Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

It makes sense because a crushed throat shouldn't be something you throw out to write a guy off for a couple of weeks or less but attention to detail isn't exactly WWEs strong suit lately.

It's perfectly plausible that Dr. Amann misdiagnosed Ambrose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
its actually another crushed thorax, king

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bhester posted:

It's perfectly plausible that Dr. Amann misdiagnosed Ambrose.

"This man clearly has a staph infection."

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I assume The Authority will win at least one Slammy tonight. I wonder if HHH and Stephanie will be able to resist being out there on TV?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

triplexpac posted:

Yeah it was basically "You know, they gave Ambrose a pretty serious kayfabe injury. It would be pretty dumb of them to bring him back less than two weeks after getting his larynx crushed, wouldn't it?"

On Smackdown, doesn't count

Sadly this probably is the reasoning

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

triplexpac posted:

Yeah it was basically "You know, they gave Ambrose a pretty serious kayfabe injury. It would be pretty dumb of them to bring him back less than two weeks after getting his larynx crushed, wouldn't it?"
No you see it shows how tough he is, working through that kind of injury shows that he is a man and not some loser like those sports athletes who take breaks from injuries!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe the reason they gave spent the last month building up Ziggler as Cena's newest Lil Buddy is to free the previous one, Dean Ambrose, up to be Roman Reigns' Lil Buddy.

Seriously Cole said some line like "Ziggler sure helped Cena win at Survivor Series!" He didn't help, he just won because Cena was unconscious.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Sting won Survivor Series for Ziggler. Sting is such a good guy.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
f

Daniel Bryan posted:

Sting won Survivor Series for Ziggler. Sting is such a good guy.

fucken part timers coming in and winning all the ppv main events

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know it's not going to happen but I'll say this right the hell now. IF WWE was dumb enough to do that thoroughly speculative Reigns/Ambrose switch I would have an aneurysm and want the crowd to poo poo on Reigns in spectacular, legendary fashion. And I LIKE Reigns for crying out loud. I'm probably his biggest defender here and that'd make me lose my poo poo in the worst way possible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I love reigns but this whole massive singles push thing is going to die so hard because he's just not ready as a singles worker.

My biggest fear is that they realize this so late that the only person they can put in his speculative mania spot is Cena.

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
Oh boy it's the go-home show for TLC...&S.

Still don't care about any of the matches. C'mon WWE, you've got more than three hours to get me invested in this. Utilise your time!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

I love reigns but this whole massive singles push thing is going to die so hard because he's just not ready as a singles worker.

My biggest fear is that they realize this so late that the only person they can put in his speculative mania spot is Cena.

Reigns would be fine if they weren't actively trying to make him a bland babyface.

He got over on being a wrecking ball. He's very, very good at being a wrecking ball. Have him keep being a wrecking ball!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I know it's not going to happen but I'll say this right the hell now. IF WWE was dumb enough to do that thoroughly speculative Reigns/Ambrose switch I would have an aneurysm and want the crowd to poo poo on Reigns in spectacular, legendary fashion. And I LIKE Reigns for crying out loud. I'm probably his biggest defender here and that'd make me lose my poo poo in the worst way possible.

Yeah, but maybe this ends up being part of the amazing story about how Dean Ambrose became a huge star.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Great White Hope posted:

Reigns would be fine if they weren't actively trying to make him a bland babyface.

He got over on being a wrecking ball. He's very, very good at being a wrecking ball. Have him keep being a wrecking ball!

He should basically be doing what Ryback is right now. He should be a no fucks given asskicker who beats up heels with basic but really over spots, not a bland face who goes for cheap pops and whatnot.

I still think one of the best promos he ever cut was the one he cut with Dean the Raw after Seth sold out. It was cheesy, but it was cool and cocky and angry all at once and it worked.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Bhester posted:

A crushed trachea should have kept Ambrose out for months. That Z-pack must have been powerful.

It was a Dragon Ball Z-pack.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bhester posted:

A crushed trachea should have kept Ambrose out for months. That Z-pack must have been powerful.

Hey, if Triple H can come back from being dropped by a forklift in a week...

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Roman Reigns is a good wrestler with a lot of goodwill and crowd support but if they script him like Cena of course he's going to fail because he's not John Cena and he shouldn't be booked like he is John Cena. they should play up his strengths and hide his weaknesses like they did with Cena at the beginning of his push to the top but they likely won't because they have the idea in their head of what Reigns should be right away (current John Cena)

he absolutely can and should be a top guy but that will come with helping him through his growing pains and continually working to improve himself and not sending him out to be something he isn't

Bard Maddox fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 8, 2014

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/50-off-t-shirts-wwe-euroshop-today-only-2077270?mforwarded=true

For any euro wrassle goons, 50% off shirts today and then another code to get it even cheaper

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Bard Maddox posted:

Roman Reigns is a good wrestler with a lot of goodwill and crowd support but if they script him like Cena of course he's going to fail because he's not John Cena and he shouldn't be booked like he is John Cena. they should play up his strengths and hide his weaknesses like they did with Cena at the beginning of his push to the top but they likely won't because they have the idea in their head of what Reigns should be right away (current John Cena)

he absolutely can and should be a top guy but that will come with helping him through his growing pains and continually working to improve himself and not sending him out to be something he isn't

yeah i feel like they're expecting way too much from him way too soon if he's still planned to win the wwe championship at wrestlemania

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dave and a bunch of other people were saying earlier this year that the Shield was proof that the WWE knew how to elevate the people they truly wanted elevated.

Reigns' recent booking kinda throws that into doubt though. They obviously want him to be "the guy", but they can't seem to understand that there's any other approach to that besides making him a new John Cena that currently isn't as good of a worker and is less confident on the mic.

