Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
I like tumblr because I'm able to build up a readership of new people from many different backgrounds who can help me consider how to be more inclusive because otherwise I wouldn't have thought to consider it. :shobon: I think having and encouraging a diverse readership helps you expand as a creator and get better feedback on how to improve your writing and art. Plus its a good way to promote/meet other creators. Tumblr is ok as a way of building readership and making friends.

As a way of spreading information tumblr might actually be the worst means of delivery of all time.

e: that said, tumblr's most recent trend of chasing off artists and creators based on false/outright fake information is horrendous and part of the problem with the way the website is designed to spread info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Kismet posted:

Tumblr does seem to have collected a lot of weird migrants from livejournal. Not that this has ANYTHING TO DO with webcomics any more.

A lot of fandom people got upset with LJ for various reasons. A bunch ended up on Dreamwidth, but some portion of the especially crazy ones didn't like how that site was run by the former head of the LJ abuse team and, at the time, Tumblr was the closest big name available technologically. It's not a perfect fit, but it had better tools than, say, Facebook or Twitter. And the image- and video-sharing aspects work well for some subsets of fandom, so there you go. (LJ was the site I used to be affiliated with. If you think people do batshit crazy stuff around here or even on Tumblr, you have no loving idea.)

How it relates to webcomics, though, is that these fans, some of whom are less sane than others, have pretty much a direct line to the people creating the content they enjoy, and that's shifted the way everything works. It's one thing to get pissed off at J.K. Rowling and write a rant about her for the entertainment of your friends. It's quite another to write such a rant with the expectation that the original author will actually read it, and maybe even change their works as a result. It feels empowering, which is a good thing, but it can also create a false expectation that people MUST make changes based on this sort of feedback from their audience, and here we all are.

I don't think anybody has said here that you should just ignore everyone who might be hurt by something you write. But, yes, there really is a middle ground. On the one pole, you have people who feel that their Perfect Artistic Vision should never be compromised by actually caring about the people who might experience it or what they might be saying to those people, and on the other pole you have people thinking they need to put up trigger warnings for popcorn. The first group can't produce anything you'd want to read, and the second can't produce anything at all.

So if you want to be a creator, you're going to have to draw a line somewhere in the savage and untamed wasteland in between those two points and stand on it. All the discussion really amounts to is: where should that line be? Shockingly, some people tend to favor more listening and some less. I think we're all still feeling our way on this one. But what doesn't help is when one group of people, whatever group that might be, acts as if the answer is self-evident.

This is where the circlejerks come in... and is actually why I sometimes say things in this thread like "hey, I like Questionable Content", to keep it from being a total circlejerk. Because once you've talked to a few people in your immediate group about the way Things Should Be, if nobody disagrees, it becomes obvious to everyone in that group, whether they participated in the discussion or not, that that IS how it should be. And that sucks. Pretending that art is simple with binary values and easily estimated measures of quality is dumb bullshit. But human brains seem to be wired in such a way that we'll follow the herd if it's going somewhere, and that's a really easy place for it to go.

Which brings us back to Tumblr: as has been pointed out, Tumblr is technologically set up in such a way as to spontaneously form uniformly-thinking subcommunities and allow them to communicate rapidly with each other with very little interference from the outside. (Lots of places work like that, of course.) I agree that taking one of those communities and using "tumblr" as a shorthand for it is silly, but there's a particular set of identities that have, for better or worse, become the public face of Tumblr's community; the transdogs, if you will, and the folks who use "problematic" like a swear word. Those people are, for better or worse, a force in the artistic community and particularly in the hyper-connected webcomic community that has to be dealt with in some way, whether it involves appeasing, conversing with, or ignoring them.

Now, that community doesn't ONLY exist on Tumblr, it's just one of the places that's currently the standard-bearer. And the thing that troubles me most about them, as has been said, is that sometimes their behavior can mask the people with real problems. It's easy to sweep the concept of caring about minorities in your story into the same dustbin that you want to put the concept of freaking out because a character used the word virgin as an insult into. But they don't belong together; that kind of overreaction isn't typical of the readership, and there are people out there who are genuinely offering useful feedback that gets lost in all the shouting. You can't just shut people up, though, and you can't stop listening to feedback entirely unless you're some kind of huge douche, so it ends up being another ongoing burden to sort it all and figure out what's useful and what isn't. This is why people quit Tumblr and Twitter; because sometimes it's easier to just give up on it entirely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Except that Something Awful is a forum based on a comedy website. Tumblr is a 'micro-blogging' service. Acting like that defines its community is a bit disingenuous given that it's as diverse as blogspot or wordpress. If you're only seeing those annoying 'SJW'-style tumblrites that is probably more indicative of what circles you have linking you to Tumblr than of the site at large.

