Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They still have to deal with the elephant in the room of Gold wanting to rule non-fairy tale world as a magical dictator. However no one in the cast other than Hook even knows his Mickey Mouse hat plot point exists so I'm not sure how that's going to get resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Disharmony posted:

Isn't Cruella a tad underpowered to be hanging around the likes of Maleficent and Ursula?

Seriously. They could give her powers randomly like Little Bo-Peep but what kind of powers come off of stealing puppies to make a coat? Controlling the minds of dogs? Can she summon anyone wearing a fur coat?

I thought they were going to do a Wonderland arc since they've got Will Scarlett hanging around. I can't decide if his character in Once right now is pre or post Wonderland series.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ashez2ashes posted:

I thought they were going to do a Wonderland arc since they've got Will Scarlett hanging around. I can't decide if his character in Once right now is pre or post Wonderland series.

I was happy he was joining the cast, but it feels like he's sort of been wasted. Maybe they'll do something interesting with him in the next half season. I'm close to positive its post Wonderland.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Bicyclops posted:

So wait... Having not seen the episode yet (we're watching it tonight), does this story pretty much wrap up the arc? What on earth are they going to do next week then?

This was the "winter finale" (god how I hate that trend) so they'll just use that as a reset I would assume.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Did the series get a new lead writer this season or something?

Rumplestiltskin seasons 1-3: I want to reunite and reconcile with my son. Nothing else matters than that, other than movies all the chess pieces (people) in the world around to achieve that.

Season 4: I wanna rule the world!

Rumple has never even mentioned in passing a desire to rule over people, or be any variety of king. Why do you need people to worship and obey you when you have limitless power?

I can't see how he could even justify this desire. It's one thing to escape the dagger, it's another to be so generically evil that you want to be absolute ruler of all. Maybe if Belle had died and Henry loathed him, maybe if he needed some goal to fill the void inside of him, but his life seems pretty good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kelly posted:

This was the "winter finale" (god how I hate that trend)

Oh man I LOVE that new trend. Having two back to back short seasons as opposed to one long 22 episode season keeps things moving and I feel like it keeps the stories from overstaying their welcome. Especially on this show

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Oh man I LOVE that new trend. Having two back to back short seasons as opposed to one long 22 episode season keeps things moving and I feel like it keeps the stories from overstaying their welcome. Especially on this show

I think its smart to structure it that way. People don't feel less discouraged about starting again after the break if they don't remember what was happening very well. It also keeps the show as a whole from never having an ending if it gets canceled at those points. I think the show's been on the edge for awhile now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, I agree. I've always thought 20 was stretching it and shows that limit themselves to the teens are smart, and this show is simple enough that the can get it done in a little over 10 episodes.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

ashez2ashes posted:

I think its smart to structure it that way. People don't feel less discouraged about starting again after the break if they don't remember what was happening very well. It also keeps the show as a whole from never having an ending if it gets canceled at those points. I think the show's been on the edge for awhile now.

I don't think Once will be getting canceled anytime soon, considering it's one of ABC's most popular shows right now and always pulls in strong numbers. This thread doesn't really reflect Once's popularity as a whole. I think that's because it appeals to pretty much everyone really who would want any kind of show since it covers so much ground and a lot of people love Disney.

Jesto posted:

Rumplestiltskin seasons 1-3: I want to reunite and reconcile with my son. Nothing else matters than that, other than movies all the chess pieces (people) in the world around to achieve that.

Rumple has never even mentioned in passing a desire to rule over people, or be any variety of king. Why do you need people to worship and obey you when you have limitless power?

I can't see how he could even justify this desire. It's one thing to escape the dagger, it's another to be so generically evil that you want to be absolute ruler of all. Maybe if Belle had died and Henry loathed him, maybe if he needed some goal to fill the void inside of him, but his life seems pretty good.

But did he actually say he wanted to rule the world, or was he just talking himself up to intimidate Hook who is like literally his least favorite person ever? The only things he's said so far about his plans were "I want to leave Storybrooke with Belle" and "I won't hurt anyone in Storybrooke but the rest of the world ooooh who knows".

Kobanya
Aug 6, 2013

ashez2ashes posted:

Seriously. They could give her powers randomly like Little Bo-Peep but what kind of powers come off of stealing puppies to make a coat? Controlling the minds of dogs? Can she summon anyone wearing a fur coat?

