Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Space Whale posted:

Why should I play along with "you slipped up, ooooohhhhhhhhhh, better be sorry!" people? I really don't like busybodies and the time wasting inquisitions they start are something I want to make a point of illustrating and pushing back against!
Their game is making you act like you're doing now though.

Space Whale posted:

Except that skunk guy thinks you're really a liberal in sheep's clothing (it's bad when the southpark guys hate liberals but not him you see) if you criticize that.
The reason why you hate someone often matters more than who you hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Space Whale posted:

Why should I play along with "you slipped up, ooooohhhhhhhhhh, better be sorry!" people? I really don't like busybodies and the time wasting inquisitions they start are something I want to make a point of illustrating and pushing back against!

It's not playing along.

If you're a racist or an rear end in a top hat, or both, own it at least.

But if you're dropping slurs and then complaining that folks call you on it, LOL.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Xibanya posted:

Who exactly is going to be witch-hunting you? People on SA? Probably not since I don't see you posting a shitload in other threads outside of this one. But if it was eating you that much, pay tenbux and get a new account.
In general, for a given slip-maker. I don't care about SA.

Xibanya posted:

Are you worried about people on Twitter? Unless you're already internet-famous I doubt anyone even cares about your post history/tweet history whatever. And if you were internet famous then probably enough people would think you had something worthwhile to say and you should probably chill out.
People get fired for thought crime. There's a getting racists fired tumblr for internet detectives, as a matter of fact.

Xibanya posted:

Are you worried about people IRL? Pretty sure they're not going to vet your internet history.
lolno. I'd be hosed if people successfully interdicked me though

Xibanya posted:

I'm being serious here when I say I think you need like a 20 min break from this thread to have a beer and think about other stuff.

I'm at work doing really tedious poo poo :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Space Whale posted:

You realize I was making a point that a lot of people are just over-eager to drop EVERYTHING and go on a witch hunt and tear people to pieces, right? Or self rightous to the point they say it's the Lord's Work to argue on the internet to save White People™ or something?

Space Whale posted:

Prissy is problematic because it's a gendered insult.

Bitch is problematic because it's a gendered insult.

Also bad is problematic because a long long time ago in the iron age something something it meant sissy pedo???

We don't say "bad" anymore. lol.

This is ridiculous. These are total strawmen based on nothing that actually happened. Doing this is no better than when right wing manchildren make up things about SJWs and feminazis.

edit: what I really mean to say is you're solely arguing against this artificial opponent right now, where before you were trying to engage with reality

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 8, 2014

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Because using racial slurs make you look bad and as you've been saying you are super concerned with people not throwing these things back in your face later. But somehow you haven't realized that by defending it for so long all you've done is cement the idea that you're the guy who really wants to be allowed to use slurs in a world of PC gone mad. How can you not understand that you are doing everything you say you didn't want to do.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Space Whale posted:

Is this kind of vociferous tone policing productive or just something we haven't critically analyzed yet? I'm serious.

That's not what tone policing means, dude.

It's not even language policing. You got called out for using a lovely word.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Space Whale posted:

I'm not defending the g-word, I'm criticizing the concept that I owe a drat thing to people hunting for slips to point out and attack people over.

Is it possible for someone to call you out without "hunting for slips"? Like, do you realize you're shutting out dissent, just like in the McGill article? When someone says you're wrong, you are attacking their motive instead of the substance of their argument. You are insulating yourself from the truth.

If you want a discussion that's about the truth, and not just about scoring rhetorical points, sometimes you have to be the bigger person.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

It's not playing along.

If you're a racist or an rear end in a top hat, or both, own it at least.

But if you're dropping slurs and then complaining that folks call you on it, LOL.

Oh, I'm an rear end in a top hat. I've been formed, forged, quenched, tempered, ground, and honed into an rear end in a top hat. The chips on my shoulder have fine edges. I will own up to that.

I really hate the "Drop everything I'm upset!" crap from so-called wannabe revolutionaries and activists who can't stand naughty words. I can't stand that it's spread to the point trigger warnings have seeped into loving everything. I hate that people with real PTSD and panic disorders are erased when pumpkin spice latte (the more common of the PSLs, heh, <3 the real one tho) loses her starbucks and blogs about it.

If you're really an oppressed person trying to be a revolutionary and change the world consider toughening the gently caress up. I thought these oppressed persons were all tough and worked hard for little pay and had to support lots of people with their work while facing the dread of poverty, their families dying young, and the hopelessness of it getting better in the next generation.

