Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Space Whale posted:

As I said to twodot, do you read twitter? I've seen people apologize and get it far worse. On principle reconciliation is something I'd prefer, but if it comes down to "a little more poo poo now and less later, or more over time," I'd rather get it over with.

I don't read twitter but I have participated in local activist groups IRL and nobody ever took me aside and was like "You know Jim over there? He said 'gook' five years ago, gently caress that guy!"

Maybe you should take a deep breath, push yourself away from the computer, and go meet some folks outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

I'm busy doing the Lord's work.
Someone with some wealth privilege should really give you the above as big red text because it's one of the most nakedly narcissistic things I've ever seen anyone post.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Space Whale posted:

As I said to twodot, do you read twitter? I've seen people apologize and get it far worse. On principle reconciliation is something I'd prefer, but if it comes down to "a little more poo poo now and less later, or more over time," I'd rather get it over with.

You really don't owe anyone an apology for writing the word gook and this entire dumb derail because someone used a word that isn't approved of is basically what the article in the OP was on about in the first place. There is no :ironicat: big enough to encompass this thread.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

OK, but what do I have to go by, the thing that matters and people know about, or the sole exception in my experience? What would you go by, experience or "well, maybe this time...?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
He doesn't owe anyone anything. He's clearly an idiot or trolling.

goatse.cx posted:

Exaggerated but people really haven't raised any convincing defense of privilege theory so far itt.

Why does it need defending?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Xibanya posted:

I don't read twitter but I have participated in local activist groups IRL and nobody ever took me aside and was like "You know Jim over there? He said 'gook' five years ago, gently caress that guy!"

Maybe you should take a deep breath, push yourself away from the computer, and go meet some folks outside.

If I didn't live in the deep south I'd do that like a year ago bub.

wateroverfire posted:

You really don't owe anyone an apology for writing the word gook and this entire dumb derail because someone used a word that isn't approved of is basically what the article in the OP was on about in the first place. There is no :ironicat: big enough to encompass this thread.

AND THE WINNER GOES TO WATEROVERFIRE!!!!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Someone with some wealth privilege should really give you the above as big red text because it's one of the most nakedly narcissistic things I've ever seen anyone post.

Want to set up a round robin so we can take turns?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

I'm sorry to any Koreans who are offended.

If you're hunting for poo poo to tell people to apologize to you over for the sake of hunting for poo poo to get self righteous over, you can go gently caress yourself.

You really seem to be hunting for something to feed your persecution complex so this could be a match made in heaven.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

Why does it need defending?

Because some people might not just take things as revealed truth ?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

You really seem to be hunting for something to feed your persecution complex so this could be a match made in heaven.

As long as Sedan Chair is with me to dress up like a windmill and tilt on my while I tilt on him dressed like a windmill I'll never have to worry about passing the time.

Also our horses are ATVs with windmill rims.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I should double down on it just to make you further taken aback.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Space Whale posted:

If I didn't live in the deep south I'd do that like a year ago bub.

I live in Texas, champ.

When I was at one of the save texas schools rallies awhile back I met people who had come in from all over the state, even dumb little towns that you wouldn't suspect would have any kind of activist presence. Look and you will find.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

OK, but what do I have to go by, the thing that matters and people know about, or the sole exception in my experience? What would you go by, experience or "well, maybe this time...?"

I'm not sure which is which because Twitter doesn't matter in the slightest and I doubt it's your sole experience of online communities so maybe you should just go with the adult thing of "admitting I hosed up because I hosed up".

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I'm not sure which is which because Twitter doesn't matter in the slightest and I doubt it's your sole experience of online communities so maybe you should just go with the adult thing of "admitting I hosed up because I hosed up".

Or maybe you shouldn't be such a prissy bitch about language you don't approve of? I mean, there are lots of options here.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

goatse.cx posted:

Exaggerated but people really haven't raised any convincing defense of privilege theory so far itt.

Well the concept of privilege is fairly sound as a description of the invisible societal/insitutional racism and how it affects people of different background in different ways, but it doesn't offer a lot of explanation or solutions in and of itself and falls short of being a theory because of that.

Where people go really wrong with it is using it to try explain the concepts to people who deny the existence or extent of bigotry. You can't talk about privilege meaningfully to someone who doesn't already accept the concept, and that's the flaw. You'll be more effective by simply talking about bigotry and how it exists.

Of course, most of the time folks arguing against privilege theory are people who deny the existence of institutional bigotry. So while there's definitely major problems from a sociology standpoint with privilege, it's almost never what is actually being argued.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Well, yeah. I also wasted years in offsite LFs before and after SA got sick of their poo poo and killed that subforum. Which is why I'm so sick of the bullshit now.

Funny how that works out isn't it?

Again, the "mistake" being "this could offend Koreans" is one thing. Acting like I need to kowtow to people who look for poo poo to point and fuss over who aren't even the possible target of a "hurtful word" is kinda bs though. I certainly don't owe them any apologies.

Now, if I triggered a war crime victim? I would actually regret that.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

wateroverfire posted:

Or maybe you shouldn't be such a prissy bitch about language you don't approve of? I mean, there are lots of options here.

