Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rubies posted:

My thing is kinda complicated because it involves 2 people, but I thought someone here might know what to do.

Me: I have an old plan that I don't want to change (~$70/mo for unlimited everything including data) on AT&T. Currently using an iphone 4 I dug out of a drawer after my s3 died. Out of contract for the last couple years.

My pop: He's on Verizon out of contract. He doesn't care about apps n all that, just likes phones that can make calls and texts. Says he is willing to switch to another carrier or do whatever, as long as his bill (~75/mo) doesn't change much and at the end he comes out with a phone that can make calls and texts. I'd like to see him end up with some kind of smart phone with data plan, cause he's real into fitness and I think the health apps would be cool for him. Also maps which he still gets on the PC and prints. So some data, but nothing that is meant to cover streaming or anything.

So after making fun of my cracked iPhone 4 (not even a 4s :reject:...), he said he's be willing to get a heavily discounted phone by signing up for a new plan with Verizon or a different carrier. So I went to AT&Ts website and now they have all these different plans that change based on if you buy a phone from them or not? I don't get the poo poo I've just been paying the same bill for years.

Sooooo.... is there a way to get a fresh 6plus by having him do an upgrade with Verizon? Can I use a verison phone on my AT&T plan? Could I add him to a ATT family plan and get a phone that way, while keeping all my unlimited perks (i stream and hotspot a lot so I dont wanna lose it)?

I feel like I'm just asking people to do my homework for me, so I'll stop here and just request that someone who knows what I'm looking for ask me more questions about what I need. I'm kinda lost but I have the logins for both existing plans and can get info if needed. I could even get him on Boost or Cricket cause we both spend 99% of our time in a major city so coverage is whatever, seems to work on everyone's everywhere around here.

BTW I'd really like to end up with a 6 or 6 plus... if he can save me $x off the retail price I'll just buy him a phone off amazon that costs like $x/3 and we'll both still be ahead.

Thanks!
Some Verizon phones will work on AT&T, iPhones, specifically, will work out of the box. Just swap in your SIM. That said, you can still get upgrades on your unlimited plan, so I'm not really sure why you're not doing that, since you're paying for the subsidy either way. I'm not sure if you can move your individual plan to a family plan, though. There's some AT&T reps on here who might be able to answer that.

As for your dad, it sounds like he's really overpaying if he's just using a basic phone. Even individual plans with data don't cost that much on Verizon. Their individual plan is $60 with a subsidy or $45 with EDGE and includes unlimited minutes and texts and 1 GB data.

In short, unless you can get him into a family plan on your plan, it doesn't seem like there's much need to change his provider. Get him an iPhone from Verizon and switch him to the individual plan and get yourself an iPhone from AT&T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Endless Mike posted:

Some Verizon phones will work on AT&T, iPhones, specifically, will work out of the box. Just swap in your SIM. That said, you can still get upgrades on your unlimited plan, so I'm not really sure why you're not doing that, since you're paying for the subsidy either way. I'm not sure if you can move your individual plan to a family plan, though. There's some AT&T reps on here who might be able to answer that.

As for your dad, it sounds like he's really overpaying if he's just using a basic phone. Even individual plans with data don't cost that much on Verizon. Their individual plan is $60 with a subsidy or $45 with EDGE and includes unlimited minutes and texts and 1 GB data.

In short, unless you can get him into a family plan on your plan, it doesn't seem like there's much need to change his provider. Get him an iPhone from Verizon and switch him to the individual plan and get yourself an iPhone from AT&T.

Thanks dude! For some reason the rep at the brick and mortar ATT store told me if i upgrade i need a new contract and new contracts don't ever have unlimited data anymore. I asked an ATT guy in another thread for clarification but we was swamped with replies, so I didnt hear back and assumed the store guy was legit. I'm afraid to do it online in case i hit the wrong button and mess something up, but if what you say is true i can just go to the store and not involve padre! That would be great and then I can maybe have him call up he own and get his bill reduced. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rubies posted:

My thing is kinda complicated because it involves 2 people, but I thought someone here might know what to do.

Me: I have an old plan that I don't want to change (~$70/mo for unlimited everything including data) on AT&T. Currently using an iphone 4 I dug out of a drawer after my s3 died. Out of contract for the last couple years.

