Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Viggen posted:

Yesterday was probably the hardest day for me in the last couple years. I had typed it all out here, but decided I didn't need to post it publicly. I still feel a little better. :unsmith:

Some times just typing out your thoughts then closing the window can really be helpful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Some times just typing out your thoughts then closing the window can really be helpful too.

Absolutely. I still have a couple letters I wrote to my ex wife while we were getting divorced, at the time I was filled with immense rage and despair but now I can read them and feel almost nothing at all. The best side effect was that by saying it to myself it kept me from stirring poo poo up with her that would only have led to more financial problems for me, in terms of antagonizing her vs being amicable.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

LloydDobler posted:

Absolutely. I still have a couple letters I wrote to my ex wife while we were getting divorced, at the time I was filled with immense rage and despair but now I can read them and feel almost nothing at all. The best side effect was that by saying it to myself it kept me from stirring poo poo up with her that would only have led to more financial problems for me, in terms of antagonizing her vs being amicable.

Yup, I've got several pages of thoughts and poo poo I typed up over a year long period while getting over an ex. poo poo helps immensely to just get it out of your head.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
http://richmond.craigslist.org/hvo/4794774063.html

:stare:

I've been trying to keep to a budget but I really really really want this for my cabinets

Holy god it weighs 65 lbs.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

Yeah so Sin City: a Dame to Kill For wasnt the best choice to watch last night given my current situatuon :v:

I watched Smokey and the Bandit yesterday (and bought a Trans Am in GT6 and modded it enough to beat GT40s as my Snapchat buddies saw). Reliving my goddamn youth. Still one of my top movies.

I watched Judge Dredd on Saturday. :v:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

some texas redneck posted:

IIRC, the Motorcraft is actually a rebranded Holley, is it not?

Some may be but a Scout II should have a Holley 2210 or 2300 (1973 only, maybe) if it's a two barrel, the four barrel unit was the fantastic plastic thermoquad.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

I watched Judge Dredd on Saturday. :v:
If you must, but I hope you watched the 2012 Dredd movie afterwards.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

If you must, but I hope you watched the 2012 Dredd movie afterwards.

Actually I watched that (for the first time) on Friday.

I like Judge Dredd. But then again, Demolition Man is one of my all-time favorite movies, so my tastes are probably suspect anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CornHolio posted:

Actually I watched that (for the first time) on Friday.

I like Judge Dredd. But then again, Demolition Man is one of my all-time favorite movies, so my tastes are probably suspect anyway.
Demolition Man is a great movie, though.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Demolition Man is a great movie, though.

drat right it is.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

My neighbor's house is about 15 years old. The previous owner stopped paying her mortgage in 2010 and she was dating a bankruptcy lawyer and he must have given her excellent advice, because it took until last year to get her out.

In 2010 there was a wind storm that ripped off a couple strips of siding on the West side of the house, showing the non-covered MDF underneath. It has been like that for years. In 2011 she had someone screw down the surrounding pieces of the siding so no more would rip off. During that "repair," the person up there hit the MDF with a hammer and it was so soft that it put two holes in the side. Birds moved into the house through those holes.

This year it came up for sale at a very reduced price from the bank. I took a look inside, but the holes in the MDF had allowed so much water into the structure that the upstairs bathroom wall was soaked and the kitchen below had water stains behind the cabinets. I factored a stripping of the wall in to my price to buy the house for a flip/rent, but it sold for more than I was willing to risk.

The new owner moved in in June and she just got the siding problem "fixed" today -- by taking siding from another part of the house and putting it where the missing pieces were. No MDF repair, nothing at all. So there won't be any more water getting in there, but the water that's in there won't get out, either...

Am I crazy for thinking that MDF exposed to the elements for nearly 5 years is going to be absolutely trashed and a breeding ground for mold and rot?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that MDF exposed to the elements for nearly 5 years is going to be absolutely trashed and a breeding ground for mold and rot?

Raze it and start over. gently caress mold and rot.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah, it's basically houserust.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That sounds terrible. I feel sorry for now owner of this place, its going to be a nightmare.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That sounds terrible. I feel sorry for now owner of this place, its going to be a nightmare.

Yup. My spouse and I just moved out of a house that had us consistently sick for the time we lived there. After we signed the lease the neighbors informed us what had been living there before.

Sure it had a 3 car garage, but apparently the city dump had less things growing in it. and the slumlord agency just basically retiled/painted over everything to make it look new.

Always talk to the neighbors before signing a lease. :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Well gently caress. Found out at work today that our little backup well has finally hit its limit. Pumping water 24 hours a day now and it's no longer filling the tank, merely holding the water level steady. Working on getting the National Guard to bring in a filtration system so we can hook the main well up to and try to filter out the muddy water it started pumping a few months ago so we can hopefully get it hooked back into the system and not run things completely dry, otherwise the town's going without water indefinitely.