Prissy is problematic because it's a gendered insult.

Bitch is problematic because it's a gendered insult.

Also bad is problematic because a long long time ago in the iron age something something it meant sissy pedo???

We don't say "bad" anymore. lol.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Space Whale posted:

Well, yeah. I also wasted years in offsite LFs before and after SA got sick of their poo poo and killed that subforum. Which is why I'm so sick of the bullshit now.

Funny how that works out isn't it?

Again, the "mistake" being "this could offend Koreans" is one thing. Acting like I need to kowtow to people who look for poo poo to point and fuss over who aren't even the possible target of a "hurtful word" is kinda bs though. I certainly don't owe them any apologies.

Now, if I triggered a war crime victim? I would actually regret that.

gently caress them you won't do what they tell you.

:rock:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Bro you are terrified of people criticizing you online.

You lack, wait for it now, strength of character.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wateroverfire posted:

"Why won't you just let me say gook, friend of the family, spic, and wop without calling me racist?!"-:qq:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Space Whale posted:

Prissy is problematic because it's a gendered insult.

Bitch is problematic because it's a gendered insult.

Also bad is problematic because a long long time ago in the iron age something something it meant sissy pedo???

We don't say "bad" anymore. lol.

I apologize to anyone who decided to be offended and I hope one day they will sack up so we can all be friends.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
First they came for the slurs and I did nothing...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Space Whale posted:

You know, I'm pretty sure they actually prefer you doing this. Just admit you were wrong and give them blue balls. Then maybe we can get back to my post (going off another ignored post) about the amoral nature of privilege theory, and whether it might serve as a way to make white people "race conscious".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Who What Now posted:

"Why won't you just let me say gook, friend of the family, spic, and wop without calling me racist?!"-:qq:

Stop feeding the 'Leftists persecute me' troll. He thinks the 'friend of the family' is only offensive if a black person hears it. There's no fixing him.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SedanChair posted:

I should double down on it just to make you further taken aback.
There's only so far aback one man can be taken before he snaps.

That's the tagline to the movie I'm making about this thread. Original idea, do not steal.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

gently caress them you won't do what they tell you.

:rock:

Yo, think about this for a second. Step away from your side and think critically. I know you can.

Do I really owe forum warriors apologies and contrition because of some tone deafness with my "buncha dumbfucks" being a little too colorful?

Does bad word saying really matter that much, or is it just a power play in specific contexts to get a little bit of power and influence over others with that self righteousness?

Remember when growing up someone would go "Don't take the lord's name in vain!" or "don't use cuss/curse words!" What exactly is this except "do as I say and I'll make you"?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You know, I'm pretty sure they actually prefer you doing this. Just admit you were wrong and give them blue balls. Then maybe we can get back to my post (going off another ignored post) about the amoral nature of privilege theory, and whether it might serve as a way to make white people "race conscious".

I already did apologize to any offended Koreans. I should not have said it. I know now that I shouldn't have said it.

I still don't like SedanChair though.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Space Whale posted:

Acting like I need to kowtow to people who look for poo poo to point and fuss over who aren't even the possible target of a "hurtful word" is kinda bs though.

Did someone say this? All you need to do is stop defending it. If someone brings it up again, just say "yes, I already said that was hosed up and I regret it," and leave it at that.

I agreed with a lot of what you said earlier in this thread, but you really don't want to stop digging.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Space Whale posted:

Yo, think about this for a second. Step away from your side and think critically. I know you can.

Do I really owe forum warriors apologies and contrition because of some tone deafness with my "buncha dumbfucks" being a little too colorful?

Does bad word saying really matter that much, or is it just a power play in specific contexts to get a little bit of power and influence over others with that self righteousness?

Remember when growing up someone would go "Don't take the lord's name in vain!" or "don't use cuss/curse words!" What exactly is this except "do as I say and I'll make you"?

You don't owe anybody on a forum anything and I'll be there first to agree to that, but when you find yourself saying "I don't need to apologize for saying racist slurs"you're being the rear end in a top hat, and people are going to call out.

Nobody needs you to apologize, they're making GBS threads on you because you're being stupid, and apparently racist.

Disclaimer: I didn't read all your posts because you're just filling pages at this point.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

Stop feeding the 'Leftists persecute me' troll. He thinks the 'friend of the family' is only offensive if a black person hears it. There's no fixing him.

So, about that point I was trying to make that people are more motivated to hunt for poo poo to go witch hunting about and draw oh so many conclusions based on someone's willingness to "apologize" to people enforcing the do not say word list?

You're literally calling me a lost cause, lost to the isms, for have all of the ists, and I am sure to become a Republican even? Because I don't feel like I owe apologies to forum warriors? Nobody here is even Korean.

You're literally saying I'm equal to Rush Limbaugh because I'm sick of the "Drop everything and be Really Sorry™ game?"

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

hepatizon posted:

Did someone say this? All you need to do is stop defending it. If someone brings it up again, just say "yes, I already said that was hosed up and I regret it," and leave it at that.

I agreed with a lot of what you said earlier in this thread, but you really don't want to stop digging.