This is just one of the many problems with overscripting everybody. I think everyone would be a lot more tolerant of his flaws if he was booked as a fresher and more interesting character.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i haven't seen it but dave has talked about seeing roman reigns at press events and he's really quick and clever which just doesn't come across on tv at all with his lame overly scripted promos

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Thauros posted:

Dave and a bunch of other people were saying earlier this year that the Shield was proof that the WWE knew how to elevate the people they truly wanted elevated.

Reigns' recent booking kinda throws that into doubt though. They obviously want him to be "the guy", but they can't seem to understand that there's any other approach to that besides making him a new John Cena that currently isn't as good of a worker and is less confident on the mic.

Well that's how they pushed Sheamus and it's been working great for him!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
What I don't understand is they seem to script Dean correctly most of the time. But that's probably because they don't want to push him as the face of the company, or he's talented enough to make it sound natural.

Either way, I had been watching Raw with my girlfriend and her mom when Roman was being pushed big time and both of them thought he came off as a deserving dickhead in his promos. Just my anecdotal information, but I was kind of seeing the same kind of thing. I understand confidence, and you definitely want him to have some but too much can be a turn off.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Daniel Bryan posted:

What I don't understand is they seem to script Dean correctly most of the time. But that's probably because they don't want to push him as the face of the company, or he's talented enough to make it sound natural.

Either way, I had been watching Raw with my girlfriend and her mom when Roman was being pushed big time and both of them thought he came off as a deserving dickhead in his promos. Just my anecdotal information, but I was kind of seeing the same kind of thing. I understand confidence, and you definitely want him to have some but too much can be a turn off.

Dean talks and rambles so much throughout his promo. I haven't seen a sheet for one of his promos recently but it seems that he takes what they want him to say, cuts to the points of each statement, and works his way to them. Changing the script to benefit his character.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

dean is great but there are things that even he couldn't save, like stabbing a seth rollins dummy in the crotch in the middle of the ring

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

i haven't seen it but dave has talked about seeing roman reigns at press events and he's really quick and clever which just doesn't come across on tv at all with his lame overly scripted promos

The majority of the roster is really charismatic when they're doing their own stuff. Cesaro is very quick witted and suave when unscripted. But they can only read what's written, and what's written is crap.

Steve Austin wouldn't get as over as he did today through no fault of his own.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 8, 2014

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah i feel like they're expecting way too much from him way too soon if he's still planned to win the wwe championship at wrestlemania

Thauros posted:

This is just one of the many problems with overscripting everybody. I think everyone would be a lot more tolerant of his flaws if he was booked as a fresher and more interesting character.

Cardboard Box posted:

I agree with all of this 100%. I firmly believe people would be a lot more behind Reigns promo-wise if they just let him riff more. I don't know if they just script Dean better or what but it's kinda weird how he seems to be the one guy they script well, yet they don't want him to be the top guy (supposedly).

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

quote:

Former WWE Champion Rob Van Dam is currently backstage at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina, site of tonight’s “Slammy Awards” edition of WWE RAW.

http://www.sescoops.com/exclusive-part-time-wwe-superstar-backtage-raw/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Welp, gotta start getting ready for the only time of year financially worth getting ready for

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
RVD will come back, everyone online will get mad, but he'll still get better pops than like 80% of the roster. RVD is the man.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cardboard Box posted:

oh god he literally is Kevin Nash

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

RVD will come back, everyone online will get mad, but he'll still get better pops than like 80% of the roster. RVD is the man.

I'm always going to enjoy the guy, but if the proven veterans build this "I only work WrestleMania season, brother" mindset, what does it teach the fans about the rest of the year?

And are basically saying to current guys "All you have to do is get good enough that you only have to work 3-4 months out of the year"?

I'm fine with all of it, but it just seems to suggest that wrestling might be better off as seasonal, for a multitude of reasons.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Red posted:

I'm always going to enjoy the guy, but if the proven veterans build this "I only work WrestleMania season, brother" mindset, what does it teach the fans about the rest of the year?

And are basically saying to current guys "All you have to do is get good enough that you only have to work 3-4 months out of the year"?

I'm fine with all of it, but it just seems to suggest that wrestling might be better off as seasonal, for a multitude of reasons.

Haha yeah before reading your last line I was going to say, "everyone talks about wanting 'seasons' for wrestling, and here RVD is doing just that for himself!'

It's really not on him to put in a 24/7 schedule so the current guys feel better about themselves. If he can come in and get paid good for him. He spends his time putting over the young guys anyway, it's not like he's coming back like HHH does.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

remember when rvd was the best part of the money in the bank match this year

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

triplexpac posted:

Haha yeah before reading your last line I was going to say, "everyone talks about wanting 'seasons' for wrestling, and here RVD is doing just that for himself!'

It's really not on him to put in a 24/7 schedule so the current guys feel better about themselves. If he can come in and get paid good for him. He spends his time putting over the young guys anyway, it's not like he's coming back like HHH does.

This entire year Triple H has done nothing but put over younger guys.

He sold a goddamn Brie Bella Kick.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh god he literally is Kevin Nash

I think you'll find that Roman Reigns doesn't have a bunch of weird super-fans who collect pictures of him with his hands in his pockets.

So he's Kevin Nash but worse.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i don't get the vibe that reigns is an insufferable douchebag like i do from kevin nash

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

triplexpac posted:

I think Dave said he worked out a special deal with WWE to where he can call them up and say he wants to work the next 90 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Dexo posted:

This entire year Triple H has done nothing but put over younger guys.

He sold a goddamn Brie Bella Kick.

Well you get my point! haha Sorry to tarnish the good HHH name.

• Locked thread