Or in other words: are you sure you aren't just falling for a confirmation bias?
I'll agree that people who define themselves as being part of a 'tumblr community' aren't representative of the average user of tumblr. Still, there is a group of people using tumblr who consider themselves to be part of a 'tumblr community', who have their own injokes, memes, et cetera. I'm not sure what else you'd call 'the group of people on tumblr who consider themselves to be members of a community based around tumblr'. And, while Dashcon didn't go over well, I still haven't heard about anyone even trying to make a 'livejournal-con' or 'reddit-con' or 'blogspot-con', or even a 'deviantart-con'.

I could have just missed those, though. I did hear something about a disastrous SA meetup quite a while ago, but that's not exactly the same thing, and I don't know any of the details.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Just Offscreen posted:

God I love holiday themed comics.

I am the scrooge of webcomics then :colbert:

As soon as october rolls around and I have to deal with two months of awful music and awful decorations everywhere I become irritable with everything about the season.

I don't even like nog. Basically I'm the reason there is a "gently caress you if you don't like Christmas"

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Eldercain posted:

I am the scrooge of webcomics then :colbert:

As soon as october rolls around and I have to deal with two months of awful music and awful decorations everywhere I become irritable with everything about the season.

Oh yes well all the trimmings of the season a month and a half out grate on me as well- I do my best to ignore it until I can enjoy it properly.

Holiday comics always come out close enough to the actual holiday that it's always welcome- you don't see a Christmas story coming out in August.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Just Offscreen posted:

Oh yes well all the trimmings of the season a month and a half out grate on me as well- I do my best to ignore it until I can enjoy it properly.

Holiday comics always come out close enough to the actual holiday that it's always welcome- you don't see a Christmas story coming out in August.

I might actually like a christmas story coming out in august, though. Better to have a few skittles when you wouldn't expect them than to have skittles for every meal for months after all :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mafiosa posted:

I like tumblr because I'm able to build up a readership of new people from many different backgrounds who can help me consider how to be more inclusive because otherwise I wouldn't have thought to consider it. :shobon: I think having and encouraging a diverse readership helps you expand as a creator and get better feedback on how to improve your writing and art. Plus its a good way to promote/meet other creators. Tumblr is ok as a way of building readership and making friends.

That said, Tumblr--as a format--feels awful for soliciting real feedback. The system of "likes" and textless reblogs feels impersonal compared to written comments. (And it was only recently I discovered XKit's ability to show you the hashtags people apply to your reblogged art so I could see some sort-of comments I had missed before.) For some reason, written comments seem to be discouraged by the Tumblr's setup and in some cases culture--there was a big post going around a while back about how it's "rude" to include comments (??). When I get a "+Like", it doesn't give me that much information, and unless I go sleuthing (which is weird in and of itself) I won't know the background of the person who approved of it, much less what it was that inspired them to lend a thumbs-up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

That said, Tumblr--as a format--feels awful for soliciting real feedback. The system of "likes" and textless reblogs feels impersonal compared to written comments.

loving seriously. Sometimes I actually like to read the comments on comics I like, just to see what people are saying about it and to see how many views it's getting or to offer criticism, but if the comic is primarily hosted on Tumblr well then NOPE, looks like I get to stare at a page worth of how many people are reblogging it.

Eldercain posted:

I don't even like nog. Basically I'm the reason there is a "gently caress you if you don't like Christmas"

Man gently caress eggnog. I love Christmas but seriously who invented eggnog and thought it was a good idea?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Just Offscreen posted:

What about that Halloween story that started in September?

Three years ago :ghost:

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

TwoPair posted:

loving seriously. Sometimes I actually like to read the comments on comics I like, just to see what people are saying about it and to see how many views it's getting or to offer criticism, but if the comic is primarily hosted on Tumblr well then NOPE, looks like I get to stare at a page worth of how many people are reblogging it.

Is there any benefit at all to tumblr's setup of listing all the likes reblogs and comments in the same monolithic block? 'cause count me in as someone completely bewildered by that design choice.

