Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

T1g4h posted:

Yay, beat the final story mission finally. I also ended up spending my spare cash on a Miura SV + Performance kit on it, holy gently caress that thing is fast. I've got all Plat parts and it just rips. It's actually almost as quick as my Circuit spec car :v:

Yeah man the Miura (no, android, I don't mean Micra) is really good. I don't think it's quite as fast at the top end as the Viper, but it moves so well, and handles awesome too. And it's so pretty :swoon:

I just want another spec or two for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Skiant posted:

Woop woop, I got my level 50.
Now I'm basically trying to 100% that poo poo, but I haven't tried out PvP yet, I'll probably get into that between sessions of unlocking Platinum 50 parts.

If anyone is looking to add people to the uplay friend list for faction missions, I've got the same nick over there.

I need more people to crew with, see ya there.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
These takedown missions are the single greatest argument for not playing this game anymore. Holy poo poo I hate them. They're basically mandatory for you to replay at least once, and sometimes when it seems like I'm coming in hard on the target my car takes away so few points from its health that it's like I'm driving a giant pillow with wheels.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Viridiant posted:

These takedown missions are the single greatest argument for not playing this game anymore. Holy poo poo I hate them. They're basically mandatory for you to replay at least once, and sometimes when it seems like I'm coming in hard on the target my car takes away so few points from its health that it's like I'm driving a giant pillow with wheels.
I'm taking down cars just fine. Clearly you just need to spend more real life money cash on car bumpers. :shrug:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Great Joe posted:

I'm taking down cars just fine. Clearly you just need to spend more real life money cash on car bumpers. :shrug:

That doesn't help when they give you a different car for the mission that's crappier than all the cars you own. :(

This one in particular really got to me because of that.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Great Joe posted:

Why am I buying bumpers with Fun bux?
I still haven't touched mine from joining a faction.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Croccers posted:

Why am I buying bumpers with Fun bux?
I don't know. Please be sure to use plenty of Crew Credits which you can purchase on Ubisoft's uPlay store.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I feel like I'm slogging through the story missions now. I still love bombing around in open world doing whatever, but having to level up with the story missions makes me sad. The races all feel kinda rigged and there's some serious physics issues that make driving in certain locations loving hard as poo poo for no reason.

Just did a story mission where you race 5 other cars through a downtown area. Sounds fine, but the cars go HAYWIRE when you touch a sidewalk curb or drive up/down a highway cloverleaf. I've raced in a lot of games and understand off-camber dynamics, weight shifting, all that stuff but this is out of left field. Everything is unpredictable. Dirt racing is considerably better because it's predictable, even if it's wonky as poo poo.

Re: takedown missions - I found the trick that works for me. The car you have to takedown always goes the same route. On the first run, just stick with him, memorize a few moves, then restart. On run two, line up an intercept t-bone and hope that it does enough, or hit him and try to bump him a few times as he's recovering.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Great Joe posted:

I don't know. Please be sure to use plenty of Crew Credits which you can purchase on Ubisoft's uPlay store.

Haha yeah, more like UbiSHIT am I right?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Shadowlz posted:

Haha yeah, more like UbiSHIT am I right?
That reminds me, I wonder if in a year's time, we'll get another funtime post-modern spinoff game like Call of Juarez Gunslinger and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Ubisoft is good at those mid-budget romps and I hope they'll continue making them. :)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

AirRaid posted:

Yeah man the Miura (no, android, I don't mean Micra) is really good. I don't think it's quite as fast at the top end as the Viper, but it moves so well, and handles awesome too. And it's so pretty :swoon:

I just want another spec or two for it.

Same. If they added a Miura Street spec it'd become my new main Street car for sure.

Also, speaking of adding specs, I can't wait for them to add the missing ones you get to see but never use. I saw an AI in a Perf spec Hummer H1 last night, I need this in my garage now. It'd be the perfect way to mess with people :getin:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Also, speaking of adding specs, I can't wait for them to add the missing ones you get to see but never use.
Just wait a few months, they'll come out eventually as 10-dollar DLC :)

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I've found the trick to intercepts is to play them in co-op. It turns them from annoying slog to hilarious physics adventure.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Some of the chase missions are just mean. Getting chased by cops is one thing, but getting chased by cops in my underleveled street spec car :suicide:

I guess I'm farming parts for my street spec car tonight.

e: Incidentally, which car are you guys using for street spec? I'm pretty satisfied with the Hotrod but I might as well ask before I go on a leveling spree.

