Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Amateur Sketch posted:

Has anyone else had to deal with lab renovations?

My PI recently decided that we needed to update our genetics lab, so he made me measure everything and draw up a plan before we chose an architect. Now the real plans are almost finished and I have to move all of my lab equipment into a smaller, shared lab space for a few months. I think I've got space mapped out for everything, but the prospect of moving it all and still being functional seems kind of nuts.

I was the lab point of contact for a pretty substantial renovation of our lab space a few years ago. Expect dealing with the project management people from university facilities to be your major headache -- far beyond moving or dealing with the GC. If you're drawing up plans, just remember that the lab probably won't be renovated again for 30 years, so don't over-design it for the equipment you have today. You can never have too many network ports, outlets, vacuum ports, etc. Also, if you ever have animals in the lab, make sure your Comparative Medicine department signs off on the materials before construction. Ours got really upset by our choice of ceiling tile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

It looks like we're getting a GC for the lab now. Should be there in about a month.

Also, has anyone ever used a self filtering HPLC vial? I was sent a few to try out.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

I heart bacon posted:

It looks like we're getting a GC for the lab now. Should be there in about a month.

Also, has anyone ever used a self filtering HPLC vial? I was sent a few to try out.

The Whatman syringeless vials? they kick serious rear end. For the suppliers we were using, they were even cheaper than the syringe/filter/vial/cap combo. Speeds stuff up so much if you have tons of samples and they fit most GCs too.

Only thing is, if you have stuff that's hard to filter through a 0.45 um it'll really work your fingers so you might have to do a pre-filter with a syringe or even a centrifuge. They also sell an absurdly overpriced compressor thing that does 6 vials at a time. Also if you have a billion samples you might get tired (I never ran into this problem, I guess I have good grip strength, but some of my chemists sure did)

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

I heart bacon posted:

Which GC did you get and why? I'm probably buying one when my CapEx funds are released Q1 2015. I'd love any feedback. My operators hate our Perkin Elmer GC-MS 520, so I'm thinking of going Agilent.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

seacat posted:

The Whatman syringeless vials? they kick serious rear end. For the suppliers we were using, they were even cheaper than the syringe/filter/vial/cap combo. Speeds stuff up so much if you have tons of samples and they fit most GCs too.

Only thing is, if you have stuff that's hard to filter through a 0.45 um it'll really work your fingers so you might have to do a pre-filter with a syringe or even a centrifuge. They also sell an absurdly overpriced compressor thing that does 6 vials at a time. Also if you have a billion samples you might get tired (I never ran into this problem, I guess I have good grip strength, but some of my chemists sure did)

Our supplier is usually midland sci. I was at the lab manager conference a week ago and liked what whatman showed us. I'm sure they won't work very well with some corn mash samples though. A centrifuge and transfer pipette to them would be great though.

For GC, we're getting a shimadzu. Mostly because of price and that's what my boss said so. Also, it should hook up to our HPLC PC too. If you go Agilent, I hear they are pretty good. I love chromeleon software vs empower.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64
Would anyone here that is/was part of the hiring process mind giving my resume a once over? I've never actually had one before. I started in my company basically as a dock worker and worked my way into the lab, so there really was no reason for one. Any thoughts good or bad, would be greatly appreciated.

I can be contacted by PM or at sa.Farside@gmail.com

Previous post as a reminder.

Farside posted:

I want to to look for a new job, however I have no idea as to what to call myself on my resume. On the company org chart I am listed as 'Filler' which means jack poo poo to anybody outside of my company.

A quick run down of what I do.

I work in a cGMP specialty gas lab. The lab is responsible for the manufacturing of ultra high purity gas and gas mixtures. Testing and certification of those gases following FDA, USP, NF, Food Grade, Milspec, AWS, and internal specialty gas protocols. So basically if there is an industry that needs high grade gases I deal with it. I also deal with client complaints in regards to most gas issues. I use a variety of instruments for testing but gas chromatography has a large roll.

