Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think it's become pretty obvious by now that Matt and Pat's feelings on The Evil Within are Mixed to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

kill the monster chasing you so you can get bonus items is not a huge leap of logic

Except the game has previously punished fighting a monster you're being chased by, and actually includes a loading screen tip telling them it's best to not try that. Plus there's no sense from observing the items and their location that you would need to kill the boss, nor are you given time to learn that or make the choice as the encounter is happening. It's not like that in a vacuum killing an optional boss for extra rewards is bad, but the game doesn't do anything to let you figure out that is a choice you can make, and when it's been teaching you to always run away from pursuing bosses. And that is a failure of game designer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Holy gently caress, is there seriously another third of the game left?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
But the game repeatedly rewarded them for beating SafeMan, to the point that they abused it.
It's pretty obvious when a boss is killable or not given she was visibly taking damage.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Holy gently caress, is there seriously another third of the game left?

The game is infinitely longer than it needs to be and is a testament to why games like it do not need to be some week spanning epic.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Beef Waifu posted:

The game is infinitely longer than it needs to be and is a testament to why games like it do not need to be some week spanning epic.

I think it's because I'm getting older, but nowadays my take on story-driven games is "if you can't tell your tale in 6-8 hours maximum, gently caress you".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, that's basically my philosophy unless it's like an RPG and even those I've begun realizing need to basically have a fun combat system to drive me forward more.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Dias posted:

I think it's because I'm getting older, but nowadays my take on story-driven games is "if you can't tell your tale in 6-8 hours maximum, gently caress you".

We'll I dunno some games that are tens of hours long like an rpg will make their story stronger for it like persona, what's important is that the experience and gameplay are good throughout. Like despite its length I loving love yakuza and persona 4

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

We'll I dunno some games that are tens of hours long like an rpg will make their story stronger for it like persona, what's important is that the experience and gameplay are good throughout.

Well, that mostly exempts RPGs, those are usually trying to be an epic instead of telling a very contained story. Even then there are plenty of those that could use some trimming. Persona's weird because you're living a life day-by-day and making friends, so it's fitting for it to be 120h long.

Sandbox games are another story too, because you could power thru the main plotline fast, but that's not the point. I clocked 22h on Sleeping Dogs before I beat it, for instance.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Alien Isolation is like 16 hours, isn't it?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Tae posted:

Alien Isolation is like 16 hours, isn't it?

Yeah that's definitely exhibit A of too long to the point that it made the game actively worse for it.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Two of my favorite games of all time are Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner and METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE and they are some of the shortest games I've ever played. For me it's always been about how solid those hours are, and I get really pissed off as soon as a game feels like it's completely out of ideas and padding itself out (I don't think I've ever been more angry at a game than at Sonic Unleashed when I realized how its level gating worked).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey Matt, do you guys ever plan to have a throwback series? Like, Giant Bomb has "Encyclopedia Bombastica", where individual crewmembers(sometimes pairs/groups) play through a classic game, usually from the 80's/90's, to show it as a sort of history piece. I'd love to see you guys do something similar. I know you do throwback things occasionally like older fighting games on FNF, but if you did videos on your favorite childhood games that'd be awesome to see.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The Evil Within is melting Pat's PS4.

I can't remember if they've ever abandoned a playthrough before, but I bet Pat's really wanting to with this one, holy poo poo.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

ChibiSoma posted:

The Evil Within is melting Pat's PS4.

I can't remember if they've ever abandoned a playthrough before, but I bet Pat's really wanting to with this one, holy poo poo.

At this point, I wouldn't blame them. TEW is starting to wear out its welcome, literally.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I died. I hack cough laughed at the caravan of Benoits climbing the cage. Also yeah Pat needs to get his beard back asap, my first reaction was "Hey, who is this skeevy kemo patient who barged into the lets play like th- Oh god it's Pat."

