Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Folly posted:

On it. Wait, he did the last one in GBS? Was it all "lol dicks!" the whole time?

The hacker session is actually pretty good, from a technical perspective. But I don't think he's reaching his audience.

It was pretty much "lol dicks!" all the time. However it actually worked seeing as we were playing the god of madness, intoxication, and fornication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

I'm convinced that the way you big firm guys generate hours is by working so much that anything you do takes two to three times as much time due to fatigue.

I don't 100% disagree with this.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

mastershakeman posted:

I think that everyone who's saying they wouldn't trade a year of misery for 350k is already doing really well instead of just barely scraping by.

350k would pay off both my house and my student loans. I'd suck a year's worth of dicks for it.

Soothing Vapors posted:

So all I have to do is poison the poo poo out of my wife and I'm free of student loans? :getin:

edit: I feel like this post will be exhibit A used against me someday

Can you poison a computer-generated kawaii waifu?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Defleshed posted:

350k would pay off both my house and my student loans. I'd suck a year's worth of dicks for it.

Try 230 after taxes.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

CaptainScraps posted:

Try 230 after taxes.

Why you gotta be making GBS threads in my imaginary money bowl?

Now that I think about when we deploy we're literally GONE for 9 months to a year and every JAG I know works a shitload while deployed. We make basically the same salary + a few hundred extra a month for our remote chance of being shot or blown up. :(

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Defleshed posted:

Why you gotta be making GBS threads in my imaginary money bowl?

Now that I think about when we deploy we're literally GONE for 9 months to a year and every JAG I know works a shitload while deployed. We make basically the same salary + a few hundred extra a month for our remote chance of being shot or blown up. :(

My brother deployed as an s1 a few years ago. He banked enough to pay off his student loans. I'm forever jealous, because my loan payments are going from $24/month to 350.

WJ can you send me some gold bullion so I can buy my kid a Christmas gift?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey defleshed didn't you used to have the storm troopers eating dinner avatar?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Hey defleshed didn't you used to have the storm troopers eating dinner avatar?

No that was the foreign service guy.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Applying for state loan forgiveness program. Had to submit last few years worth of tax returns. Was rreminded how much soul crushing hell hole paid me. Cried a little. Then realized that when you consider it was 4 am to 9 pm most days, it wasn't one great paying job so much as two pretty goood paying jobs. gently caress that noise. Time for dragon age.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

ActusRhesus posted:

Applying for state loan forgiveness program. Had to submit last few years worth of tax returns. Was rreminded how much soul crushing hell hole paid me. Cried a little. Then realized that when you consider it was 4 am to 9 pm most days, it wasn't one great paying job so much as two pretty goood paying jobs. gently caress that noise. Time for dragon age.

Yeah greedy associate breaks wages at big firms down to your hourly rate and it makes it less lucrative. Not that I even had a shot.

On the happy side, deleting your firm email account from your phone feels freeing, even if it's only for a week before the new job.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

On the happy side, deleting your firm email account from your phone feels freeing, even if it's only for a week before the new job.

IT partner takes my phone, installs work email/calendar.

I take my phone back, immediately uninstall both and don't tell anybody.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I have to tell you, folks, I am so sick of my status conferences for pro se divorces.

I don't mind the paperwork so much. But the whole part where people are like "but no one ever told me I had to fill in the judgment of divorce! Why didn't anyone tell me that?" And then I cancel their divorce hearing and they yell at me. And then I get to say, "Okay, bring it all back in two weeks and we can do this again!"

Absolutely my least favorite part of the job.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Alaemon posted:

I have to tell you, folks, I am so sick of my status conferences for pro se divorces.

I don't mind the paperwork so much. But the whole part where people are like "but no one ever told me I had to fill in the judgment of divorce! Why didn't anyone tell me that?" And then I cancel their divorce hearing and they yell at me. And then I get to say, "Okay, bring it all back in two weeks and we can do this again!"

Absolutely my least favorite part of the job.

Pro Se is latin for, "I'm here because I have a hard-on for bad decision making."

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

blarzgh posted:

Pro Se is latin for, "I'm here because I have a hard-on for bad decision making."

I thought that's what Juris Doctor was Latin for.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Warszawa posted:

I thought that's what Juris Doctor was Latin for.

We have whiskey dick for bad decision making.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
My friend is a patent attorney who was working at 10 last night. He started yelling about the poo poo he was doing. So I asked him how he didn't have an ulcer.

Edit: And if you look really closely at his monitor, it's a picture of me on his gchat. Elotana, you know this guy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 7, 2014

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If I had been watching my fantasy lineup since clinching the playoffs, and put my starters back in, I would've scored 190 points today.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Judgment of the trial court affirmed.

*raises glass* To crushing spirits and killing dreams.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My wife looked at me today with disgust amd said "you're just another unemployed lawyer."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Discussion > Business, Finance, and Careers > Lawyer & Law School Megathread #13: My wife looked at me today with disgust

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That title would work for like 9/10 of the forums though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I have one professor that I've taken twice now. Each time I walk out of her final I have the overwhelming urge to scribble gently caress Scalia everywhere.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

My wife looked at me today with disgust amd said "you're just another unemployed lawyer."
This is why I don't miss my marriage.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have the overwhelming urge to scribble gently caress Scalia everywhere.

I thought this was a completely normal reaction?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I have one professor that I've taken twice now. Each time I walk out of her final I have the overwhelming urge to scribble gently caress Scalia everywhere.