I've been with this company for the last 14 years and have been in the lab for the last 8 years. For the last 4 years I have been trying to get into a management position. However, the company has been eliminating management positions since modernizing our plant. They recently allowed the last position to go unfilled. There is now 1 manager over seeing our entire plant with a lot of pissed off people who were supposed to move into those unfilled positions.

I can give more specifics if it helps, types of instruments, software used etc.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

I had a good day yesterday with our Waters rep. My counterpart showed up and we spent a few hours going over our machines and learning as much as possible about it. She asked some great questions I haven't even thought about either. It also turned out that a goon like me could still learn a thing or two about these machines. :woop:

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

I heart bacon posted:

I had a good day yesterday with our Waters rep. My counterpart showed up and we spent a few hours going over our machines and learning as much as possible about it. She asked some great questions I haven't even thought about either. It also turned out that a goon like me could still learn a thing or two about these machines. :woop:

What was the instrument? A lot of people itt have (probably rightfully) complained a lot about Waters but I absolutely love our service rep in DFW area. He really did show me like 80% of the "hard" stuff I know about the e2695 line. I used that knowledge to OQPQ all the HPLCs we had and saved like 15K

You can always learn more, and being the guy that can fix it can give you accolades. Seriously, except the assholes, good field service reps love to train people on their instruments , how to pull them apart, diagnose quirks, etc. Gives the lab staff an opportunity to save thousands so that nobody has to get called out.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

seacat posted:

What was the instrument? A lot of people itt have (probably rightfully) complained a lot about Waters but I absolutely love our service rep in DFW area. He really did show me like 80% of the "hard" stuff I know about the e2695 line. I used that knowledge to OQPQ all the HPLCs we had and saved like 15K

You can always learn more, and being the guy that can fix it can give you accolades. Seriously, except the assholes, good field service reps love to train people on their instruments , how to pull them apart, diagnose quirks, etc. Gives the lab staff an opportunity to save thousands so that nobody has to get called out.

I would have to look it up back in the field. We have two machines. Both are completely separate injectors, pumps, column heaters, and detectors. One is truly old school and uses 1ml vials in a carousel and the other uses a 2ml vials in trays. He showed us tricks like putting your fingers on the plungers on the pumps while watching pressures to see which pump is pushing during a pressure fluctuation. He also verified some of what I suspected when a sample would cause interference with the next sample. This has been something we've seen when after certain samples a check standard would fail because of that interference. I'm waiting on my bestest buddy counterpart to email me samples (I'm out of the lab today and tomorrow) and give you guys some examples of this. This guy has been a wealth of new knowledge and also a load of support for what we see in the field. Hopefully I can share more soon.

Edit:
To include that this is ethanol production, too. Just in case anyone was curious.

I heart bacon fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 20, 2014

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Job opening!

We are looking to hire a Raman service engineer / application scientist. You'd be part of a small service team and do stuff like on-site and remote/phone support for current customers, install/calibrate/train users on new systems, provide analysis for submitted samples, and help run demos and workshops. Out of town travel will be around 30-50% depending on workload. Background in chemistry, physics, or materials science is most common. MS/PhD preferred, but not required (I have a chemistry BS)

We're located in the NW suburbs of Chicago

You can apply directly from the posting (https://x) or PM me and I will direct you to the right people.

Best part is you'd sit next to me, and my mom says I'm cool

majestic12 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 22, 2015

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Is it possible to get hired in a lab type job with just an AS degree? I can pick one of those up from my community college next semester in chemistry and would love to just get some experience in a lab but I'm not sure if they only take people with a BS. I'm just curious if any of you know people at your company who don't have a BS degree. I mainly want the experience while I finish my bs in chemistry. I want to know if its even worth getting and trying to apply for positions even if they say they want a BS.