Eggnog is loving delicious though, all you haters need to get out. :colbert:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

TwoPair posted:

Man gently caress eggnog. I love Christmas but seriously who invented eggnog and thought it was a good idea?

A drunk looking for a way to make his boozing socially acceptable at Christmas parties.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Renaissance Robot posted:

What about that Halloween story that started in September?

Three years ago :ghost:

Well when did that arc end? If it starts or ends near the designated holiday then it counts. :colbert:

I just made all this up. :kamina:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Moddington posted:

Is there any benefit at all to tumblr's setup of listing all the likes reblogs and comments in the same monolithic block? 'cause count me in as someone completely bewildered by that design choice.
Not that I can think of. It would be better if they seperated reblogs and likes into their own categories, and maybe have a way to filter out reblogs that are a forum equivalent of an empty quote. But than you might as well implement a formal comment system so :v:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Man gently caress eggnog.

so whats it like being literally worse then hitler?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brought To You By posted:

Not that I can think of. It would be better if they seperated reblogs and likes into their own categories, and maybe have a way to filter out reblogs that are a forum equivalent of an empty quote. But than you might as well implement a formal comment system so :v:

There is one, but I still haven't figured out what triggers posts to be comment-able, some are and some are not. :confused:

If you set it as an "Ask" then everyone can reply, but an "Ask" is only triggered when a post ends with a question mark. I don't loving know.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

You can comment on posts that a person makes, but the original poster needs to manually enable comments, and said comments can only be enabled for people they're following/people who have been following them for 2+ weeks. There's no blanket "anyone can comment" option. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

TwoPair posted:

Thanksgiving is worse, normally I'm not a picky eater but half the poo poo of a traditional dinner I won't touch. Who the gently caress thought creamed green beans were a good idea?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Reminder that Tumblr's messages don't go through if they end in an ellipses unless it has a trailing space. I guess Radium got a new job.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The lesson here is that Tumblr is a horribly formatted and programmed site and that is the biggest crime.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

I don't drink eggnog but I think it's hilarious what they call it in Quebec French. "Lait de poulet". Chicken milk.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Nuns with Guns posted:

The lesson here is that Tumblr is a horribly formatted and programmed site and that is the biggest crime.

It's like a mutant version of TVTropes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tumblr is a really great site and suits my naked butt feed collating needs.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The trick to liking eggnog is adding whiskey.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The trick to liking webcomics is adding whiskey.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
they trick to enjoy whiskey is to have already been drinking whiskey

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

thatbastardken posted:

they trick to enjoy whiskey is to have already been drinking whiskey

Ain't no problems with that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My big problem with Dreaming of Utopia is why is that one red fox guy such an rear end in a top hat.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

My big problem with Dreaming of Utopia is that people keep loving reading it

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's hilarious.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Peoples reactions to it are hilarious.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
My breasts emerge.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
If any of you want to get your horror on, Awful Hospital has a pretty freaky sequence! It seems to be from a rapidly sickening baby's point of view, though what that exactly means as the pages progress becomes more and more nebulous. There are a few mouseover image swaps too.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

RoboCicero posted:

If any of you want to get your horror on, Awful Hospital has a pretty freaky sequence! It seems to be from a rapidly sickening baby's point of view, though what that exactly means as the pages progress becomes more and more nebulous. There are a few mouseover image swaps too.

The only thing freaky is that people legitimately read this.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

Afraid of Audio posted:

The only thing freaky is that people legitimately read this.

How are you always such a beacon of joy?

In other news, Boulet put up his advent calender pictures, if you are into that.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

jesus christ

How can Boulet be just one guy? Now I know why I can't draw, he got it all.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

RoboCicero posted:

Somebody in the comments on the site noted that the otherworldly stuff only started appearing after the baby got the injection from the distinctly not-awful hospital. I guess vaccines really are bad for you! :v:

Edit: It's also interesting looking at the file names for each of the panels, especially page 184-"The Parliament"

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 10, 2014

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Rei_ posted:

My big problem with Dreaming of Utopia is that people keep loving reading it

Is there not a GBS style webcomic thread anywhere in the forums anymore? Furtaugh has been ridiculously epic in this new arc and I wanted to talk about it.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
The GBS thread is in BYOB now.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Meme Emulator posted:

Is there not a GBS style webcomic thread anywhere in the forums anymore? Furtaugh has been ridiculously epic in this new arc and I wanted to talk about it.
Other thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Eagerly awaiting the other webcomic thread's eventual move to debate and discussion.

• Locked thread