I'm not defending the g-word, I'm criticizing the concept that I owe a drat thing to people hunting for slips to point out and attack people over.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

You don't owe anybody on a forum anything and I'll be there first to agree to that, but when you find yourself saying "I don't need to apologize for saying racist slurs"you're being the rear end in a top hat, and people are going to call out.

Nobody needs you to apologize, they're making GBS threads on you because you're being stupid, and apparently racist.

Disclaimer: I didn't read all your posts because you're just filling pages at this point.

Well shucks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Space Whale posted:

I already did apologize to any offended Koreans. I should not have said it. I know now that I shouldn't have said it.
I was speaking more generally.

Space Whale posted:

I still don't like SedanChair though.
No one expects you to.

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Zeitgueist posted:

Well the concept of privilege is fairly sound as a description of the invisible societal/insitutional racism and how it affects people of different background in different ways, but it doesn't offer a lot of explanation or solutions in and of itself and falls short of being a theory because of that.

Where people go really wrong with it is using it to try explain the concepts to people who deny the existence or extent of bigotry. You can't talk about privilege meaningfully to someone who doesn't already accept the concept, and that's the flaw. You'll be more effective by simply talking about bigotry and how it exists.

Of course, most of the time folks arguing against privilege theory are people who deny the existence of institutional bigotry. So while there's definitely major problems from a sociology standpoint with privilege, it's almost never what is actually being argued.

Agreed on most points. Though I'd like to point out some of the most vociferous critics of privilege theory are marxists/hard left.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was speaking more generally.

Why should I play along with "you slipped up, ooooohhhhhhhhhh, better be sorry!" people? I really don't like busybodies and the time wasting inquisitions they start are something I want to make a point of illustrating and pushing back against!

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Space Whale posted:

So, about that point I was trying to make that people are more motivated to hunt for poo poo to go witch hunting about and draw oh so many conclusions based on someone's willingness to "apologize" to people enforcing the do not say word list?

You're literally calling me a lost cause, lost to the isms, for have all of the ists, and I am sure to become a Republican even? Because I don't feel like I owe apologies to forum warriors? Nobody here is even Korean.

It's not that you feel you don't owe anyone apologies, it's that you don't think you acted like a dick. If you think slurs are cool and not stupid and lovely, hey, you're a dick.

Nobody is going to agree with with your "I play by nobodies rules, language police" crap because it's silly drivel that means you either are actively racist or so insulated from it you don't give a gently caress if you say racist poo poo. That means you're a shithead.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

goatse.cx posted:

Agreed on most points. Though I'd like to point out some of the most vociferous critics of privilege theory are marxists/hard left.

Except that skunk guy thinks you're really a liberal in sheep's clothing (it's bad when the southpark guys hate liberals but not him you see) if you criticize that.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think it's pretty ineffective IMO.

After all my privilege checking I come to the following realizations:

I have an awesome family that has spread out all over, and can help me with stuff if need be.

I have lots of successful friends.

I got a good education that I have put to use.

Luckily, lots of horrible things that could have happened didn't happen to me.

Etc.

Some people can't say the same.

Therefore...what, exactly? Am I supposed to feel bad about that? Because tbh it feels pretty good. I got a little mood boost just thinking about it actually.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Space Whale posted:

Who exactly is going to be witch-hunting you? People on SA? Probably not since I don't see you posting a shitload in other threads outside of this one. But if it was eating you that much, pay tenbux and get a new account.

Are you worried about people on Twitter? Unless you're already internet-famous I doubt anyone even cares about your post history/tweet history whatever. And if you were internet famous then probably enough people would think you had something worthwhile to say and you should probably chill out.

Are you worried about people IRL? Pretty sure they're not going to vet your internet history.

I'm being serious here when I say I think you need like a 20 min break from this thread to have a beer and think about other stuff.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

goatse.cx posted:

Yes and that's where I'm coming from.

They're not critical of the concepts that it tries to address, they're critical of it as a stand-alone theory and it's use in the political sphere.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

wateroverfire posted:

I think it's pretty ineffective IMO.

After all my privilege checking I come to the following realizations:

I have an awesome family that has spread out all over, and can help me with stuff if need be.

I have lots of successful friends.

I got a good education that I have put to use.

Luckily, lots of horrible things that could have happened didn't happen to me.

Etc.

Some people can't say the same.

Therefore...what, exactly? Am I supposed to feel bad about that? Because tbh it feels pretty good. I got a little mood boost just thinking about it actually.

you are bad at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

It's not that you feel you don't owe anyone apologies, it's that you don't think you acted like a dick. If you think slurs are cool and not stupid and lovely, hey, you're a dick.

Is this kind of vociferous tone policing productive or just something we haven't critically analyzed yet? I'm serious.

In general I support thicker skins, not outrage culture and "I'm so triggered/literally shaking" culture which has made people less able to actually do anything

Zeitgueist posted:

Nobody is going to agree with with your "I play by nobodies rules, language police" crap because it's silly drivel that means you either are actively racist or so insulated from it you don't give a gently caress if you say racist poo poo. That means you're a shithead.

Well, I thought the point of privilege was that white people are too insulated from racism to 'get it'???

• Locked thread