Dr. Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 3, 2014

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You could get hired for a production analytical release testing bench job with an AS, but I wouldn't recommend it. You will be absolutely miserable, work ungodly hours/rotating shifts, have no path of promotion, and get paid jack poo poo for it all.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Our analytical techs only need an AS, and we have a couple technicians in our development group that just have AS. It's pretty boring work though. You are just running samples, or doing basic work like making buffers and maintaining equipment.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Has anyone here gotten an HTL certification through the ASCP?

One more question, crossposted from the quick Med School thread, but has anyone here looked at/completed a pathologist assistant program? Currently I'm looking at Rosalind Franklin University in North Chicago. Asked in the other thread but it fell on deaf ears, apparently.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Is it possible to get hired in a lab type job with just an AS degree? I can pick one of those up from my community college next semester in chemistry and would love to just get some experience in a lab but I'm not sure if they only take people with a BS. I'm just curious if any of you know people at your company who don't have a BS degree. I mainly want the experience while I finish my bs in chemistry. I want to know if its even worth getting and trying to apply for positions even if they say they want a BS.

Yeah, it's not unreasonable. You definitely won't get hired anywhere in any level of pharma even as a pH meter monkey, but I know/have met tons of people in cosmetics, food, and environmental, working in the lab with an AA, and some without any sort of science ed at all.

You'll make crap for money, like tops out at 17 bucks an hour with no OT allowed in my company, the work is pretty tedious and you won't get to do anything interesting like instrumental analysis, and chances for promotion, raises etc are very low. "Technician" is the keyword to use when job searching as opposed to chemist (BS+) or scientist (MS at the very least, usually a PhD). You can sometimes backdoor your way into the lab starting as a QA tech doing line inspections and such, sometimes.

Its a good idea to see if lab work is really for you. Please remember though the difference between manufacturing quality labs, analytical labs, and academic research labs it's like night & day. Have you given some thought to what you want to do in the long term? BS Chem degrees are very valuable in my opinion as opposed to like bio degrees I get tons of those.

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup

seacat posted:

Yeah, it's not unreasonable. You definitely won't get hired anywhere in any level of pharma even as a pH meter monkey, but I know/have met tons of people in cosmetics, food, and environmental, working in the lab with an AA, and some without any sort of science ed at all.

You'll make crap for money, like tops out at 17 bucks an hour with no OT allowed in my company, the work is pretty tedious and you won't get to do anything interesting like instrumental analysis, and chances for promotion, raises etc are very low. "Technician" is the keyword to use when job searching as opposed to chemist (BS+) or scientist (MS at the very least, usually a PhD). You can sometimes backdoor your way into the lab starting as a QA tech doing line inspections and such, sometimes.

Its a good idea to see if lab work is really for you. Please remember though the difference between manufacturing quality labs, analytical labs, and academic research labs it's like night & day. Have you given some thought to what you want to do in the long term? BS Chem degrees are very valuable in my opinion as opposed to like bio degrees I get tons of those.

Well there isn't a lot of pharma work in my area and I'm not interested in that field anyways, though the other areas you mentioned are available. I am interested in analytical type labs particularly working more with instrumentation down the road, but for now I'll take anything. I also want to see what its like, and honestly it can't be that much worse then my previous work of 12 hour shifts in a crematory. Plus my work right now as a part time tutor pays low so its not an issue for me. It's encouraging to know that it's possible to get started even without a BS degree.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I got started without a degree but both of my jobs were from close friends vouching for me. Without those I wouldn't have even had my resume looked at from both places I was hired.

Now I'm a Histology Technician working as a contractor for the NIH and its an amazing job.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cbear posted:

Now I'm a Histology Technician working as a contractor for the NIH and its an amazing job.

Oohh, care to give me more details on your career right now? Like I said before I'm en route to my HTL certification and may be going down the same path you have already trod, it seems.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Oohh, care to give me more details on your career right now? Like I said before I'm en route to my HTL certification and may be going down the same path you have already trod, it seems.