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 8, 2014

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

kuroiXiru posted:

Some of the chase missions are just mean. Getting chased by cops is one thing, but getting chased by cops in my underleveled street spec car :suicide:

e: Incidentally, which car are you guys using for street spec? I'm pretty satisfied with the Hotrod but I might as well ask before I go on a leveling spree.

I mostly used my Focus for Street and Perf specs since it handles really great, including in weird grip areas (I'm looking at you, Salt Lake City missions).

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

kuroiXiru posted:

Each mission tells you the recommended car level for that mission before you start :ssh:

I'm using the Skyline for Street (and Dirt!). Miura for Perf, Viper for Circuit until I can afford something else, not sure what I'll go for yet.

And the BMW Z4 for Raid, because, well,

:iamafag:

Viridiant posted:

That doesn't help when they give you a different car for the mission that's crappier than all the cars you own. :(

This one in particular really got to me because of that.

You're going to LOVE the final mission. :v:

You need to chase and take down this Circuit spec Ford GT. Here's a level 430 raid spec pickup truck!

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

AirRaid posted:

Each mission tells you the recommended car level for that mission before you start :ssh:

Yeah, I know. It was underleveled compared to my perf spec. About ~550, still 200+ higher than the mission's level req. Got gangraped by the cops anyway, repeatedly :saddowns:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

kuroiXiru posted:

Yeah, I know. It was underleveled compared to my perf spec. About ~550, still 200+ higher than the mission's level req. Got gangraped by the cops anyway, repeatedly :saddowns:

It shows you the level of your best car for the spec the mission uses though, regardless what youre driving right now.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Great Joe posted:

Just wait a few months, they'll come out eventually as 10-dollar DLC :)

Actually it's been mentioned that they'll likely be added for free, you'll just have to buy them like any other spec. Keep shitpostin' though.

kuroiXiru posted:

I use a 1969 Camaro RS for Street, it's pretty awesome. The trick to police chases seems to be either flat out speed, or bailing off into the forests. They really hate going offroad.

e:

AirRaid posted:

Viper for Circuit until I can afford something else, not sure what I'll go for yet.

I can't justify ever using another Circuit car because just look at it :allears:

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 8, 2014

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

AirRaid posted:

It shows you the level of your best car for the spec the mission uses though, regardless what youre driving right now.

Yep! Mission was 340, street car was ~550, perf car was 865.

I kind of stopped using everything else once I unlocked perf spec and just roamed around the map doing challenges. Went back to missions because I wanted more perks and boom, brick wall.

I think I'll try the Focus, good handling sounds great.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

:v:

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Anyone else playing this with a Logitech G27 wheel/pedals? I am and even though I've messed with the settings quite a bit I can't seem to set an adequate dead - zone for the steering wheel, making it so the slightest movement causes the car to slightly begin to turn. This isn't a problem at lower speeds, but when going 100+ the car wobbles into uncontrollable gyrations making fine maneuvering almost impossible. Needless to say it's quite annoying..

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Keep in mind, their role model while making this game was

Yeah, the marked packs are "time savers" as in "yeahhhh you COULD go through this time wasting grind (none of which is a test of skill, just patience) but hey, slip us €30 and we'll make it go away"

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

T1g4h posted:

e:

I can't justify ever using another Circuit car because just look at it :allears:

Well I know what I'm going and doing RIGHT THE HELL NOW.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

AirRaid posted:

Well I know what I'm going and doing RIGHT THE HELL NOW.

It sounds absolutely glorious too, it has the greatest exhaust note ever.

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, the marked packs are "time savers" as in "yeahhhh you COULD go through this time wasting grind (none of which is a test of skill, just patience) but hey, slip us €30 and we'll make it go away"

Except, as mentioned before, there's no real "grind" to speak of? Hell, the supposed hour+ races usually don't even take an hour, and the Raid ones are especially fun and well designed. Did you even buy The Crew? Are you sinking time into it, or are you just bitching about a game you don't even play?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

I've found the trick to intercepts is to play them in co-op. It turns them from annoying slog to hilarious physics adventure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ENeDjQG1dY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELH2gPxmEPA

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

T1g4h posted:

you get 2k in normal cash just for visiting a viewpoint. There's like 20 in New York alone, cash is fairly easy to come by if you explore.

