Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So I've never heard of Strife (or rather, I've never really looked into what it was), and it seems pretty cool! I checked out the wikipedia page for it, and saw this as the last line:

"Strife was ported to the Commodore Amiga in 2013."

:stare: That's dedication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So I've never heard of Strife (or rather, I've never really looked into what it was), and it seems pretty cool!

It's basically Deus Ex's long lost ancestor, right down to having a slightly wonky first mission where the best thing you're armed with is a largely ineffectual bowgun.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 8, 2014

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Honestly, I'm skipping the Steam/GOG seasonal sales because I know the moment Strife will finally appear, I won't play anything else. It's been 17 years since I played the shareware version, and always wanted to see the full thing. Just skimming the Doom Wikia articles shows that a lot of effort went into this game.

Also, someone offered me yesterday a complete copy of Necrodome for sale, and I'm close to being broke :saddowns:

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

laserghost posted:

Honestly, I'm skipping the Steam/GOG seasonal sales because I know the moment Strife will finally appear, I won't play anything else. It's been 17 years since I played the shareware version, and always wanted to see the full thing. Just skimming the Doom Wikia articles shows that a lot of effort went into this game.

Yeah, I've been ignoring the sales as well. I already have all the games I'm interested in, and way too many that I don't play. Don't really need to waste more money on stuff I'm never going to get around to playing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

laserghost posted:

Also, someone offered me yesterday a complete copy of Necrodome for sale, and I'm close to being broke :saddowns:
Oh man. If you remember the shareware version, you're in for a fun surprise in the full version. The mission from the demo will irreversibly break the game, the town will fill with guards and you won't be able to do quests. You can get around it by killing the guards in the tavern silently, or doing the quest late enough it doesn't matter.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Yeah, I know that. Some years ago, I've attempted to play Strife (downloaded from The Underdogs, because that site knew which games were good), and in my total bliss (helped by the fact DOSBox at the time wasn't a thing and I barely knew about Vavoom or other sourceports), I went the same path as the in the demo, and to my surprise, it didn't gone well. On another playtrough, I went to the Governor with the chalice, with similar result :suicide: Also the fact that I was running the game in WinXP skeletal DOS support didn't help, because that way there were only sound effects, without voice prompts from Blackbird and other NPCs.

Oh Strife, you're such a wonderful rear end in a top hat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dominic White posted:

It's basically Deus Ex's long lost ancestor, right down to having a slightly wonky first mission where the best thing you're armed with is a largely ineffectual bowgun.

Doomeus Ex.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It wasn't a very good game but I guess it was interesting to see what they were trying to squeeze out of the Doom engine. It's been abandonware for so long that I don't really get the celebration of a re-release, though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Well it's a re-release that's also bringing it to the same level of supported as actual Doom. Strife is currently entirely black box reverse engineered, and there's some issues.

It also looks like they're adding more stuff, like the picture of team modes and a smaller hud just up a few posts.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So they're gonna do an actual source port?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Here it is blown up:

Considering the Strife source code is long lost, the re-release is going to be sort of a reimplementation from scratch, built off an existing Doom source port.

It also appears that they're expanding it quite a bit with new multiplayer stuff, and some sort of new graphical engine / mode that includes fancy new lighting.

It's funny because the original image is 320x200 so it's meant to make you think it's just "normal" Strife, but when you look closely at the image, you can tell it was almost certainly resampled down from a higher resolution (look at the antialiasing on level geometry edges) and probably in widescreen, since graphics appear to be in the correct aspect ratio, instead of being vertically squashed like vanilla-Doom-engine stuff looks in screenshots.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 8, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Well that sounds even better.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Linguica posted:

Here it is blown up:

Considering the Strife source code is long lost, the re-release is going to be sort of a reimplementation from scratch, built off an existing Doom source port.

Almost certainly a variant of the Doom64 EX engine, given that the devs site is currently full of heavily blurred Strife screenshots with 'Got an announcement for later this year' above them. Which is pretty cool, actually - expect cleaner menus and better gamepad support than GZDoom at the very least.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

Well it's a re-release that's also bringing it to the same level of supported as actual Doom. Strife is currently entirely black box reverse engineered, and there's some issues.

Linguica posted:

Not just black-box, Quasar and Kaiser did full disassembly mapping of it. Quasar said that after Chocolate Strife, one couldn't say anymore that Strife's source code was lost.

The disassembly effort even looked a bit outside of game logic, so there's been some progress in understanding DMX. Notably, they found out that there are functions unused in Doom to handle a different sound format (Doom uses "format 0" for speaker beeps and boops and "format 3" for digitized sounds, they discovered DMX has another function that handles "format 1" and "format 2".)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Alain Post posted:

It wasn't a very good game but I guess it was interesting to see what they were trying to squeeze out of the Doom engine. It's been abandonware for so long that I don't really get the celebration of a re-release, though.

I'm with you too. I played a bit of it a few years ago and the difficulty gets really hard midway into the game. Felt like it needed a lot more balance and tweaking. IMHO Heretic and Hexen are more fun, albeit less complex, games using the Doom engine.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hey, Quake Mapjam 5 is all about floating castles! I love esoteric themes like that.

...granted, there are only three entries, but still.