I think were actually on the same path. I basically will have a decent supervisor position once I get the certification.

Do you already have experience in a histology lab?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cbear posted:

I think were actually on the same path. I basically will have a decent supervisor position once I get the certification.

Do you already have experience in a histology lab?

Yup, been working in my current lab for a year and some change. I'm going route 2 to get the certification, what about you?

By "contractor for the NIH," do you mean you are basically contracted out to different labs, or are you stationary?

If you want to swap emails/LinkedIns/whatever just shoot me a PM.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I don't mind shooting the poo poo here unless people get annoyed or you want more specific email.

I'll be going the route with experience. Already have 3 1/2 years of histo work so good to go on that part.

I'm stationary. I just mean contracting because our building is 95% contractors, 5% government. That said its loving great.

I work for the NIAID branch of NIH. I'm honestly not sure how much I can discuss. I'll just say I work in a BSL-4 lab so you can probably guess what I work with then.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cbear posted:

I don't mind shooting the poo poo here unless people get annoyed or you want more specific email.

I'll be going the route with experience. Already have 3 1/2 years of histo work so good to go on that part.

I'm stationary. I just mean contracting because our building is 95% contractors, 5% government. That said its loving great.

I work for the NIAID branch of NIH. I'm honestly not sure how much I can discuss. I'll just say I work in a BSL-4 lab so you can probably guess what I work with then.

BSL-4, phreow. The most that we've had in our lab was BSL-3, when we used to get rare cases of CJD. I'm in an Alzheimer's research center so 99% of my work has been with brains. I love it.

How'd you get into working for the NIH, if you don't mind extrapolating? I'm looking right now at other histology technician jobs, primarily in clinical neurology settings, although I've got to get a more specific game-plan together for the coming year because I'm aiming to get accepted into a pathologist assistant program ASAP. I've thought about applying at MSN or RapidTemps because my friend mentioned it, but if I do that I'd probably have to delay trying to get into a graduate program as a PA. Decisions, decisions.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Seriously folks, please feel free to use this space to talk shop, that's what it's here for.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I got into the NIH from a former tech I worked with. She got a job, then I followed her. She vouched then I crushed the interview.

My advice would be to figure out your end goal. Figure out where you want to be in 15 years and aim for that. My friend who got me the job decided she isn't happy as a tech or even a supervisor so off to med school she goes. I know I'm never going to med school so I'm aiming differently. PA is cool. I honestly hadnt gave it much thought! I may go ahead and do PhD and try to be an "implementer". Where I work that's where you actually make the study plans, that seems really awesome to me. Especially when dealing with select agents.

Its a really sweet job though. I'm hoping to get the opportunity to go to Africa to help there. The NIH has a nice footprint there and itd be awesome to contribute.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

seacat posted:

I'm in a similar boat. I don't have a degree, but I now have close to 7 years in industry. Started off in operations and moved around. I filled in for lab at the last plant and was hire lab tech at this one. I have been at this place for over a year and a half and learned a lot about these machines and a whole lot about fermentation. Getting to school while being on shift and living in the middle of nowhere isn't easy either.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm curious who else here is in Pharmaceuticals? I'm out of the lab, probably for good and my job is now to spy on you all.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Saros posted:

I'm curious who else here is in Pharmaceuticals? I'm out of the lab, probably for good and my job is now to spy on you all.

Imagine tears streaming down my face as I slowly raise my hand.

I've been out of the lab for about three years now, same sort of thing. No more doing what I'm good at (formulation development), and instead I'm paid to sit in meetings and spout buzzwords at the appropriate times. Apparently this strange activity is called "a strategic role" in the organization.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 8, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Saros posted:

I've been out of the lab for as long as Sundae here, but that's because I jumped ship and the industry in the Seattle area has dried up like crazy. Gilead closed up shop, Dendreon declared bankruptcy and so one. Novo Nordisk is still around and there's still cancer research and food safety (DO NOT WORK THERE HOLY loving poo poo DON'T DO IT) but that's about it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'm kinda curious who you guys work for. I also have been out of the lab for over three years and after quitting my last job (pharma patents) and moving across the world I considered trying to get back into the practical side of science/pharma but ultimately gave up because holy poo poo is the pay all sorts of terrible and the job security is a joke.

