Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
You leave Far Cry 4 out of this. It's the one recent game Ubisoft didn't gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

I'm in norway so shipping will be too much. I'm going over the PS Store, and the only version I CAN buy is the Full Game Upgrade.

Just checking: it's the same game, but it's cheaper for a PS+ member to buy it, right?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Watch Dogs had a lot of flaws but at least it didn't have horrendous technical problems :unsmith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

snodig posted:

I'm in norway so shipping will be too much. I'm going over the PS Store, and the only version I CAN buy is the Full Game Upgrade.

Just checking: it's the same game, but it's cheaper for a PS+ member to buy it, right?

Yes.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yikes, I have Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadows of Mordor, and probably Far Cry 4 coming to me over the next few weeks. That's probably enough to tide me over until like...mid-May or so

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

haveblue posted:

Watch Dogs had a lot of flaws but at least it didn't have horrendous technical problems :unsmith:

I do think about how they scaled back graphics on Watch Dogs from where they were in that initial trailer, and I wonder if they hadn't done that, would it have lead to massive framerate issues like we're seeing now in Unity.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ok, screw waiting for the PS+ demo version thingy, I'm totally buying this.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

BisterdDave posted:

Ok, screw waiting for the PS+ demo version thingy, I'm totally buying this.

I am really tempted as well since Amazon price is very good right now ($34). How difficult would it be to drive with a regular controller ?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Oops, I didn't realize they made Motorstorm. I really did think this was a brand new developer or something, I dunno. But no, it didn't release in a worse state than any UBISoft game. That's crazy. DriveClub had it's online servers pretty thoroughly broken, but the game otherwise was bug free. UBISoft titles have game crippling bugs, and if in the case of Far Cry 4 and Unity, 20 minute wait times to get into the single player because you can't cancel out of logging into UPlay.

Seems like apples and oranges to me. Driveclub is a multiplayer focused game that pretty much launched without multiplayer, that's a huge problem. Unity is mainly single player and you can totally play it, it's just not very good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oblomov posted:

I am really tempted as well since Amazon price is very good right now ($34). How difficult would it be to drive with a regular controller ?

I just use the controller and it plays fine in my opinion.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

oblomov posted:

Totally fine. The game plays very well on the gamepad.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

I said come in! posted:

I just use the controller and it plays fine in my opinion.

Hell with it, bought! My backlog is tremendous between PS4, PS3, Vita and PC, but I can see spending hours just driving around in the snow.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

holocaust bloopers posted:

^^^
The developers did a tech-oriented interview with Digital Foundry where they said that during the weather development that the water actually collects. They noticed this when the lakes on the maps began to rise. Evo took this poo poo seriously. Their maps are all built to properly work with the dynamic lighting and weather.

Uh that's just a triggered event. Not actual water collecting in lakes. Unless they are doing real time particle simulations for trillions upon trillions of particles (they aren't).

The actual windshield particles et al are cool though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

haveblue posted:

Particles, so it's simplified but that's more or less right. This generation is focusing a lot on GPGPU and particles are a perfect use of that because it's thousands of objects which obey the same behavioral rules but don't interact with each other.

The lit snow is probably a shader effect that does a bit of math based on a list of headlight cones in 3D space, and the windshield I'm guessing is done with a vector field repeatedly applied to a texture that contains the droplet's current and historical positions.

Cool stuff. I guess the game is finally at the point it should've been at release.

haveblue posted:

Was the 'stuck loading at 90% if you redeemed an Uplay thing' common?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
The Witcher 3 is delayed until May 19th. I could've sworn I heard during the keynote on Saturday that they were excited for everyone to experience the game when it releases in February. I think the guy even paused before saying "February".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BisterdDave posted:

The Witcher 3 is delayed until May 19th. I could've sworn I heard during the keynote on Saturday that they were excited for everyone to experience the game when it releases in February. I think the guy even paused before saying "February".
Wow, another game got delayed? I thought the beginning of next year was going to be pure concentrated game insanity, but I guess now it's more spread out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

God damnit. :( This is my most anticipated game for 2015.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, another game got delayed? I thought the beginning of next year was going to be pure concentrated game insanity, but I guess now it's more spread out.

You're surprised by another games delay? It almost seems like a standard now, everyone's doing it.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

BisterdDave posted:

You're surprised by another games delay? It almost seems like a standard now, everyone's doing it.

I'm actually more interested in their Cyberpunk offering, but delays to Witcher 3 aren't necessarily bad. Consider that we're beginning to see the backlash against the 'soft launch early access' release dates and their anemic pre-orders.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BisterdDave posted:

It's better than releasing unfinished games, at least.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
FYI, Samurai Warriors 4 Limited Edition is $44 on Amazon right now. That one includes special case, soundtrack, some anime movie and the game. It's $10 cheaper then regular version. Really tempted as I really liked 8XL and Orochi while fun on Vita is not quite the same as playing it on the big screen.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Delays don't mean a game will release polished. If anything, delayed games have actually released still broken and buggy.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Good, hopefully the push back and bad press of games like unity and MCC are going to make publishers think twice about relying so heavily on post release patching again finally.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Probad posted:

You leave Far Cry 4 out of this. It's the one recent game Ubisoft didn't gently caress up.

The last patch for the game 'accidently' removed crepuscular rays.
The rabbit hole goes even deeper. It was never in the XO version and was advertised on the PC version as an nvidia only feature.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crappy Jack posted:

I do think about how they scaled back graphics on Watch Dogs from where they were in that initial trailer, and I wonder if they hadn't done that, would it have lead to massive framerate issues like we're seeing now in Unity.

