Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Saros posted:

Haha I have no idea about American universities, is Brown good? Bad? Why is it named after a color?. I was assuming the insane cost was because of the Ivy league status.

The insane cost is because it's an Ivy, yeah. Brown University, it's like Harvard but people outside the US haven't heard of it! It's named after a guy named Brown, obviously. He was an abolitionist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
A lot of RI history is fascinating if you get into it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ranbo das posted:

Just accept that you're not getting the money, then ask her directly. Don't be confrontational, just say hey, remember that money? Any chance you have that for me? She'll probably make an excuse, judging from your post, then just let it go. All the passive-aggressive reminding game does is make you gradually more angry as she doesn't pick up on hints.

Yeeeeah...we've got a big Peter Pan problem in my family where no one ever wants to grow up and sit at the adult table. This is just another example of that.

She does get a super sweet employee discount on stuff that we were planning to buy our kids for Christmas. Normally we'd send her the money and receive goods in return. Perhaps I can position this as, "remember that cash you owe me, well we need to buy this and this. I'm sending you what we owe above the $200."

It's not accusatory and is difficult as all hell to weasel away from.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

silvergoose posted:

The insane cost is because it's an Ivy, yeah. Brown University, it's like Harvard but people outside the US haven't heard of it! It's named after a guy named Brown, obviously. He was an abolitionist!

And it's the butt of jokes for being a second-tier ivy missing a standout niche - kind of like Dartmouth.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Engineer Lenk posted:

And it's the butt of jokes for being a second-tier ivy missing a standout niche - kind of like Dartmouth.

"Lisa's going to Dartmouth, Lisa's going to Dartmouth"

and

"Willy went to Brown, didn't he?"

"Noooo not Brown!!!"

Basically, the Simpsons makes fun of both, yes.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

silvergoose posted:

"Lisa's going to Dartmouth, Lisa's going to Dartmouth"

and

"Willy went to Brown, didn't he?"

"Noooo not Brown!!!"

Basically, the Simpsons makes fun of both, yes.

I always thought The Social Network's reference to "BU" ("You don't have to study ... because you go to BU") in the opening scene was referring to Brown, but it's actually Boston University. The more you know! :eng101:

Ahhh, white people putting down other white people because of their chosen educational institution.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 8, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
"...the four years at clown college!"

"I'll thank you not to refer to Princeton that way." :colbert:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah, BU is always Boston University, Brown is just Brown.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
East coast private universities are bad with money (unless you have rich parents).

The best decision I ever made was turning down Cornell for free UC tuition.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Sucks to be you, Cornell would've covered your need 100%. Ivy Leagues have generous finaid (this is just a quick link, there's tons more info)

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Depending on the UC, there's no prestige drop and anywhere in California is better then anywhere in upstate New York.

College prestige whoring is pretty bad with money though.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Folly
May 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Sucks to be you, Cornell would've covered your need 100%. Ivy Leagues have generous finaid (this is just a quick link, there's tons more info)

Of course, they all have great aid packages. They give money to the smart kids to make the school look good on a resume. Then they charge out the rear end for the rich kids who weren't smart enough on their own and need a great education bullet point on their resume.

Remember, if it's free then you're the product, not the customer. Although in this case, the trade is a fair bit more equitable. In my opinion, better students have more of an impact on learning than better teachers, especially at college level.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Well poo poo, would that have been true before the recession? To be honest, the weather may have impacted my decision a bit too. I also made a bad with money/reading comprehension decision in college and missed out on a $1k/month stipend for my first 3 years.

edit: graduated in 5 years with 8k debt but I could have easily ended up in the green if I had bothered to do more scholarship legwork.

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 8, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't know about Cornell specifically, but yes, the Ivies made that shift around 2003-2004 with the big three leading.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Depending on the UC, there's no prestige drop and anywhere in California is better then anywhere in upstate New York.

College prestige whoring is pretty loving bad with money though.

Yeah its really gross.

