Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
The Jedi book also is in playtesting right now so that's the main reason why people are talking about it as far as buffs/debuffs go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I get frustrated with the ship combat (just ran the race in Jewel of Yavin) because it sometimes feels like uneven and misplaced depth (though it does mostly mirror combat between people). There isn't as much for non-pilots to do, and even less for non-gunners to do. In the absence of the rich tactical environments of terrestrial fights, you have to work harder to make it feel like something other than a series of die rolls. I think it works best when the players have a goal other than "shoot the enemies."

Aside from that, though, the game is amazing. I love the narrative dice and the freeform character development, and of course, I love Star Wars! The supplements are really excellent. I think you could pretty easily have a campaign that used all three core books, and it would arguably be closest to the movies: even as he becomes a Jedi and gains standing with the Republic (AoR's Duty), Anakin clearly has EotE's Obligation back on Tatooine, and F&D's Morality as a (galaxy-changing) concern as a young man.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I think space combat will work a lot better with everyone in their own ships (or in pairs, as in my upcoming game). With an entire party on a Falcon-like freighter, there aren't many things for people to realistically be doing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Been toying around for a while with my ongoing WH40K/Mass Effect conversion, and I think having bigger ships where boarding is an actual danger should make non-pilots/non-gunners have something to do.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Azran posted:

Been toying around for a while with my ongoing WH40K/Mass Effect conversion, and I think having bigger ships where boarding is an actual danger should make non-pilots/non-gunners have something to do.

It's a real shame that for Dark Heresy 2nd Edition FFG didn't just bite the bullet and switch over the rules to a system like this.

Also, why are they not reprinting Warhammer Fantasy RPG 3rd Edtion!? That looked great, it just needed a cheaper buy in than the £60 box set.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
In a crewed ship, the techies have their hands as full as the pilot and gunners. Star Wars consoles are nearly as explosive as Star Trek consoles, after all, and things will go south pretty fast for the party if someone isn't repairing the strain and damage to the ship throughout the fight.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Valatar posted:

In a crewed ship, the techies have their hands as full as the pilot and gunners. Star Wars consoles are nearly as explosive as Star Trek consoles, after all, and things will go south pretty fast for the party if someone isn't repairing the strain and damage to the ship throughout the fight.

I don't feel "make the one die roll you can, in this situation" is much more interesting than "do nothing," since there's no interesting choice. Do I make this totally-expected and straightforward Mechanics check, or do I just do nothing and let the ship blow up? Clearly I choose the former, but it's only nominally "something to do."

The Jewel of Yavin adventure features a cloud car grand prix through an obstacle-littered course at Cloud City; one player controlled the PCs' pilot and NPC gunner, while the other players got to control the other racers who had a chance of beating them (with bonus XP for making a good effort to win). Ship weapons do a lot of damage to small fighter craft, and speed absolutely kills. Three out of four players chose Punch It out of the gate, taking them to speed 4 (bad guys) or speed 5 (the souped-up PC cloud car). The issue here is that each leg of the race was a competitive Piloting(Planetary) check, and the difficulty for it is your speed. Speed 5 suddenly wasn't quite as awesome as it had appeared initially! For much of the race, the guy who'd chosen Accelerate for his first action was the one doing the best, because the Piloting checks were so much better and advantage/triumph could be spent to improve race position.

The boarding action thing, with a ship deck plan, is definitely more interesting.

As for why no new WFRP3e, I think that box set was a great value, but it is contrary to how most RPGs are sold now, so a simple reprint doesn't make as much sense. Also, I had heard that putting the special symbols on d10s was kind of a pain production-wise, so if that needed a second look, the whole game might? iono.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Are they improving melee rules for F&D? If so you could hack WFRP into the SWRPG system. WFRP3 always felt like a game that could use less systems.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

homullus posted:

As for why no new WFRP3e, I think that box set was a great value, but it is contrary to how most RPGs are sold now, so a simple reprint doesn't make as much sense. Also, I had heard that putting the special symbols on d10s was kind of a pain production-wise, so if that needed a second look, the whole game might? iono.

It seems weird that they have a problem with d10s, but not d6s, d8s or d12s.

It'd be nice to get a second edition of WFRP3 that ditches the cards as much as possible, though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It seems weird that they have a problem with d10s, but not d6s, d8s or d12s.

Geometry or something! There's less material "behind" a symbol engraved near the points of a d10 than on the other dice, and less space there. There were lots of symbols on WFRP3e dice.

The cards were a blessing and a curse. A good app and/or character sheet generator is better, but cards are definitely better than pausing the action at the table to dig through five supplements for the exact text of your power.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Sam Stewart said that exact thing on the Order 66 podcast. D10's offer less space for symbols, making them harder to read across the table.

Additionally, I see new role players accidentally mix up d10's and d8's all the time, so it's good that each "category" of fruity pebbles dice have their own unique shape.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

There needs to be a defense bonus for high speed. For example an A wing is fast, but has no armor so it's just as likely to get blown up at speed 1 than at speed 6. The best ships are tanky.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

There needs to be a defense bonus for high speed. For example an A wing is fast, but has no armor so it's just as likely to get blown up at speed 1 than at speed 6. The best ships are tanky.