Almost certainly seeing as the PC mod that put them back in caused a significant performance drop.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

oblomov posted:

FYI, Samurai Warriors 4 Limited Edition is $44 on Amazon right now. That one includes special case, soundtrack, some anime movie and the game. It's $10 cheaper then regular version. Really tempted as I really liked 8XL and Orochi while fun on Vita is not quite the same as playing it on the big screen.

I'm sort of tempted, but it's looking like Hyrule Warriors is going to meet all my Musou needs for the next...three years, approximately.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Watching a stream of Driveclub, why did they have the weather affect the camera during 3rd person? It looks annoying as hell.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Now knowing anything about it since I haven't played it yet, I'm guessing it's because the people driving in 3rd person should not have an advantage over the people driving in 1st person during online races.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I said come in! posted:

DriveClub really is a good game. I don't think Evolution Studio deserves to be punished for their initial gently caress up. This is their first game, they learned from their mistakes, and they have patched the game 8 times since launch, giving away DLC that was otherwise going to be paid even, and adding more free content else where, such as new tracks.

You don't think Evo Studios deserves to get serious poo poo for having their game be busted for a month? (And we're in December now (The game was out 10/7) and Challenges just went live like a week ago or something. Also this isn't really their first game.

ALL THAT SAID, this weather update looks nice. I bailed out and got a refund RIGHT before they patched in the, umm, better online crash physics so people couldn't gently caress you over so bad, so I have no idea how much that improved the online.

The graphics looked amazing, but were also a lot jaggier and more shimmery in places than I was expecting from pre-release hype.

ALL THAT SAID, I kinda want to buy this again, lol. Maybe we should all make a pact to get it once it gets cheap (I'm holding out for digital. It's not exactly a game you play for hours on end for the story, so being able to quick-boot it without need of finding a disc, etc.. would be ideal.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe all these devs saw this was the "VIDEOGAME WINTER OF DISCONTENT" with all these broke-rear end Triple-A games and were like "gently caress, we better make sure our poo poo is air tight.".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Feenix posted:

You don't think Evo Studios deserves to get serious poo poo for having their game be busted for a month? (And we're in December now (The game was out 10/7) and Challenges just went live like a week ago or something. Also this isn't really their first game.

ALL THAT SAID, this weather update looks nice. I bailed out and got a refund RIGHT before they patched in the, umm, better online crash physics so people couldn't gently caress you over so bad, so I have no idea how much that improved the online.

The graphics looked amazing, but were also a lot jaggier and more shimmery in places than I was expecting from pre-release hype.

ALL THAT SAID, I kinda want to buy this again, lol. Maybe we should all make a pact to get it once it gets cheap (I'm holding out for digital. It's not exactly a game you play for hours on end for the story, so being able to quick-boot it without need of finding a disc, etc.. would be ideal.)

The developers responded by giving out free content, making gameplay improvements, and sticking to their word by having the weather stuff out this month. poo poo happens and they made good on everything with just the free PS+ edition being the last thing to check off.

But hey gamer entitlement and whatnot.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
As long as Grim Fandango still comes out in January, I'm alright. There's a lot of PS4 stuff in the next six months.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

The developers responded by giving out free content, making gameplay improvements, and sticking to their word by having the weather stuff out this month. poo poo happens and they made good on everything with just the free PS+ edition being the last thing to check off.

Why yes, gamers are entitled to their $60 games actually working when they purchase them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

No. Not gamer entitlement and whatnot. I didn't knee-jerk. I bought it day one, I was patient. I waited like a month and a half through all the "WE FIXED IT BETTER!" and not having it still work. Once they stopped updating status daily, (or even every couple of days) I said.. ok, I'm going to get a refund now. It's been 30 days and I still can't play online and some of the features are still broken. It was a very calm, rational decision.

And, that's cool that they offered people free poo poo. I mean, they had to do something. But free poo poo on a game that was broken for 30 of it's most important days is just free poo poo on a game that was broken for 30 of its most important days, no?

ALL THAT SAID It is a testament to this weather video that homey posted above that I am actually SERIOUSLY considering buying it again. IT LOOKS SO loving GOOD!

Ometeotl posted:

Why yes, gamers are entitled to their $60 games actually working when they purchase them.

50. But yes. ;)

Or if not "When they purchase them" at the very least "Within a few days of ironing out unexpected kinks."

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

a shameful boehner posted:

Yikes, I have Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadows of Mordor, and probably Far Cry 4 coming to me over the next few weeks. That's probably enough to tide me over until like...mid-May or so
I'm 50 hours into Inquisition. I think I'm just a bit over half way. Hard to tell when you don't do story missions. I'll probably blow past the story.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Looks like Square is bringing in not only FFVII to PS4 but also X/X-2 remakes. Please be excited. They had an announcement on their French side and pulled it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
X sucks. Bring out 9.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

oblomov posted:

Looks like Square is bringing in not only FFVII to PS4 but also X/X-2 remakes. Please be excited. They had an announcement on their French side and pulled it.

What happened to Final Fantasy Type-0 HD? I already bought X/X-2 for Vita, so unless its cross buy then I don't care.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

I said come in! posted:

What happened to Final Fantasy Type-0 HD? I already bought X/X-2 for Vita, so unless its cross buy then I don't care.

It's still coming. End of March I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

rear end Catchcum posted:

X sucks. Bring out 9.

This guy gets it.

• Locked thread