I'm wondering the same. The only thing I can think of is that maybe with her wealth (I mean, I always thought Cruella was rich in the movie), she's the financial backer of a lot of evil schemes. Maybe she's the main power in the fur coat industry, or something. But yeah, pretty much anything I can think of is rather terrible.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Jesto posted:

Actually no, there's almost little turnover from the writers from previous seasons. Also the shift to half-season arcs (in many of ABC's other series') means they might not be able to accommodate side characters too often, unfortunately. Compare that to S1 or S2 where side characters occasionally got an episode for characters we don't really see anymore.

Also Rumple is not really trying to rule the world, but he has lost his son, so the last two people who gives a poo poo about is Belle (who has a blindspot to him to him) and Henry (his grandson for obvious reasons). He's also the same, but he just wants to not live in Storybrooke anymore, but he's too much of a coward to do it without his magic. Also him trying to get rid of being tied to the dagger does make sense since everyone always tries to go for it and control him. He just wants to be left in peace with a family he can call his own, but he's definitely gonna cheat the system to make sure it happens under his rules.

Kinda sad that they had that Belle episode a few weeks ago and it was fantastic for her and how it progressed the Frozen arc but now she's kinda just back to where she was again. Yeah, yeah, blame the mirror, but I was kinda hoping it would've opened her eyes to Rumple there.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Macaluso posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I think it's a great idea for story structure purposes, but it's the worst when you have to wait several weeks (months!) for a new episode.

For example, some other show is off for almost two months - it's one of the Thursday ABC shows or the Good Wife maybe...tough to recommit to a show after all that time.

I like the way cable does it - one season, 12 or so episodes in a row, done. There's enough TV out there to keep you busy. But the winter finales all happen at the same time creating a viewing void. :)

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 8, 2014

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

I don't think Once will be getting canceled anytime soon, considering it's one of ABC's most popular shows right now and always pulls in strong numbers. This thread doesn't really reflect Once's popularity as a whole. I think that's because it appeals to pretty much everyone really who would want any kind of show since it covers so much ground and a lot of people love Disney.

It was a little up in the air last season. The emma leaving storybrooke arc was structured in series ending sort of way because of it. The ratings might have improved since last season. I hope they have, since this last arc was much stronger than the Oz storyline.

The trend of killing off the villians is getting a bit boring, though. I rather wish the Snow Queen had survived. Emma and Elsa and the Snow Queen could have linked hands or something and saved her with the power of friendship or whatever. If you're going to go for cheese you might as well go all out.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 8, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bicyclops posted:

I was happy he was joining the cast, but it feels like he's sort of been wasted. Maybe they'll do something interesting with him in the next half season. I'm close to positive its post Wonderland.

I don't know, he's fun to have around and the ADRed crickets after he fell into the wall cracked me up.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!
:aaaaa:

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Well, not how I expected them to come into the story, but next season should be good.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I'm excited for the rest of the season! I did not expect any of that to happen. I also completely forgot there was a curse around the town lines.

Private Label
Feb 25, 2005

Encapsulate the spirit of melancholy. Easy. BOOM. A sad desk. BOOM. Sad wall. It's art. Anything is anything.
Noooooooo :ohdear: whyyyyy

On the flip side, ever since True Blood finished, I needed more Pam in my life!

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Something that's been lacking a bit in Once recently is that sense of mystery and menace that magic carried in the first season or two. This episode really brought it back.

Robert Carlisle is knocking it out of the park, no surprise. That conversation with Regina in the car, and his being forced outside the town line - fantastic work.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

God finally, Belle found her backbone.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So isn't Malificent... dead? How are they bringing her back? Not that I'm not glad to have Pam back on my TV again.

I'm really interested in Cruella's backstory when we get to it. I'm relieved that she is apparently from the enchanted forest, even if her clothes say otherwise. I hated the fact that Wendy and her brothers actually existed in our world beyond movies/books and was worried they were going to do the same thing with Cruella.

Really looking forward to seeing Rumple's next plan unfold, although I'm not looking forward to waiting til loving MARCH.

Also Ursula should be fat as hell. This is bullshit :colbert:

Minitrue
Aug 6, 2010
I just want Rumple to lay waste to everyone and "win".

Seems I'm in the minority, but I think this season has been awful. Couldn't stand the Fozen arc, the characters were some how more campy and stupid than normal. The Ice Queen was pretty good though.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I was hoping Cruella would be from 'Our World.' And that Ursula would be rather rotund. As for Maleficent, I don't know how they'll explain her being alive again, but I missed Pam.