My sister followed her best friend to the aforementioned BU. Her friend's tuition was 100% paid for by rich parents. My sister was saddled with almost 80k debt when she could have gone to UCI or UCSB for almost free :negative:.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I turned down Harvard in 2008 for a half-ride at my state school 'cause I didn't qualify for any aid and my parents had two more kids to edumacate

Sometimes I still wonder "what if" but I didn't really have the social intelligence to benefit from connections back then anyway. I got debt free within 6 months, so I'm pretty happy with how that turned out.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 16, 2015

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I turned down MIT for the same reason. WPI offered a large package. Still was hella expensive though, although not near what it is today which makes me weep for my brother who's a SR in HS now.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
Do you both not think that the benefits of attending any of the top universities in the world (Harvard, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge, etc) has a bigger effect on your future income than saving $150k by not going?

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Trilineatus posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean too start too much of a defensive argument :shobon: I'm a government social worker in a near-100% female work environment, and part of my job is appearing regularly in court. Men can have one suit, I need to have multiple outfits because our judge is senile and a huge bitch. A coworker of mine got ejected from her courtroom for having damp hair and open toed heels.

I have a couple coworkers who use this as an excuse to shop for designer clothes and wear expensive shoes because the judge does comment favorably on that, but at social worker wages I don't think that's worth it.

I've been thinking about this since I read it, and it really bothers me. How is that even legal? Since you are social workers I assume when you appear in court you are there to either testify or provide support for a client. If you are thrown out of court for wearing open-toed shoes it seems to be that would be a major disservice to your client and potentially have an impact on the court proceedings. Maybe I am over-reacting, but it seems like that is not okay and a judge should never be allowed to do that. It's not like she showed up in torn jeans and flip flops.

Saros posted:

He went to Brown apparently. 'Ivy League.' Reading between the lines he expected his father to pay for it all so never cared to try get scholarships or assistance or anything.

I started to read that thread but stopped because his attitude pissed me off. He *could* pay back the loans, but doesn't want to because it won't "benefit anyone." Okay. I fully believe people should make a good-faith effort to pay back what you owe and the program he is using (IBR) is to help people who are actually destitute or need the assistance. It just seems like he is lucky because it will be based on his father's income and not his own, which would presumably be higher. I was also wondering about the scholarship thing and I don't think he ever said what his degree was actually in either.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

tentish klown posted:

Do you both not think that the benefits of attending any of the top universities in the world (Harvard, MIT, Oxford, Cambridge, etc) has a bigger effect on your future income than saving $150k by not going?

I know my expensive college has benefited me. As a person deciding what school to go to, you can get a first order estimate just by looking at average starting salaries for the major/school you want(whether they converge or compound 10 years later is an exercise left to the reader).

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I know my expensive college has benefited me. As a person deciding what school to go to, you can get a first order estimate just by looking at average starting salaries for the major/school you want(whether they converge or compound 10 years later is an exercise left to the reader).

Or is it that more successful students tend towards more expensive colleges? I don't think you've got a clear cause/effect here. I will happily hire someone from DeVry if they can pass coding interviews.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

tentish klown posted:

A study by Dale and Krueger suggests that once you control for the schools people apply for the earning gap almost entirely disappears. It's actually interesting that acceptance seems to have very little impact compared to application. The one group where attending seems to matter is low income groups.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

tentish klown posted:

Frankly, no, not for me. I went to school for electrical engineering, and my state school is one of the best for that -- it was the difference between going to a top 5 program and a top 15, which in the world of engineering doesn't matter all that much, especially if you were socially incompetent like I was for a decent part of college. Maybe if I was trying to work for a startup, yeah, the big ticket name would have gotten my foot in the door, but I'm pretty happy working in municipal power, a field that hasn't changed much in the past 50 years. In terms of raw earning potential, well, they're considered the best for a reason, but the ends of that never really lined up with my life goals at all, so I probably just wouldn't have taken advantage of that potential anyway.

Besides that, I've been in the workforce for 2.5ish years and am 2 paychecks away from a net worth of $100k, so I'm still in probably the top 5% of non-inherited wealth for my age, and I'm pretty happy with that.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

She does get a super sweet employee discount on stuff that we were planning to buy our kids for Christmas. ... It's not accusatory and is difficult as all hell to weasel away from.
Prepare for her to say that her discount is enough to cover the $200, especially if you've taken advantage in the past. And also be prepared to drive a wedge between you and her if you go this passive-aggressive route.

