Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The most ridiculous part has to be this:

quote:

A kid means to go "pssstt..." like he is whispering and it sounds like he says "pi*s"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought about doing a thread using those reviews about a year ago when I found that review. Though I think I decided not to because it'd probably be too 'lol christian' and I couldn't find a review funnier than that one.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

While the review itself is only a paragraph long, I'm pretty fond of the Kill Bill Vol. 2 review, if only because of the bolded part.

quote:

Like its predecessor, Kill Bill Vol. 2 is extremely violent. The carnage is less severe than in Vol. 1, with more talking and less killing, but that does not diminish the sick and sadistic nature of the film. Apart from extreme and sadistic violence, Vol. 2 also contains some objectionable language, illicit drug use and Buddhist influences, all of which push it far into negative acceptability territory. Dove advises that your family avoid this film.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Ha ha ha. Christians (Xtians) are so dumb!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ariza posted:

Clearly not, because the Vatican have a very good list of recommended films and there's another Christian movie reviews website that's actually good.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ariza posted:

Which is why I didn't make the thread b*tch

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The MSJ posted:

Clearly not, because the Vatican have a very good list of recommended films and there's another Christian movie reviews website that's actually good.

According to the Vatican, The Blues Brothers is considered a wholesome christian film.

I mean, there's nothing blasphemous about it, provided you're not an up-tight 1950's preacher. A 1950's preacher whose fighting them Rock and Roll.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're on a mission from God.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So they showed another gay couple on Clarence. Jeff's mom is a butch dyke lesbian who is with a flowery nature hippie ginger woman. How about them apples.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Shitenshi posted:

So they showed another gay couple on Clarence. Jeff's mom is a butch dyke lesbian who is with a flowery nature hippie ginger woman. How about them apples.

No one really cares anymore because it's not anything special, because tv has been contantly going "hey look gays, how a bout those gays" for at least 8 years now.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lesbian biker gang episode of cow and chicken

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

TOILETLORD posted:

No one really cares anymore because it's not anything special, because tv has been contantly going "hey look gays, how a bout those gays" for at least 8 years now.

Not in children's television. I think I even read a quote somewhere about some show (Adventure Time?) that they weren't allowed to do it because it would actually be illegal in some of the countries the show airs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

It was probably Adventure Time, what with the whole Bubblegum/Marceline debacle.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

It was probably Adventure Time, what with the whole Bubblegum/Marceline debacle.

I figured that was just the typical internet nutballs believing all tv characters are loving each other, especially same sex couplings. Autistic teens and their burgeoning sexuality and all that. I don't see adventure time being popular in Uganda or Russia, so that's weird.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ariza posted:

I figured that was just the typical internet nutballs believing all tv characters are loving each other, especially same sex couplings. Autistic teens and their burgeoning sexuality and all that. I don't see adventure time being popular in Uganda or Russia, so that's weird.

While there are certainly lots of people who have an interest in wheter or not these particular cartoon women were loving or not, a voice actress actually confirmed that Bubblegum and Marceline were in a relationship at one point in the past. People had been assuming that something like that was the case for a while before that; the show certainly hinted that they had interacted in the past, but it never outright stated that it was anything more then a standard-issue friendship gone sour.

I have no idea what Uganda and Russia have to do with what you just said.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 5, 2014

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

paradoxGentleman posted:

Those are countries where it would be illegal. But actually Australia censors episodes all the time so it probably isn't an issue.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Probably important to repost this:

http://adventuretime.wikia.com/wiki/Censorship_of_Adventure_Time_on_Cartoon_Network_Australia

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

TOILETLORD posted:

Yeah, but the thing is, now they're not doing "hey, look at all these gays", they're just having people be in cartoons or other kids' shows, who are shown with a same-sex partner. And that, my friend, is great.

paradoxGentleman posted:

While there are certainly lots of people who have an interest in wheter or not these particular cartoon women were loving or not, a voice actress actually confirmed that Bubblegum and Marceline were in a relationship at one point in the past. People had been assuming that something like that was the case for a while before that; the show certainly hinted that they had interacted in the past, but it never outright stated that it was anything more then a standard-issue friendship gone sour.

If I'm right, that statement just came from a kinda fan-fictiony (albeit, very good) writer for AT. That was never a statement was made officially by the heads of the show. Of course, you'd have to be in denial to not see that it's obvious Marcy and PB are ex's.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I watched a bit of Slugterra and I'm surprised someone remembers Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath to make a cartoon inspired by it. The art style is kinda like Borderlands too.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

TOILETLORD posted:

The Gravity Falls team also showed some storyboards from The Love God, and in the original storyboards the Love God had two women fall in love, but in the actual episode that's not the case. I imagine Disney made them change it.

Live action may be doing that on a regular basis, but not animated kids shows

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

El Tortuga posted:

Yeah, but the thing is, now they're not doing "hey, look at all these gays", they're just having people be in cartoons or other kids' shows, who are shown with a same-sex partner. And that, my friend, is great.

Mission Hill, 1999 :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mission Hill wasn't a kid's show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

axleblaze posted:

Mission Hill wasn't a kid's show.

But it was a cartoon.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

raditts posted:

But it was a cartoon.