My pop: He's on Verizon out of contract. He doesn't care about apps n all that, just likes phones that can make calls and texts. Says he is willing to switch to another carrier or do whatever, as long as his bill (~75/mo) doesn't change much and at the end he comes out with a phone that can make calls and texts. I'd like to see him end up with some kind of smart phone with data plan, cause he's real into fitness and I think the health apps would be cool for him. Also maps which he still gets on the PC and prints. So some data, but nothing that is meant to cover streaming or anything.

So after making fun of my cracked iPhone 4 (not even a 4s :reject:...), he said he's be willing to get a heavily discounted phone by signing up for a new plan with Verizon or a different carrier. So I went to AT&Ts website and now they have all these different plans that change based on if you buy a phone from them or not? I don't get the poo poo I've just been paying the same bill for years.

Sooooo.... is there a way to get a fresh 6plus by having him do an upgrade with Verizon? Can I use a verison phone on my AT&T plan? Could I add him to a ATT family plan and get a phone that way, while keeping all my unlimited perks (i stream and hotspot a lot so I dont wanna lose it)?

I feel like I'm just asking people to do my homework for me, so I'll stop here and just request that someone who knows what I'm looking for ask me more questions about what I need. I'm kinda lost but I have the logins for both existing plans and can get info if needed. I could even get him on Boost or Cricket cause we both spend 99% of our time in a major city so coverage is whatever, seems to work on everyone's everywhere around here.

BTW I'd really like to end up with a 6 or 6 plus... if he can save me $x off the retail price I'll just buy him a phone off amazon that costs like $x/3 and we'll both still be ahead.

Thanks!

I was going to put in an explanation of how the plans changed, but gently caress it, we'll just keep it at your plan is the best option for you and you can upgrade. What you should do is go to the Apple Store. They will be glad to help you, they have the best stock anyway, and they'll sell you a two year contract no hassle. AT&T stores will fight you on two year right now. you can do a two year contact, just order the phone from the Apple Store or apple.com on 2 year contract, and do not do Next.

Edit:

Rubies posted:

Thanks dude! For some reason the rep at the brick and mortar ATT store told me if i upgrade i need a new contract and new contracts don't ever have unlimited data anymore. I asked an ATT guy in another thread for clarification but we was swamped with replies, so I didnt hear back and assumed the store guy was legit. I'm afraid to do it online in case i hit the wrong button and mess something up, but if what you say is true i can just go to the store and not involve padre! That would be great and then I can maybe have him call up he own and get his bill reduced. Thanks!

Oh here's the confusion. The guy lied to you. See advice above, buy the phone from Apple.

I would just keep your dad on a separate plan. You could technically create a family plan, but it won't save money off his current rate.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I want a phone with an awesome camera and external storage, like an SD card. like, my wife's iphone 5s has a great camera but storage is an issue and i want better picture quality. What are my options?

Constraints:
Doesn't run iOS
Available on t-mobile

The Lumia 1020 i hear is the best but it is at&t only, which is a bummer because I like Windows Phone 8.1.

e: I should also say that I don't have to buy it today. I don't know if there's anything new coming out soon that might have a really good camera?

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 8, 2014

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Careful Drums posted:

I want a phone with an awesome camera and external storage, like an SD card. like, my wife's iphone 5s has a great camera but storage is an issue and i want better picture quality. What are my options?

Constraints:
Doesn't run iOS
Available on t-mobile

The Lumia 1020 i hear is the best but it is at&t only, which is a bummer because I like Windows Phone 8.1.

e: I should also say that I don't have to buy it today. I don't know if there's anything new coming out soon that might have a really good camera?

The LG G3 and Galaxy Note 4 are nice phones with cameras on par with the iPhone's. But they're big. If you find they're too big, the Xperia Z3 is more manageable in size but it's a step down in camera quality.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I'm on Verizon in the US and I'm up for an upgrade. I really like my Razr M, but it's really starting to show its age between hardware stuff and a dying battery. Is the newer equivalent to the Razr M (Droid Mini) a decent phone or should I look at something from a different manufacturer?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not a bad phone being largely based on the 2013 Moto X, but it's also a year old and there wasn't really a good reason to get it when it was new unless you absolutely refused to get anything larger or spend more money. You can do better if either of those are negotiable. All of the following are $0-100 from either Verizon, Amazon, or Best Buy (and I'm sure other retailers have similar prices) and would be better choices:

Moto X (2014) (you can also buy direct from Motorola and customize how it looks, though that will put it at $99 versus being $0.01 from Amazon.)
LG G3
Samsung Galaxy S5
Droid Maxx
HTC One M8
Moto X (2013) (note that you can get this under $300 off-contract, so you would be better served buying something else and reselling it and buying on eBay and pocketing the difference)

Of those, either of the Motos or the Droid would be your best options.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Whats the low-down on the "unlocked international version-no warranty" phones you see on amazon for usually about $50-100 off retail price?

