Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Saint Fu posted:

My work laptop lease is up for a refresh and this year I get some input into what I get. My two choices are a Dell M4800 and a Dell E5400. Obviously the M4800 is better is nearly every way but it only comes with a solid state hybrid drive while the E5400 comes with a normal SSD. I am only concerned with speed here, are SSDs recommended over HSSDs because they're faster? Size/cost is not an issue.

Hybrids are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Bob Morales posted:

Hybrids are dumb
I wouldn't order it if it was up to me. For some dumb reason it's either an M4800 (i7-4800MQ, AMD FirePro M5100 gpu, 1920x1080 screen) with an HSSD or an E5400 (i5-4310U, integrated graphics, 1366x768 screen) with an SSD, trying to decide.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Saint Fu posted:

I wouldn't order it if it was up to me. For some dumb reason it's either an M4800 (i7-4800MQ, AMD FirePro M5100 gpu, 1920x1080 screen) with an HSSD or an E5400 (i5-4310U, integrated graphics, 1366x768 screen) with an SSD, trying to decide.
1366x768 screen is dumber than hybrid SSD.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Would they kill you if you imaged the HD onto a $80 SSD from Slickdeals?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rhaka posted:

Configuring a T440p like that puts me around 1350 euros, which seems acceptable enough if I get the full refund. I'd miss my ultrabook form factor though. Is there something terrible about the T440s?

Not particularly, but it's more expensive than the T440p for the same specs.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Bob Morales posted:

Would they kill you if you imaged the HD onto a $80 SSD from Slickdeals?
Probably would be heavily frowned upon. Looks like I spoke too soon as there is an option to upgrade the HSSD to an SSD for $250 :lol:

:argh: Apparently we're still in the stone age and require 32 bit OS for some of our in-house tools to work. Of course the M4800 is 64-bit only... ok just going to make them buy me some extra monitors. There's an option for upgrading the cpu on the M4800 but no upgrade options for the E5400 so I'll be stuck with the 2.0 Ghz i5-4310, annoying because my current laptop has a 2.7 Ghz i7-2620. Power consumption be damned, want that higher clock :argh: /rant

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Saint Fu posted:

Apparently we're still in the stone age and require 32 bit OS for some of our in-house tools to work.

It's the same thing at my workplace. We have some old-rear end 16-bit software that's apparently mission critical to some obscure department, so thousands of other users have to live with a ~3.5GB RAM limit :downs:

IE11 is a voluntary upgrade, the corporate standard browser is still IE8, again for compatibility with old-rear end applications.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I may have asked this before, but I don't think so: I have a ThinkPad t430 that I bought new about 2 years ago with an i5 processor. I use it mostly for programming, both school and work from home. I recently put in another 4 ram to get it up to 8. It performs great, mostly.

Two questions: one, the fan is really loud recently. Is that indicative of a problem?

Two, I really want to switch out the hard drive for an ssd. How easy / hard is this to do? What if I want to transfer the contents of the drive?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Doghouse posted:

Two questions: one, the fan is really loud recently. Is that indicative of a problem?

Two, I really want to switch out the hard drive for an ssd. How easy / hard is this to do? What if I want to transfer the contents of the drive?

Loud like it's running full blast or loud like the bearing is bad or something? You can buy new fans and either replace them yourself or have someone else do it.

SSD is an easy sway, check out the SSD thread for more information.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Oh, poo poo, that's a known issue? That explains... stuff.

I should get that fixed.

My ex roommate got one a month ago, and while I haven't seen it for myself, I trust his judgment. He's of the opinion that you have to be awfully spergy to notice the ghosting in regular daily use, although it's detectable if you're using a flat gray desktop.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Is there a consensus on http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MQLAA.004 ? Notebook check has it as the #2 lightweight gaming laptop but I hear a lot of complaints about wifi. Can you replace the card yourself?

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
I'm looking at getting a used laptop from a company that resells them. I got the same price for the Lenovo thinkpad t430s and x230 with the same processor, ram and ssd. Is there any clear winner here or is it just personal preference. I've read that the batterylife on the t430s isn't good and the contrast could be better, but the bigger screen and resolution compared to the x230 is making me lean that way. Am I as stupid as I suspect by going with the t430s?

Oh and by the way I'll mostly be using it running audio software. I dont play any games or anything like that so I mostly need it to be a classic portable workstation.