I really enjoyed the Frozen Arc, I just wish we had more Anna. Plus Elsa really could've changed clothes once. It would've been nice for the Snow Queen to not have been as 'evil' and received some sort of redemption.

Glad to see Belle grew a backbone and kicked Rumple out.

Ugh... March!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rumpelstiltskin is such a whiny tool when he actually has to face up to his actions every once is a while; it's nice that his smug rear end, hubristic plan fell apart the way is should have. Belle's naivety was getting annoying so it's cool she admitted she mistaken. His actor really nailed both scenes.

Also Regina's "you know it does" when toasting to his misery was pretty great. I'm hoping the Robin Hood stuff is over since that whole dynamic was skin crawling awkward for everyone. The woman going to the other one that killed her, resulting in her husband falling out of love with her to tell the murderer that she's free to steal her husband was really weird.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I hate to say it, but I'm sort of disappointed in the casting of Ursula. They had a great opportunity to bring on a fierce black drag queen to play the role and we got Atkins diet lady with an octopus costume kinda. Boooring.

I mean can you imagine how awesome Pam would be with a drag queen sidekick?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 15, 2014

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So the author of the storybook is the wizard? The guy also known as Yen Sid? The guy who was actually modelled after Walt Disney? This show is so incredibly cheesy in the best ways possible.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 15, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

I hate to say it, but I'm sort of disappointed in the casting of Ursula. They had a great opportunity to bring on a fierce black drag queen to play the role and we got Atkins diet lady with an octopus costume kinda. Boooring.

Uh yeah, blame Community. Yvette Nicole Brown was actually Ursula if you remembered from the finale last year (the ball that Hook and Emma went to when they got sent back in time). But she clearly has to be on Community because it got renewed so they recast her role.

And yes, thank god Belle grew her backbone back. I was expecting great things after she took a look in the mirror a few episodes back. I kinda hated her being some passive dummy to Rumple, but I can see exactly why.

This is a good season.

Sober fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 15, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

Uh yeah, blame Community. Yvette Nicole Brown was actually Ursula if you remembered from the finale last year (the ball that Hook and Emma went to when they got sent back in time). But she clearly has to be on Community because it got renewed so they recast her role.

Uhhh, she's not in Community this season.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Then what the gently caress, seriously?

e: oh she's staring in a new sitcom next year

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Apparently she also appeared on the DVD as Goldilocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRecBPVw_Gk

:shepface:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What did I just watch? Dr Whale was kind of funny though.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.

Captain Mog posted:

I would have loved to see Latrice Royale as Ursula. I don't even care if she can act or not.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

DapperDinosaur posted:

I would have loved to see Latrice Royale as Ursula. I don't even care if she can act or not.

Oh my GOD, yes. I would have lived for this. At the very least have a drag queen work on that costume design. They know about dramatics and that quasi-reflective stretch fabric that screams green stripper does NOT scream Ursula. She was based off the drag queen Divine. More can be done.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wholeheartedly agree with everybody saying Ursula isn't drag enough. I liked the actress just fine in that last scene with Rumple, but she really doesn't look right to me.

Was hoping Hook would die too, even though I actually enjoy the guy. The lesbian subtext between Emma and Regina has been cranked to 11 lately, what can I say?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just watched the last two episodes and was really, really pleased. And it was an interesting swap on the Snow Queen and Gold.

I've never really liked or felt anything for the Snow Queen but this episode with her flashbacks with Emma and her sacrifice really got to me. She's a tragic character and that was tragic story. When she was saying her goodbyes I actually got a little choked up.

On the flipside I love the Gold/Rumple character but I was so drat happy to see him get taken down and watch him whimpering and revert back to that sniveling worm he is when he loses control of things. And I loved Belle finally opening her eyes and taking a stand against Gold. That went a long way towards rehabilitating her with me. And it's good to be assured that Gold isn't going anywhere and he'll be right back to be his evil self.

Count me in as another who was underwhelmed by Ursula. And Cruela feels weird like a weird addition, like they ran out of Disney B Witches or something. I almost kind of wish they had just gone with Malificent as the sole team up with Gold. She seems like she should be able to stand alone on the same level as the Snow Queen and the Wicked Witch and neither of the other two really intrigue me or seem to add much. We've already had the Little Mermaid stuff and what can you pull from 101 Dalmations?

On the other hand...

Captain von Trapp posted:

Something that's been lacking a bit in Once recently is that sense of mystery and menace that magic carried in the first season or two. This episode really brought it back.