In unrelated news, got back into playing Powerslave. Still a fun game, although the first map I had to progress through had an annoying jump sequence where failing it basically meant either doing a tricky rocket jump up to a platform (well, grenade-that-explodes-on-contact-with-floor jumping, anyway) or standing in a lava pit waiting for death's release to restart the stage. Naturally, being a console FPS, no mid-level quicksaving. At least the jump was early in the stage, and the rest of the stage was relatively sane - and the jumping sequences in the stages thereafter (eg: Magma Fields) weren't too bad.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Linguica posted:

I want to know if they fixed the grenade launcher so that the second grenade doesn't bounce off the ceiling and into your face so much.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Abandonware isn't a real thing, that's why. This is the first time you'll be able to buy a legal copy of the game since it came out in 1996, and it means that hopefully people will be able to play it that would otherwise have never heard of it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Which issues remain between the reverse-engineered Strife port and the original code?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

:toot: someone already broke the Doom 2 speedrun record again :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCmWs6tbK9o

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bouchacha posted:

Which issues remain between the reverse-engineered Strife port and the original code?

Most of them. Quasar maintains a list of Strife engine bugs here; you can expect to find them in ChocoStrife as well unless they cause severe stability problems (like this one or that one).

There's also some explanation and trivia about the reverse-engineering process and reconstructed code.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Linguica posted:

The scary thing is how instantly recognisable almost all of the maps are, even at that speed…

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Linguica posted:

Do we know for sure that this is still true of the re-release?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Do we know for sure that this is still true of the re-release?
I suppose we can't truly be sure if anything, but my impression is that even if the source code magically reappeared, it wouldn't even be all that much of a help at this point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fair enough, I thought it might have been officially announced somewhere and I'd missed it, no biggie.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Linguica posted:

He did actually get the new record though. I missed the stream but I heard it's down to something like 22:45 now which is just drat fast.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

RyokoTK posted:

He did actually get the new record though. I missed the stream but I heard it's down to something like 22:45 now which is just drat fast.
I know, that video really is of the new record played back at warp speed.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Linguica posted:

I know, that video really is of the new record played back at warp speed.

I figured that it was, which is why I brought it up. :) My post was more of a clarification of yours than a correction.

I couldn't find a watchable version on Youtube though.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

RyokoTK posted:

I figured that it was, which is why I brought it up. :) My post was more of a clarification of yours than a correction.

I couldn't find a watchable version on Youtube though.
The demo file itself is in a Doomworld thread. I felt like it was rude to make a "real" video recording of it if the author isn't happy with it / doesn't want to release one himself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Linguica posted:

The demo file itself is in a Doomworld thread. I felt like it was rude to make a "real" video recording of it if the author isn't happy with it / doesn't want to release one himself.

But he posted the demo?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

But he posted the demo?
No, someone said it was "floating around" and someone else posted a link to it. I mean, it's out in the wild at this point so the guy clearly felt comfortable sending it to at least one person, but I don't know the whole story.

e: nm I guess he doesn't mind that much since he posted the link on his twitch http://www.twitch.tv/looperkele

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I beat Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith! :toot: I had never beaten JK as a kid and never got to play MotS at all, so it was nice to finally change that. Both had their ups and downs, but I would say that the level design of the last level in MotS is really cool, even if the enemies are complete loving bullshit on hard difficulty. Also felt like an idiot that I couldn't figure out the solution to the final battle and had to look it up.

Not sure if I'm gonna try to get Dark Forces to run again (I know it's supposed to really easy since steam launches it through dosbox but it just doesn't get along with my computer) or just move on to Jedi Outcast.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Geight posted:

I beat Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith! :toot: I had never beaten JK as a kid and never got to play MotS at all, so it was nice to finally change that. Both had their ups and downs, but I would say that the level design of the last level in MotS is really cool, even if the enemies are complete loving bullshit on hard difficulty. Also felt like an idiot that I couldn't figure out the solution to the final battle and had to look it up.

Not sure if I'm gonna try to get Dark Forces to run again (I know it's supposed to really easy since steam launches it through dosbox but it just doesn't get along with my computer) or just move on to Jedi Outcast.

I really liked the level design in MotS. Katrasii Space Port is one of my favourite maps next to Nar Shaddaa and Baron's Hed.

Last I checked XL Engine for Dark Forces works pretty well. It's definitely worth the play through, even if just for its doomy roots.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

DarkXL seems to immediately crash when I launch it. I've got the right filepath specified, so I dunno!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You could just try replacing the dosbox.exe in the dark forces steam directory with a version you know works. DarkXL isn't a great idea though, since last I heard it has some issues with a few missions.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

You could just try replacing the dosbox.exe in the dark forces steam directory with a version you know works. DarkXL isn't a great idea though, since last I heard it has some issues with a few missions.

I don't know which version of dosbox would help, or if it's even a dosbox problem! To clarify, I can run Dark Forces through the steam-provided dosbox, but when the actual gameplay starts my screen's covered in awful green and blue blobs but the game is still running just fine. I'll try slapping the newest version of dosbox in that folder and see what happens.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That's strange, maybe go find dosbox.conf and add
code:
[SDL]
output=opengl
You can also try surface, or overlay, though surface is probably what's causing that issue.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Using the newest version of Dosbox seems to have done the trick actually! Thanks a ton. :hfive:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jehde posted:

Katrasii Space Port is one of my favourite maps next to Nar Shaddaa

Having not yet beaten Outcast, my only response to this is :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Having not yet beaten Outcast, my only response to this is :argh:

Add Outcast to my list of games I own on GOG, I played the demo as a kid and I still want to play/beat :smith: