Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Seashells trigger me. Am I doomed in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Accretionist posted:

Haha, I hope that's just a rationalization for giving people time off to protest or something

Professors know the idiot sheltered kids have been out trying to make a difference by spreading awareness instead of loving studying. And while the right thing to do would be to say gently caress em' and let them redo a semester, that means a poo poo ton of extra work for professors as well as makes the school look bad in the statistics. Which in turn gets the administration on the professors rear end.

And since it's Coloumbia chances are it's enough students that they really can't be bothered handling all that poo poo. So it's easier to come up with some obvious bs reason to give them more time so not too many of the dumb fucks flunk the course.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Did kids get out of finals at a widespread level during Vietnam?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Casimir Radon posted:

Four did in Oh-Hi-Oh

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

priznat posted:

Four did in Oh-Hi-Oh
:laugh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

About as widespread as this, I'm sure.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The revelation that the world is a grossly unfair place run by evil motherfuckers is pretty depressing, but I don't think that I ever took a day off because of it.

Unless you count hangovers, because I've taken a couple of hangover days off.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Can I seriously get out of class by declaring existential despair?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

priznat posted:

Four did in Oh-Hi-Oh

All of the students were bussed home that day, they weren't even allowed to go their dorm room which were all searched.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Casimir Radon posted:

Can I seriously get out of class by declaring existential despair?

At Columbia, sure.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I am upset that other people are upset about things completely unrelated to them and which have no bearing on their lives!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Spicy Guacamole posted:

I am upset that other people are upset about things completely unrelated to them and which have no bearing on their lives!

~*fartz*~

===D~~~

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Hey, they're Columbia law students. What better extra curricular activity to have on your CV when you try to get into the ACLU?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Courthouse posted:

Hey, they're Columbia law students. What better extra curricular activity to have on your CV when you try to get into the ACLU?

Holding a 72 hour sit-in hunger strike for gender-neutral bathrooms.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

Holding a 72 hour sit-in hunger strike for gender-neutral bathrooms.
I'm sure even the folks at the ACLU will tell 'em to poo poo or get off the pot.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Columbia law students will probably be making more than all of us when it is said and done.

How much is being a dumbass worth though...

Makes u think

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013
So apparently they are dropping the big congressional report on CIA clandestine activities during the WoT.

And I don't know how to tell you guys this... but apparently they've been torturing some folks. :ohdear:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It's Columbia. We like to protest stuff v:shobon:v

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm sure they were bad people.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Courthouse posted:

So apparently they are dropping the big congressional report on CIA clandestine activities during the WoT.

And I don't know how to tell you guys this... but apparently they've been torturing some folks. :ohdear:

GOOD

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

gently caress the CIA though

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Deathy McDeath posted:

It's Columbia. We like to protest stuff v:shobon:v

Berkley literally has a statue dedicated to protestors to honor their town's heritage or some poo poo.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Everybody loves news about the F-35, right?

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-f-35-cant-run-on-warm-gas-from-a-fuel-truck-that-sa-1668120726

Jalopnik posted:

The F-35 program continues to work through a litany of problems, but this one is almost laughable. According to the USAF, the troubled fighter cannot use gas from standard green colored USAF fuel trucks if it has been sitting in the sun. Considering that these jets will most likely find themselves operating in the desert or in somewhere in the scorching Pacific, this is a big problem.

Sadly, the answer for the F-35's fuel finicky conundrum, one of many heat related issues with the jets since their testing began, is being addressed outside of the F-35 aircraft itself, in the form of repainting standard USAF fuel trucks with bright white solar reflective paint.

Clearly it is not tactical in any way to be driving a giant white potential fuel-bomb around a battle zone. This is especially true considering that the F-35B variant is supposed to operate 'forward' from austere fields. Still, the solar reflective paint job, that costs around four grand for each truck, seems to be less expensive than fixing the issue on the jet itself, as there is no word of that happening.

Senior Airman Jacob Hartman, of the 56th Logistics Readiness Squadron (LRS), a fuels distribution operator at Luke AFB, describes the situation:

"We painted the refuelers white to reduce the temperature of fuel being delivered to the F-35 Lightning II joint strike fighter... The F-35 has a fuel temperature threshold and may not function properly if the fuel temperature is too high, so after collaborating with other bases and receiving waiver approval from (the Air Education Training Command), we painted the tanks white."

Chief Master Sgt. Ralph Resch, the 56th LRS fuels manager added:

"We are taking proactive measures to mitigate any possible aircraft shutdowns due to high fuel temperatures in the future. It ensures the F-35 is able to meet its sortie requirements... This is the short-term goal to cool the fuel for the F-35; however, the long-term fix is to have parking shades for the refuelers."

Luke AFB is not the first base to run into this issue, with Edwards AFB discovering the problem and initiating the fuel truck repaint solution some time ago. The USAF has some hope that the reflective paint process can be applied to a similar green color as the standard issue refueling trucks used by the USAF. A test will soon occur with a white truck and a green truck, with both being painted with a special solar reflective coating, to see if the green truck plus the reflective coating will keep the F-35's life-force cool enough under the sun for the jet not to have to shut down immediately after start-up due to heating issues.

What is most telling about this strange story is that the USAF thinks a long-term solution to the F-35's warm fuel problem is to park their fuel trucks under purpose-built shade structures. Yet isn't fixing the aircraft's low fuel temperature 'threshold' issue itself more of an honest, robust and logical solution? Like so many things F-35, maybe the operating margins are just too thin for an affordable aircraft-based fix to be plausible.