Many of your peers are younger than my daughter.
When I took the LSAT the max was 48.
When I applied to law school the were no yearly USNWR law school wreckings.

Yet across the divide of years there remains one constant.

gently caress Scalia.
Or, from an old law school paper on the new un-hotness Oregon v. Smith, "He is a man of splendid abilities, but utterly corrupt. Like rotten mackerel by moonlight, he shines and stinks."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ersatz posted:

This is why I don't miss my marriage.

Im taking my week between jobs to apparently get norovirus and read books while she packs our house. But she's still right; I'm an unemployed lawyer.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Had a law school classmate in my jury panel today. That was friggin' weird.

He has a job, though, so I can't be too smug to him.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
My 1L summer I was interning around the local courts and part of my internship was with the local small claims court, where two classmates of mine were suing each other over a couch. The judge made them do arbitration with him in chambers, telling them that they didn't want to have to explain this poo poo to the bar.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

My 1L summer I was interning around the local courts and part of my internship was with the local small claims court, where two classmates of mine were suing each other over a couch. The judge made them do arbitration with him in chambers, telling them that they didn't want to have to explain this poo poo to the bar.

My 1L year I had to sue my landlord in small claims...the JTR was pretty cool. I started citing case law, to which he asked "are you a law student?" When I tried to non-answer he was all "yep. law student." Then turned it into a property law Socratic method exercises. then made my landlord give me back my drat deposit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phil Moscowitz posted:

That title would work for like 9/10 of the forums though.

Actually, it might encourage people. They've found women to date and even marry them. If I become a lawyer, will women touch me?
(No, it won't.)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

Actually, it might encourage people. They've found women to date and even marry them. If I become a lawyer, will women touch me?
(No, it won't.)

Yah I got married before law school, Wenger I had a lucrative career in retail manganese management.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

CaptainScraps posted:

Had a law school classmate in my jury panel today. That was friggin' weird.

He has a job, though, so I can't be too smug to him.

Wait they still let you be on juries after going to law school?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Wait they still let you be on juries after going to law school?

Yes. And now you want to be on a jury.

My boss was on a 6 week civil case. 6 week paid leave, essentially.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

nm posted:

Not here :(

British Columbia posted:

3 (1) A person is disqualified from serving as a juror who is
(j) a barrister or solicitor,

Alberta posted:

4 The following persons are excluded from serving as jurors:
(e) barristers and solicitors, whether or not they are practising, and students-at-law;

Saskatchewan posted:

6 The following persons are excluded from service as jurors:
(e) persons who are or who have been:
(ii) lawyers, whether or not in actual practice;

Manitoba posted:

3 Every person is disqualified from serving as a juror who is
(i) a member of the Law Society of Manitoba; or

Ontario posted:

3. (1) The following persons are ineligible to serve as jurors:
4. Every barrister and solicitor and every student-at-law.

Quebec posted:

4. The following persons are disqualified from serving as jurors:
(e) practising advocates or notaries;
(h) persons afflicted with a mental illness or deficiency;

New Brunswick posted:

3 The following persons are ineligible to serve as jurors:
(d)solicitors and other officers of the courts;

Nova Scotia posted:

4 The following people are disqualified from serving as a juror:
(c) a barrister and solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia and an articled clerk as defined by the Barristers and Solicitors Act;

Prince Edward Island posted:

5. The following persons are disqualified from serving as jurors:
(d) barristers, solicitors and attorneys, whether or not they are practising, and articled clerks;

Newfoundland posted:

5. A person is disqualified from serving as a juror who is
(f) a barrister or solicitor;

Yukon posted:

6 The following persons are exempt from service as jurors
(f) practising lawyers;
(l) telegraph, telephone, and radio operators;
(q) persons actually engaged in the operation of (i) railway trains and steamships,

Northwest Territories posted:

6. The following persons are exempt from service as jurors:
(e) practising barristers and solicitors;

Nunavut posted:

6. The following persons are exempt from service as jurors:
(e) practising barristers and solicitors;

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 9, 2014

Gleri
Mar 10, 2009
That was needlessly comprehensive. Did you already have a text document with those quotes ready to go or what?

It is weird to hear that lawyers could be jurors. I would love to sit back and watch a long trial.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Can be, but likely won't be unless by the time you've been called in both sides have burned through all their challenges.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ActusRhesus posted:

Can be, but likely won't be unless by the time you've been called in both sides have burned through all their challenges.

Except in DC, where there are so many lawyers in the jury pool people often don't bother to challenge them since they are likely to get a lawyerin the jury anyway.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nm posted:

In Florida your employer does not have to pay you your normal salary/income if you're on a jury.

I've heard from lawyers who've been forced to just take the 25 dollars a day or whatever the court pays the jurors and nothing else.

Of course Florida has like 33% unemployment for lawyers so you'll take that and thank your employer for not finding some reason to fire and replace you.

Folly
May 26, 2010
My torts professor was on the jury for a tort case while teaching my class. She missed a few days for it.

She said that the jury had a question about one of the terms in the instructions, so they and asked her. So in true professor form, she asked each member of the jury what they thought the definition would be. After she collected all of their opinions, she told them they had to ask the judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Folly posted:

My torts professor was on the jury for a tort case while teaching my class. She missed a few days for it.

She said that the jury had a question about one of the terms in the instructions, so they and asked her. So in true professor form, she asked each member of the jury what they thought the definition would be. After she collected all of their opinions, she told them they had to ask the judge.

that's awesome.