Edit: reread the op and found the info I needed there. Still feel free to call me stupid, I already suspect it myself.

uno.mannschaft fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 9, 2014

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Hadlock posted:

My ex roommate got one a month ago, and while I haven't seen it for myself, I trust his judgment. He's of the opinion that you have to be awfully spergy to notice the ghosting in regular daily use, although it's detectable if you're using a flat gray desktop.

Yeah, I didn't know about it, notice or care for the first 6 months or so. Then I started being able to see my facebook wall straight through other applications :/ It definitely gets worse over time, and I don't want to be in a position where my screen is shot to all hell without any warranty 1-2 years from now.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I need a new laptop for work. Won't run any games. Will almost exclusively be using Microsoft Office, Chrome, and Skype. The issue I have been having with my existing laptop is that I require having open a dozen different Excel spreadsheets and PDFs at any given time while also sharing on Skype and things just come to a crawl. Laptop needs to travel on site with customers, a bulky 17" laptop or whatever other workhorse would function but would be incredibly inconvenient. Is there any goon recommendation for a small form factor laptop that can multi task to the extent I'm looking at or am I going to have to deal with getting a bulkier machine? Expensing the cost, currently using a 2 year old Lenovo with like 4gb of RAM.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
The X1C Touch is really nice. I feel like this laptop is everything the T440p wasn't in terms of its build quality and the quality of the display. The adaptive LED bar thing is really weird though. I mean I get what they were trying to do with it, but in execution it's just kind of strange and I would prefer actual keys.

Dick Fagballzson fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 9, 2014

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
Any recommendations for a laptop to be used for music editing?

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I bought my wife a 15" HP Envy laptop for Xmas on Black Friday with decent specs. The only truly crappy thing in it is the 5400rpm drive in it, which I plan to replace with a SSD. Is there any bullshit I need to work around on the HP to do so, or should I be able to clone the drive over? I think the thing comes with Win8- are there downgrade rights to reinstall with Win7 if I choose?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Glass of Milk posted:

I think the thing comes with Win8- are there downgrade rights to reinstall with Win7 if I choose?
If it does, it'll be an advertised feature. If that's not the case, it's not going to happen. It's not likely to be the case if it's Home or Core or whatever they're calling it now. Downgrade rights are sold with computers aimed at a professional environment where there might be an actual reason (legacy software) for running Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 plus one of the start menu replacements (like Classic Shell) is the same thing though. Really. I'm one of the wieners who would complain bitterly about it if it wasn't.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I've been told by the parents that they want to get me a laptop for Christmas, as a polite thing I am keeping it under $500.

I am really not sure what to look for. My current laptop is 5 years old. The longest played games on my steam library are FTL and Risk of Rain with a dash of Shovel Knight. I will pick up a 6 month old indie game if I catch it on sale. I mainly web browse. I WOULD however like to get into some more graphic design or gamestudio stuff (same poo poo I've been saying for the past 10 years)

What is a good laptop that I can play TF2 or some other moderately system intensive indie game, POSSIBLY make some lovely flash animations or make videos of my friends going "lol I like dicks" ? Write term papers, drunkenly surf Facebook and youtube at 2am and play old PC games from 5 years ago on my steam library I'll never finish ?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm using my Lenovo Y580 and one problem I've had with it for a long time now is a horrific feedback noise the speakers make whenever the built-in microphone, or an external microphone, are activated (for example when using Mumble). Is there something physically wrong with my speakers? Is there a setting or something a more experienced Lenovo user could point out to me? The speakers work fine in normal use - youtube, movies, and games, but whenever the computer tries to use Mumble, forget it. Even with my speakers muted I can go into the sound setting and watch the bar go up and down from the feedback noise it wants to make.

Interestingly, Skype, and some in-game chat systems do not create this effect.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Anyone have any recommendations or experience with Dell ultrabooks?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

keeping it under $500.

What is a good laptop that I

can play TF2
drunkenly stalk my ex on Facebook and at 2am
play old steam games I'll never finish

Anything with an intel i5 and HD4000, preferably HD4400, which is most of them. Ivy Bridge came out in 2012 and Haswell in 2013 so you're good to go there. If it's going in your backpack and across the state to university then you need to look in to durability etc which $500 isn't going to really cut it for 4 more years.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I've been told by the parents that they want to get me a laptop for Christmas, as a polite thing I am keeping it under $500.