T1g4h posted:

Drive around, find Data Centers. Data Centers reveal landmarks, and every landmark you visit gives you 2k Bucks. If you drive to New York and hit up all the landmarks there, you can get a fuckload of money really fast. They're not repeatable, but it's a good way to get a quick boost of cash. Oh, also, once you unlock PvP the game gives you a free 100k CrewCash, the microtransaction money. 100k is enough to buy a nice car or two.

T1g4h posted:

Level 10 and buy a Dirt spec car. That should unlock it and your chosen faction should gift you 100k Crew Credits.

T1g4h posted:

Your chosen faction is just whichever one you pick when the game opens up PvP and gives you the option. You start out choosing between... Wolves and Eagles? I think. One for Midwest, one for East Coast. Then as you unlock tuning shops for the other 3 areas, you can switch to their faction. I'm currently in The South's faction, the Crocodiles. Once you buy a Dirt tune for one of your cars and return to freeroam, it should pop up the PvP stuff and let you pick one of the starting two factions, as well as gift you 100k Crew Credits. You're free to switch to any PvP faction you've unlocked later, though you lose your Rep you've gained.

Faction missions are also pretty lucrative. There's a few races that take about 5 minutes, tops, and pay out 4.4k Bucks.

T1g4h posted:

there's no real "grind" to speak of?

Yeah, you don't need to grind, just find every Data Center in New York to reveal landmarks and then visit the landmarks and you'll be swimming in dollars! :suicide:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I love it when games feel like a big ol' checklist of map markers. Gets rid of all that effort you could be taking into actually exploring the landscape for yourself. Why would anyone want anything different?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, you don't need to grind, just find every Data Center in New York to reveal landmarks and then visit the landmarks and you'll be swimming in dollars! :suicide:

Except that's all optional and was my suggestion for a quick cash boost? Story missions give you plenty of cash. So do faction missions. You literally don't have to grind if you don't want to. The only reason I'm even remotely cash-grinding is because I want to splurge and buy the Hummer at some point.

Not only that, but A, Data Centers are -really loving easy- to find, and B, the landmarks can be fast travelled to. Oh man, you have to spend a whopping 5 or 10 minutes to get free cash, holy poo poo what a terrible grind!

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Great Joe posted:

I love it when games feel like a big ol' checklist of map markers. Gets rid of all that effort you could be taking into actually exploring the landscape for yourself. Why would anyone want anything different?
"83,564 UNIQUE D/LS/99,907 TOTAL D/LS" out of the apparent 9,000,000+ sales.
And you know most players aren't going to do that if you don't give them some kind of reason to explore.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Skiant posted:

I mostly used my Focus for Street and Perf specs since it handles really great, including in weird grip areas (I'm looking at you, Salt Lake City missions).

A nicely upgraded Ford Focus got me through that mission on my third try, so thanks for that. I switched over to it for the Dirt spec too since it handles a lot better than the Hotrod in both specs. I'm actually a bit disappointed with how mediocre the Hotrod feels now :ohdear: I hope the Buggy will be better.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

T1g4h posted:

I want to splurge and buy the Hummer at some point.
Funny, I wonder who put the price tag on it.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Great Joe posted:

Funny, I wonder who put the price tag on it.

Your point being? It's an optional buy. You don't have to save up cash for it. You can go through the entire game using only your starter car and never touch it, or the Ferraris, or the Lamborghinis, or any other expensive car in the game, and be perfectly fine. You seem to be missing the point that any grinding you want to do is totally optional, and you're not punished by the game for not doing the sidemissions or hoarding cash. God forbid you have to play the game and do stuff to earn money to buy some of the more ridiculous cars, that's just total bullshit on their part, how dare they do such a thing.

And this is still miles better then Forza 4 and its 25 million dollar Ferrari that you could save up for. But again, optional grind for those who want to do it for fun.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

T1g4h posted:

And this is still miles better then Forza 4 and its 25 million dollar Ferrari that you could save up for. But again, optional grind for those who want to do it for fun.

