the fucker at the West Weald Inn back in Oblivion.

Really that quest is a lot easier than Oblivion's. I just explored Blackreach in general and found 44 of the things (plus they respawn).

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Man, Elder Scrolls lore is messed up. Then again, sci-fi elements in fantasy settings seems to be a common trope.

Anyway, I did like how some games had different dialog for already completing a quest's objective before starting it. "I need you to find this thing for me." "Actually, I already found it." "You did? Huh, good job." It's a great thing, and sometimes I like to see how many quests I can complete before activating them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Starhawk64 posted:

Man, Elder Scrolls lore is messed up. Then again, sci-fi elements in fantasy settings seems to be a common trope.

Anyway, I did like how some games had different dialog for already completing a quest's objective before starting it. "I need you to find this thing for me." "Actually, I already found it." "You did? Huh, good job." It's a great thing, and sometimes I like to see how many quests I can complete before activating them.

This is great if you ever replay a game because you can just kind of knock out a bunch of quests at once.

And as mentioned earlier, a lot of the old Elder Scrolls lore was written by a sort of crazy alcoholic. He recently came out with more ES stuff, called C0DA, which is basically what happens when nobody is around to tell him "hey Michael maybe that's a little too weird and incoherent."

Of course now I'm probably going to be crucified by rabid Morrowind fans. :ohdear:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I really love how deep elder scrolls lore can get. Just the idea of dragon breaks is cool as gently caress.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I always thought there was something akin to Philip K. Dick in the lore.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

You literally missed the entire point of Morrowind if you think this is true. The game like, literally tells you that the entire idea of prophecy is self-fulfilling, and that plenty of people had met all the requirements before you and were deemed Nerevarine except they died, and the only reason the prophecy is "true" in your case is because you didn't.

I misunderstood/forgot that the failed incarnates didn't die from putting on the Moon-and-Star ring. That perspective makes a little more sense now.

EDIT: Knowing Kirkbride, I wouldn't put it past him to have written the fates of tester characters in as some of the failed incarnates- they turned an Argonian one into a dead NPC. Also is it confirmed that Kirkbride has drug/alcohol problems or are we assuming?

Kavak has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Dec 8, 2014

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Kavak posted:

Also is it confirmed that Kirkbride has drug/alcohol problems or are we assuming?

I don't know if there's ever been anything explicit, but his description of the writing process for The 36 Lessons of Vivec was: "It was one dev, naked in a room with a carton of cigarettes, a thermos full of coffee and bourbon, and all his summoned angels."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

One of my favorite things about Dragon Age:Inquisition is it gives you the option to hide your character's helmet. It's nice that I can actually look at the character I created.