I would think being free of bloatware and the ability to use any SIM around the world would make it MORE expensive, not cheaper. Is it because there is no warranty?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, not having a warranty is certainly something I would avoid, but I guess given the horrible service most non-Apple manufacturers offer even with a warranty, I guess it's a wash. In any case, they don't necessarily support the bands for all US carriers (AT&T is generally supported on them, but T-Mobile may or may not), and occasionally different markets get different versions of the phone that may or may not be as well supported as US-intended ones.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
So this is what my father's been paying $72.19/mo. for for the last ~4 years:

You can tell from my posts on this very page that I'm an idiot when it comes to phones and technology and MBs n stuff but I'm pretty sure this is terrible? He's not in a contract and can switch to whoever as long as he keep his same phone number. What should he do? He travels but only to dense coastal cities, I doubt the difference in coverage of the major carriers would ever cause a problem. So for a dude that just texts, calls, and maaaaaybe checks the weather what's the best option? Like cheapest of the cheap monthly plans without getting into boost burners.

Also I'm ordering an iphone 6 without feeling like I'm doing something wrong based on the replies I got ITT so thanks :)

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Endless Mike posted:

Well, not having a warranty is certainly something I would avoid, but I guess given the horrible service most non-Apple manufacturers offer even with a warranty, I guess it's a wash. In any case, they don't necessarily support the bands for all US carriers (AT&T is generally supported on them, but T-Mobile may or may not), and occasionally different markets get different versions of the phone that may or may not be as well supported as US-intended ones.

ahhh thanks, so it pays to read the fine print to make sure its applicable to your situation.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rubies posted:

You can tell from my posts on this very page that I'm an idiot when it comes to phones and technology and MBs n stuff but I'm pretty sure this is terrible?
I'll let one of the carrier experts direct you to a specific plan but yes, there's no way this should cost more than $30. Before taxes and fees, of course but even then under $50.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rubies posted:

You can tell from my posts on this very page that I'm an idiot when it comes to phones and technology and MBs n stuff but I'm pretty sure this is terrible? He's not in a contract and can switch to whoever as long as he keep his same phone number. What should he do? He travels but only to dense coastal cities, I doubt the difference in coverage of the major carriers would ever cause a problem. So for a dude that just texts, calls, and maaaaaybe checks the weather what's the best option? Like cheapest of the cheap monthly plans without getting into boost burners.

Also I'm ordering an iphone 6 without feeling like I'm doing something wrong based on the replies I got ITT so thanks :)
You could get him an unlocked Moto G for $180 on Amazon and then get the $30 "nerd" prepaid plan on T-Mobile which is 100 minutes, unlimited texts, and 5 GB of data. It seems like he wouldn't come close to running out of either and since it's prepaid it will always be $30.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

CatchrNdRy posted:

Whats the low-down on the "unlocked international version-no warranty" phones you see on amazon for usually about $50-100 off retail price?

I would think being free of bloatware and the ability to use any SIM around the world would make it MORE expensive, not cheaper. Is it because there is no warranty?

I did more research, and just to bump my own post for the sake of anyone in the future, "international phones" often run different firmware versions than in the US. They also may have different antennas frequencies.

So there is a high possibility, you will not receive LTE or even 3G with an international version, though you will be able to make regular calls.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: Prepaid

Budget: $400

Wants:
  • Battery Life
  • Android
  • I have this 64GB SD card and I'd like it not to go to waste
  • Not a Samsung

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 11, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CatchrNdRy posted:

Wants:
  • Battery Life
  • Android
  • Not a Samsung

There aren't many amazing Android phones that have a SD card slot anymore, most phones are internal only. The only thing coming to mind is the G3, unless anyone can think of something else?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

ilkhan posted:

New job means I'm outgrowing my nerd plan. I'm on GVoice but will port my number (it gets 0 junk calls to bug me). I want to keep my Nexus 5 (so no verizon, and gently caress sprint) and go as cheap as possible for unlim voice/SMS and at least 2.5-3GB of data.
Suggestions?