The most expensive car in Forza 4 was 10 million credits, dawg. Also Forza 4 rained money on you like it was nothing, I can make a million credits in a half an hour in that game.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 8, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cubey posted:

The most expensive car in Forza 4 was 10 million credits, dawg. Also Forza 4 rained money on you like it was nothing, I can make a million credits in a half an hour in that game.

Was it 10 million in 4? Maybe it was 3 where it was 25 million. It's been ages but I remember the 250 GTO being horribly expensive to the point where I only got it with the free car tokens you got for getting the Porsche expansion.

E: 20 million in 3, that's what I was thinking of. My point is, there's way worse examples of grinding for expensive rear end cars. The Crew gives you free money for minimal effort if you can operate the map screen well enough to fast travel to landmarks. Getting 2k for warping to various spots on the map isn't grind.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

T1g4h posted:

Your point being? It's an optional buy. You don't have to save up cash for it. You can go through the entire game using only your starter car and never touch it, or the Ferraris, or the Lamborghinis, or any other expensive car in the game, and be perfectly fine. You seem to be missing the point that any grinding you want to do is totally optional, and you're not punished by the game for not doing the sidemissions or hoarding cash. God forbid you have to play the game and do stuff to earn money to buy some of the more ridiculous cars, that's just total bullshit on their part, how dare they do such a thing.
If the game was just about racing, and taking the cars to high speeds actually felt nice, I'd agree with you. If every single part in every single car weren't for sale for real cash money, I'd agree with you. If actually developing useful driving skills in your own time while in freeroam was rewarded (and no, that doesn't mean annoying gates everyone disables in a menu), instead of just spending time going around the world (see: Carbon cars in Burnout Paradise vs. Jackspots in NFSMW 2012), I'd believe you.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

T1g4h posted:

Was it 10 million in 4? Maybe it was 3 where it was 25 million. It's been ages but I remember the 250 GTO being horribly expensive to the point where I only got it with the free car tokens you got for getting the Porsche expansion.

E: 20 million in 3, that's what I was thinking of. My point is, there's way worse examples of grinding for expensive rear end cars. The Crew gives you free money for minimal effort if you can operate the map screen well enough to fast travel to landmarks. Getting 2k for warping to various spots on the map isn't grind.

You don't need to grind at all, learn2auctionhouse

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cubey posted:

:shrug:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I was talking about Forza, I have no idea how grindy The Crew is but the Forza in-game economy is very easily exploitable to anyone who spends 15 minutes putting setups on cars and flipping them in the auction house. Even if they aren't actually tuned well, just being at the top of their car class will get you a significant profit. I made 2 million in a night doing this poo poo once, and compared with what dudes who are hardcore into the auction house make, that was a pittance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cubey posted:

But Cubey, I don't want to spend extra time or effort to get my fancy car, I want it by just doing the main races, that's bullshit, how dare they set that price so high. Why can't I get everything the game has to offer with no extra effort on my part? :v:

Great Joe posted:

If the game was just about racing, and taking the cars to high speeds actually felt nice, I'd agree with you. If every single part in every single car weren't for sale for real cash money, I'd agree with you. If actually developing useful driving skills in your own time while in freeroam was rewarded (and no, that doesn't mean annoying gates everyone disables in a menu), instead of just spending time going around the world (see: Carbon cars in Burnout Paradise vs. Jackspots in NFSMW 2012), I'd believe you.

I really don't see why you have such a massive hardon for the real money aspect. It's been pointed out time and time again it's entirely optional and you're not punished for ignoring it. You don't have to spend a single extra dollar on this game buying CrewCredits. Period. It's there as an option for players who want to buy all the fancy extra poo poo without actually investing time doing extra races or exploring and it is not a big deal. They don't magically have some advantage over you. You still have to do skill challenges or races to earn parts for your fancy car even if you spend real money on it. It's seriously a nonissue. Not only that, but again, doing races and earning extra cash is legitimately enjoyable and fun in this game. Saving up and buying my Miura felt rewarding, and i'm sure the Hummer is going to be rad as gently caress and worth it when I get it. I don't feel pressured or forced to buy it, I don't give a poo poo about the high price tag. It'll be a fun reward and something to work towards buying while I continue to explore and do the rest of the extra content.

e: not only that, but taking the cars to high speeds and loving around actually is pretty fun? My street spec Camaro is an absolute blast to tool around in, and at 180mph it's genuinely enjoyable to bomb along freeways.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 8, 2014

• Locked thread