Wait, I faced that, and all these marxoteens are babies looking for poo poo to be angry about! Welp.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wateroverfire posted:

I think it's pretty ineffective IMO.

After all my privilege checking I come to the following realizations:

I have an awesome family that has spread out all over, and can help me with stuff if need be.

I have lots of successful friends.

I got a good education that I have put to use.

Luckily, lots of horrible things that could have happened didn't happen to me.

Etc.

Some people can't say the same.

Therefore...what, exactly? Am I supposed to feel bad about that? Because tbh it feels pretty good. I got a little mood boost just thinking about it actually.

You aren't supposed to feel bad, you're supposed to say "You know even though I can empathize with people who are in a much worse situation than I am I don't actually have a very good concept of what it's like to be currently living that life and I shouldn't assume that I do."

That's it, that's all.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Flectarn posted:

you are bad at this

That's just, like, your subjective standard I am doing quite well considering my background and disadvantages thank you very much.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

wateroverfire posted:

I think it's pretty ineffective IMO.

After all my privilege checking I come to the following realizations:

I have an awesome family that has spread out all over, and can help me with stuff if need be.

I have lots of successful friends.

I got a good education that I have put to use.

Luckily, lots of horrible things that could have happened didn't happen to me.

Etc.

Some people can't say the same.

Therefore...what, exactly? Am I supposed to feel bad about that? Because tbh it feels pretty good. I got a little mood boost just thinking about it actually.

Case in point, assholes are going to be assholes and they're not an effective target of conversations involving privilege.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Space Whale posted:

People get fired for thought crime. There's a getting racists fired tumblr for internet detectives, as a matter of fact.

If this worries you, do not post things on the internet with your real name. Do not post enough identifying information about yourself that people could piece poo poo together. (This is actually good advice for everyone.)

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Because using racial slurs make you look bad and as you've been saying you are super concerned with people not throwing these things back in your face later. But somehow you haven't realized that by defending it for so long all you've done is cement the idea that you're the guy who really wants to be allowed to use slurs in a world of PC gone mad. How can you not understand that you are doing everything you say you didn't want to do.

If I wanted to use slurs I'd still be using them.

My point, which I apparently didn't make clear enough, was that showing weakness makes people tear you to pieces. If you stand your ground or just ignore it, it's better for you.

To my discredit I didn't just ignore it.

hepatizon posted:

Is it possible for someone to call you out without "hunting for slips"? Like, do you realize you're shutting out dissent, just like in the McGill article? When someone says you're wrong, you are attacking their motive instead of the substance of their argument. You are insulating yourself from the truth.

If you want a discussion that's about the truth, and not just about scoring rhetorical points, sometimes you have to be the bigger person.

I'm trying to discuss the problems of rhetorical point scoring!

Zeitgueist posted:

That's not what tone policing means, dude.

It's not even language policing. You got called out for using a lovely word.

Which I quit using once someone said why in more depth than "I said so."

But I didn't concede I owed the point-keepers a drat thing. As a favor to anyone who might be offended I'm glad it was caught, though.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Xibanya posted:

If this worries you, do not post things on the internet with your real name. Do not post enough identifying information about yourself that people could piece poo poo together. (This is actually good advice for everyone.)

It is, but it's kind of odd that people who were saying internet harassment is wrong like yesterday are now doing it...

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Space Whale posted:

Oh, I'm an rear end in a top hat. I've been formed, forged, quenched, tempered, ground, and honed into an rear end in a top hat. The chips on my shoulder have fine edges. I will own up to that.

I really hate the "Drop everything I'm upset!" crap from so-called wannabe revolutionaries and activists who can't stand naughty words. I can't stand that it's spread to the point trigger warnings have seeped into loving everything. I hate that people with real PTSD and panic disorders are erased when pumpkin spice latte (the more common of the PSLs, heh, <3 the real one tho) loses her starbucks and blogs about it.

If you're really an oppressed person trying to be a revolutionary and change the world consider toughening the gently caress up. I thought these oppressed persons were all tough and worked hard for little pay and had to support lots of people with their work while facing the dread of poverty, their families dying young, and the hopelessness of it getting better in the next generation.

Wait, I faced that, and all these marxoteens are babies looking for poo poo to be angry about! Welp.

Nah the problem wasn't folks calling you out it was you freaking out and spending 3 pages in a whining tantrum about how nobody should ever be able to say you're bad.