Never lend money to friends or family if you expect to ever see that money again. Is $200 worth destroying your relationship?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

tentish klown posted:

For an engineer, maybe but not necessarily. Graduating without an enormous pile of debt means you can choose the job you want to do rather than the one that pays the best.

For other majors, the real benefit is access to the luminaries and future luminaries in your chosen field, do if you're going to be a banker or politician, that is certainly something to consider.

Nearly everyone else will see no extra employment benefit over a top tier state school for undergrad. If you absolutely must have a snob school diploma, get a graduate degree and get it for free.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Jesus wept, $230k for an undergrad degree!? On the other hand he claims to be saving $3k/mo, so must at least be well-compensated.

He also mentioned that at the end of the 25 year forgiveness period, his dad will be 92 and if he just so happens to pass before that time, the whole loan amount is forgiven. Of course he doesn't want that to happen, he's just being practical.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Old Fart posted:

Prepare for her to say that her discount is enough to cover the $200, especially if you've taken advantage in the past. And also be prepared to drive a wedge between you and her if you go this passive-aggressive route.

Never lend money to friends or family if you expect to ever see that money again. Is $200 worth destroying your relationship?

Well, I didn't lend it. I paid for our grandmother to be cremated and asked family members to help. The $200 is what she offered. I've "lent" plenty of money to family members and yeah, usually we call it a loan so it doesn't look like the charity it most obviously is.

For me the $200 isn't the issue. I've got two family members in my closet that I still have to bury. $200 is chump change. This is more about the social contract thing where you take care of your elders so that the next generation takes care of you. Which I'm starting to realize is bad with money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

baquerd posted:

Or is it that more successful students tend towards more expensive colleges? I don't think you've got a clear cause/effect here. I will happily hire someone from DeVry if they can pass coding interviews.

That's hiring for a technical specialty. You don't (need to) go to (really any college) for a technical specialty.

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

OneWhoKnows posted:

He also mentioned that at the end of the 25 year forgiveness period, his dad will be 92 and if he just so happens to pass before that time, the whole loan amount is forgiven. Of course he doesn't want that to happen, he's just being practical.

Yeah that part was pretty gross to me. Who really says stuff like that?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
This seems on topic:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2on91q/how_do_i_convince_my_little_brother_not_to_take/ posted:

He is very talented but even if he becomes a Broadway lead, I think paying off the debt would be nearly impossible. The schools he is considering are no less than 30k per year and some are MUCH more. How do you get through to a passionate teen who has their heart set on something?

Yes, ive encouraged him towards cheaper gen eds for the first few years but he is absolutely refuses to consider community college

quote:

Tell him the story of my brother. Very talented, has a MA in Musical Theater / Vocal Performance from NYU. Currently working as a waiter/bartender in NYC for the past 7ish years with no plans to audition for anything else. He's interested in the PhD program to become a professor, but hasn't gotten into the program, and has realized music professors at many colleges start around 50k/yr. He pays about $1700 a month towards his 110k in student loans. I don't want to say his future is hosed, as he's bright and capable, but he's got a long road ahead.
LOL.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2ombrj/paid_by_commision_do_i_need_to_make_at_least/ posted:

Post is about girlfriend.
She is a hair stylist who gets paid on commision and is a w2 employee. I know if you are someone who gets tips like a waitress you need to make at least minimum wage. So if your tips+wage don't add up to minimum wage you need to be paid the rest. I'm not sure how it works for commision based jobs though. http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm
Can anyone confirm if this is true or if not?
Last week she made ~$50 for 39 hours of work including tips, and I just don't think this is right. I could see if she was a 1099 contractor who just worked when she wanted but her boss makes her come in and work full days without pay pretty much.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Well, I didn't lend it. I paid for our grandmother to be cremated and asked family members to help. The $200 is what she offered. I've "lent" plenty of money to family members and yeah, usually we call it a loan so it doesn't look like the charity it most obviously is.

For me the $200 isn't the issue. I've got two family members in my closet that I still have to bury. $200 is chump change. This is more about the social contract thing where you take care of your elders so that the next generation takes care of you. Which I'm starting to realize is bad with money.
Sounds like some drama right there. I would be straight forward, its the only way to resolve this.