This isn't entirely true, since the lower Piloting check means greater chance of more successes, advantages, and triumphs. Those can be spent to make the opponent's check harder.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I feel like Characteristics are a trap at Char Creation. Why wouldn't you increase them instead of getting talents/skill points? Do you guys do anything in particular to deal with this, like DTAS, or just give out more exp?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Azran posted:

I feel like Characteristics are a trap at Char Creation. Why wouldn't you increase them instead of getting talents/skill points? Do you guys do anything in particular to deal with this, like DTAS, or just give out more exp?

Characteristics are definitely the most worthwhile thing to do at creation, because you can't increase them later. They are VERY expensive relative to skills and top-level (cost 5) talents, so the amount you can increase is pretty limited. If you are following the XP guidelines in the book, though, you're giving ~15 per session, with some bonuses along the way. It's not long before players hit their first Dedication.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I think a good way to get around that at the start is to immediately award a small bounty of XP to the players post-chargen. Doesn't have to be a lot, but it helps make the players feel like their characters have some defining traits right out of the gate if they can pick up a talent or two.

Also, it usually makes thematic sense; very rarely have I played in a group that is literally the greenest of green recruits or whatever.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

I don't think characters with no talents at all happen much. Even pouring everything into Characteristics usually leaves ten or fifteen xp remaining for a character to buy a talent or two to make the character a little more unique.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683721

You all need to sub characters for this game, yo.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Yeah we need more band managers

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Elendil004 posted:

Yeah we need more band managers

Any character that isn't a dug drummer is a bad character.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wait a minute, wasn't this a Traveller module?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I almost had a band game going, but it was ended before it started because someone googled "Star Wars musical styles" and got the name of the sort of music the band played in Jabba's palace.

And basically everyone spent the rest of chargen snickering like 12 year olds so we didn't actually finish.

What I'm saying is Wookieepedia is the worst.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Every adventure my players enjoy smooth jizz.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you don't explicitly tell your players that the smooth jizz is wafting through the air in every cantina they go to I don't even know why we're playing Star Wars.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Looks like Stay on Target might have E-Wings and definitely TIE Phantoms.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5256

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

alg posted:

Looks like Stay on Target might have E-Wings and definitely TIE Phantoms.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5256

Also ways of making nexu cavalry.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The H-wing looks like something that never would have survived the first concept art cull for the films. Which is a shame, because "Twin Mustang, but with a Y-wing" sounds like it could be all spaceship-boners, all day.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

homullus posted:

I don't feel "make the one die roll you can, in this situation" is much more interesting than "do nothing," since there's no interesting choice. Do I make this totally-expected and straightforward Mechanics check, or do I just do nothing and let the ship blow up? Clearly I choose the former, but it's only nominally "something to do."

There's more for the techie to do than repair hull trauma. There's also recovering system strain, which is really important in a space fight as unlike living creatures, vehicles don't get free strain recovery back from advantages in dice rolls and the ship is dead in the water if it runs out. There's also the chart of other various ship crew actions, and the techie would be good for any of the ones that use mechanics or computers, like Boost Shields, Jamming, Slice Enemy Systems, and Spoof Missiles. They've made a pretty good effort for giving people other than the pilot and gunners something to do.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Valatar posted:

There's more for the techie to do than repair hull trauma. There's also recovering system strain, which is really important in a space fight as unlike living creatures, vehicles don't get free strain recovery back from advantages in dice rolls and the ship is dead in the water if it runs out. There's also the chart of other various ship crew actions, and the techie would be good for any of the ones that use mechanics or computers, like Boost Shields, Jamming, Slice Enemy Systems, and Spoof Missiles. They've made a pretty good effort for giving people other than the pilot and gunners something to do.

But you see what I was saying, yes? The pilot gets to decide what the whole ship does -- speed, maneuvering, what to head for -- and the techie gets to roll the dice to see whether he is successful at whichever of those things is required. The gunner at least gets to decide which target to go for (if there're more than one). If there's only one techie and that many tasks that all need doing, then yes -- but then what are the non-techie, non-gunner, non-pilot characters doing? I think having something maybe about deciding where to put the ships energy might have given people more to actually decide.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Stay On Target and the zombie RPG just went to shipping with a date of 12/23.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Has anyone else here run Jewel of Yavin? Can we talk about it? The rules for running the race are very similar to the ones for running the auction, and yet where the auction has been going really well, the race was kind of a mechanical disaster -- the guy who chose not to max out his speed was doing better than those who Punched It, since you can spend Triumphs to add +3 to your "place". This also meant that people at speed 4 were behind the guy going speed 1 in the first round. Did I screw up the rules? What would make racing better?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Just picked up the beginner set for EotE, not even open yet. Anything I should know that's not obvious? Is this a good gateway RPG for the newbies in my group?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

Just picked up the beginner set for EotE, not even open yet. Anything I should know that's not obvious? Is this a good gateway RPG for the newbies in my group?