Where's that gently caress 2014 .gif?

vvv Thanks :v:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 8, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Well gently caress. Found out at work today that our little backup well has finally hit its limit. Pumping water 24 hours a day now and it's no longer filling the tank, merely holding the water level steady. Working on getting the National Guard to bring in a filtration system so we can hook the main well up to and try to filter out the muddy water it started pumping a few months ago so we can hopefully get it hooked back into the system and not run things completely dry, otherwise the town's going without water indefinitely.

Where's that gently caress 2014 .gif?

On my imgur, of course.

Also, so far, today has sucked balls.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 8, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

meatpimp posted:

My neighbor's house is about 15 years old. The previous owner stopped paying her mortgage in 2010 and she was dating a bankruptcy lawyer and he must have given her excellent advice, because it took until last year to get her out.

In 2010 there was a wind storm that ripped off a couple strips of siding on the West side of the house, showing the non-covered MDF underneath. It has been like that for years. In 2011 she had someone screw down the surrounding pieces of the siding so no more would rip off. During that "repair," the person up there hit the MDF with a hammer and it was so soft that it put two holes in the side. Birds moved into the house through those holes.

This year it came up for sale at a very reduced price from the bank. I took a look inside, but the holes in the MDF had allowed so much water into the structure that the upstairs bathroom wall was soaked and the kitchen below had water stains behind the cabinets. I factored a stripping of the wall in to my price to buy the house for a flip/rent, but it sold for more than I was willing to risk.

The new owner moved in in June and she just got the siding problem "fixed" today -- by taking siding from another part of the house and putting it where the missing pieces were. No MDF repair, nothing at all. So there won't be any more water getting in there, but the water that's in there won't get out, either...

It's probably OSB not MDF, but I call OSB, MDF, and particle board "fallaparticle board" for a reason. gently caress that poo poo with a vengeance, only CDX and pressure treated plywood for me. ZIP system is pretty cool stuff too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

cursedshitbox posted:

That wasn't too far from my thoughts. I think the only way to fix that would be to strip the siding and mdf, take out all the insulation and drywall, inspect the studs, then insulate and reskin...

The woman that moved into it wasn't very concerned when I told her that it had been exposed for that long and I told her it needed some work... I don't know where the moral obligation line is to tell her that she's really loving herself long-term with that repair... somewhere between "tell her now" and "none of my business."

I was hoping that a flipper would buy it. Since the bank sold it, they didn't have a legal obligation to disclose, even though there was water in the basement on that side/corner of the house. If it was a flipper, I would have been able to force them to add it to a disclosure statement. :sigh:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Geirskogul posted:

Also, so far, today has sucked balls.

Well that sucks. Happy birthday man, hopefully things take a turn for the better so you can enjoy the day.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

My sister-in-law's neighbor's house is worse, I think. There used to be a nice couple that lived there and ran a nursery. Then something happened, and everybody moved out. It's been vacant for a few years. Siding's coming off, the fence collapsed, and last time I was over there, the roof had partially caved in. I looked inside, and every appliance is gone - oven, fridge, even the countertops.

It was on the market before, but I don't think there's any salvaging it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If the roof collapsed without any help, it failed over a decade ago and has been leaking since and rotting the place out. Ask me how I know. That house is a bulldozer property at this point unless someone very dumb or very dedicated buys it.

I recommend waiting till the tax auction, buying it, bulldozing it, and putting up a giant garage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I just not int he mood for anyone poo poo at work today. Full Cat Terrist Axe Murderer alert is in place.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Google Now is some next-level poo poo.

Fair enough, it knows my home and work adresses and pops up navigation cards for my commute at the relevant times. It also shows stocks and weather and that sort of thing, which is expected.

But it also pops up a card telling me the approximate location of my parked car, based on using the accelerometer and GPS to tell when I've been driving and when I stop and get out. And now it's started popping up a navigation card for the route to my local gym around 17:30 on mondays, wednesdays and fridays, since it's figured out that I go there on that approximate schedule.

Big Data knows all kinds of poo poo about you, man :tinfoil:

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yes, but the convenience factor is that since it knows I get home around 5:20, of it's warning me to "leave now to get home on time!" at 3:30, I can call my wife and meet her at a local craft beer bar. If I'm not getting home until 7, I may as well enjoy it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Mine loves giving me notifications telling me traffic to my local watering hole at right around the same time my nerves go to poo poo and everything sucks.