So remember when I asked this a couple weeks ago?
My plan renewed yesterday and I spent all 100 minutes on a conference call today. I need a new plan. :(

Most of my data usage is google music, so just going to use the 1GB simple mobile plan for now.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 11, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilkhan posted:

So remember when I asked this a couple weeks ago?
My plan renewed yesterday and I spent all 100 minutes on a conference call today. I need a new plan. :(
If you're happy with T-Mobile why not just get their standard normal adult postpaid plan?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CatchrNdRy posted:

Wants:
  • Battery Life
  • Android
  • Not a Samsung

Duckman2008 posted:

There aren't many amazing Android phones that have a SD card slot anymore, most phones are internal only. The only thing coming to mind is the G3, unless anyone can think of something else?

HTC One M8 and Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact have SD card slots, I think. Those plus the LG G3 are probably most recommended. The Z3 and Z3 Compact are overall great, pretty much the whole package of battery, display, software, etc. Between the One and G3, the G3 has a much better camera, the One has better battery (though not as good as either Z3). If you're OK with used, you can probably find any of these at around $400 or less.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

RVProfootballer posted:

HTC One M8 and Sony Xperia Z3 and Z3 Compact have SD card slots, I think. Those plus the LG G3 are probably most recommended. The Z3 and Z3 Compact are overall great, pretty much the whole package of battery, display, software, etc. Between the One and G3, the G3 has a much better camera, the One has better battery (though not as good as either Z3). If you're OK with used, you can probably find any of these at around $400 or less.

Thanks I'll check those out!

Hammid
Feb 11, 2012
Hey all - I'm looking for a new android phone to upgrade from my galaxy nexus (about 3 years old at this point). The major catch is that I am still on the verizon unlimited plan and I'd like to stay on that if at all possible. It seems that the only way to do so would be to pay for a full phone price. Could anyone recommend an android phone that is <400$ with decent battery life and would allow me to stay on the 4g network? I don't really need anything special, I just need a newer model of my nexus since it is near failing at this point. I don't need the newest release, so even a year or two old model would be sufficient. I'm just not sure what the best phone would be here. I was looking at amazon and ebay, but I'm a little unclear about unlocked phones, international versions, etc so I don't necessarily want to buy from there without getting a little guidance. Thanks much.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hammid posted:

Hey all - I'm looking for a new android phone to upgrade from my galaxy nexus (about 3 years old at this point). The major catch is that I am still on the verizon unlimited plan and I'd like to stay on that if at all possible. It seems that the only way to do so would be to pay for a full phone price. Could anyone recommend an android phone that is <400$ with decent battery life and would allow me to stay on the 4g network? I don't really need anything special, I just need a newer model of my nexus since it is near failing at this point. I don't need the newest release, so even a year or two old model would be sufficient. I'm just not sure what the best phone would be here. I was looking at amazon and ebay, but I'm a little unclear about unlocked phones, international versions, etc so I don't necessarily want to buy from there without getting a little guidance. Thanks much.
The problem here, as it often is, is Verizon. Google didn't make the Nexus 4 or 5 for Verizon and thus you can't use them. That leaves the Nexus 6 which is a) enormous, b) expensive, and c) in very limited supply. So unless you want to spend $700 and six weeks waiting, a newer Nexus isn't an option.

You might find a new Verizon 2013 Moto X on eBay in the $200 range and that offers a Nexus-like experience but not so much of an upgrade over your current phone (though a vastly improved radio so your battery life will be much, much better). It should be said that anything newer than a 2011 device is going to have much better battery life.

Beyond that you might have luck looking for a deal on a Galaxy S4 (terrible software), a G2 (worse software), a G3 (better but not good software) as those are kind of long in the tooth these days.

If it were me and you value stock software, I'd save up for a Nexus 6 as you'll just get longer life out of it before you have to spend the money again to keep unlimited so the cost is amortized over a longer period of time (three to four years for the Nexus 6 versus one maybe two out of a Galaxy S4/5 or G2/3). The reason I say that is that the updates for it are far less likely to make the device unstable and worse in the forthcoming years than either Samsung's or LG's. Still I understand that $700 and six weeks may be a bigger pill than you're willing to swallow.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're willing to bump your budget up a hair, you can get an off-contract 2014 Moto X for $500. Alternatively, wait through to the new year and see if they have another sale. On Black Friday (or Cyber Monday?) they were sending out codes for $140 off.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Country/Provider:USA/AT&T

Current contract status: Ending soon

Budget (phone/plan):$250. Really have no idea as I just always just get whatever models the somewhat shady cell phone booth offers to me.