I am really not sure what to look for. My current laptop is 5 years old. The longest played games on my steam library are FTL and Risk of Rain with a dash of Shovel Knight. I will pick up a 6 month old indie game if I catch it on sale. I mainly web browse. I WOULD however like to get into some more graphic design or gamestudio stuff (same poo poo I've been saying for the past 10 years)

What is a good laptop that I can play TF2 or some other moderately system intensive indie game, POSSIBLY make some lovely flash animations or make videos of my friends going "lol I like dicks" ? Write term papers, drunkenly surf Facebook and youtube at 2am and play old PC games from 5 years ago on my steam library I'll never finish ?

tf2 runs on a baytrail 8" tablet these days, so I think quite literally any laptop you find will play games of that caliber.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I get like, 125fps @ 1366x768 with everything maxed out in TF2 on the HD4000. I don't know what the refresh rate is on the display on my laptop but it's less than 125hz and my eyeballs bleed knowing whether or not the Heavy has a hangnail on his ring finger or not.

It also plays Skyrim with all the settings turned down @ 35-40fps. The HD4400 in Haswell is ~15% faster than the HD4000.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anyone looking for a netbook? Woot has the x131e: http://www.woot.com/offers/lenovo-thinkpad-x131e-11-6-intel-laptop

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

-Blackadder- posted:

Anyone have any recommendations or experience with Dell ultrabooks?

My wife has a xps 13 and I'm not crazy about the trackpad but I think everything else is awesome.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Anything with an intel i5 and HD4000, preferably HD4400, which is most of them. Ivy Bridge came out in 2012 and Haswell in 2013 so you're good to go there. If it's going in your backpack and across the state to university then you need to look in to durability etc which $500 isn't going to really cut it for 4 more years.

To add to this, save a couple of options, nearly all 4th gen i5 mobile processors have a 4200 or better.

While the spec sheet of a laptop should specify, if you're not sure this list will tell you: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/75024/4th-Generation-Intel-Core-i5-Processors#@Mobile

As an easy way to know if what you're getting is decent, look at the processor model number. If it has a 4 at the beginning of the number part, that means 4th gen core. What you're going to want to think about is whether or not you intend to lug this thing around or not, and whether you want the thing to survive over several years. Resultantly, I would heavily recommend against Acer (and Toshiba if you find one, their failure rate in my experience is atrocious) in this price range if possible, as both cut costs by using lower quality bits in the frame construction or hardware components (though this is true for pretty much any computer in this price range). Consider finding an option that either has or can be upgraded to 8 GB of RAM as well; while you don't need it, it sure makes things a lot more pleasant.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Almighty laptop thread, I need some advice. My new job is asking me to tell them what laptop I want. I've had good experience with the Dells my current job has provided, but I'm open to other ideas. My wife has had 2 great Asus laptops, but we bought them based on price and not performance.

I will be traveling, sometimes to Canada, with this laptop. It will be used in warehouses and manufacturing facilities, so something that tends to die out when moved around should be avoided.

Must haves:
i5 minimum processor
8gb RAM
SSD hard drive

Nice to have:
15"+ screen, matte finish if possible
mouse buttons on the touchpad (not pushing down to click, I hate that)
1920x1080 resolution
long battery life

Not interested in Toshiba or Sony.

I was not given a dollar amount, but let's say around $800 or less.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

quote:

EVERYONE

Thanks for the help.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm looking for a laptop to use while traveling/living in a vw bus. Ideally it would be able to handle my 5000 tabs while browsingetting, not get totally destroyed by eclipse's lovely memory handling, and be able to play the new assassin's creed games decently. The one area I have no idea about with regards to laptops is the graphics cards, as laptops have always been pure work machines for me, with the exception of a netbook. Does it matter at all outside of gaming? What is a decent mid-range graphics card in a laptop, and what does that actually mean in terms of ability?

If anybody's got explanations or suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

surc posted:

I'm looking for a laptop to use while traveling/living in a vw bus. Ideally it would be able to handle my 5000 tabs while browsingetting, not get totally destroyed by eclipse's lovely memory handling, and be able to play the new assassin's creed games decently. The one area I have no idea about with regards to laptops is the graphics cards, as laptops have always been pure work machines for me, with the exception of a netbook. Does it matter at all outside of gaming? What is a decent mid-range graphics card in a laptop, and what does that actually mean in terms of ability?

If anybody's got explanations or suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them!