Thanks, Google.. :smith:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

These are all fantastic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg-b8skNNY0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru6wri23Ljk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4UEifGF8DU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxY8x0JOwWY

I remember my first american sweet :911:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Someone mentioned the Bosch automotive handbook in a thread here a week ago so I bought a used copy for about 10bux. Pretty cool book.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. At first I was like "what the hell", but that subsided quickly and now I think it's totally awesome.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

I laughed at all of these.
Thanks have some cattes

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We binged black mirror a few weeks back and were left wanting more. There's a special on in a week or so, I'm looking forward to that.

I put a small bunch of stuff on eBay today, not even scratching what needs to go but it's a start. We must have 250kg of kids clothes and poo poo that needs to go, most of which we got free :ninja:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

Yup. My spouse and I just moved out of a house that had us consistently sick for the time we lived there. After we signed the lease the neighbors informed us what had been living there before.

Sure it had a 3 car garage, but apparently the city dump had less things growing in it. and the slumlord agency just basically retiled/painted over everything to make it look new.

Always talk to the neighbors before signing a lease. :v:

Same loving thing happened to us. That house is currently condemned.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Watching the Eat Me Alive special or w/e from last night on Discovery. These guys ars morons!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

Finally decided to fix my rear window on the 9-5. gently caress I hate rivets. Replacing all of those I can reach with bolts, like God and country intended. :patriot:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My 21 year old cat back home, Joey, was put down today. He didn't go without a fight. He's been in ailing health for almost 5 years, and I'm pretty sure was keeping himself alive out of spite and anger for all living things. He was hit by a car in front of our house, broke his back, and dragged himself home with his front legs. My parents elected to have him put down because of the age and extent of his injuries.

Knowing Joey, he chose the car. He probably stared it down like Don Qihote, and said this is the day. This is by my choosing I end my life and not let myself go quietly into the long night. And not even the car was able to kill that savage.

Rest in peace, battler of squirrels, raccoons, possums, and dogs. May you continue your path of rampage in the next world. I hope you sit in th halls of Cathalla awaiting the final battle a the end of time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

My 21 year old cat back home, Joey, was put down today. He didn't go without a fight. He's been in ailing health for almost 5 years, and I'm pretty sure was keeping himself alive out of spite and anger for all living things. He was hit by a car in front of our house, broke his back, and dragged himself home with his front legs. My parents elected to have him put down because of the age and extent of his injuries.

Knowing Joey, he chose the car. He probably stared it down like Don Qihote, and said this is the day. This is by my choosing I end my life and not let myself go quietly into the long night. And not even the car was able to kill that savage.

Rest in peace, battler of squirrels, raccoons, possums, and dogs. May you continue your path of rampage in the next world. I hope you sit in th halls of Cathalla awaiting the final battle a the end of time.

It's 1500, I've had a beer (which means I'm drunk - my alcohol tolerance has steadily declined over the past five years), I'm playing Cookie Clicker, and I just read something badass. gently caress you It's my birthday I can do what I want.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I do not know how to feel about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tusen Takk posted:

These are all fantastic:
[video type="youtube"]tg-\b8skNNY0[/ideo]
[video type="youtube"]ru6ri23Ljk[/vido]
[video type="youtube"]s4UEfGF8DU[/vide]
[video type="youtube"]yxY8xJOwWY[/video

I remember my first american sweet :911:

These were loving great, thanks.

When my best friend and I moved into the lovely single-wide trailer that we rented in college, the previous tenants had left only one thing: A partially eaten tub of Vegemite in the fridge. The first night there we were bored as hell and tired from moving all day, and dared each-other to try a small bite. It was honestly the most vile thing I have ever tasted in my life, and I've accidentally bitten down on a stink bug before. How in the hell do you guys eat that stuff?

We left it in the fridge for the entire time we lived there and when we moved out it was the only thing left in the fridge...waiting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

I do not know how to feel about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62E4FJTwSuc
I've come to the conclusion that 2015 is the year when I alternate between hurling money at a cinema screen, sobbing uncontrollably, and writing abusive posts about studios online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

These were loving great, thanks.

When my best friend and I moved into the lovely single-wide trailer that we rented in college, the previous tenants had left only one thing: A partially eaten tub of Vegemite in the fridge. The first night there we were bored as hell and tired from moving all day, and dared each-other to try a small bite. It was honestly the most vile thing I have ever tasted in my life, and I've accidentally bitten down on a stink bug before. How in the hell do you guys eat that stuff?

We left it in the fridge for the entire time we lived there and when we moved out it was the only thing left in the fridge...waiting.

It's really good on toast, but it's kind of like getting used to beer or whiskey. It's an... acquired taste I guess.

• Locked thread