Also, you may consider using a freeze vs closet for corpses, they're going to smell something awful soon if they don't already.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I find a massive difference in my Harvard courses from my non Harvard courses, coming from a small state school for undergrad. The expectations of the students are higher, the level of discussion is higher, and significantly less time is spent devoted to covering material you should have learned already.

The current MBA program at the Business School is leaps and bounds ahead of an MBA from most schools that churn them out these days. Amount spent per student and the opportunities you're given as an MBA candidate at the top tier schools are incredibly different from the bottom tier.

But I don't understand the people who go to the Graduate School of Education to become high school teachers. It makes no sense there, when you're just learning established curriculum there's no reason to be at an Ivy. You're there to do cutting edge research with leaders in the field, stuff you can't do elsewhere. If you just want to sit in a classroom and learn all about Black Holes there's no reason to do it at Harvard instead of UMass.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

baquerd posted:

I'm not saying the gap in genuine education is that much better, only that they get better starting pay and presumed knowledge. Yes, pretty much any company would hire a competent person from DeVry, but would you expend a limited recruiting budget attending job fairs there instead of a school with a better reputation? I'd be interested in seeing percentiles for a variety of degrees, both starting and 10 years later, but you're right that still doesn't remove the confounder.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

Sounds like some drama right there. I would be straight forward, its the only way to resolve this.

I went the straight-forward route and sent her an email asking if it'd be possible to apply the $200 toward the order.

quote:

Also, you may consider using a freeze vs closet for corpses, they're going to smell something awful soon if they don't already.

Look at this newb who doesn't keep a bag of lime in his car trunk.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Krispy Kareem posted:

I went the straight-forward route and sent her an email asking if it'd be possible to apply the $200 toward the order.
Excellent, good call. Definitely the best route.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Look at this newb who doesn't keep a bag of lime in his car trunk.
I am inexperienced with corpse upkeep and disposal.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

I want to print a house :(

I love these ideas guys that think 3d printing is cost effective and have no experience in the construction industry. If only these ideas guys had some method of getting paid for their ideas.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2oo7yr/bad_stock_choice_with_alot_of_realized_lost_value/ posted:

Background: Im 27 and earn a 120k yr salary + 10% bonus + side work. last year I had 150k in taxable income, mostly all w2. This year I expect to have about 130k in taxable income, all w2.
I made a handful of really bad stock choices over the past year... basically had alot of cash and wanted to try day trading, hosed up big time. Started the year with my trading account at about 88k (about 50k was my cash and 38k were paper gains) and put in an additional 30k into it. At one point had my account up to 155k range, now it is around 55k range.

image of the stocks positions current and closed. . All values in proceeds are realized. If you take into account my total loss for day trading (36,727) plus my gains of ESPP and RSU's (22,917 and 6163), I have a total YTD realized loss of about 7k. I have another unrealized loss of another 30k for stocks I currently hold.
Any advice on what I should do for my tax situation? My realized losses are well over the 5k cap your allowed to have for the year, even though i put close to 50k of my earned cash for the year into the account and basically lost it all.
Not interested in having anyone belittle or degrade my choices, I know I hosed up with OPTT. Really hoping there's some surge in the Green energy market and it bounces back up for a day so I can get out. I don't see the company going under anytime soon, but I'm also not too sure about it doing any better with its current management. I'm part of a lawsuit against them for firing the ceo but I doubt that will materialize into anything for myself.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Devian666 posted:

I love these ideas guys that think 3d printing is cost effective and have no experience in the construction industry. If only these ideas guys had some method of getting paid for their ideas.

Please no. We have enough ideas guys as it is.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Posts like this make me giddy about being a boring schmuck when it comes to investing

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

edit: graduated in 5 years with 8k debt but I could have easily ended up in the green if I had bothered to do more scholarship legwork.

Scholarships are potentially some of the easiest money around, if I could tell high school seniors (and even people already in college) anything that'd be near the top of the list.