Features I know I want:
Physical numberpad: I have a N7 already and I don't like smartphones.
OK camera: Good enough for item sales but don't really need one if it's too much of a challenge on the budget.
Long battery life.
Receives text messages. I don't even need to send them but it would be nice if I could get anything other than SMS or MMS.

Technically, I don't need to upgrade but my phone drops 3/5 calls time to time.

Alder fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 14, 2014

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
A lot of phones claim to be waterproof. I'm looking for one that can comfortably be submerged on a weekly basis and doesn't mind sitting in a sauna.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Oh hey I've never been in here before.

I've currently got an iphone 4s, but I've been getting kind of annoyed with icloud being shifty and making me re-download songs all the time, complete lack of customization (I'm a designer and I REALLY dislike being unable to change appearances of things), and after 4 years of so of iphones, want to change it up and try android.

Country/Provider: US, Verizon Wireless, ~*east coaaaast*~
Current contract status: On a family plan (non-primary), mine is up for renewal sometime in Feb
Budget (phone/plan): Ehhh... under $300? I guess? If it's a good phone, negotiable.
Features I know I want:
-should be easy enough to move stuff from iphone and macbook to new phone
-good (16 megapixel+) camera- I use my camera a LOT.
-customizable
-bigger than iphone 4s, smaller than ipad
-16gb of storage or more (or customizable to add more room)
-my primary app usage is instagram, facebook, ebay, pinterest, twitter, ebay/etsy/amazon, evernote, music, photos, an interval timer, clock/alarm, weather and run keeper/tracker. I don't really play games on my phone.

I've been thinking of the Xperia Z3v because it looks nice and has a great (20mp) camera and won't explode if you drop it in water, and I've heard good things about the galaxy note 4. Do either of those sound like they'll fit my needs, or totally off the mark? Open to other suggestions.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whispering Machines posted:

Oh hey I've never been in here before.

I've currently got an iphone 4s, but I've been getting kind of annoyed with icloud being shifty and making me re-download songs all the time, complete lack of customization (I'm a designer and I REALLY dislike being unable to change appearances of things), and after 4 years of so of iphones, want to change it up and try android.

Country/Provider: US, Verizon Wireless, ~*east coaaaast*~
Current contract status: On a family plan (non-primary), mine is up for renewal sometime in Feb
Budget (phone/plan): Ehhh... under $300? I guess? If it's a good phone, negotiable.
Features I know I want:
-should be easy enough to move stuff from iphone and macbook to new phone
-good (16 megapixel+) camera- I use my camera a LOT.
-customizable
-bigger than iphone 4s, smaller than ipad
-16gb of storage or more (or customizable to add more room)
-my primary app usage is instagram, facebook, ebay, pinterest, twitter, ebay/etsy/amazon, evernote, music, photos, an interval timer, clock/alarm, weather and run keeper/tracker. I don't really play games on my phone.

I've been thinking of the Xperia Z3v because it looks nice and has a great (20mp) camera and won't explode if you drop it in water, and I've heard good things about the galaxy note 4. Do either of those sound like they'll fit my needs, or totally off the mark? Open to other suggestions.
The Sony is a much better option than the Samsung. If you value the camera like you say you do, it's the direction I'd go.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

The Sony is a much better option than the Samsung. If you value the camera like you say you do, it's the direction I'd go.

Keep in mind the Z3v is a weird variant that is somewhere between a Z2 and Z3. It probably is not a big deal, but it is a non-current flagship on Verizon, so future support and stuff are already kind of iffy even if it were not a weird variant. Also, I think the Note 4 camera is probably the best Android camera right now.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Thanks for the input! Yeah, I've seen reviews mentioning that the z3v isn't quite a regular z3 or their compact. I do have a regular camera camera I can use if I really need the extra megapixels- otherwise, 16mp should be just fine.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Alder posted:

Country/Provider:USA/AT&T

Current contract status: Ending soon

Budget (phone/plan):$250. Really have no idea as I just always just get whatever models the somewhat shady cell phone booth offers to me.

Features I know I want:
Physical numberpad: I have a N7 already and I don't like smartphones.
OK camera: Good enough for item sales but don't really need one if it's too much of a challenge on the budget.
Long battery life.
Receives text messages. I don't even need to send them but it would be nice if I could get anything other than SMS or MMS.

Technically, I don't need to upgrade but my phone drops 3/5 calls time to time.

Here's the nicest dumbphone ever without a crap touchscreen, if you're willing to spend $180. While you're at it, switch to Cricket, AT&T's prepaid brand to save cash ($25/mo for unlimited talk/text on a dumbphone.)

Cirofren posted:

A lot of phones claim to be waterproof. I'm looking for one that can comfortably be submerged on a weekly basis and doesn't mind sitting in a sauna.

If you're gonna abuse your phone like that, buy an iPhone with AppleCare+ and one of the dive camera cases recommended by The Wirecutter here.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Godzilla07 posted:

Here's the nicest dumbphone ever without a crap touchscreen, if you're willing to spend $180. While you're at it, switch to Cricket, AT&T's prepaid brand to save cash ($25/mo for unlimited talk/text on a dumbphone.)

Thanks for the recommendation. Hmm---should I be concerned if shipping is from default, default, Hong Kong? If this doesn't work out I was going to go and look for pre-owned phones instead. Also, when they mean unlimited does it mean unlimited or until the company defined it as?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alder posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. Hmm---should I be concerned if shipping is from default, default, Hong Kong? If this doesn't work out I was going to go and look for pre-owned phones instead. Also, when they mean unlimited does it mean unlimited or until the company defined it as?

Actually, you mentioned waterproof, so you might want to look at a rugby. They're $300 at AT&T (too much) but a Google search brings them up on eBay for $80. They aren't ground breaking, they aren't even quite old school Nextel level rugged, but they are def waterproof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/351251271830?lpid=82

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Carrier: T-Mobile, month-to-month (no contract).
Budget: $500, but flexible.

I mostly wanna just buy something off Amazon and take it into the store. If there's some crazy in-store deal I'd probably pay all/most of it down as soon as I get the thing.

Features:
I've been using WinPhone since 6.1 but I think I'm ready to switch to something with updates and an actual app ecosystem. I do love the WP UI though so I can probably be convinced to hang with it.
- Not interested in an iPhone at all; I have an iPad and like it but I'm thinking Android because I'm a huge nerd and want the opportunity to tweak and mess with stuff
- Decently fixable at home; I've replaced more than a handful of phone screens for myself and friends and am pretty comfortable poking around in internals
- Good update support (I'm savvy enough to wrangle my way though custom builds, I did with Windows Mobile 6.1-6.5 but :effort: unless it will really pay off)
- At least 16GB storage for podcasts and stuff
- VPN Support (mostly for fun, this isn't a work requirement)
- Tethering; it's included on my plan and I've got a moderate commute, so tethering lets me use my iPad on the train
- A decent SSH app
- A nice sized screen. I have an HTC 8X now (4.25"ish screen?) and I think something in the lower 5" would be nice. I'm not entirely opposed to 6" though that does seem honkin huge.
- All around decent, snappy performance. I'm not gonna be running Matlab on this thing but it should be nice and responsive. I don't think I'll be doing a whole lot of gaming and what I'll play will probably be simpler, smaller stuff.
- WiFi calling would be nice since T-Mo sometimes has spotty coverage where I live/work

I don't really know much about features because I haven't had a ton of options with WP7/WP8. I liked HTC's stuff (Touch Pro/HD7/8X) and aside from WM6.1 had decent performance. The number of options is staggering so I'm really lost. A friend suggested the Nexus 5 to me which I might go for, but I'm a bit cagey about getting something a year old and the Nexus 6 seems a bit too expensive.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 17, 2014

tboneDX
Jan 27, 2009
Country/Provider:
- USA west coast (ATT, could swap to Verizon, T-mobile, etc.)

Current contract status:
- off-contract (grandfathered iphone 3gs unlimited data), currently paying $75/mo for 450 rollover minutes, no text, 5GB data (w/ throttling after that)

Budget (phone/plan):
- $750 (or retail) for the Galaxy Note 4. (Or ~$300 w/ contract), I will get this phone, not looking for suggestions here.
- Would prefer to spend $60/mo or so for a plan.