The F-35 channels its strong thermal loads, accumulated by the powerful avionics and sub-systems on-board, as well as the engine, into its fuel. So really, the fuel works as a giant heat sink. If the fuel is already warm upon start-up, there is less capacity to exchange the heat from their aircraft's simmering systems. Therefore the jet must shut down or risk overheating. A clever design that most likely lightens up the jet and leaves extra room for weapons and fuel, but one that may have very little room for adaptation.

The simple fact that the F-35 is one finicky eater even after many years of development and costly design changes, along with the reality that bright white fuel trucks may become standard issue on F-35 flightlines, are just more sorry reminders of how this supposedly super-capable fighter will come with a long list of limitations and operational caveats, along with its one and a half trillion dollar bill.

For more fun reading, here's the word from the horse's mouth.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Ten years from now, somebody is going to make Pentagon Wars 2. If the F-35 is even done by then.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The F-35 is literally the worst acquisition program, right? The tanker acquisition got hosed but seems small potatoes in comparison. There's that Army personnel program that had billions dumped into it for nothing but that still doesn't seem as big of a waste or at least as prominent.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Holy gently caress, I worked on Force XXI at Fort Hood in the early 1990's (please don't kill me, your gear isn't MY fault) and it wasn't this goddamn stupid.

Scrap that piece of poo poo and start over.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So the F-35 won't drink from colored fuel trucks?

Racist.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm sure somebody thought the heatsink thing was a really awesome idea at some point.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The F-35 is literally the worst acquisition program, right? The tanker acquisition got hosed but seems small potatoes in comparison. There's that Army personnel program that had billions dumped into it for nothing but that still doesn't seem as big of a waste or at least as prominent.

It is pretty prominent, but man have there been some great flops. Remember the AAAV/EFV? That thing was on the drawing board for 35 years before it was cancelled.
And how much have we spent on Star Wars ballistic missile defense with loving orbital lasers and poo poo?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Courthouse posted:

How big of a deal do you think this is? I mean dont most people who pay attention to foreign policy and current events poo poo already know about the bpacl sites, guantanoma, having our allies perform more aggressive interrogations for us and all that kind of poo poo?

I recently started reading the Way of the Knife which was a little pulpy, but the author made it a point to show how explicitly between '01-'04 some of the older hands at the CIA who had been through Iran Contra, the latin adventures and the failure of Eagle Claw were pretty adamant about having policy makers sign off on everything. So I wonder if any heads will roll, its been quite a while though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure somebody thought the heatsink thing was a really awesome idea at some point.

A decision like that reeks more of desperation. Wonder how they factored that into logistics/availability calculations or if they just assumed somebody would modify the fuel tanks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Even if a lot of this stuff was already assumed the bad guys will still attempt to get some riots stated, otherwise it's a missed opportunity.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

A decision like that reeks more of desperation. Wonder how they factored that into logistics/availability calculations or if they just assumed somebody would modify the fuel tanks.
I don't know much about avionics but it seems like checking how warm fuel got sitting in a tank versus the tolerance of the engines would have been prudent. There really ought to be a career path out there that involves giving common sense advice to engineers to keep them from loving up.

I'm sure somebody wants to make fun of the guy who had the tanks painted white but he wasn't involved with designing, manufacturing, or acquiring the planes. He's probably just a regular dude who wants to get colonels and generals off his back for something that's not his fault.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I mentioned this in the AI aviation thread, but fuel temo and jet engines has long been an issue for hot weather operations.
The F-35 likely has limitations that place fuel temp below what usually occurs. AWACS crews have canceled flight because of fuel being too hot.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Oh poo poo yo', Uncle SKAM is taking out the truth tellers! http://hiphopenquirer.com/another-witness-michael-brown-shooting-death-found-murdered-ferguson/
He was MURDERED, also there's no conclusive evidence he was murdered. And as Ferguson produced such an upstanding young top shotta like Michael Brown no way these kids were involved in anything hosed up their families didn't know about

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
Heat dissipation is one of the major hurdles of some modern technology.

But using the FUEL as a loving heat-sink just makes me envision the goddamn Challenger. I mean, I'm not an engineer or anything like that, but holy poo poo.

I mean, from the get-go everything I've read on the F-35 just seems insane.

Why don't they just put wings on one of the Old Sergeant Yorks and call it good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

I mentioned this in the AI aviation thread, but fuel temo and jet engines has long been an issue for hot weather operations.
The F-35 likely has limitations that place fuel temp below what usually occurs. AWACS crews have canceled flight because of fuel being too hot.
Well there you go. It's not like this was some completely unforeseen issue that jumped out of the bushes and raped their plane.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Casimir Radon posted:

Well there you go. It's not like this was some completely unforeseen issue that jumped out of the bushes and raped their plane.

Yea, I dunno why the F-35 program is just now getting to this issue. I also completely doubt we're getting the full story either. It's likely that they've never had to operate the jets in an extremely hot environment where this would be encountered. It's an issue, but a rare one. Guys can go their whole careers with never having to deal with fuel being too hot. I only know of it from anecdotes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress everything and everyone lets watch Pentagon Wars and feel good about watching a good movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0rcHWN1n10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

priznat posted:

Four did in Oh-Hi-Oh

deffo read this in neil young voice and chortled, well played

• Locked thread