When I was seventeen, I took my one of my college admission essays and spent about ten minutes changing around specific mentions of the university to "life in general", and sent it in to a National Merit competition through my dad's company, which wound up netting me a cool $8,000 ($1k/semester for eight semesters). I'd be surprised if I can ever top that time invested:money ratio in my life. Professors would tell me about obscure departmental scholarships that would sometimes go unclaimed because nobody applied. In most cases we're not talking the riches of Solomon or anything, but $500 here and $1,000 there can definitely add up, especially when you talk about student loans and interest down the line. When I was going to Beijing to do an internship I'd set up, I once had the department throw a thousand no-strings-attached dollars at me unsolicited.*

Studying abroad in college can be a really Good With Money way to see the world, in addition to the scholarships available (check your university, the host university, your country's government, the host country's government, bilateral organizations, etc), the programs are often subsidized to begin with, and exchanges typically let you apply your existing financial aid. The opportunities available to you as a student are far greater than you'll ever get later on in life (when you're also likely tied down with lots more additional responsibilities), I can't recommend it enough. I did about three years out of six abroad as an undergrad.

*I think a good amount of my success is related to the "big fish, small pond" phenomenon: my grades/test scores were significantly higher than the average for the university I went to, they offered me some scholarships with my acceptance letter that I didn't even know existed. If I'd gone to an Ivy (unlikely I would have even gotten into even a scrub-tier one like Brown) I'm sure people would have thought I was a lazy dolt. Even at the better state school that was my original first choice, I don't think I would have had the same great opportunities. Whether this would outweigh the networking benefits at a better school I can't say (would probably depend on the individual and the field, I would guess not), but it's certainly an upshot that not a lot of people think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scenty
Feb 8, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Scholarships are potentially some of the easiest money around, if I could tell high school seniors (and even people already in college) anything that'd be near the top of the list.

When I was seventeen, I took my one of my college admission essays and spent about ten minutes changing around specific mentions of the university to "life in general", and sent it in to a National Merit competition through my dad's company, which wound up netting me a cool $8,000 ($1k/semester for eight semesters). I'd be surprised if I can ever top that time invested:money ratio in my life. Professors would tell me about obscure departmental scholarships that would sometimes go unclaimed because nobody applied. In most cases we're not talking the riches of Solomon or anything, but $500 here and $1,000 there can definitely add up, especially when you talk about student loans and interest down the line. When I was going to Beijing to do an internship I'd set up, I once had the department throw a thousand no-strings-attached dollars at me unsolicited.*

Studying abroad in college can be a really Good With Money way to see the world, in addition to the scholarships available (check your university, the host university, your country's government, the host country's government, bilateral organizations, etc), the programs are often subsidized to begin with, and exchanges typically let you apply your existing financial aid. The opportunities available to you as a student are far greater than you'll ever get later on in life (when you're also likely tied down with lots more additional responsibilities), I can't recommend it enough. I did about three years out of six abroad as an undergrad.

*I think a good amount of my success is related to the "big fish, small pond" phenomenon: my grades/test scores were significantly higher than the average for the university I went to, they offered me some scholarships with my acceptance letter that I didn't even know existed. If I'd gone to an Ivy (unlikely I would have even gotten into even a scrub-tier one like Brown) I'm sure people would have thought I was a lazy dolt. Even at the better state school that was my original first choice, I don't think I would have had the same great opportunities. Whether this would outweigh the networking benefits at a better school I can't say (would probably depend on the individual and the field, I would guess not), but it's certainly an upshot that not a lot of people think of.

I really think this depends a lot though. I applied for scholarships all 4 years of my undergrad and never got one despite my exemplary GPA, strong recommendation letters and some cool extra-curricular activities. I returned to school at 25 and in a different state where I had been living for more than a year (so tuition was in-state). You would be surprised how many scholarships require you to have graduated from a high school in the same state, and how many require you to be attending a college in the same state you graduated from. This wasn't easy for me to do since I moved from NJ to Oregon. A lot of the scholarships that are geared towards "returning" students such as myself are designed for people with kids. I don't have kids. My employer doesn't offer a scholarship and I don't have any parents to speak of to try and get a scholarship through their company. It's just not true across the board that scholarships are "easy" money. The piddly few that I did qualify for had such a large pool of applicants the numbers were against me. At least I got a hardship tuition remission from the school.

• Locked thread