Like it was a simple thing but you don't get to spend pages on end fighting for your right to be a dick on the internet and then complain that other people are getting upset over nothing.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Space Whale posted:

you're an oversensitive loser imo

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Who What Now posted:

You aren't supposed to feel bad, you're supposed to say "You know even though I can empathize with people who are in a much worse situation than I am I don't actually have a very good concept of what it's like to be currently living that life and I shouldn't assume that I do."

That's it, that's all.

Ok, cool. That's pretty reasonable but then I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Literally the only thing we said was that gook was a slur and you shouldn't say it. Good goddamn you are loving stupid. If you want to go rage at Tumblr then go to Tumblr because all you're doing here is looking like a retard.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Space Whale posted:

You chose a really lovely place to make it your last stand. Please don't be Monty Python's Black Knight, you did pretty well before that.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Flectarn posted:

Pretty much.

I mean trigger warnings aren't even much overused. You can't even use them for valid reasons on this board without getting mocked by reactionary assholes.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Space Whale posted:

You're really talking out both sides of your mouth here. On one side, words are just words, and shouldn't be policed. On the other side, you acknowledge the power of language -- you don't want to "kowtow," and you're afraid (no judgment here) of being verbally attacked. I think you have some major cognitive dissonance about the importance of words.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

If I wanted to use slurs I'd still be using them.

My point, which I apparently didn't make clear enough, was that showing weakness makes people tear you to pieces. If you stand your ground or just ignore it, it's better for you.

To my discredit I didn't just ignore it.

You did show weakness, dumbass. Being a stubborn prick is a weakness. Now you are the "gook poster". Great job.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 8, 2014

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Zeitgueist posted:

Nah the problem wasn't folks calling you out it was you freaking out and spending 3 pages in a whining tantrum about how nobody should ever be able to say you're bad.

I was't whining, I was making a point that you don't like, so it's whining.

Zeitgueist posted:

Like it was a simple thing but you don't get to spend pages on end fighting for your right to be a dick on the internet and then complain that other people are getting upset over nothing.

"you don't get to...." says who?

Who loving made everyone keep harping on it? I responded, to them!

Gantolandon posted:

You chose a really lovely place to make it your last stand. Please don't be Monty Python's Black Knight, you did pretty well before that.

Yes my posting career died on this hill. I'm a Space Ghost.

Flectarn posted:

:allears:

Who What Now posted:

Literally the only thing we said was that gook was a slur and you shouldn't say it. Good goddamn you are loving stupid. If you want to go rage at Tumblr then go to Tumblr because all you're doing here is looking like a retard.

I take it you're not counting the posters saying things like "you should be sorry you're bad you're beyond hope I'm doing god's work".

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

wateroverfire posted:

Ok, cool. That's pretty reasonable but then I don't see what all the fuss is about.

The fuss is because folks DO want to tell people that they know how it is to live a person's live because they've lived 1/5 of it's aspects.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

You did show weakness, dumbass. Rig a stubborn prick is a weakness. Now you are the "gook poster". Great job.

Can I be space gook?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Space Whale posted:

"you don't get to...." says who?

Wow, you are a baby.

Alright then, nobody gets to tell you what to do man.

No, gently caress you dad.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

The fuss is because folks DO want to tell people that they know how it is to live a person's live because they've lived 1/5 of it's aspects.

Well ok let's stipulate that no one can speak to the lived experiences of anyone else because, you know, you didn't actually live that. What follows from that? Don't we have to find common ground to organize?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

Who loving made everyone keep harping on it?

You did. By not admitting you were wrong at the start. You're so obsessed with being perceived as an Internet toughguy that you dug your own goddamn hole.

quote:

I take it you're not counting the posters saying things like "you should be sorry you're bad you're beyond hope I'm doing god's work".

You're right, I'm not counting those posters because they don't exist in anywhere except in your mind to fuel your need to be persecuted.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 8, 2014

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Quit being pedantic. This poo poo is precisely why OWS failed. Maybe you guys should work on core ideology instead of tripping over yourselves whenever race or feminism is brought up. This is not Tumblr.

e: phoneposting

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 8, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Four pages since the event, and "someone said a bad word" has completely taken over the discussion. Telling, I think.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

You did. By not admitting you were wrong at the start. You're so obsessed with being perceived as an Internet toughguy that you dug your own goddamn hole.
I made them give me something to respond to.