I think it is. The game itself is really easy to understand. Learning the dice takes about 5 minutes then it's all on the players to run with their advantages and triumphs.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

--It's faster to use an app or roller for the dice, since it will total up stuff for you. Interpreting the dice is a fun part of the game; actually counting the symbols isn't.

--If you can't think of what else to do with Threat, just have it cost them strain. "The console starts sparking, but you get the switch flipped just before it shorts out for a moment! Suffer three strain." It's not always the most exciting option, but you just have to come up with something that's a little stressful, and then it's costing them resources.

--It is a very good "say yes, or roll dice" system, so you can really let them roll with their terrible ideas.

--The stormtroopers are deadlier than I think people expect (based on their ineptitude in the movies), and their range is longer than what most of the characters have.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I am gearing up for starting my party's first adventure together, but I'm a newbie GM with five newbie players. Right now I'm struggling with how to have the characters even meet and link up for the first time. Two know and travel with each other already, thankfully, but the rest are complete strangers.

I considered having them all meet in a cantina under stressful circumstances but since we ran the EotE beginner box adventure most of the way through I thought it might be a bit boring retreading that territory. The party consists roughly of the following:

• Droid performer, wanting to improve his art, influenced by whatever the Star Wars equivalent of Phil Collins would be
  • Jawa outlaw tech, tinkerer, programmed the droid performer to be his best friend though the droid has no inkling of this
  • Ortolan survivalist with a grudge against Max Rebo for always being mistaken for him
  • Trandoshan politico estranged from his family, overprotective of small aliens he mistakes for children
  • Verpine big game hunter, hunts big insects for own purposes and maybe a Hutt's collection (this one isn't solidified yet but I just realized I probably should suggest that she needs to hunt Hutts as giant slugs for her own collection...)

My friends have definitely opted for more comedic options off the bat, so that's probably the tone I'll keep throughout. I also intend to give them pretty heavy freedom, which is why I'd rather not start them out as a tight crew straight away.

Any suggestions? I realize I'm probably biting off way more than I can chew but I like a challenge.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Make them decide! Half the fun of making characters is making them decide how they met up and/or know each other. If you have a vague idea of what you want the first adventure to be, tell them a little bit about the ideal first quest hook, and then have them spend part of the first session figuring out how they got there.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I am gearing up for starting my party's first adventure together, but I'm a newbie GM with five newbie players. Right now I'm struggling with how to have the characters even meet and link up for the first time. Two know and travel with each other already, thankfully, but the rest are complete strangers.

I considered having them all meet in a cantina under stressful circumstances but since we ran the EotE beginner box adventure most of the way through I thought it might be a bit boring retreading that territory. The party consists roughly of the following:

• Droid performer, wanting to improve his art, influenced by whatever the Star Wars equivalent of Phil Collins would be
  • Jawa outlaw tech, tinkerer, programmed the droid performer to be his best friend though the droid has no inkling of this
  • Ortolan survivalist with a grudge against Max Rebo for always being mistaken for him
  • Trandoshan politico estranged from his family, overprotective of small aliens he mistakes for children
  • Verpine big game hunter, hunts big insects for own purposes and maybe a Hutt's collection (this one isn't solidified yet but I just realized I probably should suggest that she needs to hunt Hutts as giant slugs for her own collection...)

My friends have definitely opted for more comedic options off the bat, so that's probably the tone I'll keep throughout. I also intend to give them pretty heavy freedom, which is why I'd rather not start them out as a tight crew straight away.

Any suggestions? I realize I'm probably biting off way more than I can chew but I like a challenge.

They're all passengers on a tramp freighter when the pilot has a heart attack and dies in the cockpit in hyperspace. They now have a ship they have the deed for but didn't, uhh, buy per se. They have to dispose of the body (properly or no). And they have to deal with all the people who were after that pilot for whatever reason.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

homullus posted:

They're all passengers on a tramp freighter when the pilot has a heart attack and dies in the cockpit in hyperspace. They now have a ship they have the deed for but didn't, uhh, buy per se. They have to dispose of the body (properly or no). And they have to deal with all the people who were after that pilot for whatever reason.

After taking the ship out of hyperspace, whether they end up where they were headed or not.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Strobe posted:

After taking the ship out of hyperspace, whether they end up where they were headed or not.

"That's . . . that's not Dantooine. We did say "Dantooine", didn't we? Blast."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Arcturas posted:

Make them decide! Half the fun of making characters is making them decide how they met up and/or know each other. If you have a vague idea of what you want the first adventure to be, tell them a little bit about the ideal first quest hook, and then have them spend part of the first session figuring out how they got there.

Reading this was definitely a "DUH!" moment for me. Honestly I might be trying to write too much rather than collaborate, so thanks for the suggestion. :). I'll field it during the first session and see what they come up with.

homullus posted:

This is also pretty great, thanks! I wanted to give them a really busted ship for hijinks and that ties in nicely.