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
The Game Awards video is up. It is 3 hours of Pat, Liam, and Woolie talking over the show. Stream had audio issues for the first 8 minutes.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey Matt, do you guys ever plan to have a throwback series? Like, Giant Bomb has "Encyclopedia Bombastica", where individual crewmembers(sometimes pairs/groups) play through a classic game, usually from the 80's/90's, to show it as a sort of history piece. I'd love to see you guys do something similar. I know you do throwback things occasionally like older fighting games on FNF, but if you did videos on your favorite childhood games that'd be awesome to see.

They've done it before. Megaman and DKC and such, I think they didn't like it.

Edit: Oh wait they did a Game Awards video? I thought it was the Sony thing. Lame.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 8, 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They've done it before. Megaman and DKC and such, I think they didn't like it.

Edit: Oh wait they did a Game Awards video? I thought it was the Sony thing. Lame.

They did it for the sony video too. It's coming tomorrow (I think).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Oh wow that Destiny argument really got super heated.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh wow that Destiny argument really got super heated.

How far in is this?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

How far in is this?

Around 1:41:00, it slowly builds for the next 10 or so minutes.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 8, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Goddamnit Liam, Awakening had Multiplayer. Why do you always lie.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

Liam in any argument is the absolute worst poo poo on the entire website.

Like, it's all "No I mean it's really really bad because there's almost no content in this expansion, but like It's actually okay because the game is 3D and takes time to make good things and a lot of people are really liking even though I admitted it is bad." It really feels like he's doing it to just disagree with Pat and it feels really disingenuous and annoying.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 8, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae posted:

Woolie being a liar is a joke (for videos anyway) but Liam never stops. He's deadpan at times and it's great but man he gets so much poo poo wrong it's frustrating and at this point I'm starting to think it's on purpose.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dragon Age are you loving serious

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

havenwaters posted:

The Game Awards video is up. It is 3 hours of Pat, Liam, and Woolie talking over the show. Stream had audio issues for the first 8 minutes.

Please tell Pat that he has too many items on his task bar, Matt.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Rodyle posted:

I looked up Twitter after that and oh boy... The less said about the judges the better.
EDIT:
..."Problematic".

HGH fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Dec 8, 2014

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

it's a good game

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

it's a good game

That's nice for it, but it's not Dark Souls or Bayo.

It isn't really even Mordor.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I cannot believe the best friends like Dark Souls 2 over Bayonetta 2. That seems crazy to me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

That's nice for it, but it's not Dark Souls or Bayo.

It isn't really even Mordor.

if you think either of those first two games is going to get GOTY from an american awards show you're nuts

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blockhouse posted:

if you think either of those first two games is going to get GOTY from an american awards show you're nuts

They should though

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

The Souls games aren't some ultra niche series, this one was announced at the last show for gently caress's sake.

Ah whatever, Geoff probably got paid by EA.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 8, 2014

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Rodyle posted:

Ah whatever, Geoffrey probably got paid by EA.

Well, seeing as how DA:I was the only game nominated for GOTY that got a musical performance during the awards...yeah.

Not saying it's a bad game or anything, but woulda loved to see Bayo2 or DS2 win over it, definitely.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
How did none of those motherfuckers recognize Koji Kondo. Matt fire everyone.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Rodyle posted:

Ah whatever, Geoff probably got paid by EA.

Charles Martel posted:

Or it could just be "games journalism".

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Al-Saqr posted:

Around 1:41:00, it slowly builds for the next 10 or so minutes.

I've seen this now. Yeah, it got a bit heated, but that's nowhere near as bad as me watching the Playstation Experience with my friends and me having to walk out of the room when the SF5 gameplay trailer came up and they both argued over Street Fighter being poo poo compared to Guilty Gear and vice versa. I came back and made fun of them for it and then they proceeded to do it again 20 minutes later.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Why do people care which games won a lovely award again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
Actually it's about ethics in games journalism.