Who What Now posted:

You're right, I'm not counting those posters because they don't exist in anywhere except in your mind to fuel your need to be persecuted.
I guess I should ask for your ignore list?

Job Truniht posted:

Quit being pedantic. This poo poo is precisely why OWS. Maybe you guys should work on core ideology instead of tripping over yourselves whenever race or feminism is bright up. This is not Tumblr.

Strudel Man posted:

Four pages since the event, and "someone said a bad word" has completely taken over the discussion. Telling, I think.

And we have more people who are getting it...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Who What Now posted:

Well, at least part of it does.

SedanChair posted:

You're doing this to get a laugh. I'm busy doing the Lord's work.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

The Snark posted:

I am actually rather curious what your purpose in espousing your nihilistic philosophy is? If it spreads, it doesn't solve any problems. The natural reaction to accepting 'the only war that matters is lost the world is ended' would seem to be apathy or hedonism which either does nothing to help or quite likely makes things actively worse.

Is it just to grab a bit of an ego boost by bragging about how you alone see things as they truly are on the way to sticking your head in an improbably still gas-fueled oven?

The point of "espousing my nihilistic philosophy" is to illustrate a very real problem in leftist discourse and activism, which is an overwhelming feeling of futility. I am not actually in favor of self-flagellation until the end of the world, but I am also not deluded enough to ignore the fact that any action I might choose to take is most likely pointless. This is a sentiment I've seen in a lot of younger leftists I've talked to and worked with, and I think it contributes to the trends currently in vogue. Arguing endlessly about the minutiae of tone and privilege is the rhetorical equivalent of sticking a q-tip in an itchy ear. It feels like it should help, but it's not actually going to stop the itch and you're probably just going to end up hurting yourself if you do it too much. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier than going to the doctor, so you've got all of these college groups tearing themselves to pieces about the proper hyphenation of trans identities instead of focusing their attention on actionable causes. I think that part of the reason why this happens is that, in the back of our minds, there's this inescapable notion that there simply ARE no actionable causes.

As for the article, I think that it's also illustrative of some of the issues I've discussed, though I think that deradicalization is probably the last thing the American left needs and that approaching complex societal issues from the lens of an engineer is destined for spectacular failure. At this point, though, a bad plan now is better than a good plan when half of the global population has died from starvation and dehydration.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Totally mindful revolutionaries are totally aware that everything stops and loving hinges on someone being contrite for a loving slip. And are OK with it.

There is a reason y'all get trolled so much and don't do poo poo. That Anarchist meeting in Portland with WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED WITH YOUR VIOLENCE (like anyone in that entire city could throw a hook without breaking their wrist and at least two phalanges) is basically a distilled spirit of the foamy beer that is this problem.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Whale posted:

I made them give me something to respond to.

Yes, had you just said "I didn't know it was a slur and I apologize if I offended anyone" and dropped it then it would have stopped. This is all on you.

quote:

I guess I should ask for your ignore list?

No one.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

D&D is I think the best remedy for leftist tendencies. Like, I would show someone this thread and say "See, these are your allies" and they'd be scared off for years.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
If you are not up for LF posting and class warfare, don't be a socialist. There was no mandate by anyone that socialism being this utopian bullshit when inequality is a real loving problem that should be addressed on its own.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Yes, had you just said "I didn't know it was a slur and I apologize if I offended anyone" and dropped it then it would have stopped. This is all on you.

I'm literally so all powerful I loving made everyone do this poo poo?

Well gosh, I really am loving sorry then. I should learn to control my amazing powers.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Space Whale posted:

Totally mindful revolutionaries are totally aware that everything stops and loving hinges on someone being contrite for a loving slip. And are OK with it.

There is a reason y'all get trolled so much and don't do poo poo. That Anarchist meeting in Portland with WE WILL NOT BE SILENCED WITH YOUR VIOLENCE (like anyone in that entire city could throw a hook without breaking their wrist and at least two phalanges) is basically a distilled spirit of the foamy beer that is this problem.

this whole tough guy posting thing doesn't really work when you've spent 5 pages crying that someone called you racist lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

wateroverfire posted:

D&D is I think the best remedy for leftist tendencies. Like, I would show someone this thread and say "See, these are your allies" and they'd be scared off for years.
It's certainly been my experience. I still hold mostly leftist views, but I've basically completely given up on the 'movement.'

Not that it's completely attributable to my experiences here, of course. They're definitely a contributor, though.

• Locked thread