Now I just have to know everything about infectious disease drugs and 'spy' on all the companies developing them. Business intelligence ahoy, aka ask me about Ebola and how gleefully the big guys are looking it as an opportunity to undermine the registration process.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I worked for PFE, LLY and JNJ. Job security and benefits are a total joke, but I can't fault the pay.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I'm also out of lab work at a pharma company, large NJ pharma that's not Merck or J&J in my case. I now work on the business side of the pilot plants. Managing quality systems, writing procedural docs, continuous improvement, etc. Been getting more involved with external manufacturing these days.

Edit: I weirdly enjoy my job, although I have the usual cynicism about pharma in general. My hours are awesome now, pay is good, and my work isn't too stressful. To be fair though, my basis of comparison on workload is my wife who is in investment banking.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 8, 2014

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The Rats are in charge - Escape from Laboratory Chat!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Saros posted:

I'm kinda curious who you guys work for. I also have been out of the lab for over three years and after quitting my last job (pharma patents) and moving across the world I considered trying to get back into the practical side of science/pharma but ultimately gave up because holy poo poo is the pay all sorts of terrible and the job security is a joke.

Now I just have to know everything about infectious disease drugs and 'spy' on all the companies developing them. Business intelligence ahoy, aka ask me about Ebola and how gleefully the big guys are looking it as an opportunity to undermine the registration process.

That sounds like really interesting work actually.

I took my QA experience to a, uh, "large manufacturing facility" north of Seattle and now I do process improvement and data analysis.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah it's generally an interesting area to work in if it does make you somewhat cynical of the way the industry operates. I joined at an interesting time as it's been really fascinating watching and trying to keep up with the Ebola frenzy over the last few months, suddenly everybody and their dog has gone and screened all their random fridges full of compounds and found a bunch of 'candidates' and can't wait to tell the whole drat world about it.

Plus the company (Citeline if you're curious, if you work for a top 20 pharma company you have a subscription to our stuff) is pretty chill about working from home as well as being prepared to sponsor me to work in their US offices for a year or two in the future which is nice because it's about the only western country I can't really do that in.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I just want to know how you folks get anything done when you're constantly being bought and sold like currency. The cycle I kept seeing was this:

1. Be a hot shot in a group responsible for a hot drug.
2. Get bought out for huge bucks.
3. Get cozy in your new digs.
4. Take your old folks (and maybe some new ones) and leave to start your own company again.
5. Repeat.

I knew a guy growing up who did this and he was part of the team that worked on a drug you see advertised on TV.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
That cycle just happened again today. Cubist is being bought by Merck, swallowing one of the companies my old PFE buddies fled to after the layoffs.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Sundae posted:

That cycle just happened again today. Cubist is being bought by Merck, swallowing one of the companies my old PFE buddies fled to after the layoffs.

We had someone leave last month to go to Cubist, wonder how hes making out now?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Saros posted:

I would very much like to hear about this.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Solkanar512 posted:

I've been out of the lab for as long as Sundae here, but that's because I jumped ship and the industry in the Seattle area has dried up like crazy. Gilead closed up shop, Dendreon declared bankruptcy and so one. Novo Nordisk is still around and there's still cancer research and food safety (DO NOT WORK THERE HOLY loving poo poo DON'T DO IT) but that's about it.

What did you jump to? I'm in Seattle and unemployed for months, so I'm trying to get into the world of the database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PokeJoe posted:

What did you jump to? I'm in Seattle and unemployed for months, so I'm trying to get into the world of the database.

I ended up at a large aerospace manufacturing facility north of Seattle.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 10, 2014