So is South Park, but no one is putting Big Gay Al next to the same-sex partners in Clarence.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

This past Friday, I had another sub job at the same elementary school for the same library position. Students were piling in a half-hour before classes began, and they quickly began clamoring for something to watch on the smartboard that's set up in that room. There's some Scooby Doo DVDs, which I visibly went "ugh" to, at which point the kids of their own accord began asking for Over The Garden Wall, and I had that flash drive handy, so they were able to watch an episode and a half before the first bell rang.

They were absolutely rapt. They loved it. I'm gonna make sure I always have a copy when I'm working an elementary school job from here on out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

This past Friday, I had another sub job at the same elementary school for the same library position. Students were piling in a half-hour before classes began, and they quickly began clamoring for something to watch on the smartboard that's set up in that room. There's some Scooby Doo DVDs, which I visibly went "ugh" to, at which point the kids of their own accord began asking for Over The Garden Wall, and I had that flash drive handy, so they were able to watch an episode and a half before the first bell rang.

They were absolutely rapt. They loved it. I'm gonna make sure I always have a copy when I'm working an elementary school job from here on out.

This information fills my heart with joy. Thank you for sharing it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm enjoying Sonic Boom by accepting that it's really The Eggman Show, with Sonic and his squad being a bunch of boobs who co-star. It isn't destroying my 90s childhood because there already was a poorly budgeted Sonic cartoon that aimed for comedy and wasn't too successful, and unlike a lot of douchebags who only watched the serious fantasy Sonic on ABC, I'm kind of used to this sort of thing.

This show is actually way more successful at comedy, mostly because they're willing to make the longtime mascots often look like idiots (Knuckles is basically Steve Carrell's role in Anchorman at this point, even yelling about how he's yelling). Also, they wisely write for 15 minute stories and not 30 because goodness these thin plots couldn't support that.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Shitenshi posted:

I saw this the other day and it made me all warm and happy inside. They were there, it was obvious what they were, and no one gave a poo poo.

Wonderful.

I've been saying it for a while now but I think we're on the verge of getting an openly gay main character in a kids cartoon (someone as important as Jeff or PB). A gay protagonist can't be too far off either. The will by the creators is clearly there. They just need enough younger people in positions of authority to make it happen.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Craptacular! posted:

I'm enjoying Sonic Boom by accepting that it's really The Eggman Show, with Sonic and his squad being a bunch of boobs who co-star. It isn't destroying my 90s childhood because there already was a poorly budgeted Sonic cartoon that aimed for comedy and wasn't too successful, and unlike a lot of douchebags who only watched the serious fantasy Sonic on ABC, I'm kind of used to this sort of thing.

This show is actually way more successful at comedy, mostly because they're willing to make the longtime mascots often look like idiots (Knuckles is basically Steve Carrell's role in Anchorman at this point, even yelling about how he's yelling). Also, they wisely write for 15 minute stories and not 30 because goodness these thin plots couldn't support that.

I wasn't really feeling it, but episode 8 really convinced me. Evil cookies made out of mustache hair is so ridiculous it becomes delightful. Knuckles is amazing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Knuckles really does make the show. Ditch all the other characters.

"Actually, I'm an evil mastermind of average intelligence"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

I'm enjoying Sonic Boom by accepting that it's really The Eggman Show, with Sonic and his squad being a bunch of boobs who co-star. It isn't destroying my 90s childhood because there already was a poorly budgeted Sonic cartoon that aimed for comedy and wasn't too successful.
Standard Sonic show procedure, really.

Hell, even SatAM lives on Jim Cummings' work.

I thought Adventures was plenty successful.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Knuckles really does make the show. Ditch all the other characters.

"Actually, I'm an evil mastermind of average intelligence"

Keep Knuckles and Eggman, have Sonic so they both have someone to bounce on and the show becomes perfect.

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
Sonic Boom is amazing. I watched an episode that had Dr. Eggman giving some random guy an unpaid internship and then the guy got revenge for how lovely his internship was. I was like, this is the best plot ever. I was especially sold on the show when Tails used his brilliant new invention to unclog a toilet. I think I laughed more at this show than I do at actual comedies.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDoWhMt2_gs

Star vs the Forces of Evil looks freaking amazing

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get the feeling that Robotnik in Sonic Boom spends most of his time curing cancer and attacking sonic is just a hobby from that one time Sonic was mean to him in college.

It's a stupid cartoon, but it kinda knows that it's a stupid cartoon, which makes it okay.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDoWhMt2_gs

Star vs the Forces of Evil looks freaking amazing

Looks like every other Disney Channel cartoon in the last 10 years. The female creator is a good thing though.

I guess there's nothing wrong with that though, I don't want to sound overly critical

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 12, 2014

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I don't know man. If you told me that was on Cartoon Network, I'd go, "Yeah. That totally makes sense."

It has a Steven Universe kind of feel to it, just a lot more manic?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I get vibes of Disney Channel's trademark tween 'comedy' from it. The boy band intro song doesn't help things. Maybe I'm just paranoid though. I'm not a huge fan of Phineas and Ferb, Kim Possible, or Wander over Yonder, and it feels like those

I mean I am not in the target audience but I don't see what an adult would get out of a show like that, as opposed to Cartoon Network shows. Gravity Falls is excellent but doesn't feel to me much like those other shows

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 12, 2014

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
The intro song is done by Brad Breeck, who does the music for Gravity Falls. The creator (Daron Nefcy) is another CalArts alum, so I'm expecting something of Gravity Falls caliber at least in art and humor.

Here's a TV Guide blurb with more info and the ending theme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So begins the season of awful Christmas movies