Features I know I want:
- Galaxy Note 4
- ~5GB data, would prefer no data overage charges
- Texting optional (is a google voice number going to be a good replacement for paying for SMS?)

If there were an unlocked version I'd go with that (and keep my current plan for now).
I want this phone for the GearVR stuff, but I figure if I'm spending ~$750 I may as well change up my service as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My Captivate Glide has now poo poo the bed to the point that I can no longer use it. It's draining about 20% per hour and used up half my 3gb data allowance this morning on 'Android OS'. This is the second time this has happened. The Samsung "tries" App (aptly named) cannot do anything as far as a firmware upgrade (Currently on ICS) so I think it's time to put this thing out to pasture.

I have free service through a family plan that will last an indeterminate amount of time in the future (maybe forever, it's complicated), and I'm not on contract for anything. I don't really have a budget, but I'm horrified by the fact that people drop 800 dollars on a phone these days. I'm in the US and currently with AT&T.

Features I know I want:
- Wireless charging
- Long battery life
- Waterproof

Features I don't care about:
- Everything else

I'm not opposed to dropping a justified 800 bucks on a phone, but at that price level it would have to come with insurance and warranty for at least two years. I have no idea what the market looks like as I usually buy a phone every 5-6 years, my last phone wasn't even a smartphone. I don't want Windows but I could potentially be interested in an iPhone as I've gotten a really bad taste from my experience with Android on this phone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

JerikTelorian posted:

Carrier: T-Mobile, month-to-month (no contract).
Budget: $500, but flexible.

I mostly wanna just buy something off Amazon and take it into the store. If there's some crazy in-store deal I'd probably pay all/most of it down as soon as I get the thing.
Unless you absolutely have to buy from Amazon, I'd recommend a 2014 Moto X. You can buy direct from Motorola. I'm not 100% sure it will have wifi calling and I have no idea how easy it is to work on, but other than that, I think it hits all your desires.

revmoo posted:

Features I know I want:
- Wireless charging
- Long battery life
- Waterproof

Features I don't care about :
- Everything else

I'm not opposed to dropping a justified 800 bucks on a phone, but at that price level it would have to come with insurance and warranty for at least two years. I have no idea what the market looks like as I usually buy a phone every 5-6 years, my last phone wasn't even a smartphone. I don't want Windows but I could potentially be interested in an iPhone as I've gotten a really bad taste from my experience with Android on this phone.
I can't actually think of any phone that fits all three of your requirements.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Endless Mike posted:

I can't actually think of any phone that fits all three of your requirements.

That kinda blows, I figured those were pretty low-end requirements. I'm guessing the waterproof one is what kills it. Crazy that Japan's been using waterproof phones for what? 5 years now?

Anyway I was looking at the google nexus phones and those look pretty affordable, however EVERYTHING is sold out except for the most expensive models.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wireless charging and waterproofness are both less common requirements, and, like I said, I can't think any overlap. There *might* be a wireless charging back for the Galaxy S5, but I'm not sure about that.

EDIT: Yeah, there is, so I guess an S5 is your option.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
S5 price is...tolerable. I think my wife has an S4 though, I better not. She'll be pissed.

Funny, I'm the software engineer and I could care less about my phone. She's an accountant and she's a absolute gadget nut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I need to figure out what new Android smartphone to get. My parents have decided that since I'm difficult to shop for, that's what I'm getting for christmas this year. They've got enough money where budget isn't really an issue. We're on a family plan, so Verzion is my providor and that's not going to change for the time being. I'm a grown-rear end adult but this is the situation I'm in.

My understanding is that Verizon has a stupidly limited selection of phones that they'll let you use on their network, so I need to figure out what's good that's also on Verizon. A few years ago, this ended up being the Droid DNA. I've been pretty happy with my old Droid DNA, but it's got a big crack down the front and its battery life is getting worse every month.

Features I know I want:
Basically, this is my chance to get a really nice phone on the dime of someone who can afford it. I'm looking for a phone that I won't want to replace for a long time, because usually I'll be buying my own. I overuse my current phone watching movies in bed and do all my travel via Google Maps bus directions. What's the great phone that tech geeks are buying these days besides Nexus, because I can't get Nexus because of Verizon?

The DNA I'm using currently is absolutely great except for its battery life, which has always been mediocre and has been getting worse with time.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 18, 2014