Literally nothing plays the New AC games well at all, and certainly nothing you're going to find in a laptop. The current top of the line desktop GPUs, a GTX 970 and a GTX 980 are barely sufficient to play Unity at 30 FPS and 1080p. An 860m, like is what is in a Lenovo Y50 (i.e. a midrange laptop GPU) is far below minimum requirements and will almost certainly be unable to play it at acceptable frame rates at all.

You could probably customize a Sager or something with a 970m or 980m but that's gonna cost you around 2 grand or so. They are approximately 60-75% of the power of their desktop equivalents, so... not great.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 10, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
URGENT

Say I wanted a laptop that can play video games real good at around the $1000 mark.

I'd like to hit 720p60 in Sonic Generations, and maintain 60fps when running at moderate settings on native res for games like Arkham City, TF2, or emulating the Wii.

What do?

Is Alienware worth it or not? What about the 1300bux Acer linked upthread?

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 11, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spoke Lee posted:

Is there a consensus on http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.MQLAA.004 ? Notebook check has it as the #2 lightweight gaming laptop but I hear a lot of complaints about wifi. Can you replace the card yourself?

This is what I'm referring to btw

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think people here generally gravitate towards the Y40 or Y50, what size screen do you want? What resolution do you need? Weight? Portability? I can emulate Wii (or maybe it was gamecube? it was a zelda game with a boat) games on my x230 with integrated graphics @ 1080p with the built in intel graphics. See a couple posts up from yours about TF2 stuff. You may not need a full "gaming rig" unless you want to play BF4 or something. It depends.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I think people here generally gravitate towards the Y40 or Y50, what size screen do you want? What resolution do you need? Weight? Portability? I can emulate Wii (or maybe it was gamecube? it was a zelda game with a boat) games on my x230 with integrated graphics @ 1080p with the built in intel graphics. See a couple posts up from yours about TF2 stuff. You may not need a full "gaming rig" unless you want to play BF4 or something. It depends.

I wanna hit 60fps rock-solid in Sonic Generations, which is a game from 2011 where you run really fast through very pretty scenery and reaction time is very important. I also wanna be able to play most new-ish games at at least console-pairity quality (i.e. 720p30 solid).

I also need a not-poo poo keyboard, a sturdy hinge, and something like a 1TB HDD, with or without additional SSD, and something like 8-16 gb ram so that I can keep loads of tabs open and capture/transcode video. Being easy to service is also important, like replacable keyboards. I don't need a huge screen or a resolution above 1080p. 15 inches seems reasonable to me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Will the Lenovo Y50 do the job I'm asking?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

DoctorWhat posted:

Will the Lenovo Y50 do the job I'm asking?

A Y50 sounds perfect for your needs. I don't know about how replaceable the keyboard is but the Y50 feels sturdy and well made, unlike it's predecessor the Y510p/410p. For storage it comes with a 1 TB HDD. I would recommend buying a 20 dollar external hard drive enclosure and a Samsung 840 EVO. Put bulk storage on your new 1 TB external and put games on the SSD. You don't need a terabyte of SSD storage, 500 or even 250 gigs will be sufficient.

You don't need the 16 gigs or ram or the 4 gig model of the 860m.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cool. I might do that hard drive/ssd swap later, but I've put the word out that I'm eyeing the Y50 as my Single Big Xmas Gift From My Whole Family.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

The Bramble posted:

I'm using my Lenovo Y580 and one problem I've had with it for a long time now is a horrific feedback noise the speakers make whenever the built-in microphone, or an external microphone, are activated (for example when using Mumble). Is there something physically wrong with my speakers? Is there a setting or something a more experienced Lenovo user could point out to me? The speakers work fine in normal use - youtube, movies, and games, but whenever the computer tries to use Mumble, forget it. Even with my speakers muted I can go into the sound setting and watch the bar go up and down from the feedback noise it wants to make.

Interestingly, Skype, and some in-game chat systems do not create this effect.
Which OS are you using? I had some minor mic issues with Audacity until I dropped Windows 7 for Windows 8 & 8.1 and used the Win 8.1 version of the drivers from Lenovo's site.

You can also try disabling one of the mic channels since the Y580 has dual mics, and some programs aren't too fond of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

DoctorWhat posted:

This is what I'm referring to btw

I'm down to this and the Y50 also. I just like the form factor and screen on the Acer. Just worried about the wifi.

Spoke Lee fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 11, 2014