I had a similar thought. Part of the fun of the start of this show was the weird mingling of stories and trying to guess what twist or person they were going to pull out next. I've enjoyed the reason themed seasons but they took away some of that utter random mystery that was fun. Neverland, Oz, Frozen. They all kind of came a general outline of what to expect with a few random extras. The utter randomness of Malificent, Cruela, and Ursula teaming up is kind of fun in that old way and almost feels like "classic" Once Upon a Time.

So I'm willing to set aside my reservations and hope for a good "classic" season of waiting for the opening shadow to try and guess what story will be featured this week. I'm sure next season they'll grab a Wonderland theme or Star Wars or something.

And I love these Winter Finales. Especially with this show. Nice, condensed stories give it a lot more focus and I feel complete as we go into the long wait for new episodes. I'm enjoying watching all my Winter Finales these last two weeks as I gear up for the Holiday and watching all the classics and stuff with family.

And I'll finally get around to watching Frozen now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm hoping it turns out Cruella was just some witch back in the Enchanted forest, but that upon being banished to our magic-less world, she proceeded to live out the story of 101 Dalmatians. I guess that's a bit of a hard sell though, since we've already seen Pongo in Storybrooke.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was a dalmatian pup that lured Belle into the trap in the Enchanted Forest so Cruella must have something with dalmatians in the Enchanted Forest. And yeah, Pongo is in Storybrooke so presumably he's from the Enchanted Forest too. So I'm guessing they'll work up an Enchanted Forest version of 101 Dalmatians somehow.

Rumple said something like "the students haven't surpassed the teacher" so I took that as meaning that Malificent, Cruella, and Ursula have all been pupils of Rumple like Cora and Regina. So yeah, I'm assuming Cruella is turned into a sorceress here like Bo Peep. But that feels weird still unless they beef her up by tying her into other stories.

Which I hope they do. That's part of what made me really dig the show. The way Rumple is also "The Beast" and "The Crocodile" or how Regina is actually "Ursula" in the Little Mermaid. I dig that mingling of stories so I hope they beef up Cruella and Ursula by tying them into other roles. I don't know what they'd fit in but hopefully they have a plan.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Radish posted:

I'm hoping the Robin Hood stuff is over since that whole dynamic was skin crawling awkward for everyone. The woman going to the other one that killed her, resulting in her husband falling out of love with her to tell the murderer that she's free to steal her husband was really weird.

I didn't find it awkward, it was pretty standard love triangle. I actually found what Marion said to be very mature and pragmatic. Everyone had told her Regina has changed but more importantly Regina has proved it by saving her life twice. While it sucks, she recognizes that she's been long dead to Robin and that he's done his grieving. She wasn't saying it was okay to steal her husband, she was saying she has enough self respect to want to be with a man that wants to be with her for her, not one with her out of a sense of obligation. I really like that they gave her that instead of making her sappy and man dependent. They made her strong instead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That finale was better than the one last week, which even for this show felt a bit shmaltzy (even Elizabeth Mitchell had a hard time selling it). Really, looking back on it, this was sort of an awkward half-season because they couldn't quite figure what to do with the Frozen characters. Belle bringing Rumple lower than he's been since he became the Dark One was a great way to end the season, and the collection of villains for next season should give them plenty to work with. The Author plot is interesting, at least. I hope they do something with the Knave of Hearts, since they've added him to the cast. He's been funny drinking and moping around, I just think right now that Grumpy has a bigger role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

KilGrey posted:

I didn't find it awkward, it was pretty standard love triangle. I actually found what Marion said to be very mature and pragmatic. Everyone had told her Regina has changed but more importantly Regina has proved it by saving her life twice. While it sucks, she recognizes that she's been long dead to Robin and that he's done his grieving. She wasn't saying it was okay to steal her husband, she was saying she has enough self respect to want to be with a man that wants to be with her for her, not one with her out of a sense of obligation. I really like that they gave her that instead of making her sappy and man dependent. They made her strong instead.

It still feels off to me. From our perspective we've seen Regina change over the course of so many seasons, but from her's, Regina was slaughtering entire villages including children and leaving them in mass graves purely out of spite a week ago. To just be told, "oh yeah that person is good now" while your former husband has fallen in love with that person and then be totally cool with it comes off less emotionally mature and more emotionless to me. I'm fine with her not being man dependent (coming to terms with Robin having moved on after her death and moving on herself) but I still think the scene with Regina was weird. It's an insane show with fantastical elements so how people would react is pretty hard to guage though so it's open to personal interpretation.

• Locked thread